Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Re: Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges 

Post#41 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

Wingy wrote:People get way too excited and make unjustified conclusions when a guy’s on a hot shooting streak. i.e. - Jalen Green

Shot 38 of 77 from 3 his last 7 games. Do people think that’s sustainable?

Even with that big streak on volume, he’s at exactly his career 34% 3p on the season.

Look at how much Jaden McD got paid. The Bridges archetype of player is the most coveted in the league outside of true superstars, or young bonafide all stars.

Should the Nets trade Bridges? Unless they have some star wanting to come to Brooklyn (Ben Simmons expiring for someone who specifically wants them?), yes they should. But the price should be very, very high.

Green and a couple of meh firsts wouldn’t have gotten it done for me either. Wait til the offseason when some teams have disappointed and flamed out again, and teams are making major moves.

Funny…Bridges went on a pretty short hot streak last season and now he’s getting squidward memed. Maybe Nets shouldn’t have got way too excited about him and made unjustified conclusions. Very clear now that his production as a featured player was unsustainable
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Re: Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges 

Post#42 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

The Rockets GM is a lucky dude. He was bailout here and IIRC he offered Oladipo an extension and he declined it.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#43 » by Wingy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:Funny…Bridges went on a pretty short hot streak last season and now he’s getting squidward memed

Team context matters. Bridges shouldn’t be a #1. We know he succeeds farther down the ladder. Green gets to play with the post-up poet Sengun, FVV, and a bunch of other talented young players. Bridges has…Cam Thomas. :dontknow:
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#44 » by hardenASG13 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

Wingy wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Funny…Bridges went on a pretty short hot streak last season and now he’s getting squidward memed

Team context matters. Bridges shouldn’t be a #1. We know he succeeds farther down the ladder. Green gets to play with the post-up poet Sengun, FVV, and a bunch of other talented young players. Bridges has…Cam Thomas. :dontknow:

Bridges is putting up pedestrian numbers night after night as a number 1 guy. People were disillusioned because the nets made the playoffs last year, on the back of the record they had with KD/Kyrie. This trade would've been awful.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#45 » by Wingy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
Wingy wrote:

Bridges is putting up pedestrian numbers night after night as a number 1 guy. People were disillusioned because the nets made the playoffs last year, on the back of the record they had with KD/Kyrie. This trade would've been awful.

Yeah, again, context matters. Defenses start game planning for you, and that gets real hard when you shouldn’t be a #1 on a team that’s actually good.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,813

Post#46 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Well, they apparently turned down getting almost all their picks back. Which was dumb. But I do not believe an offer of most of the picks back/multiple firsts and Green was made. There's no way you say no to that. You probably don't ever offer it. I think this is BS.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#47 » by celtxman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Crazy if it's true
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#48 » by louc1970 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

How much of Green's "improvement" is the team basically putting him in situations to succeed and raise his trade value?
What is good for him is good for the team, but why now.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#49 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

louc1970 wrote:How much of Green's "improvement" is the team basically putting him in situations to succeed and raise his trade value?

Because if you watched him pre-ASG vs post-ASG, you can tell he's figured out what he needed to add to his game. It just so happened to be defense and rebounding. And luckily, he's bought into that, which is a spectular sign for Rockets fans. He's buying in as a 3rd year player and is showing maturity. Everything else on offense was just a matter of when it's going to fall into place.

People seem to forget this guy is only in his 3rd year. Many young players go through growing pain... not everyone is going to walk into the league at a young age and be like Doncic and Wemby.
Farhan0311
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#50 » by Farhan0311 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

louc1970 wrote:How much of Green's "improvement" is the team basically putting him in situations to succeed and raise his trade value?

"Improvement".

Nah see at age 22 players cease all development.

Do you actually see the defense he plays now? Dude has been playing like a all-nba defensive guard during this streak.

Dude leads the entire NBA for 15 games now in on/off impact.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,194

Post#51 » by dygaction » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

I am pretty sure most non-tanking teams would like to put players in situations to succeed and raise their trade values, or just values. But as you asked, why now, after the trade deadline? He is playing for his max contract and maybe elevate to supermax if he makes another leap next year.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Post#52 » by dc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Well, they apparently turned down getting almost all their picks back. Which was dumb. But I do not believe an offer of most of the picks back/multiple firsts and Green was made. There's no way you say no to that. You probably don't ever offer it. I think this is BS.

Yeah it's one of those things we'll probably never know the specifics of when they refer to "multiple 1st round picks".

The Hornets supposedly preferred using the #9 overall pick to draft Frank Kaminsky instead of trading it to the Celts for 4 1st round picks, but we have no idea what the years and protection on those picks was. Maybe a couple of them were protected 1sts with a high probability of conveying into a 2nd, that kind of stuff.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,043

Post#53 » by danvato » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

Kiss of Death wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:It's very hard to trust Sham with these kind of things nowadays, outside of breaking a confirmed trade, everything he puts out is very clearly to push a narrative from someone he's chummy with.

We have from other rumors pretty good evidence that the Rockets were not willing to return attractive picks to the Nets...

Exactly.
Multiple firsts could be:
Nets 2024 pick and 2025 swap, lottery protected. Which likely means ZERO firsts.
Or Rockets own 2028 and 2030. Which will likely be 20-30.

If it is even true at all. The Nets have been leaking some outrageous offers for Bridges trying to increase his value, but no one is buying it.

Shams like most reporters is click bait now. And i agree, there is a wild spectrum of what 'multiple picks' could mean in this case which would substantially change the narrative on whether this is an awful trade or not.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,813

Post#54 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

dc wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Well, they apparently turned down getting almost all their picks back. Which was dumb. But I do not believe an offer of most of the picks back/multiple firsts and Green was made. There's no way you say no to that. You probably don't ever offer it. I think this is BS.

Yeah it's one of those things we'll probably never know the specifics of when they refer to "multiple 1st round picks".

The Hornets supposedly preferred using the #9 overall pick to draft Frank Kaminsky instead of trading it to the Celts for 4 1st round picks, but we have no idea what the years and protection on those picks was. Maybe a couple of them were protected 1sts with a high probability of conveying into a 2nd, that kind of stuff.

They were the BRK picks that BRK sent to HOU that were offered back. See why I think its pretty impossible or immensley bad now?
Wingy
RealGM

Post#55 » by Wingy » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:04 am

Wingy wrote:People get way too excited and make unjustified conclusions when a guy’s on a hot shooting streak. i.e. - Jalen Green

Even with that big streak on volume, he’s at exactly his career 34% 3p on the season.

Where all the Jalen Green hypers now? As I alluded to, he’s returning to the mean.

This isn’t to knock the kid, but more to mock the slew of threads that popped up during his hot streak.

Last 4 games from 3:
0-5
2-11
3-8
2-9
—-
7/33 = 21%

shot 33% overall in 3 of them, 45 in the other.

There was no need for people to get worked up over this report. He has a long, long way to go, and who knows if he’ll get there.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#56 » by DarkXaero » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:20 am

Wingy wrote:

Where all the Jalen Green hypers now? As I alluded to, he’s returning to the mean.

This isn’t to knock the kid, but more to mock the slew of threads that popped up during his hot streak.

Last 4 games from 3:
0-5
2-11
3-8
2-9
—-
7/33 = 21%

shot 33% overall in 3 of them, 45 in the other.

There was no need for people to get worked up over this report. He has a long, long way to go, and who knows if he’ll get there.
Yeah just like that, he has been awful last 4 games. Still a talented young player but its funny to me how fans always live in the moment and acting like Jalen Green suddenly became a breakout star off a hot streak.

Return to The General Board