Jarace Walker Ceiling

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Jarace Walker Ceiling 

Post#1 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:21 pm

I know there is a massive rookie thread that is like 104 pages, but 102 of those pages are just in a constant Wemby/Chet discussion ignoring everything else, so figured I'd ask here.

What do you think Jarace Walker's ceiling is?

Walker is 20 years old, 6'7 with a 7'2 wingspan and was just the 8th pick in the draft. He is a bit raw, but has flashed the ability to do nearly everything. He's shown the ability to score, pass, rebound, defend, get blocks/steals, pretty much everything. Obviously none of that will mean anything until he can do it at a consistent rate, but I am curious as to everyone's thoughts?

Some of his highlights(mix between limited NBA minutes and GLeague):

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I fully understand G-League success means nothing, but he's flashing all the right things in those games. Whenever he's gotten anything other than pure garbage time minutes in the NBA, he's usually made his presence known on the court. Sorry for posting so many videos, I know a lot of people haven't seen much of him.

Anyway, what kind of future do ya'll think he could have in the NBA? I'd like some unbiased opinions rather than just posting it in a Pacers forum haha.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Re: Jarace Walker Ceiling 

Post#2 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:40 pm

21st century Sam Perkins - which is a hell of a player (And making 3's far before his age 32 season like Perkins).
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#3 » by Pipp33 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

I LOVE this kid!!

Not sure on what his ceiling is, but he can be a key glue guy that does everything a team needs.

Draymond/Scottie Barnes type player, in that they offer so much multi skilled versatility.

If his outside shot proves to be consistent, I can certainly see him being a very high quality starter and possible All Star
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#4 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:51 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:21st century Sam Perkins - which is a hell of a player (And making 3's far before his age 32 season like Perkins).

I'm not entirely sure what answers I was expecting, but this definitely wasn't one of them haha. As someone who grew up watching Sam Perkins, I'm curious as to what similarities you see? I view Perkins as more of a Center/PF, whereas Walker as a PF/SF.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,991

Post#5 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 am

If he figures out defending the 3 spot at a high level, then his ceiling is quite high. He can do everything else to some degree. The best thing about him is his attitude. He is extremely coachable.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#6 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:27 am

Chuck Everett wrote:If he figures out defending the 3 spot at a high level, then his ceiling is quite high. He can do everything else to some degree. The best thing about him is his attitude. He is extremely coachable.

Based on what we’ve seen, I think it’s likely he’ll be able to defend 1-5 at some level. Mostly defending 3/4s, but more than capable of switching into everything.

He did solid against Kawhi/PG last night, which isn’t bad for a 20 year old rookie who rarely gets opportunities.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#7 » by davidfr94 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:57 am

The best thing about him is that he was supposed to be a bad shooter and he is already an ok shooter and a pretty confident one. If you give him room he will just shoot on your face.

I think it is blessing that we found a way to grab siakam because he can pretty much mold his game after his.

In terms of IQ, he is really far ahead from what i hoped when we drafted him.
He already knows how to use his size very well.

We have now 3 young players with good/great potential in Shepard, nembhard and walker.

It compensates mathurin's disappointing development.

Sent from my 22011119UY using RealGM mobile app
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#8 » by pipfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:15 pm

Seems like a great pick, and can come along slowly. Indy could be a contender next year, with health
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#9 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 pm

His big issue is that he's really really soft and it's not clear what he can be if he shies away from contact so much.

He has tons of theoretical strength that he uses none of.
Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,345

Post#10 » by Sane » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:28 pm

I think he's close to being a playoff calibre starter with one improvement: He needs to develop a fast baby hook only for punishing smaller defenders (this will improve his problematic 2PT%). At the moment his 2PT% is not strong enough and he is too reliant on an imperfect 3pt shot - that's making his FG% very volatile. Doesn't need a whole post game in this day and age, just something to use when the perimeter game is not best for the mismatch.

He's very underrated imo. He will take some time to add polish to his game but his future is very bright and I would bet money he will have a very strong regular season in 24-25.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#11 » by zimpy27 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:29 pm

I see some Al Horford
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,316

Post#12 » by shi-woo » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:49 pm

I really like this kid. He's shown his ability to pass the ball many times this year, and that's something that always stands out to me for young players. It shows they understand the game and a good working IQ. Walker has shown me that already this year.

I'm glad he's on the Pacers, because I thought he could have fallen victim to what happened to Aaron Gordon in Orlando. A player who I would comp him too currently in the NBA. Aaron was drafted 5 and people wanted him to be this 20ppg scorer superstar, and people lost sight of his potential value as a glue guy. Walker has all those skills and will get to develop them in a winning environment instead of trying to go score 20 every night. He's going to have a much bigger role next year, and wouldn't be surprised if he came out and won the starting 3 spot job.

I think the Pacers have the ability to make moves next year. I don't see Toppin coming back, and Jarace will get those minutes and that role.

Turner- Smith
Pascal-
Walker
Nesmith- Nenedict- Nembhardt
Hali- TJ

That's a pretty solid core to already have under contract (assuming they bring back Pascal and Smith)). Pacers should still be able to add a solid player via FA if the numbers for Pascal and Smith are right. Walker being able to play multiple roles will shine in that space similar to how Amen has looked since the ASB.

I see him molding into an Aaron Gordon, Jerami Grant, Jeff Green type of player. If he ever becomes more than that it will be because he works on his handle and defensive game
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#13 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,206

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:29 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I see some Al Horford

That's who immediately springs to my mind. And Perkins was kind of a proto-Horford.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,002

Post#15 » by Village Idiot » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:48 pm

I really wanted Portland to trade down from 3 to draft him and Lively but alas, we have Scoot.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
HiDef
Junior
And1: 292

Post#16 » by HiDef » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:59 pm

IMO where he's at is close to his ceiling. The shooting came along much quicker than expected but it's hard to be a valuable NBA big when you can't take contact or set a proper screen
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,393

Post#17 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:58 pm

He was my favourite player in last year's draft so it's been frustrating to have Indiana bring him on so so slowly (especially with the glaring need for what he might bring to the table). Then the big Siakam trade happened and it felt like damn is he going to get a chance in Indiana?

I thought last game was encouraging because Carlisle showed a willingness to play Jarace Walker next to other bigs. The Pacers crushed the Clippers in Walkers minutes, and they played him with Toppin/Siakam, Turner/Siakam, Smith/Siakam, and briefly Toppin/Turner. He's sort of the small forward in those lineups, and he has the green-light to do things on close outs. It's important for him that the Pacers see him as being able to play with other bigs, because Siakam and Turner are there to stay.

He was awesome against the Clips. He set Siakam up for multiple dunks, punked James Harden on a close out (faked baseline, eurostepped middle while bringing the ball over Harden's head), poked the ball away from Paul George, and was generally a highly active menace all night.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,393

Post#18 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:01 pm

HiDef wrote:IMO where he's at is close to his ceiling. The shooting came along much quicker than expected but it's hard to be a valuable NBA big when you can't take contact or set a proper screen

I've never heard someone describe a 20-year-old who has barely cracked 300 minutes be scouted as "close to his ceiling". I'm curious about the screening and contact though, could you explain what you're seeing?
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
HiDef
Junior
And1: 292

Post#19 » by HiDef » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:33 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
HiDef wrote:IMO where he's at is close to his ceiling. The shooting came along much quicker than expected but it's hard to be a valuable NBA big when you can't take contact or set a proper screen

I've never heard someone describe a 20-year-old who has barely cracked 300 minutes be scouted as "close to his ceiling". I'm curious about the screening and contact though, could you explain what you're seeing?

Same stuff he was doing in college. Can't really post, doesn't have moves or take contact. with the ball in his hands it always ends with jumpers and floaters. never sets hard screens, in college he'd fall over when he did. Saying he's close to his ceiling is to say I think he peaks as a rotation player, he's closer to what he's doing now than he is to becoming an everyday starter
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#20 » by Pipp33 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:13 pm

shi-woo wrote:I really like this kid. He's shown his ability to pass the ball many times this year, and that's something that always stands out to me for young players. It shows they understand the game and a good working IQ. Walker has shown me that already this year.

I'm glad he's on the Pacers, because I thought he could have fallen victim to what happened to Aaron Gordon in Orlando. A player who I would comp him too currently in the NBA. Aaron was drafted 5 and people wanted him to be this 20ppg scorer superstar, and people lost sight of his potential value as a glue guy. Walker has all those skills and will get to develop them in a winning environment instead of trying to go score 20 every night. He's going to have a much bigger role next year, and wouldn't be surprised if he came out and won the starting 3 spot job.

I think the Pacers have the ability to make moves next year. I don't see Toppin coming back, and Jarace will get those minutes and that role.

Turner- Smith
Pascal-
Walker
Nesmith- Nenedict- Nembhardt
Hali- TJ

That's a pretty solid core to already have under contract (assuming they bring back Pascal and Smith)). Pacers should still be able to add a solid player via FA if the numbers for Pascal and Smith are right. Walker being able to play multiple roles will shine in that space similar to how Amen has looked since the ASB.

I see him molding into an Aaron Gordon, Jerami Grant, Jeff Green type of player. If he ever becomes more than that it will be because he works on his handle and defensive game

The Pacers are well positioned with their core.

I'll add Ben Sheppard to your list. Think he can become a valuable contributor too. Has shown some real maturity in some key defensive possessions against top class players (only small sample). Good size and motor. He can shoot, but like most rookies, the consistency isn't there yet, understandably with varied minutes/role.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team

Return to The General Board