We Done With This 90’s Hating

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Re: We Done With This 90’s Hating 

Post#41 » by One_and_Done » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:34 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:It was clearly the golden age of the nba along with the early 2000s.

Unfortunately most will be deaf to the irony.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#42 » by D.Brasco » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:57 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:It was clearly the golden age of the nba along with the early 2000s.

Irony or nostalgia? A lot of old millennials' (I'm one of them) are looking back at the 2000s with rose colored glasses when it was a lot low scoring games and an overdose of iso hero ball.

I think the league had the right balance of things around the 2010s, decent volume scoring, decently paced games without the super abundance of 3s. Superior to the 90s too in my view.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#43 » by One_and_Done » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 am

Whether it was more enjoyable to watch is not something I factor in when assessing what league was better.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,749

Post#44 » by VanWest82 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:08 am

D.Brasco wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

Irony or nostalgia? A lot of old millennials' (I'm one of them) are looking back at the 2000s with rose colored glasses when it was a lot low scoring games and an overdose of iso hero ball.

I think the league had the right balance of things around the 2010s, decent volume scoring, decently paced games without the super abundance of 3s. Superior to the 90s too in my view.

I also liked the late 00s best. Influx of talent, different styles, etc. UFC went through a similar growth during that time.

Both leagues are much smarter now, but competitors are all seemingly operating from the same playbook.

Also, early 90s was a great era and should be separated out from mid-late 90s and early 00s. Bulls, Knicks, Blazers, Suns, Jazz, Cavs, Rockets, Sonics,..Pistons, Celtics, Lakers still hanging on. It was probably the best era after late 00s imo.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,438

Post#45 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:17 am

firedavidkahn wrote:Here's MJ getting "ben simmons'd"

Read on Twitter

You can find a clip of this for LeBron in the finals vs the Warriors.

It's silly to focused on an isolated clip.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM

Post#46 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:18 am

Personally as a fan, I enjoy every era.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,611

Post#47 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 am

TheGOATRises007 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Or Spurs in 2013.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,208

Post#48 » by og15 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:36 am

TheGeneral99 wrote:It had more to do with the 1980s and 1990s players/analysts lashing out at the current generation and acting like players from this era wouldn't even be that good if they played back then, which is just utterly ridiculous. These guys are acting like the league back in the 1980s and 1990s was like full-contact NFL, and some of the current stars would be shut down, which is honestly far from the truth.

Now you are getting push back the other way because while the 1980s and 1990s produced some great basketball and legends, you cannot reasonably argue that the level of basketball was better.

I think players/analysts need to give respect to the older generations for what they did to evolve the game, and older players/analysts need to acknowledge that the current generation of players are just better overall.

Many of them do, but just like in everything, what sells and what is headline worthy is not level headed takes. So the perception people get is that all...most of the older people are hating or most of the younger people are hating, but it might simply be that no one cares about the takes the say, "yea, lots of great talent in the past, lots of guys that transcend eras, and we've really expanded now in terms of basketball and the average talent level has also increased, but we've always had greats".

Boo that man off stage, not interesting.

In addition, someone who has a level headed takes isn't particularly interested in making a YouTube video or Tik Tok post or short clip of whatever, because those types of clips and videos are generally agenda driven or reactionary. So they are biased towards the polar ends of takes.

Also realize that OP seems to have an agenda and is sensationalizing things too.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 457

Post#49 » by Hair Jordan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:49 am

zero rings wrote:
Hair Jordan wrote:What’s up with this generation of youngsters absolutely hating on any and every generation that came before them? First it was calling 50’s and 60’s era players plumbers and fireman. Then they started trashing the 80’s. Now they’re “done with the ‘90’s” and trying to claim that Jordan has no left hand and would be DeMar DeRozan in the modern era. Don’t they realize that every modern player is another generations plumber? Don’t they realize that 30 years from now kids will watch lowlights of Lebron, Curry, Durant, Kyrie, Luka, Jokic etc and call them Uber drivers and baristas? They’ll get their comeuppance in 40 years when someone says Lebron or Curry wouldn’t make the G League. I hope I’m alive to see it :lol:

Nobody would even care to hate on the 90’s if you boomers weren’t so obnoxious.

Boomer? I’m a Gen Xer :lol:
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,390

Post#50 » by zero rings » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 am

Hair Jordan wrote:
zero rings wrote:
Hair Jordan wrote:What’s up with this generation of youngsters absolutely hating on any and every generation that came before them? First it was calling 50’s and 60’s era players plumbers and fireman. Then they started trashing the 80’s. Now they’re “done with the ‘90’s” and trying to claim that Jordan has no left hand and would be DeMar DeRozan in the modern era. Don’t they realize that every modern player is another generations plumber? Don’t they realize that 30 years from now kids will watch lowlights of Lebron, Curry, Durant, Kyrie, Luka, Jokic etc and call them Uber drivers and baristas? They’ll get their comeuppance in 40 years when someone says Lebron or Curry wouldn’t make the G League. I hope I’m alive to see it :lol:

Boomer is a mindset.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,916

Post#51 » by KyRo23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:07 am

This is what happens when an obnoxious group/generations boasts about the 90s like no other decade was even half way decent. The information age finally decided to go on youtube and watch the games :lol:

So you have a group who grossly overrates an era combatting a group who is grossly underrating an era. Ya kind of asked for it...
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#52 » by jc23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:08 am

haters in 2044 will have advanced AI on their side; im talking super saiyan level hatin. Just wont be able to compete.
Be curious, Not judgmental
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#53 » by mysticOscar » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:31 am

People keep forgetting that NBA is not a straight line 100m sprint. There's been so many variable changes that swung the league to a certain play style.

90s were all about the post and offensive rebounding.

Today is all about perimeter penetration and 3pt shooting.

The rules and certain influences have shaped the league to what it is today.

When it comes to guard type skills and shooting, today's NBA is just better on average.

When it comes to offensive rebounding and post play, the skillset has visibly declined on average

It's all relative. People dunking on previous eras are just naive.

If we circle back to a 100 meter sprint....even this
simple sport, there's been many changes that has just made life easier for today's runners compared to previous eras I.e. foot wear, track they run on, nutrition, recovery method etc..

But ppl thinking that human evolve at certain rate...think about this...Bolts record has not been broken for 15 years
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,851

Post#54 » by OhayoKD » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:37 am

Bringing up the 50's and 60's and 70's like it wasn't 90's mythmakers who erased that era of players is funny. It wasn't the zoomers that named an MVP after someone who had no basketball based claim to the award. Nor was it zoomers who spun the narrative that Bill Russell was carried by hall-of-famers to his 11 titles. Nor was it zoomers who enshrined made up math formulas as objective data to reinforce their biases.

It was your generation that ruined basketball discourse, stand proud.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,722

Post#55 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 am

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Or Spurs in 2013.

Or Spurs in 2007.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#56 » by homecourtloss » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:05 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:I'm an old. Look at what year I joined this site and recognized I could drink legally before that date. One thing I've noticed about basketball is that generational conflicts are much deeper. The same thing said in 2024 about 2004 players was said in 2004 about 1984 players.

Why do you think generational conflicts are much deeper in the NBA than other sports? I honestly never even hear American football fans discussing players before 2000 that much.

Primarily the hagiographic mythologizing of a certain player in the ‘90s who could never have an equal. On this board, anyone who even comes close to mentioning anything other than “he was the GOAT,” will see various posters pop up within a few minutes defending the honor of the player. As a part of this, any and all subsequent generations/players have to be trashed I order for the that certain player to keep his mythological perch.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#57 » by homecourtloss » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:07 am

OhayoKD wrote:

Bringing up the 50's and 60's and 70's like it wasn't 90's mythmakers who erased that era of players is funny. It wasn't the zoomers that named an MVP after someone who had no basketball based claim to the award. Nor was it zoomers who spun the narrative that Bill Russell was carried by hall-of-famers to his 11 titles. Nor was it zoomers who enshrined made up math formulas as objective data to reinforce their biases.

It was your generation that ruined basketball discourse, stand proud.

One of the strangest and funniest things is that a core group of the hagiographers are like 28-35 years old who never watched a certain player from the ‘90s but will be the first line of defense for their idol. :lol: Bizarre.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
RRR3
Veteran
And1: 3,462

Post#58 » by RRR3 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:23 am

TheGOATRises007 wrote:

Read on Twitter

The difference is LeBron fans don't claim he's some deadly shooter like MJ fans do.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,805

Post#59 » by jkvonny » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:40 am

Hair Jordan wrote:
zero rings wrote:

An older GenXer. Generation Jones (born in the late '60s) Boomer/GenXer cusper? Makes sense in some ways lol

I'm a younger GenXer BTW, born during the late '70s.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM

Post#60 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 am

RRR3 wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:

Read on Twitter

The difference is LeBron fans don't claim he's some deadly shooter like MJ fans do.

I mean from the mid-range he is.

I don't really care what the 'stans' say on either side.

Return to The General Board