Prediction: James Harden will retire this summer if he dont recieve a max contract

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Re: Prediction: James Harden will retire this summer if he dont recieve a max contract 

Post#21 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:14 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Highly doubt it. He's not going to get a max but he's still an incredibly good player who can command a 3yr/90M type contract. He's an allstar caliber point guard who is still a gifted passer and shot creator.

Can't believe I'm contributing to a nba4lyfe thread, but I think it's possible no one offers more than like 1/30 or 2/40. He is still very useful but a) he's definitely seriously aging and b) he's pretty useless to non-contenders (and those who can't keep him in check). Teams with cap space are very unlikely to consider using it on him, and if the Clippers flop out they've gotta be blanching at anything more than a couple years for a 35 year-old.

If that happens you'd assume he'll just take the best offer, but Harden's been trying to save face for like 3 years now and this would be a slap to that.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Re: Prediction: James Harden will retire this summer if he dont recieve a max contract 

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:43 pm

JayMKE wrote:Harden isn't going to pass up a paycheck
Exactly.

Money is his drive and not a championship.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,269

Post#23 » by Frank Dux » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:47 pm

He’s going to play until the wheels fall off. You can make $15m-30m annually just being an OK starter.

He'll never see easy money like ever again
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,767

Post#24 » by Jadoogar » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:18 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:Highly doubt it. He's not going to get a max but he's still an incredibly good player who can command a 3yr/90M type contract. He's an allstar caliber point guard who is still a gifted passer and shot creator.

Can't believe I'm contributing to a nba4lyfe thread, but I think it's possible and will be interesting if no one offers more than like 1/30 or 2/40. He is still very useful but a) he's definitely seriously aging and b) he's pretty useless to non-contenders (and those who can't keep him in check). Teams with cap space are very unlikely to consider using it on him, and if the Clippers flop out they've gotta be blanching at anything more than a couple years for a 35 year-old.

If that happens you'd assume he'll just take the best offer, but Harden's been trying to save face for like 3 years now and this would be a slap to that.

idk about that. We have seen what FVV and Dillon Brooks have done for the Rockets' culture. Harden is a better player than both of those guys (albeit with some attitude issues). If a young team wants to make a jump to the next level, they could do worse than Harden setting the table.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#25 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 pm

Keep in mind that he's going to be 35 years old in August.

This season he will play 65 games or more for the second time in eight seasons. Over 50 games three times in the last eight seasons.

Paying him the max doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#26 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:08 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Can't believe I'm contributing to a nba4lyfe thread, but I think it's possible and will be interesting if no one offers more than like 1/30 or 2/40. He is still very useful but a) he's definitely seriously aging and b) he's pretty useless to non-contenders (and those who can't keep him in check). Teams with cap space are very unlikely to consider using it on him, and if the Clippers flop out they've gotta be blanching at anything more than a couple years for a 35 year-old.

idk about that. We have seen what FVV and Dillon Brooks have done for the Rockets' culture. Harden is a better player than both of those guys (albeit with some attitude issues). If a young team wants to make a jump to the next level, they could do worse than Harden setting the table.

Both those guys were relatively young and were known as defense-y seasoned pros, good fits for an Ime Udoka locker room. Harden is at best a pretty weird dude who doesn't want much if any leadership responsibility. It's not implausible that a meh team would sign him, but I don't think he fits into the category of 'vets to stabilize and toughen up a lockerroom.'

As a sidenote I don't think there are many teams interested in doing what the Rockets did. First because treadmill territory really is rough and it makes sense for most teams to avoid it; second cuz not that many teams have the Rockets combo of 6 pretty blue chip prospects already on hand (Sengun, Green, Jabari, Eason, Amen, Whitmore), more lotto-ish picks coming from other teams AND limited of control over their own picks. People talk about it like a great alternative to tanking but it's definitely not that, it's just something that makes sense for a team with a very specific situation where treadmill finishes don't matter. Most teams are still rightly going to calculate that signing multiple expensive vets to help you maybe be a 9th seed is a bad use of money.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,937

Post#27 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 pm

He's not retiring, let's say they offer him 30 a year for 3 years he's just going to walk away from 90 million? Nah.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,767

Post#28 » by Jadoogar » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:13 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

As a sidenote I don't think there are many teams interested in doing what the Rockets did. First because treadmill territory really is rough and it makes sense for most teams to avoid it.

I disagree with this part. It might not make basketball sense to be treadmill team but it certainly does from a business standpoint. There is only so long you can be a bottom of the table team before the fans check out. I haven't watched a single minute of the raptors since Scottie got hurt. Is this losing beneficial in the long run? probably. But i'm definitely not spending time watching this roster.

Teams like the pistons have several young players that could be helped with a veteran presence just like Jalen Green, Sengun and Jabari were. I could definitely see the Pistons try to improve their roster in the summer, it's hard to watch a 20 win team year in year out.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,809

Post#29 » by NZB2323 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:31 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

Can't believe I'm contributing to a nba4lyfe thread, but I think it's possible no one offers more than like 1/30 or 2/40. He is still very useful but a) he's definitely seriously aging and b) he's pretty useless to non-contenders (and those who can't keep him in check). Teams with cap space are very unlikely to consider using it on him, and if the Clippers flop out they've gotta be blanching at anything more than a couple years for a 35 year-old.

With the salary cap increasing and how GMs give out contracts, I believe Harden won’t get the max, but he’ll get more than 1/30 or 2/40.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#30 » by spanishninja » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 pm

I would have to think Harden will go at least one more season just so Ballmer will retire a toilet at Intuit in his honor
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,315

Post#31 » by shi-woo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:40 pm

I'll take this moment to remind everyone that Houston James Harden was a show, and to remind them that he is a man who has already given us 1060 games and 160 playoff games. 100+ more regular season games than Bird or Magic, and 20 more playoff games than Hakeem. A guy who is current 23rd in All-Time scoring, 15th in Assists, 85 in Def rebounding, 3rd in 3pnters made, 6th in Free Throws made, 12th in OWS, and 8th in triple dbls.

He's currently averaging 17/5/8.5 on 44/40/88 shooting playing point for a team many think can make the finals this year.

James Harden can honestly do whatever he wants to do at this point in his career. He's already a 100% HoF lock. Seeing him and Westbrook win one and give rings to the What Could Have Been Sonics starting 5 would be magical. But whatever path he choses is up to him, but I still think he has some fight in him even after this season

I also don't understand where the Harden doesn't love the game narrative comes from. It reminds me of how people were saying Ant didn't love the game either :lol: Saw him play the Celtics once his rookie year and knew those scouts were crazy. Harden loves the game of basketball, and you are crazy to think otherwise
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#32 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

With the salary cap increasing and how GMs give out contracts, I believe Harden won’t get the max, but he’ll get more than 1/30 or 2/40.

Probably, didn't see I was predicting that, just that the premise of the thread wasn't totally crazy. There are scenarios in which Harden gets only offers that are going to make him look pretty bad. Don't think he's going to quit or do anything else weird but I do think he'd be pretty upset if that happened.

Biggest thing is that the Clips will probably resign him for 3ish years. But if they keep going down their current road and flop out in the 1st round, I'm really not sure what his next contract would look like.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#33 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 pm

me doesnt think so
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,657

Post#34 » by Clav » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:11 pm

Harden's list of pro's

Salary cap going up
Success in big market
Teamed up with homies
Owner is bloody rich
New Stadium/Marketing incoming
Access to Adult Entertainment
Not in Philly

Harden's list of con's

Not a Champion (pending)
Is 35 years old, so next contract may be his last.

questioning love of the 'game' [per OP] I think not!
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
ryguy613
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,534

Post#35 » by ryguy613 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 pm

spanishninja wrote:I would have to think Harden will go at least one more season just so Ballmer will retire a toilet at Intuit in his honor

uh, i think you meant to say "TOILET!"
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,729

Post#36 » by AussieBuck » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:17 pm

Man still needs stripper money.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#37 » by HotelVitale » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:22 am

Jadoogar wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

As a sidenote I don't think there are many teams interested in doing what the Rockets did. First because treadmill territory really is rough and it makes sense for most teams to avoid it.

I disagree with this part. It might not make basketball sense to be treadmill team but it certainly does from a business standpoint. There is only so long you can be a bottom of the table team before the fans check out. I haven't watched a single minute of the raptors since Scottie got hurt. Is this losing beneficial in the long run? probably. But i'm definitely not spending time watching this roster.

Teams like the pistons have several young players that could be helped with a veteran presence just like Jalen Green, Sengun and Jabari were. I could definitely see the Pistons try to improve their roster in the summer, it's hard to watch a 20 win team year in year out.

Not gonna pretend to know the finance side of owning a team that well, but my guess is that's not a big consideration. Doesn't seem like being a 34 win team instead of a 22 win team for a few seasons massively effects a team's bottom line, especially if you're playing the odds on the 22 win team having a better/more exciting roster down the line.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,489

Post#38 » by Jazz9 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:48 am

I know there's some bad GMs out there but I don't think there's one incompetent enough to give 35yo Harden a max deal.
And no he won't retire either.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#39 » by andyhop » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:06 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Not gonna pretend to know the finance side of owning a team that well, but my guess is that's not a big consideration. Doesn't seem like being a 34 win team instead of a 22 win team for a few seasons massively effects a team's bottom line, especially if you're playing the odds on the 22 win team having a better/more exciting roster down the line.

The other thing is you need adults to help develop your talent and to access exactly what you have got. That helps you make better decisions when extension time comes around.

There's a reason the Ignite are completely dysfunctional and noone can easily figure out just how good or bad anyone on the roster is.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 429

Post#40 » by Ssj16 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:06 am

Jadoogar wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

If I'm looking to add a vet to a young team, James harden is the last player I'm calling. He has shown the opposite of leadership and I would not want him as the role model to the younger team members.

Return to The General Board