Minnesota ownership change in jeopardy?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,680

Re: Minnesota ownership change in jeopardy? 

Post#81 » by ConSarnit » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:The devil you know Twolves fans

An ownership group too poor to buy your team would be a downgrade. This is a good thing

You can't downgrade from the worst winning percentage in American sports. Not just basketbal, all sports.

You can do worse. A bad owner is better than a broke owner. Broke people do desperate things and short sighted things.

Really? How?

Glen Taylor has owned the Wolves for 30 years. They have won 2 playoff series during that time.

I’d rather have the poorest semi-competent owner than Glen Taylor. The poorest owner in the world, with a mandate only to spend to the bare minimum, would still have done a better job than Taylor.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,091

Post#82 » by stuporman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

I wonder if the deposit was nonrefundable... Yeesh...
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,688

Post#83 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:You can do worse. A bad owner is better than a broke owner. Broke people do desperate things and short sighted things.

Really? How?

Glen Taylor has owned the Wolves for 30 years. They have won 2 playoff series during that time.

I’d rather have the poorest semi-competent owner than Glen Taylor. The poorest owner in the world, with a mandate only to spend to the bare minimum, would still have done a better job than Taylor.

shrink wrote:Fans constantly scapegoat Glen Taylor for every bad thing that ever happened in the organization, and never give him any credit for the good. Granted, he has made some bad hires that have led to many poor seasons, and that’s on him (yet strangely made a great hire for the Lynx?). But as I’ve reviewed the performance of owners for the last fifteen years, the three things I want are:

1. Loyalty to the city - won’t move the team
2. Doesn’t interfere excessively in day-to-day decisions
3. Willing to pay the lux when he has a winning team.

Many teams haven’t had an owner that doesn’t check all three boxes. Glen has been extremely loyal to keeping the team here, even when he wanted to sell for years. He doesn’t interfere as far as I can tell - in fact, most of us wish he would have been quicker to pull the plug on some other GM’s. And Taylor has paid the lux four times already, which is more than you’d expect considering how many non-winning seasons we’ve had. If he’s trying to keep the team, he’s doing so knowing he will face big lux taxes, and he has the money to pay them without loans.

And considering the two newest owners that are out, I hate to have to add. .. 4. no one ever accused Taylor of being a racist.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#84 » by shangrila » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:
You can't downgrade from the worst winning percentage in American sports. Not just basketbal, all sports.

You can do worse. A bad owner is better than a broke owner. Broke people do desperate things and short sighted things.

Really? How?

Taylor is hands off and loyal to people he's familiar with, regardless of their competence. That lead to a "Country Club" vibe that kept a guy like McHale around for far longer than he deserved, as well as somewhat leading to the David Kahn experience (as he was recommended by David Stern IIRC).

In recent years he's been better honestly. He seemed to recognise his faults and hired a firm that lead to hiring Thibs as the GM/coach, with the GM part blowing up spectacularly but he was still a decent coach. Moving on to Rosas was good as Gersson did a lot of good work, particularly with scouting, that's laid the foundations for what we are now. Unfortunately the man just decided to put his balls in the wrong hole, among other things. I should mention that Flip was in here as well between Rosas and Thibs, who also seemed to have some promising signs developing the youth before he unfortunately passed.

The real issue with Glen from an ownership POV seems to be that he's so hands off that he becomes oblivious to incompetence or poor management. Which seems insane given he's literally courtside night in, night out, but here we are. If he's got a good FO in place I think he'd be more or less fine, although I do kind of want him gone just so that KG can get his jersey retired and become more a part of the franchise again.

And as much of a breath of fresh air ARod/Lore have been I was never that keen on having "owners" that could barely afford to buy 20% of the team themselves. That felt like a disaster waiting to happen, and still might if they get the sale overturned, but I'd rather Glen sell to some billionaire that can afford the team outright. Someone like Ishbia, even if the Suns have been a bit of a disaster to this point.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#85 » by shangrila » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

But on the flipside, why can't this team ever be normal?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,730

Post#86 » by thelead » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

stuporman wrote:I wonder if the deposit was nonrefundable... Yeesh...

this was my first thought :lol:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#87 » by zimpy27 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:Image

We are **** cursed, even when having best season in 20 years, some embarrassing and soul crushing misshap must occur..

More like the owner has had a team that has been bad for many years and just as he sells they get good.

Can't blame the guy for wanting the team back, he should get to enjoy the success too.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
F Saunders
Sophomore
And1: 266

Post#88 » by F Saunders » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:Image

We are **** cursed, even when having best season in 20 years, some embarrassing and soul crushing misshap must occur..

More like the owner has had a team that has been bad for many years and just as he sells they get good.

Can't blame the guy for wanting the team back, he should get to enjoy the success too.

To be fair, a big part of the reason they got good is due to him selling the team. Lore/Arod hire Connelly, Connelly acquires Gobert, Conley and NAW.

I guess you could argue Glen did is part to get KAT and Ant through terrible management and getting the #1 pick twice...
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,992

Post#89 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

dc wrote:
shrink wrote:ARod and Lore signed a deal to buy the team, but didn’t have the scratch to buy it all at once.

When it was time to pay the first 20%, they didn’t have it. Glen/deal gave them an extension. Glen finally got his money.

When it was time to pay the second 20%, they didn’t have it. Glen/deal gave them an extension. Glen finally got his money.

When it was time to pay the final 40%, they didn’t have it.

ARod and Lore already made half a billion on the increase in the price. It’s their own fault they couldn’t pay the last 40% on time.

Yeah, I gotta side with Taylor here. I didn't follow all the little details of this deal, but safe to say if they had the money to close on this deal a lot sooner, it wouldn't have come to this.

"Kill 'em with Grindness."
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#90 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

Could Lore and A-Rod even pay the luxury bill in the coming years, if they can't even collect enough money to buy a team in like 3 years?
shrink
RealGM

Post#91 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:Could Lore and A-Rod even pay the luxury bill in the coming years, if they can't even collect enough money to buy a team in like 3 years?

My guess is that they would have to keep selling off parts of the team like horcruxes.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,806

Post#92 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

Taylor is doing anything and everything no matter how grey area or flat out dirty to get this deal voided I'm sure.

I don't beleive for one second A-rod/Lore couldn't get the money or a partner in this deal. Who wouldn't jump at that deal?
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,977

Post#93 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

shangrila wrote:But on the flipside, why can't this team ever be normal?

Ant for Ben Simmons, who says no ?
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#94 » by dockingsched » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Taylor is doing anything and everything no matter how grey area or flat out dirty to get this deal voided I'm sure.

I don't beleive for one second A-rod/Lore couldn't get the money or a partner in this deal. Who wouldn't jump at that deal?

My totally uneducated take on it:

- ARod/Lore have had trouble meeting deadlines throughout the process
- Taylor hasn’t held it against them and kept the deal moving forward
- team is now playing very well, valuation is looking a lot better
- ARod/Lore still not meeting deadlines for the last payment
- Taylor has a change of heart, he’d rather keep the team majority now that it’s looking so good
- Taylor decides he’s going to hold firm on the deadlines this time to kill the deal,
- Soon as Arod/lore miss the latest deadline, he jumps at the chance to kill the deal.
- ARod/Lore claim they’re ready to make the deal, but don’t deny they missed the latest deadline. They assumed Taylor would let them keep missing the deadlines and are now out of luck.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#95 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Taylor is doing anything and everything no matter how grey area or flat out dirty to get this deal voided I'm sure.

- Taylor has a change of heart, he’d rather keep the team majority now that it’s looking so good
- Taylor decides he’s going to hold firm on the deadlines this time to kill the deal,
- Soon as Arod/lore miss the latest deadline, he jumps at the chance to kill the deal.
- ARod/Lore claim they’re ready to make the deal, but don’t deny they missed the latest deadline. They assumed Taylor would let them keep missing the deadlines and are now out of luck.

CHA and DAL just sold for $3 billion valuations. The $1.5B sale price was agreed in 2021. That's all you need to know here about what Taylor is saying publicly and every supposed point above.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#96 » by shangrila » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
shangrila wrote:But on the flipside, why can't this team ever be normal?

Ant for Ben Simmons, who says no ?

Jesus
shrink
RealGM

Post#97 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

CHA and DAL just sold for $3 billion valuations. The $1.5B sale price was agreed in 2021. That's all you need to know here about what Taylor is saying publicly and every supposed point above.

Says what? That he’s right?

Taylor even said publicly that if the team wasn’t worth so much, he might not demand payment on time. No one is hiding anything.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#98 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

A-Rod is a workaholic. I admire what he's accomplished after retiring from baseball.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,744

Post#99 » by KembaWalker » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm

Something fishy though, why would they struggle so much to secure financing in the home stretch final payment securing an asset at a price at half its market value? Sabotage? Under the table deals? Doesn’t make any sense to me
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#100 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

shrink wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

Says what? That he’s right?

Taylor even said publicly that if the team wasn’t worth so much, he might not demand payment on time. No one is hiding anything.

Hiding? What?

And you beleive what Taylor is saying that they couldn't come up with the money though...even though they they have pretty likely doubled their initial investments? And are ignoring what the buyers are saying? Ok then. You beleive that.

"We are disappointed with Glen Taylor's public statement today. We have fulfilled our obligations, have all necessary funding and are fully committed to closing our purchase of the team as soon as the NBA completes its approval process. Glen Taylor's statement is an unfortunate case of seller's remorse that is short sighted and disruptive to the team and the fans during a historic winning season."

And he wasn't right and is now likely trying to do anything to fix it, legally binding or not.

Return to The General Board