Is this the greatest western conference ever?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Re: Is this the greatest western conference ever? 

Post#61 » by zimpy27 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:14 am

ajones9219 wrote:No but some are underestimating it. I'd take the field over the nuggets easily

Only because injuries can happen to Nuggets.

If completely healthy no one beats Denver in a series.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,586

Post#62 » by ajones9219 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:53 am

zimpy27 wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:No but some are underestimating it. I'd take the field over the nuggets easily

Disagree. They are the favorites out west but I wouldn't be shocked if any of the Clippers, Thunder, Wolves, or Mavs beat them. Repeating is extremely difficult.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,942

Post#63 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:15 am

ajones9219 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Disagree. They are the favorites out west but I wouldn't be shocked if any of the Clippers, Thunder, Wolves, or Mavs beat them. Repeating is extremely difficult.

I agree, naturally people will predict the champions to repeat because it makes sense but in reality only Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Heatles and Warriors have done it this century. So the last one was in 2018.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#64 » by zimpy27 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:48 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

I agree, naturally people will predict the champions to repeat because it makes sense but in reality only Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Heatles and Warriors have done it this century. So the last one was in 2018.

Cavs probably do it in 14-15 and 15-16 if healthy.
Lakers might have in 20-21 if healthy.

Health is usually the stopper of dominant teams repeating IMO.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,586

Post#65 » by ajones9219 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:58 am

zimpy27 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:

Denver isn't dominant by most metrics though and have to compete with a team that is dominate by basically every historical metric
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,942

Post#66 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:00 am

zimpy27 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:

Eh not crazy about the hypothetical game, because then you can get into "if Draymond wasn't suspended" etc... and then we're doing not just the Finals but Lakers were going to go all the way if healthy? Many feel they weren't winning in 2020 without the bubble. They would have had to earn it and can't just be crowned if healthy. Many teams have injuries like you say, but that doesn't mean you can just pencil in a repeat. They didn't feel like any sort of dynasty to me, and they've had chances to prove it after but haven't. (although different rosters, but Lebron and AD)
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#67 » by Statlanta » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:10 am

One_and_Done wrote:This is definitely a chance for Jokic to prove last year wasn't a one off. The competition is much stronger in theory, but let's see who is healthy come playoffs. If Jokic somehow dodges all the pick and roll heavy teams again though I'm going to be annoyed.

Can't blame Jokic for not having to play prime HOF PGs anymore. Hell as a fan it sucked seeing his defense get judged for playing prime Chris Paul, Stephen Curry and Damian Lillard while Giannis/Embiid play Terry Rozier, Goran Dragon and Trae Young.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#68 » by Statlanta » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:14 am

Id wait till the playoffs to judge. If the young high seeded teams(Kings, Pelicans, Thunder) lose to the old guard it will dampen the legitimacy
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,228

Post#69 » by CodeBreaker » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:18 am

Jokic will prove once again..

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Post#70 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:42 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:The 2003-04 Western Conference had the highest win % against the Eastern conference out of any Western conference ever
Wow, the East was terrible that season. 2 playoff teams with losing records, 2 .500 playoff teams, and the 4 seed was only 1 game above .500
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,533

Post#71 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:07 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:2007-2008 western conference had the Phoenix suns winning 55 games and were the 6th seed, the 8th seed nuggets won 50 games and the 9th seed warriors missed the playoffs going 48-34, 10th seed blazers were a solid 41-41 team too.

Even more recent 2014 west. Mavs at 8 49, Suns at 9 48 and Loves Wolves at 40. And The top team had 62 wins, second 59. So not only did the west have a 60 win team, they STILL managed those records on the bottom teams.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#72 » by NYPiston » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:27 pm

Not the greatest because the top of the west is relatively weak compared to some of the great western conferences of the past but the depth is pretty crazy.
You have an MVP candidate in the 8th seed currently, LeBron, Davis, Curry etc. in the Play In.
turnaroundJ
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,341

Post#73 » by turnaroundJ » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:08 pm

standings are 11 deep and steve kerr decides to bench an all-time great not too far off from prime level for like 60% of the last 15 minutes of a must-win game. what the hell lol. at least let him go out with some more playoff games to play.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,576

Post#74 » by Harry Garris » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:34 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:historically it has been yeh

Looks like you didn't watch the playoffs last year.

Hence my comments; he didn't really play any high PnR teams last yr.

Look I know its very common on the internet to act like we can identify super simple solutions to complex problems that people who actually work in the field are seemingly unable to solve, but it's really not that simple. If you could expose Jokic by running 90 PnR possessions per game, teams would do that.

Teams can't do that in reality though because running such a simplified and predictable offense would make them very easy to guard and the Denver defense would adjust to neutralize such an offense.

There are counters that exist for everything, even if you have a center who's not an elite athlete. And NBA coaches are not dummies. Contrary to popular belief.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,555

Post#75 » by One_and_Done » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:49 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:
Looks like you didn't watch the playoffs last year.

Hence my comments; he didn't really play any high PnR teams last yr.

Look I know its very common on the internet to act like we can identify super simple solutions to complex problems that people who actually work in the field are seemingly unable to solve, but it's really not that simple. If you could expose Jokic by running 90 PnR possessions per game, teams would do that.

Teams can't do that in reality though because running such a simplified and predictable offense would make them very easy to guard and the Denver defense would adjust to neutralize such an offense.

There are counters that exist for everything, even if you have a center who's not an elite athlete. And NBA coaches are not dummies. Contrary to popular belief.

Coaches are limited by the tools available to them.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,399

Post#76 » by AleksandarN » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:16 pm

One_and_Done wrote:Again; which ones?

See I knew you were trolling. You can’t or won’t name the teams.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by AleksandarN » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:17 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Denver isn't dominant by most metrics though and have to compete with a team that is dominate by basically every historical metric

They have been pretty dominate in the clutch
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by AleksandarN » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:20 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Hence my comments; he didn't really play any high PnR teams last yr.

Coaches are limited by the tools available to them.

So limited that Malone last year they went 16 and 4. You try so hard yet have a hard time coming up with teams that would expose jokic.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,809

Post#79 » by NZB2323 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:20 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

The Kobe-Pau Lakers also repeated and if you go back a little bit the Bulls threepeated twice, and the Rockets, Pistons, and Magic Lakers all repeated.

The Nuggets only lost 4 playoff games last year.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,555

Post#80 » by One_and_Done » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:40 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Again; which ones?

See I knew you were trolling. You can’t or won’t name the teams.

I'm just unclear on what you're asking me to do here. Name what?
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.

Return to The General Board