Lowest possible ranking for Lebron

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 452

Lowest possible ranking for Lebron 

Post#1 » by Hair Jordan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:51 pm

I think the following guys have cases over Lebron (in no particular order):

Jordan
Russell
Kareem
Wilt
Magic
Bird

Therefore, my lowest possible ranking for Lebron is 7th all time.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,554

Re: Lowest possible ranking for Lebron 

Post#2 » by One_and_Done » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:02 pm

#1 all-time.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,743

Post#3 » by KembaWalker » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:04 pm

Duncan had a greater career than LeBron
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#4 » by The Explorer » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:06 pm

One_and_Done wrote:#1 all-time.

This just shows your bias and the fact that you are not a serious poster. Majority don't have James as as #1, which proves he already has a case for lower than 1.
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Post#5 » by Rich Michmond » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:06 pm

I am a fan of Bird, but could you elaborate on his case over LeBron?
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2,867

Post#6 » by EmpireFalls » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:08 pm

Right now I could probably make a case for 17-18 players over him.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#7 » by dockingsched » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Right now I could probably make a case for 17-18 players over him.

go for it champ.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,554

Post#8 » by One_and_Done » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:35 pm

The Explorer wrote:

This just shows your bias and the fact that you are not a serious poster. Majority don't have James as as #1, which proves he already has a case for lower than 1.

If "most people" vote for Trump will he be any less of a terrible President? Who cares what most prople think. Once most people thought the world was flat.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,439

Post#9 » by Petergrifindor » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:37 pm

Lowest possible 4

MJ, Kareem, Magic.

Anybody else would require a lot of poor arguments.

Lebron resume is not the strongest between these monsters, but he was sooo good in his prime that I can't seriously make the case for anybody else above him.

I have him at 2 or 3. He definitely isn't on MJ's level, and it's a coin toss with Kareem.
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,439

Post#10 » by Petergrifindor » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:44 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Duncan had a greater career than LeBron

But he wasn't as good.

That weights more than 1 championship for me.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,689

Post#11 » by NbaAllDay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:44 pm

4 - MJ, Kareem, Russell.

Very basic ideas below.

Bird just doesn't have an argument anymore. Even if you want to argue peak, Lebron smokes him so much on Prime/Longevity.

Magic very similar to the above, however moreso any defense edge can't be eclipsed by offense.

Duncan is interesting and you would have to argue a 'team value' / better winner narrative as Peak/Prime/Longevity all goes to Lebron imo. So the arguement isn't there anymore.

There is really no consistent criteria that could get anyone else over him imo.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,689

Post#12 » by NbaAllDay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
The Explorer wrote:

If "most people" vote for Trump will he be any less of a terrible President? Who cares what most prople think. Once most people thought the world was flat.

Agenda or not 'ad populum' is not a good form of evidence. The entire of history is proof of that.

The popular opinion does not add weight to truthfulness, most specifically when it comes to the general population.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 347

Post#13 » by Bloodbather » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:50 pm

I'm assuming you mean reasonable when you say possible.

For me it's #6, after that I'll start to take your career comparisons less seriously because I'll suspect a non-impact related criteria like your liking/disliking of a player's personality or style. The other players in the Top 6 would be Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, and Duncan.

I have LeBron ranked #2 all-time, but it's really 1b to Jordan's 1a, and, for me, Jordan and Kareem are the only players with resumes comparable to LeBron's. I'd consider Wilt's case reasonable because of his insane two-way production, ability to perform at an elite level in different roles, and fantastic peak. I understand the Russell crowd's era-based impact on winning arguments, but I disagree with them as I think playing on a loaded team helped hide the relevance of the fact that Russell, while still pretty good, wasn't a good enough offensive player to rank favorably against other crème de la crème players. I don't think him being the GOAT defender and team leader makes up the gap. Still a respectable enough argument based on an impact-based criteria, though. Duncan also has a respectable case because of two-way impact, longevity, and leadership.

Bird and Magic have no reasonable argument over LeBron because of inferior defensive impact and far inferior longevity. Shaq also doesn't because of inferior longevity/availability, though his peak is up there with anyone. Hakeem's offensive impact just isn't up to the level required here because of his black hole tendencies early on, inferior longevity also. I think that's my Top 10 at the moment, I won't get into the rest.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,743

Post#14 » by KembaWalker » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 pm

Petergrifindor wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Duncan had a greater career than LeBron

But he wasn't as good.

That weights more than 1 championship for me.

Tim Duncan was probably better than LeBron at basketball. He just didn’t do the stat chasing heliocentric thing. His offense dropped off as he aged but his defense didn’t, LeBron prioritizes it the other way, obviously
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#15 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm

The Explorer wrote:

Majority of biased old heads don't have James at #1.

LeBron is viewed by many as the GOAT now.

The lowest possible rank for him is #2 but he's #1. He's simply a better player than Jordan, superior and more talented.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,333

Post#16 » by Bornstellar » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:00 pm

I think you could make an argument for any one of MJ, LeBron, Kareem, Russell, or even Magic as the GOAT. So the lowest I think you can rate him is 5th which is nothing to sneeze at
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,826

Post#17 » by Quattro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:04 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
The Explorer wrote:

Majority of biased old heads don't have James at #1.

LeBron is viewed as many as the GOAT now.

The lowest possible rank for him is #2 but he's #1. He's simply a better player than Jordan, superior and more talented.

Right. So I'm "biased" because I'm old enough to have watched them both and I prefer MJ but you're "objective" because you've only seen Lebron and concluded he's better? Makes sense.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,696

Post#18 » by RB34 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:07 pm

This is tiring
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2,867

Post#19 » by EmpireFalls » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:08 pm

dockingsched wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Right now I could probably make a case for 17-18 players over him.

go for it champ.

So it would be a shorter list if we’re talking like peak level or over a playoff series but for an entire season I think I could feasibly defend all of these picks:

Jokic
Giannis
Luka
Embiid
Shai
Edwards
Tatum
Durant
Mitchell
Davis
Kawhi
Booker
Butler
Brunson
Fox
Curry
Wembanyama
Zion
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#20 » by dockingsched » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:14 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

go for it champ.

So it would be a shorter list if we’re talking like peak level or over a playoff series but for an entire season I think I could feasibly defend all of these picks:

Going forward, you’re gonna want to at least read the OP before replying
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to The General Board