Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,820

Re: Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear 

Post#121 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:45 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Once again every job has a vacation. The NBA gives you a week off.

You seem to be ignoring the point the allstars deserve a week off to have a legit vacation and recover. They are basically still working while on vacation. Doesn't seem fair imo.
You seem to be ignoring the allready get 5 months of vacation.

There's 0% chance you aren't trolling though so carry on

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

Work Vacation!

My goodness dude do you comprehend the difference between a non-work vacation and a work vacation?

No, because there is no difference. There is literally no difference at all. None. Zip. Zero. Nada.
dj20001
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#122 » by dj20001 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:47 pm

KodiakBear wrote:
jc23 wrote:The all star game has steadily declined since Kobe's last appearance. once the old guard is pushed aside these younger cats will bring some competitive spirit back. I envision guys like Wemby and Ant leading the charge.

Lol I hope you don't really believe that. And the all star games have been lame for a long time. Total revisionist history to believe they were good when Kobe was playing

The ASG was lame from 98 to about 2013 or so?
News to me
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,911

Post#123 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:35 pm

The allstar game is still a big revenue generator for the nba. Getting rid of it or replacing it with something they already have like the in season tournament would just take money away from the league and its players. Players won't understand anything until you start hurting their paychecks.
dooki667
Junior
And1: 253

Post#124 » by dooki667 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:52 pm

Even if they play hard I don't see why I would care to watch.
whatever_
Junior
And1: 564

Post#125 » by whatever_ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:55 pm

they should play for an extra playoff spot

whoever wins gets to send 9 teams to the playoffs, whoever loses only sends 7.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,352

Post#126 » by jokeboy86 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:58 pm

dj20001 wrote:
KodiakBear wrote:
jc23 wrote:The all star game has steadily declined since Kobe's last appearance. once the old guard is pushed aside these younger cats will bring some competitive spirit back. I envision guys like Wemby and Ant leading the charge.

Lol I hope you don't really believe that. And the all star games have been lame for a long time. Total revisionist history to believe they were good when Kobe was playing

News to me

Even longer than that. I can speak only going back to 92 but the All-Star game was never really that good and as you get older out of the kid to late teens you realize you were really only excited then because the league's best players were all assembled on two teams like some avengers type thing or if you were a fan of a small market team that hadn't had an all star for awhile and you were glad to see them being acknowledged mainstream/nationally. The only games I really remember are '01 in DC and '03 because it was Jordan's last one. Other than that even when I was young I would only watch the 1st half for any cool highlight type dunks but usually got bored and turned it off.

I still stand by its not that the all-star game has mysteriously got really bad the past couple years and worst then ever before but more due to the fact that in general people's attention spans have gotten shorter and that's the case for TV viewing audiences in addition to the fact that people have tons more options of things to watch or consume. Remember MTV's VMAs used to be a really big deal in the media and now you hardly ever hear about it? Even the Grammys/Oscars (the shows themselves) don't seem to be as big as they used to be aside from the occasion when some random event happens(La La Land/Moonlight/Chris Rock slap) and most of the time there's no warning so it's not like people are already tuned in.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,352

Post#127 » by jokeboy86 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:04 pm

mastermixer wrote:I dumbfounded as to how the All Star game keeps coming up as a taking point.

No one really cares about the competitiveness of the all star game

Fix the damn competitiveness of the regular season.

This. It's really not that important. It's just that with the mass abundance of talking head shows in this era not to mention with YT channels and now podcasts that is what dictates unfortunately what is discussed now in sports and sports media. To the point that it gets so loud that players/owners and league commissioners have to acknowledge these nothing burger stories.
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#128 » by dj20001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:38 am

Rendei wrote:The worst part about watching the All Star game is knowing that a lot of those guys are probably going harder during pick up games. It's baffling because most of them are hyper competitive, but apparently the all star game qualifies as some sort of exception.

That's the main crux with the "injury" and money arguments.

Why choose the game with the best talent to coast, but go harder in open runs with has beens and never was type guys for free.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,652

Post#129 » by NBA4Lyfe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:40 am

i hate all star weekend because of the envitable week long wait i have to endure for the regualr season games resume.. thats the worst part of it to me
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#130 » by dj20001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:51 am

jokeboy86 wrote:
dj20001 wrote:
KodiakBear wrote:Lol I hope you don't really believe that. And the all star games have been lame for a long time. Total revisionist history to believe they were good when Kobe was playing

News to me

Even longer than that. I can speak only going back to 92 but the All-Star game was never really that good and as you get older out of the kid to late teens you realize you were really only excited then because the league's best players were all assembled on two teams like some avengers type thing or if you were a fan of a small market team that hadn't had an all star for awhile and you were glad to see them being acknowledged mainstream/nationally. The only games I really remember are '01 in DC and '03 because it was Jordan's last one. Other than that even when I was young I would only watch the 1st half for any cool highlight type dunks but usually got bored and turned it off.

I still stand by its not that the all-star game has mysteriously got really bad the past couple years and worst then ever before but more due to the fact that in general people's attention spans have gotten shorter and that's the case for TV viewing audiences in addition to the fact that people have tons more options of things to watch or consume. Remember MTV's VMAs used to be a really big deal in the media and now you hardly ever hear about it? Even the Grammys/Oscars (the shows themselves) don't seem to be as big as they used to be aside from the occasion when some random event happens(La La Land/Moonlight/Chris Rock slap) and most of the time there's no warning so it's not like people are already tuned in.

You're making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. People are just asking for the players to try. It's not keeping people's attention because the quality of the game isn't as good. That's the feedback you're even being given in this thread. Let's start there, and if the game still sucks, we can keep it moving.

To suggest people aren't able to tell a difference in something many of us have watched every year, for multiple decades in my case, is ignorant.

If I wasn't a Kobe fan, I'd downplay the ASG too. He used to dominate them. You'll probably get the most pushback on the ASG being important from LBJ fans first and foremost, in addition to general commentary on the alleged skill level of players from previous eras.
SearsTower
Sixth Man
And1: 1,210

Post#131 » by SearsTower » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:09 am

Just make the whole weekend various skills competitions and celebrity games. If I want to watch superstars play together then I'll wait for the Olympics or for the next super team collusion.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,567

Post#132 » by WolfAddict » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:25 am

Wait a minute... You **** get holidays/vacations!!!!!?????????

I need a career change
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,629

Post#133 » by JayMKE » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:51 am

Just give em more rest, get rid of ASG and back2backs
FREE GIANNIS
2klegend
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#134 » by 2klegend » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:26 am

The issues with the All-Stars game has nothing to do with players wanting extra vacations or more money. The players have the whole summer of vacation already and if they want All-Stars weekend vacation, just fake injuries and let the league selects a replacement for them. So no I don't buy that shiest. More money is not the issue either. $1 million don't mean much when they are making 50mil a year. The solution is really on the media. To bring back the competitive edge of these players, the media need to hype up about individual match-up. Put these players on the social media spot to be embarrassed by fan. Back in the days, when we have ASG we have Shaq/Ewing vs Hakeem/David, Kobe vs Tmac, Kobe vs Lebron, Jordan vs Clyde, Barkley vs Malone, etc.. as an extra side show to the AS game. I miss that individual match up hype that media used to promote.
My Top 100+ GOAT (Peak, Prime, Longevity, Award):
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1464952
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,447

Post#135 » by Jables » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:29 am

2020 or so - the All Star MVP shall honour Kobe Bryant forever
2024 - yeah kill it, no one cares

Idk, maybe it's just me but Silver could try doing his job and getting players to care. There's a very clear pattern of disinterest from when they made the All Star game corporate and based on East vs West 'rivalry' to the modern incarnation. Genuinely, just put players in their colours and they'll remember that it's their job and not a thing for the media.

Like someone said these guys go harder in pick up games but are scared of going all out during the All Star game, or even showing up to the dunk contest against another star? Just refocus on making it an actual competition.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 957

Post#136 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:19 am

this man has single-handedly ruined this sport. What a colossal failure he's been as the commissioner. The awful officiating, team-hopping, players sitting out, all-star game is dead, players that hate the fans, fake offensive numbers, etc. Just an absolute disaster
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,706

Post#137 » by ChuckChilly » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:29 am

I wouldn't mind getting rid of it just to see people stop complaining about it.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,706

Post#138 » by ChuckChilly » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:33 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:this man has single-handedly ruined this sport. What a colossal failure he's been as the commissioner. The awful officiating, team-hopping, players sitting out, all-star game is dead, players that hate the fans, fake offensive numbers, etc. Just an absolute disaster

Honestly most of the things you listed are more of result of the modern age of society than Silver's decisions. If anything, its Silver making his decisions as a reaction to trying to stay relevant in todays world.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,795

Post#139 » by Michael Jordan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:33 am

Replace the AS game with a new concept that people will be interested in tuning into. For example a 3 team tournament with short games.

People will be interested in tuning into the new concept at the very least.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,202

Post#140 » by M2J » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:43 am

Nate505 wrote:
M2J wrote:
Nate505 wrote:I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Who cares if it is or not. There are people saying not to even give them a break.

Fact is, if anyone has a job or goes to school. Especially one where it involves physical labor, traveling constantly... You deserve and your body needs a break. Plus their families need to see them

They literally spend half their in season games at home, and get 4 months off a year. And most players get more than 4 months.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you think that is exactly how it works and they dont deserve 7 days off after 4.5 months of what they do.... You're tripping

Return to The General Board