Minnesota ownership change in jeopardy?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

Re: Minnesota ownership change in jeopardy? 

Post#61 » by Domejandro » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

On one hand, this to me reads like Glen Taylor being a ruthless business man; he has a history of being very detail oriented with contract language.

On the other hand, Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez have repeatedly failed to meet deadlines, and have been largely an unmitigated disaster financially, throughout this process. It’s been extremely embarrassing to see them repeatedly beg for extensions and fail their end of their obligations.

Even if Glen Taylor is being a massive dick and somewhat bad faith, the answer to avoiding this is just not missing basic deadlines, especially after extension requests.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,036

Post#62 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Domejandro wrote:On one hand, this to me reads like Glen Taylor being a ruthless business man; he has a history of being very detail oriented with contract language.

On the other hand, Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez have repeatedly failed to meet deadlines, and have been largely an unmitigated disaster financially, throughout this process. It’s been extremely embarrassing to see them repeatedly beg for extensions and fail their end of their obligations.

Even if Glen Taylor is being a massive dick and somewhat bad faith, the answer to avoiding this is just not missing basic deadlines, especially after extension requests.

OR...

Actually having all the money necessary to complete the purchase when you make your initial offer. That's what Mat Ishbia did. That's what Schall/Plotkin did. That's what the Adelson's did. These guys are too poor.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
F Saunders
Sophomore
And1: 266

Post#63 » by F Saunders » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

Domejandro wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Glen Taylor would have never done the Gobert deal alone.

This isn’t accurate, Glen Taylor signed off on the Jimmy Butler deal and has been a notably hands-off owner (arguably to the detriment of Minnesota).

I know it was never actually stated publicly, but I thought it was commonly believed that Taylor wouldn't let the Wolves include Wiggins in the Butler deal, costing the team Lavine and pick #7 instead?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#64 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Wait - so Lore / Arod have the funds and Taylor is reneging because the team is good? IS that even legal? Or do I have this wrong?

Not exactly. ARod/Lore didn't meet certain deadlines/requirements within the agreement, which opened the door for Taylor to renege on the agreement. But it seems like if Taylor didn't change his mind, the sale would be still going forward.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#65 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Domejandro wrote:On one hand, this to me reads like Glen Taylor being a ruthless business man; he has a history of being very detail oriented with contract language.

OR...

Actually having all the money necessary to complete the purchase when you make your initial offer. That's what Mat Ishbia did. That's what Schall/Plotkin did. That's what the Adelson's did. These guys are too poor.

Taylor also seemed to have some mentorship requirement for selling the team which was weird, and I can imagine off-putting for anyone willing to make a billion dollar purchase.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,672

Post#66 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:The devil you know Twolves fans

An ownership group too poor to buy your team would be a downgrade. This is a good thing

You can't downgrade from the worst winning percentage in American sports. Not just basketbal, all sports.

You can do worse. A bad owner is better than a broke owner. Broke people do desperate things and short sighted things.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#67 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

I get Minny fans are disappointed, but honestly I'm not sure having Lore/ARod as owners is much better. They don't have money.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Post#68 » by dc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:The devil you know Twolves fans

An ownership group too poor to buy your team would be a downgrade. This is a good thing

You can't downgrade from the worst winning percentage in American sports. Not just basketbal, all sports.

You can do worse. A bad owner is better than a broke owner. Broke people do desperate things and short sighted things.

Well, Chris Cohan was just bad. He was "poor", though I don't know if he was broke. All we know is he owed the IRS about $160M (which prompted the sale of the Warriors). Haven't gone thru the math, but I'm pretty confident Cohan's winning % is worse than Taylor's.

He missed the playoffs 14 out of 15 years. If it wasn't for a fluky, last minute run by that We Believe team, he would've missed the playoffs in all 15 years of his ownership. Would've been the worst ownership run in NA sports if that happened. Remember, the NBA is a league where half the teams make the playoffs.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#69 » by xdrta+ » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

Wonder if the remorse is valuing the team at 1.5B, considering the Suns sold for 4B just last year.
dc
Head Coach

Post#70 » by dc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Wonder if the remorse is valuing the team at 1.5B, considering the Suns sold for 4B just last year.

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of seller's remorse.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,564

Post#71 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Wonder if the remorse is valuing the team at 1.5B, considering the Suns sold for 4B just last year.

I assume a court is going to decide this.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Failure To Buy = Playoffs? 

Post#72 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

I haven't done a correlation test, but how much of the Timberwolves brief rise to the top of the standings was because of the sale to Mark Lore and Alex Rodriguez? With that deal called off, do you think Wolves might stumble into the playoffs, to the point they are an easy out? Did Taylor just ruin the Wolves's shot at a deep run?
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,950

Post#73 » by mastermixer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

If that’s the case then Lore should have been able to come up with the money, no?
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#74 » by xdrta+ » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

azcatz11 wrote:

I assume a court is going to decide this.

According to Krawcyznski in The Athletic, the purchase agreement calls for third-party mediation and arbitration to resolve disputes like this one.
dc
Head Coach

Re: Failure To Buy = Playoffs? 

Post#75 » by dc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:With that deal called off, do you think Wolves might stumble into the playoffs, to the point they are an easy out? Did Taylor just ruin the Wolves's shot at a deep run?

I doubt it. This isn't a Donald Sterling in 2014 situation. The Wolves on the court should be just fine this year.

Ownership impacts are much more of a long term thing.

flranger
Senior
And1: 822

Post#76 » by flranger » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm

I got zero blame for Taylor on this one.

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,874

Post#77 » by life_saver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

It does look like it's mostly seller's remorse

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,710

Post#78 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

life_saver wrote:It does look like it's mostly seller's remorse

Read on Twitter

True, but do you blame Taylor?

ARod and Lore signed a deal to buy the team, but didn’t have the scratch to buy it all at once.

When it was time to pay the first 20%, they didn’t have it. Glen/deal gave them an extension. Glen finally got his money.

When it was time to pay the second 20%, they didn’t have it. Glen/deal gave them an extension. Glen finally got his money.

When it was time to pay the final 40%, they didn’t have it.

ARod and Lore already made half a billion on the increase in the price. It’s their own fault they couldn’t pay the last 40% on time.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,710

Post#79 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Also, it seems like a number of posters are using today’s events to take out their anger on Taylor’s past issues.

Easy solution?

dc
Head Coach

Post#80 » by dc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

shrink wrote:ARod and Lore signed a deal to buy the team, but didn’t have the scratch to buy it all at once.

When it was time to pay the first 20%, they didn’t have it. Glen/deal gave them an extension. Glen finally got his money.

When it was time to pay the second 20%, they didn’t have it. Glen/deal gave them an extension. Glen finally got his money.

When it was time to pay the final 40%, they didn’t have it.

ARod and Lore already made half a billion on the increase in the price. It’s their own fault they couldn’t pay the last 40% on time.

Yeah, I gotta side with Taylor here. I didn't follow all the little details of this deal, but safe to say if they had the money to close on this deal a lot sooner, it wouldn't have come to this.

Return to The General Board