We Done With This 90’s Hating

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Re: We Done With This 90’s Hating 

Post#61 » by mysticOscar » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:42 am

firedavidkahn wrote:Here's MJ getting "ben simmons'd"

Read on Twitter

I swear peoples common sense are just really lacking.

Average 3pt attempts in this period of this clip was around 5 a game for the whole team!! 5!!

They gave a lot of people thr Ben Simmons treatment because at the time, they viewed 3pt shooting as gimmick.

There is no evidence that MJ was a bad 3pt shooter. In fact it's thr opposite. Geez
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,789

Post#62 » by jkvonny » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:47 am

Read on Twitter

TBF, during that era. That was probably one of the few 3 pnt shots taken during the game by/from both teams. Time winding down before the end of qrtr, half or game.

Throw away play.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,842

Post#63 » by OhayoKD » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:49 am

mysticOscar wrote:

Read on Twitter

Average 3pt attempts in this period of this clip was around 5 a game for the whole team!! 5!!

They gave a lot of people thr Ben Simmons treatment because at the time, they viewed 3pt shooting as gimmick.

There is no evidence that MJ was a bad 3pt shooter. In fact it's thr opposite. Geez

He was below average for his own era where volume, defensive attention, and effiency were much lower. It's not "the opposite".
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
mysticOscar
Starter

Post#64 » by mysticOscar » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:26 am

OhayoKD wrote:
mysticOscar wrote:

Read on Twitter

He was below average for his own era where volume, defensive attention, and effiency were much lower. It's not "the opposite".

Your talking rubbish. Majority of players in the 80s didn't take the 3pt shot seriously.

To use MJ seasons where he hardly shot the 3pt line as a basis to gauge where he was on the 3pt spectrum in a league where average 3pa was at 5 3pa per team is just not using common sense
Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 452

Post#65 » by Hair Jordan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:22 pm

mysticOscar wrote:People keep forgetting that NBA is not a straight line 100m sprint. There's been so many variable changes that swung the league to a certain play style.

90s were all about the post and offensive rebounding.

Today is all about perimeter penetration and 3pt shooting.

The rules and certain influences have shaped the league to what it is today.

When it comes to guard type skills and shooting, today's NBA is just better on average.

When it comes to offensive rebounding and post play, the skillset has visibly declined on average

It's all relative. People dunking on previous eras are just naive.

If we circle back to a 100 meter sprint....even this
simple sport, there's been many changes that has just made life easier for today's runners compared to previous eras I.e. foot wear, track they run on, nutrition, recovery method etc..

But ppl thinking that human evolve at certain rate...think about this...Bolts record has not been broken for 15 years

Yep, and Bob Beamon’s long jump record from 1968 has only been bested once (Mike Powell in 1991). Powell’s mark is a 33 year old record. If not for that one jump, Beamon’s mark would be a 55 year old record. So much for evolution….
Hair Jordan
Sophomore

Post#66 » by Hair Jordan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:25 pm

RRR3 wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:

Read on Twitter

You can find a clip of this for LeBron in the finals vs the Warriors.

It's silly to focused on an isolated clip.

The difference is LeBron fans don't claim he's some deadly shooter like MJ fans do.

Jordan was a deadly shooter from midrange. He shot 50% for his career as the number one option with the opposing teams best defender on him.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,751

Post#67 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:41 pm

Read on Twitter

This is classic internet nowadays.

Jordan went 24-29 that game. Scored 52 points. This was the end of the third quarter. But you get a short clip with no context to create a false narrative. HE WENT 24-29!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And they choose to show this one play.

Also, of course you let him shoot 3s. Hardly anyone was a 3 point shooter back then. Jordan was not a 3 point shooter. Nobody is saying he was.

Also I've seen that same defense in a Suns game last week.

If you'd like to watch a game instead of a 10 second clip, here you go:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198811160PHI.html

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Post#68 » by OdomFan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:41 pm

To be fair a lot of basketball fans in the 90s were just as disrespectful to the 60s players. There just wasn't social media.

Now the 90s is 30 years ago just like back then the 60s was 30 years ago. Heck people are still going on about the 60s only having 9 teams or whatever the amount was. It is what it is. It's just best to not get to emotional over it. I just appreciate that the league itself continues to give every era of the NBA its flowers. I dig the commercials like this for example.

As well as the game intros that mixed in different eras.

;pp=ygUObmJhIDJrMTggaW50cm8%3D
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 886

Post#69 » by firedavidkahn » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:

Read on Twitter

This is classic internet nowadays.

Jordan went 24-29 that game. Scored 52 points. This was the end of the third quarter. But you get a short clip with no context to create a false narrative. HE WENT 24-29!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And they choose to show this one play.

Also, of course you let him shoot 3s. Hardly anyone was a 3 point shooter back then. Jordan was not a 3 point shooter. Nobody is saying he was.

Also I've seen that same defense in a Suns game last week.

If you'd like to watch a game instead of a 10 second clip, here you go:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198811160PHI.html

I'll be 100 honest with you, I was a little drunk when I posted that :lol:

When it comes to comparing different eras, I am 100% a troll. My post wasn't serious :lol:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,312

Post#70 » by DOT » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:14 pm

Like I've said, this is just the funniest thing to me because the old heads just don't have a response besides melting down and screaming about how anyone who wasn't there can't know and they need to shut up about it :lol:

It's so funny to watch people talk about how whiny everyone else is and not realize that this entire trend is designed to piss them off. It's the most obvious trolling in the world, yet they keep falling for it again and again

And I just get a laugh out of reading about how millennials and gen z are so awful meanwhile boomers with more lead than grey matter in their brains are out here being just the most obnoxious people. Seriously, ask anyone in retail or the service industry who the worst customers are, by and large it's the boomers.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Hair Jordan
Sophomore

Post#71 » by Hair Jordan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:18 pm

OdomFan wrote:To be fair a lot of basketball fans in the 90s were just as disrespectful to the 60s players. There just wasn't social media.

Now the 90s is 30 years ago just like back then the 60s was 30 years ago. Heck people are still going on about the 60s only having 9 teams or whatever the amount was. It is what it is. It's just best to not get to emotional over it. I just appreciate that the league itself continues to give every era of the NBA its flowers. I dig the commercials like this for example.

As well as the game intros that mixed in different eras.

;pp=ygUObmJhIDJrMTggaW50cm8%3D

Every generation flames the previous generation. I never thought I’d live to see the day when Michael Jeffrey Jordan would get flamed but here we are. It’s only a matter of time before current players like Lebron, Curry, KD, Luka, Jokic etc get trashed for their lack of skills, playing in a garbage era, playing against plumbers and Uber drivers etc. Give it 30 years. It’ll happen to them like it’s happening to players from the 80’s and 90’s :crazy:
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,822

Post#72 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:42 pm

That one video incited an MJ fan riot. It was really one damn video that got all these man-panties bunched up. Friggin hilarious!
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,842

Post#73 » by OhayoKD » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:17 pm

mysticOscar wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
mysticOscar wrote:

Your talking rubbish. Majority of players in the 80s didn't take the 3pt shot seriously.

To use MJ seasons where he hardly shot the 3pt line as a basis to gauge where he was on the 3pt spectrum in a league where average 3pa was at 5 3pa per team is just not using common sense

Common sense is that effeciency drops down with volume. Also common sense is that effeciency drops with defensive attention.

But common sense goes out the window when it's time to glaze MJ i guess
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by jkvonny » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:41 pm

DOT wrote:Like I've said, this is just the funniest thing to me because the old heads just don't have a response besides melting down and screaming about how anyone who wasn't there can't know and they need to shut up about it :lol:

It's so funny to watch people talk about how whiny everyone else is and not realize that this entire trend is designed to piss them off. It's the most obvious trolling in the world, yet they keep falling for it again and again

And I just get a laugh out of reading about how millennials and gen z are so awful meanwhile boomers with more lead than grey matter in their brains are out here being just the most obnoxious people. Seriously, ask anyone in retail or the service industry who the worst customers are, by and large it's the boomers.

As a GenXer, we just sit back and observe. lol
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by jkvonny » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:44 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:That one video incited an MJ fan riot. It was really one damn video that got all these man-panties bunched up. Friggin hilarious!

True. It wasnt that serious.
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,142

Post#76 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:16 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
FuShengTHEGreat wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:It was clearly the golden age of the nba along with the early 2000s.

The early 00s (99-00 to 02-03) was THE worst era of basketball since the merger. The worst draft in nba history happened in 2000 as well.

The East was epically awful during this span. The top 2 players in the East during that span imho (Iverson and Kidd) were both inefficient shooters with no reliable 3pt range whatsoever. There wasn't a single PF or Center in the East

Anybody that came out the East during this span was fodder for the West. The real Finals were already decided in the West

The worst true fact about that era?? The 02 Nets made the Finals not having someone good enough to even average at least 15ppg in the regular season. My HS city championship team had someone good enough to score at least 15ppg.....lol.

When else has that ever happened? No one could ever make a Finals today being led by someone who can't score at least 15ppg. Or even make the playoffs.

Yep, the East was really really bad while the West was stacked.

In the West you had the powerhouse Lakers with Kobe and Kobe, the Kings with Vlade, Bibby, Peja etc., the Mavericks with Dirk, Nash and Finley, the Blazers with Sheed, Damon, Pippen etc., the Spurs with Duncan and Robinson, the Jazz with Stockton and Malone etc. Each of those rosters had multiple superstars/all-stars and deep rosters.

Meanwhile in the West you had the Sixers with AI, the Raptors with VC, the Nets with Kidd, the Celtics with Pierce etc. You didn't really have teams with multiple superstars/all-star caliber players together.

Look at the 2002 standings for instance:

No team in the East won over 50 games except for the Nets who won 52 and the Pistons who won 50.

Meanwhile in the West the Kings won 61, the Lakers won 58, the Spurs won 58, the Mavs won 57, the Wolves won 50, and the Blazers won 49.

5th in the West would have been 2nd in the East.

The interior players (PF & C) in the "L"east were very mediocre in comparison to the Western Conference from 99-03. Zo had health issues. Mutombo well into his mid 30s was probably the best interior player in the East during that span.

Guys like Dale Davis, Antonio Davis, Ratliff and Mason would've never seen a All Star game selection those years if they played in the West.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore

Post#77 » by Hair Jordan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:50 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
mysticOscar wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:He was below average for his own era where volume, defensive attention, and effiency were much lower. It's not "the opposite".

Common sense is that effeciency drops down with volume. Also common sense is that effeciency drops with defensive attention.

Efficiency drops with volume? :lol: Efficiency actually increases with volume. If you take 5 FT in the first half and miss two you’re at 60%. If you take 5 more FT in the second half and make them all your efficiency goes up to 80%. It’s like magic :lol:
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,178

Post#78 » by donnieme » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 am

OdomFan wrote:To be fair a lot of basketball fans in the 90s were just as disrespectful to the 60s players. There just wasn't social media.

3D

Actually as recent as mid 2000s. Back when Wilt's stock was still high and GOAT conversations had Wilt vs MJ, stans said the exact same thing about Wilt playing plumbers to be able to score 100 in a game and average 50. Everyone is just taking turns.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,178

Post#79 » by donnieme » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 am

A lot of era ignorance is sparked by the likes of Barkley, Reggie Miller, kenny smith on tv every night thinking old games still only exist on VHS tapes or some dusty film archive.

No, these guys weren't some gladiators getting their fingers torn open on every layup. The softening of the league actually strarted well within their era. Watch the full MJ 63 point game against the Celtics, you wouldn't see a worse instance of star officiating or even just a softer reffed playoff game. Then No, the Bad boy pistons weren't the norm for the average team.There's a reason they all cried to freeze Isiah from the olympics to spite him. Fans from back then would actually be bemused to find out they would one day be romanticised. No one else played that way because no one else had Isiah and Laimbeer. Also don't know how modern fans can claim to love Laimbeer then turn around and scream for Draymond Green to be kicked out of the league. Maked me wonder if teens in 2065 are going to be romanticising Draymond's green antics as an era for real men.

Superstar calls, relaxation of travelling rules and taunts was started by Stern himseld after MJ made him realise marketing star wings was more appealing to casuals than slow lumbering bigs attempting baby hooks all game. Then there are the techs, today is way stricter but people make it seem like players were allowed to spit on each other every other for jokes. Mutombo for example got a lot of techs and fines for his signature finger wag but when I go to the commetn section of these highlights there are people talking about how he would have gotten a tech in today's game. Like Bruh, he did get a teched and fined. Even MJ got teched on the legendary revenge finger wag at Mutombo.

It was Stern not Silver that started making the game more finesse and it came as early as the late 80s and 90s.
mysticOscar
Starter

Post#80 » by mysticOscar » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

OhayoKD wrote:
mysticOscar wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:He was below average for his own era where volume, defensive attention, and effiency were much lower. It's not "the opposite".

You have to be trolling right? MJs 3pt effeciency goes up in seasons he takes more volume.

Please stop responding if you are just going to troll

You can't base people's effeciency on less than 1 3pt a game seasons. The sample size is too small and is made up of just a high % of bail out shots

Return to The General Board