Jalen Green or Sengun going forward?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Re: Jalen Green or Sengun going forward? 

Post#41 » by HotelVitale » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:03 pm

Charlesareed wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:The real losers in all this are Brooklyn if it's true they turned down Green + all their picks back for Bridges.
Idk why they keep turning down trades like this I lie bridges but he’s a career role player not a superstar or star player the sooner they realize the better they franchise will be going forward

MemphisX wrote:Marks should be fired.

leolozon wrote:Yeah, talk about not selling high on player that was destined to be a great third option. At 26yo, it’s not like he perfectly fits in a rebuild. I’m not sure what they were thinking.

OfficialRef wrote: ugh Sean Marks..

Man, whole lot of piling on Marks here, like half the thread so far. We have no idea what HOU was actually offering, think the only concrete thing reported was 'Jalen Green and picks.' (And we don't know how much of the Nets' comments was just negotiating/posturing). Green could easily be a negative contract after whatever huge raise he gets next year, and the picks could've easily been like HOU's own in 2024 plus a swap returned in 2027. That could be a pretty rough return for Bridges, who even if he was overrated could still get back quite a bit from many different teams.

Also I know the situations aren't totally the same but it still seems odd to me how much people think Houston was smart to become a treadmill team instead of a tanker...while the Nets absolutely must make big moves to get out of that situation and tank now. I do get the circumstnaces, but I don't think it's crazy for BKN to bite the bullet this year and give up a pick, then be decent enough that your swap doens't matter much next year (HOU's unlikely to be that great then) as the multiple additional firsts from PHX, DAL, etc start arriving. That way you still have Bridges to trade away (he'll still be really valuable), you didn't tank horribly/embarrassingly for two years, and you've extinguished much of the debt to HOU. And have lots of assets to roll into a rebuild if that's the play. It's not necessarily worse than an average outcome of 'Green plus picks.'
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,733

Post#42 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:21 pm

Both… pockets has almost perfect mix of young and old players.. they could be the new OkC as early as next season
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 544

Post#43 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:27 pm

This is like asking if you’d rather have Jordan Clarkson or Domantas Sabonis
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,708

Post#44 » by scrabbarista » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:23 pm

Green's advanced stats are still pretty brutal for the season.

It remains to be seen whether this last 3-4 weeks will be a lasting change.

I hope so!
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 173

Post#45 » by QMemphis » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 pm

The goal should be to maximize both. They have good assets to utilize to continue building a winner, but for a higher ceiling as a team both players need to hit together.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#46 » by DCasey91 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:18 am

I was so wrong on Jalen. He just looks too small and not a natural gun shooter. Would make a perennial 6th man contender though.

Thought he would be lightning Bradly Beal but that’s a ways off.

Measurements and weight get changed all the time. Eye test is still important

Sengun is legit you are better off with FVV as the guard tandem.

Man peak Lowry today would be such a perfect fit
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,510

Post#47 » by HardenGoat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:53 am

It’s up to Udoka to find the best rotations and help them execute the plan as a team. I don’t buy the Sengun holding Green back narrative based on a streak of wins. I wouldn’t trade either of them.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,749

Post#48 » by VanWest82 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:59 am

Obviously both, but is it a coincidence that Fred Vanvleet has been the guy with the ball in his hands the entire time? Sengun was his PnR partner until Sengun got hurt. Then Houston started using a Thompson brother as a roller and Fred shifted their offense to setting up Green. Who's really responsible here? Offense was clicking in both circumstances.

Tl;dr is both Sengun and Green are incredibly talented and both can co-exist, but also, Fred might be the real hero of that team.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#49 » by GSP » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 am

Sengun by far

Ppl letting a hot stretch when Jalens shooting 50% from 3 on 11 attempts fool them and hes done it against Wizards, banged up Cavs missing most starters and Jazz G league roster with all their main players injured
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#50 » by reamily » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:51 am

Houston plays fast and the more possesions they have the higher margin of error they can get to get their 3 ball game going.. they just cant do it with sengun around where in the end the easy inside shots that he get early in the game wouldnt be available..

Its just that this houston rockets is more than just a jalen green or alpheren sengun team..
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#51 » by Upperclass » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm

Rockets/Warriors should look into a swap of Draymond/Kuminga or Wiggins for Sengun/Cam or Tari.. Would benefit both imo
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Post#52 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:01 pm

Both are young and will be consistent all-stars in the future. Houston needs to do everything they can to make this duo work.

More successful franchises feed off these situations and will be prepared to give up a great deal if these two become available.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,345

Post#53 » by Sane » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:03 pm

For those who have a subscription, Green’s defensive leap and whether it’s real or not:

https://theathletic.com/5365460/2024/03/25/rockets-jalen-green-defensive-improvement/
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#54 » by ocelot17 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:43 pm

I think Cam Whitmore has made Jalen Green into a tradeable asset for the next disgruntled star, but certainly not for a role player like bridges.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#55 » by Ayt » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:35 pm

I don't see the issue with keeping them both.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#56 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:47 pm

People making generalized statements about what Green ‘is’ probably haven’t been watching, but moreover I don’t think they realize how young he was drafted. There are going to be several players drafted this year who are older than him.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#57 » by sfernald » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:21 pm

RapALot wrote:They are 21 and 22 years old and you vultures already want to drive the star-crossed hoopers apart. Plenty of time to figure it out together. What’s been astounding in Jalen’s run has been his work on the defensive end. Always active even without the ball in his hands now.

The problem is Green excels in a fast transition offense sort of like what Okc runs with all guards. And Sengun excels in the polar opposite, slow down and run half court sets centered around him as play maker.

My thinking is they trade Sengun for more parts to fit around Green before the league figures out he is the next Z-BO.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#58 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:29 pm

sfernald wrote:
RapALot wrote:They are 21 and 22 years old and you vultures already want to drive the star-crossed hoopers apart. Plenty of time to figure it out together. What’s been astounding in Jalen’s run has been his work on the defensive end. Always active even without the ball in his hands now.

The problem is Green excels in a fast transition offense sort of like what Okc runs with all guards. And Sengun excels in the polar opposite, slow down and run half court sets centered around him as play maker.

My thinking is they trade Sengun for more parts to fit around Green before the league figures out he is the next Z-BO.

Sengun’s best game of the year came after they upped the pace. Edit: if there is an issue moving forward with Şengün, it’s probably his relatively weak rim protection, though he is a good defender overall. Though, again, he is very young so he could develop, but imo rim protection is generally one of the more ‘you have it or don’t’ traits.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,225

Post#59 » by QingJames » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:00 pm

Sengun and it’s not close.

On another note, why would Brooklyn want another nodefense low IQ streaky chucker who is useless without the ball in his hands? They already have Cam Thomas who is basically the exact same player as Green, just smaller. They’re both terrible but people get fooled by big PPG numbers and little hot streaks like the one Green is on now. Absolute best case development scenario for a guy like Green is LaVine or a lengthier Beal. Guys who do not impact winning and are taking you nowhere as your #1.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 532

Post#60 » by TheShow2021 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

I think any team paying Sengun 35m is destined to severely limit their ceiling. Is 26p/40 at 58,5 TS at 5 while bogging down the offense really what you should build around? They were 24th in ORTG before his injury with him being the offensive centerpiece. And his level of defense doesn't justify such a poor offense.

He's a poor man's Sabonis. And no team is ever going to win a title with Sabonis or Sengun taking that much cap room.

Except for the few truly elite Bigs, I rather get an athletic rim running 5, that doesn't kill the flow, and doesn't take much cap space. For example, I love what Dallas has done with Gafford and Lively.

Return to The General Board