OT: Ohtani's Interpreter fired, used Ohtani's money to pay gambling debts.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

OT: Ohtani's Interpreter fired, used Ohtani's money to pay gambling debts. 

Post#1 » by JDR720 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:10 am

The Los Angeles Dodgers interpreter for Shohei Ohtani was fired Wednesday afternoon after questions surrounding at least $4.5 million in wire transfers sent from Ohtani's bank account to a bookmaking operation set off a series of events.

Ippei Mizuhara, the longtime friend and interpreter for Ohtani, incurred the gambling debts to a Southern California bookmaking operation that is under federal investigation, multiple sources told ESPN. How he came to lose his job started with reporters asking questions about the wire transfers.

Initially, a spokesman for Ohtani told ESPN the slugger had transferred the funds to cover Mizuhara's gambling debt. The spokesman presented Mizuhara to ESPN for a 90-minute interview Tuesday night, during which Mizuhara laid out his account in great detail. However, as ESPN prepared to publish the story Wednesday, the spokesman disavowed Mizuhara's account and said Ohtani's lawyers would issue a statement.

"In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft, and we are turning the matter over to the authorities," read the statement from Berk Brettler LLP.

The spokesman declined to answer any further questions, and the statement did not specify whom they believe perpetrated the alleged theft.

When asked by ESPN on Wednesday afternoon -- after the Berk Brettler statement -- if he had been accused of theft, Mizuhara said he was told he could not comment but declined to say by whom.

The developments this week came as federal investigators are examining the operation run by Southern California bookmaker Mathew Bowyer. The wire-transfer payments were sent from Ohtani's account to an associate of Bowyer's, according to multiple sources and bank data reviewed by ESPN. Multiple sources, including Mizuhara, told ESPN that Ohtani does not gamble, and that the funds covered Mizuhara's losses.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39768770/dodgers-shohei-ohtani-interpreter-fired-theft
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,322

Re: OT: Ohtani's Interpreter fired, used Ohtani's money to pay gambling debts. 

Post#2 » by rapstarter » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:14 am

Everything about this story sounds unbelievable. I guess we'll find out more soon enough.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,557

Post#3 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 am

rapstarter wrote:Everything about this story sounds unbelievable. I guess we'll find out more soon enough.

Fall guy. Nuff said
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#4 » by WolfAddict » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 am

How in the actual **** do you think you can get away with skimming $4.5 MILLION!?
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#5 » by WarriorGM » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:30 am

WolfAddict wrote:How in the actual **** do you think you can get away with skimming $4.5 MILLION!?

Be Ohtani's friend.

I think I tend to believe the friend's initial account but then Ohtani's advisors probably got wind of it and then pointed out how bad it would look for Ohtani that money was coming from Ohtani's personal account.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 608

Post#6 » by madskillz8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 am

Lol, it reminds me the Lebron's close friend who buys illegal expensive PEDs even though he is not an athlete.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,961

Post#7 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:44 am

So if it was found that Ohtani bet on baseball will he be banned from the league like Pete Rose?
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,322

Post#8 » by rapstarter » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:46 am

Shock Defeat wrote:So if it was found that Ohtani bet on baseball will he be banned from the league like Pete Rose?

If that's actually the case, you'd think there's a better chance of MLB making the interpreter "disappear" than banning Ohtani.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 823

Post#9 » by ScrantonBulls » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:46 am

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens to Latin American players often. The international signing system in baseball is such a shady thing.
TwitterFingers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#10 » by TwitterFingers » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:47 am

MLB going to try to sweep this under the rug
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#11 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:48 am

Were there magnets involved?
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,709

Post#12 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:50 am

Why would an interpreter have access to someone’s bank account?
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,482

Post#13 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 am

WolfAddict wrote:How in the actual **** do you think you can get away with skimming $4.5 MILLION!?

From an individual no less. Granted, a very wealthy one whose finances contain many moving pieces, but there's still no chance you're ever getting away with that. The answer though is people don't get smarter when they're desperate.

(Assuming this is what happened)
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,557

Post#14 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:01 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Why would an interpreter have access to someone’s bank account?

It’s his longtime friend.

Bottom line - at best shohei is funding illegal gambling. He should be given Pete rose treatment.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 602

Post#15 » by Chokic » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:08 am

azcatz11 wrote:
rapstarter wrote:Everything about this story sounds unbelievable. I guess we'll find out more soon enough.

Fall guy. Nuff said

This is called slander.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#16 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:14 am

rapstarter wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:So if it was found that Ohtani bet on baseball will he be banned from the league like Pete Rose?

If that's actually the case, you'd think there's a better chance of MLB making the interpreter "disappear" than banning Ohtani.

Which is why the conspiracy falls flat.

People like to go against the most obvious thing, but the world (especially Americans) love conspiracies. Ohtani would've basically needed to be a MJ-level degenerate gambler risking almost a billion dollars he has coming in from his contract + sponsors just to get off some bets.

Not impossible, but also complete opposite of what we've seen from his personality.

NFL players get about a two game ban for non-NFL bets in facilities, I think a year if its NFL and not on your team.

Also Pete Rose bet on baseball. At most, what Ohtani would be liable for would be covering for Ippei having a gambling issue and betraying his trust, which would be a hilariously silly reason to give someone the Pete Rose treatment for.

Ippei being the "fall guy" is just a cute story until more comes out.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,709

Post#17 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:23 am

azcatz11 wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Why would an interpreter have access to someone’s bank account?

Bottom line - at best shohei is funding illegal gambling. He should be given Pete rose treatment.

My best friend doesn’t have my bank account and I don’t have her’s. I still don’t get it.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#18 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:48 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

My best friend doesn’t have my bank account and I don’t have her’s. I still don’t get it.

Yeah how would a “friend” be able to take out millions from someone’s bank account?

Was it in a single transaction? Because the bank may have to report large transactions.

At a minimum, you’d think they’d notify Ohtani that this individual is making large withdrawals.

Does anyone let people in their family, other than maybe their spouse, be able to access large sums of money from their accounts?

Maybe Ohtani had so many large bank accounts that he wasn’t paying attention?

It sounds like a cover story, the interpreter did it. Might as well say the butler did it.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,324

Post#19 » by shi-woo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:25 pm

This story is going to be interesting to follow. Not just because gambling in America is such a big topic, but because gambling is huge culturally in many many asian cultures. It's just a completely different world view, and to many viewed almost spiritually. China is obviously the big one, but Japan has also had a long history of gambling, most people know about the Yakuza, but most people don't know how much of an issue gambling is in Japan, even with some of the tougher laws out there (if I recall).

As others have mentioned, the MLB literally blacklisted Pete Rose, and ostracized him from the entire sport, even after he hung them up. They have made a strong precedent that If Ohtani comes into play here, and isn't a victim like the story says, and that might be the straw that breaks the camels back for MLB because they have NO WAY to properly handle the situation without destroying the entire culture/history of the game.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,408

Post#20 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:44 pm

The facts don't seem to add up in this case, so I'm watching with interest to see what really happened.

I would never guess that Ohtani would be a gambling addict, but stranger things have happened. I still lean towards the interpreter being at fault, just have to see how things play out.

Broken record alert, but we're going to see more and more of this type of **** now that the leagues are embracing gambling. Hanger ons and staff will be caught betting and make people suspicious of their star patrons by association.

Return to The General Board