Jalen Green or Sengun going forward?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,745

Re: Jalen Green or Sengun going forward? 

Post#21 » by Calvin Klein » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:14 pm

Is Jalen Green playing team ball or he just doing a Cam Thomas impression? I haven't seen him. I'm honestly asking.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#22 » by leolozon » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:33 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:The real losers in all this are Brooklyn if it's true they turned down Green + all their picks back for Bridges.

Yeah, talk about not selling high on player that was destined to be a great third option. At 26yo, it’s not like he perfectly fits in a rebuild. I’m not sure what they were thinking.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#23 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:14 am

Calvin Klein wrote:Is Jalen Green playing team ball or he just doing a Cam Thomas impression? I haven't seen him. I'm honestly asking.

He’s never really been that kind of problem, shot judgment is more the issue rather than chucking; the Rockets were pretty equally frustrated by the shots he’d pass up as much as the bad shots he’d sometimes take. Ironically that’s imo more of a potential issue with Whitmore, as great as he’s played. But Green was by design their go-to guy until Sengun’s play just demanded more shots.

Again, what really changed about 5 or so games before Sengun got hurt was Udoka really turning up the pace. That could potentially be an issue for a post player like Sengun, but he adapted very well and had some of his best games before getting hurt. Since he and Whitmore went out they ought to be struggling because Green and to an extent FVV are the only guys who can be relied on to create their own shot in the half court at this stage. But Green has just been balling in spite of being the clear focus of opposing defences so it’s working so far, and they create a lot of breaks with their defence and physicality. We’ll see if they can sustain it against better competition and/or when teams adjust to their new style of play.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
picko
Starter
And1: 3,422

Post#24 » by picko » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:24 am

shmeakone wrote:One thing this Rockets winning streak with Green playing out of his mind is showing is that Green and Sengun aren't the best fits as both need the ball in their hands in different ways.

They are 21 and 22. It shouldn't be clear that they 'aren't the best fits' as both players are a work in progress.

The best thing that the Rockets could do is to allow these young guys to grow together and develop continuity and synergy on the court.
Moahst
Senior
And1: 650

Post#25 » by Moahst » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:32 am

They actually play pretty well together, lol. The Rockets will have to make a difficult decision if/when Jalen Green gets a max offer as a restricted free agent. I don't think he's worth that kind of money, but if he can play the way he's played during the last 3 weeks consistently then he would be worth it. I've been impressed with the rebounding numbers more than anything else. He's a very good athlete.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#26 » by Charlesareed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:01 am

Tor_Raps wrote:The real losers in all this are Brooklyn if it's true they turned down Green + all their picks back for Bridges.

Idk why they keep turning down trades like this I lie bridges but he’s a career role player not a superstar or star player the sooner they realize the better they franchise will be going forward
Chicago Raised me
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#27 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:28 am

a winning steak against a bunch of stealth and outright tanking teams really has people impressed. Green is the classic high usage chucking defensive liability. A great tank commander. But for a team that actually wants to win his inability to defend and make plays for others will prevent them from every being contenders. He needs to be moved. Sengun isn't much better despite the narrative and love affair realgm has with him but center is a shallower position so they could win with him provided Green leaves.
Frankie
Sophomore
And1: 115

Post#28 » by Frankie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:02 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:a winning steak against a bunch of stealth and outright tanking teams really has people impressed. Green is the classic high usage chucking defensive liability. A great tank commander. But for a team that actually wants to win his inability to defend and make plays for others will prevent them from every being contenders. He needs to be moved. Sengun isn't much better despite the narrative and love affair realgm has with him but center is a shallower position so they could win with him provided Green leaves.

How much of the Rockets have you actually watched this season? Green has made huge improvements on his defence. He isn't even just a decent cog in a good team defence anymore, he's legitimately a decent defender individually these days.

I feel like your description here is something that would have been true of him at some point in his career but even before this winning streak began, it was obvious Udoka and the coaching staff had worked hard at turning him into a good defender. Rockets have been a top 10 defence all season, hovering around the top 5 most of the season but you're saying Green is basically a cone and Sengun isn't much better.
Frankie
Sophomore

Post#29 » by Frankie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:03 pm

Moahst wrote:They actually play pretty well together, lol. The Rockets will have to make a difficult decision if/when Jalen Green gets a max offer as a restricted free agent. I don't think he's worth that kind of money, but if he can play the way he's played during the last 3 weeks consistently then he would be worth it. I've been impressed with the rebounding numbers more than anything else. He's a very good athlete.

They do play well together. Most of Green's best games have come alongside Sengun, and pretty much all of Sengun's best games have come alongside Green.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#30 » by MemphisX » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:11 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:You will find streaky chuckers like Jalen Green in every draft lol
They should cash in, while he balls out

You don't find guys like Jalen Green in every draft.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#31 » by MemphisX » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:12 pm

Marks should be fired.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,225

Post#32 » by brutalitops » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:19 pm

Sengun. I mean Greens finally figured it out and it might be a case of just getting more reps and usage, but Sengun long run. I think the rockets are far better going forward and will work Green in more
Frankie
Sophomore

Post#33 » by Frankie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:37 pm

Both. The idea that these two don't fit together is only based on circumstantial evidence, since Green has been playing lights out after Sengun went down, but if you all actually watched Rockets games you'd know this Green improvement started quite a bit before Sengun went down. They fit together well. Keep them both.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 801

Post#34 » by Kiss of Death » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:07 pm

Both. No reason to trade either one. They’re likely keeping all 6 core young guys.
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 270

Post#35 » by Zukkoyaki » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:41 pm

I'd hang on to both but if I had to keep only one, I'd go with Sengun. Harder to find his archetype than Green's.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,315

Post#36 » by shi-woo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:13 pm

Green Thompson Smith and Sengun in theory and on paper all fit and compliment each other. They have Tari and Cam to fill in the gap.

I wouldn't move on from any of these guys until they are all facing that 2nd contract. Ime has had these guys playing great defense all year, and the team has played well with both players. Their coaching staff has really developed these guys this year, and given more time in the offseason, pre season, and then a few more years together, and I don't see this being a discussion
Chokic
Senior
And1: 602

Post#37 » by Chokic » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:28 pm

Trade Jalen Green + Cam Whitmore for a star player to pair next to Sengun. Keep Tari Eason Amen Thompson Dillon Brooks and Jabari Smith jr as glue guys/role players around Sengun and "X" star player.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,708

Post#38 » by scrabbarista » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:32 pm

As of today, it's obviously both.

What Green's been doing has been legit. He's playing harder and smarter on both ends and shooting well on top of it.

My only question is whether this is who he has matured into as a person, or whether there's some temporary motivation (like getting that contract for his soon-to-grow family) that's behind this.

With Sengun, the biggest question is will he learn to stretch the floor with an outside shot.

But, for now, these are clearly valuable young players who seem to fit the roster going forward.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,364

Post#39 » by WiggOuts » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:38 pm

Man, HOU can become scary good if they play this right. They still have Thompson and Jabari who project to become very good to plus some other good young players
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,356

Post#40 » by Gusto1903 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:46 pm

WiggOuts wrote:Man, HOU can become scary good if they play this right. They still have Thompson and Jabari who project to become very good to plus some other good young players

I remember i was in a forum once, where the term "scary good" was the ultimate jinx lol
It was so deep, that people of rival teams used it.

and ultimately, it became a meme, when people used it to joke around. Good times man
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020

Return to The General Board