OT - Wild ending to NBL finals game 3

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,922

OT - Wild ending to NBL finals game 3 

Post#1 » by AussieCeltic » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:44 am

I know it’s not NBA, but this is too good not to share.

Tasmania was an expansion team in 21-22 and now in their first finals. We have a best of 5 finals so every game is super important.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,802

Re: OT - Wild ending to NBL finals game 3 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:57 am

brilliant. Let me share another one, just a regular season game, but this what former Sacramento King, Papagiannis recently did in Turkish league.

Read on Twitter
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#3 » by nikster » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:52 am

Man basically pulled up from the logo with 3.5 seconds left on the clock and down 1. Ballsy move and crazy finish. Would have looked stupid if it missed tho
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Post#4 » by Bolivar » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:41 pm

I didn't even know what NBL is but I saw the topic name, put it into youtube and there's the whole game actually on some official channel so I watched the last 6 minutes or so. "That's amazing" as Carl Hooper would say. Nice, competitive basketball.
Next finals is on thursday, I'll try to watch it if it's streamed on Youtube like that.
doogie_hauser
Senior
And1: 788

Post#5 » by doogie_hauser » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:58 pm

Bolivar wrote:I didn't even know what NBL is but I saw the topic name, put it into youtube and there's the whole game actually on some official channel so I watched the last 6 minutes or so. "That's amazing" as Carl Hooper would say. Nice, competitive basketball.
Next finals is on thursday, I'll try to watch it if it's streamed on Youtube like that.

Jayson Tatum's Father (Justin) coaches the Illawarra Hawks in the NBL, who were eliminates in the semi finals by Melbourne.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#6 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:14 pm

Is this the best/most exciting the NBL has been since the 90s? I feel like it’s gotten so much exposure since LaMelo played for Illawarra.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,225

Post#7 » by brutalitops » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:20 pm

To pull up at the logo with seconds left on the clock to ice the game is insane.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,904

Post#8 » by Sofia » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:59 pm

doogie_hauser wrote:
Bolivar wrote:I didn't even know what NBL is but I saw the topic name, put it into youtube and there's the whole game actually on some official channel so I watched the last 6 minutes or so. "That's amazing" as Carl Hooper would say. Nice, competitive basketball.

Jayson Tatum's Father (Justin) coaches the Illawarra Hawks in the NBL, who were eliminates in the semi finals by Melbourne.

Yep, that’s the team Lamelo played for before being drafted too, for Bolivar’s info.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,904

Post#9 » by Sofia » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:03 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:Is this the best/most exciting the NBL has been since the 90s? I feel like it’s gotten so much exposure since LaMelo played for Illawarra.

It really has taken off over the past decade. Larry Kestleman took it over and cleaned it up to create a much more polished product. Weekly numbers are on par with the 90s peaks, and the quality of the league has improved leaps and bounds.

If the NCAA maintained their previous rules around paying players, NBL would’ve really had a chance to take off as one of the best alternate choices to college.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#10 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:11 pm

UcanUwill wrote:brilliant. Let me share another one, just a regular season game, but this what former Sacramento King, Papagiannis recently did in Turkish league.

Read on Twitter

7-3 guy that shoots 44% from 3 on the season...it's crazy how many 3s such huge monsters like this and Wemby take now.
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,042

Post#11 » by LuDux1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:05 pm

My name is Davy Monroe
My name is Davy Monroe
My name is Davy Monroe
My name is Da
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,042

Post#12 » by LuDux1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:12 pm

From Lithuanian finals years ago
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,802

Post#13 » by UcanUwill » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 pm

LuDux1 wrote:From Lithuanian finals years ago

years ago, meaning like over 20 years by now. Yes, this was legendary ending, There is something endearing seeing games being played in those old, crappy arenas, but maybe it is just nostalgia.

Jimmy Recard wrote:Is this the best/most exciting the NBL has been since the 90s? I feel like it’s gotten so much exposure since LaMelo played for Illawarra.

Yes, I think so, when Josh Childress signed there years ago, he probably was highest profile player to sign with NBL team ever. Since then I feel NBL has had more exiting players. Bryce Cotton would probably be first guy to enter NBL Hall if they had such a thing.

Mirotic12 wrote:
7-3 guy that shoots 44% from 3 on the season...it's crazy how many 3s such huge monsters like this and Wemby take now.

Papa has been interesting player, but even by Euro standards, he is a bit too slow nowadays. One of the best shot blockers not in the NBA, but probably there is a reason why guys like Motley are more desirable. Very weird draft pick by Kings that was, especially considering their franchise player was a center at a time, but you can't teach size, so it is understandable, tho it was very 2005 ish busted pick right there.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 608

Post#14 » by madskillz8 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:32 am

Meh, after reading the title "OT: Wild ending", I expected the blues to hit that full court shot at the end. To no avail.

Seeing that Papagiannis shot in the thread, I wanted to remind this:
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,922

Post#15 » by AussieCeltic » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:20 am

madskillz8 wrote:Meh, after reading the title "OT: Wild ending", I expected the blues to hit that full court shot at the end. To no avail.

Ok mate. Clearly both are amazing shots.

If you really think a steal, then a pull up 3 from half way to win a finals game isn’t a wild ending, then you’ve got incredibly high expectations which will never be met
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 608

Post#16 » by madskillz8 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:27 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:Meh, after reading the title "OT: Wild ending", I expected the blues to hit that full court shot at the end. To no avail.

If you really think a steal, then a pull up 3 from half way to win a finals game isn’t a wild ending, then you’ve got incredibly high expectations which will never be met

You're right, the one you posted also a final series, albeit a local one. Still, I expected blues would hit that shot so I feel deceived, lol.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,221

Post#17 » by lambchop » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:51 am

AussieCeltic wrote:

Yea I was also expecting something like this to happen.

That said, given the importance of the game, it was an absolutely remarkable pull up 3. Takes balls and skill to do that. With the heaves those dudes essentially had no other options.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,843

Post#18 » by Karate Diop » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am

What a horrendous inbounds pass...
BookerBulls
Senior
And1: 415

Post#19 » by BookerBulls » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 am

Firstly, as a Tasmanian (moved from Queensland 7 years ago) - I have to clarify that this is the JackJumpers 3rd year in the League and 2nd time in the Finals. They made the Finals in their first year, Semi Finals 2nd year and Finals again this year - pretty impressive record to be fair.

Secondly, the best thing about this win was that the inbounds mistake was made by Dellevadiver (yes that's his nickname due to all of the flopping) - then McVeigh hit the Logo 3 right in his face.

Thirdly, if you don't know the NBL - basically Melbourne Utd are the Lakers (gifted everything, major city, major FT differential in most games) and the JackJumpers are the underdogs (from the smallest state in Australia, new to the league, seen as the battlers).

GO JJs
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,678

Post#20 » by LordCovington33 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:55 am

Sofia wrote:

It really has taken off over the past decade. Larry Kestleman took it over and cleaned it up to create a much more polished product. Weekly numbers are on par with the 90s peaks, and the quality of the league has improved leaps and bounds.

If the NCAA maintained their previous rules around paying players, NBL would’ve really had a chance to take off as one of the best alternate choices to college.

I used to love watching the Brisbane Bullets delayed telecast games back in the day (1980s). Not as great as the NBA (talent wise), but it was always intense so much fun to watch.

Return to The General Board