Jalen Green or Sengun going forward?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

shmeakone
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,437

Jalen Green or Sengun going forward? 

Post#1 » by shmeakone » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:16 pm

One thing this Rockets winning streak with Green playing out of his mind is showing is that Green and Sengun aren't the best fits as both need the ball in their hands in different ways.

Do the Rockets have to make an uncomfortable decision this summer/next year and trade one of them?

Rockets fans, keen to hear your thrughts!
My lifetime better have a Knicks championship.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,356

Re: Jalen Green or Sengun going forward? 

Post#2 » by Gusto1903 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:18 pm

You will find streaky chuckers like Jalen Green in every draft lol
They should cash in, while he balls out
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,275

Post#3 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:38 pm

You don't jump to quick conclusions for players so young when youre still far away from true championship contention.

You're paying Udoka a lot of money to find a way to maximize both. Be patient and hope they can find a way to work together because no player can win a title alone.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,951

Post#4 » by Woodsanity » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:41 pm

Sengun by far

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,576

Post#5 » by Harry Garris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:57 pm

Sengun isn’t the problem he’s shown an ability to play well with lots of different guys.

And if Jalen Green isn’t able to figure out how to play effectively with other great offensive players then he isn’t a player you should be building around anyway.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,594

Post#6 » by bisme37 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:02 pm

I mean I've got think there's room for both of them and they will continue to build chemistry and learn to play off each other.

That said, I don't watch every Rockets game or anything but I think Jalen Green's recent play is going under the radar. This is from the email NBA.com sent me this morning...

Since Feb. 29, 4 of the top 6 offensive ratings in the NBA belong to four Boston Celtics. The other two?
Nikola Jokic
And Jalen Green

Rocket Fuel: In case you’ve missed it, the Rockets’ high-flying third-year star has erupted over the past three-plus weeks, turning into one of the NBA’s top two-way players and propelling the Rockets back into the postseason picture after 8 straight wins.

On Sunday, in a 147-119 win over Utah that saw Fred VanVleet put up a season-high 34, Green dropped a game-high 41 points – just one shy of his career-high of 42, which he tied just a few days ago.

Back To .500: The win bumped Houston (35-35) to .500 for the first time since mid-January, when the Rockets were 19-19

Playoff Picture: When the streak started, Houston sat six games behind Golden State for the final spot in the West. The Rockets now find themselves just 1.5 games behind the Warriors – with pressure mounting

What Green’s Done: Houston entered March in 12th place, nine games under .500. Then rising-star center Alperen Sengun went down on Mar. 10, dealing Houston a huge blow. Since then, Green’s made sure they do nothing but win, literally.

NBA’s Top Offense: With Green providing the spark, Houston’s turned into the NBA’s second-best offense since Feb. 29 … up from 20TH all year (!!)

Making The Leap: Green’s game has evolved to make him dangerous at all levels. During this stretch, he ranks second in the league in 3PM – and has the third-highest 3P% for anybody taking 9+ a game

Getting (And Creating) Buckets: Green’s also developed into an elite bucket-creator of late, heating up from deep and getting to the rim at will. Since Feb. 29, he’s 12th in the league in % of unassisted buckets

Not Just Offense: Green also ranks 24th in the league in DefRtg (up from 46th for the year) in that time

Keep Him On The Court: The Rockets are more than 25 POINTS better per 100 possessions with Green on the floor since Feb. 29 (16.3 NetRtg with him on, -9.0 with him off), making his 36 minutes a night crucial

*All stats above are min 30 mpg

Said Green: “It won’t really mean anything if we don’t make the playoffs. That’s the goal everyone has right now. I’m just trying to go out there and be the best version of myself for my teammates.”

So basically he's been killing it and improving before our eyes right now. He's only 22. And not that he and Sengun can't play together (they've been playing together and the Rockets have been good for a young team all year), but with no Sengun he's had more room to operate.

One more little thought... I don't want to start anything with the Sengun fans but are the Rockets better defensively when he's not playing? I'm not really sure but I haven't ruled it out.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,388

Post#7 » by zero rings » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:02 pm

Are we even sure Green is a good NBA player? He’s been pretty good lately, but the body of work for him is rough. I would be very wary of giving him a big extension.
threethehardway
Rookie
And1: 1,773

Post#8 » by threethehardway » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:41 pm

Jalen Green would benefit from playing on a team that loves to run and he doesn't have to do anything but score.

He's a throwback SG 2000s SG. He isn't a heliocentric playmaker. He probably will never be able to run a team but he can score 40 in a row.

I don't think the NBA values players like Jalen Green anymore.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Post#9 » by MrBigShot » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm

Sengun. But Green has way, way too much talent not to become an all star. Just has to put it together consistently.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#10 » by Apz » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm

Would take sengun every day
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,275

Post#11 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:53 pm

The real losers in all this are Brooklyn if it's true they turned down Green + all their picks back for Bridges.
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,431

Post#12 » by OfficialRef » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:06 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:The real losers in all this are Brooklyn if it's true they turned down Green + all their picks back for Bridges.

ugh Sean Marks..
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,945

Post#13 » by EH15 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:28 pm

I think Green has tremendous untapped potential, but we're way to early for this. Just in the last month he's played: Jazz, who have had the worst defence the last weeks, Wizards 2x, Spurs 2x, Suns 2x, Blazers 1x. We need to see the bigger sample size of this 'new and improved' Jalen Green.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,542

Post#14 » by ropjhk » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:32 pm

Thankfully Sengun's injury doesn't seem career altering. It could have been worse and this discussion could have been a lot different.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,934

Post#15 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:46 pm

I tought they should trade Green before, but after this crazy streak of games, the answer is easy

KEEP THEM BOTH
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#16 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:07 pm

Jalen Green got that DAWG in em!
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,269

Post#17 » by Frank Dux » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 pm

Sengun no question. he’s been much better over a longer sample size and plays a premium position.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,957

Post#18 » by ejftw » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:38 pm

Green as character matters and Jalen is echelons above.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#19 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:10 pm

There is no conflict, they started off the hot streak by Green and Sengun playing off each other. Green was considered the highest upside in a pretty stacked draft and it’s showing. Before Sengun started really cooking Green was just seeing too many double teams for a guy so early in his development, and then when Sengun started drawing that off he at first didn’t know how to find his shots, was often passing up open looks and driving into traffic, but even before Sengun got hurt he’d started figuring it out and especially was giving max effort on D/boards. That’s what’s turned me around on him, the D. He had been just awful, but now he’s actually good on D and the offense was always going to be the easier side for him. Trading either of them now would imo be idiocy. If you are looking for a turning point, forget Sengun getting hurt, it was before that, when Ime felt they had improved enough on defence to turn up the pace, and that’s where Green started to cook.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
RapALot
Freshman
And1: 79

Post#20 » by RapALot » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:12 pm

They are 21 and 22 years old and you vultures already want to drive the star-crossed hoopers apart. Plenty of time to figure it out together. What’s been astounding in Jalen’s run has been his work on the defensive end. Always active even without the ball in his hands now.

Return to The General Board