Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Re: Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges 

Post#21 » by jefe » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Last year, Brooklyn turned down the Grizzlies' offer of 4 first round picks and, I would assume, Dillon Brooks (to make salaries work) for Bridges. Bridges is a nice player, but the Nets are 27-45 and going nowhere with him as a primary option.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,323

Re: Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges 

Post#22 » by rapstarter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:15 pm

Kinda reminds me of the Pascal Siakam situation in Toronto. Very good player but overvalued by the rebuilding team that actually had little use for him. Bridges is going to be 28 in a few months. Wonder if Nets will keep him as long as Toronto did and regret not trading him earlier.
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#23 » by reamily » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:02 pm

With cam thomas with the team.. they expect a kpj jalen green situation again so its really selling bridges for frps and a basketcase..
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#24 » by louc1970 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:21 pm

I think the Nets are crazy not to trade Bridges. Make the deal Green/Eason and a return of the Brooklyn picks for Bridges and call it a day.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#25 » by louc1970 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:38 pm

reamily wrote:With cam thomas with the team.. they expect a kpj jalen green situation again so its really selling bridges for frps and a basketcase..

Except if the Nets trade Bridges for their picks returned with Eason/Green, Brooklyn can then package Thomas/Johnson (or trade them separately) and get back a PG and SF.

PG/Green/SF/Eason/Claxton

SF this year could be Buzelis. PG could be Dillingham/Castle. That is a team that will start taking shape.
Johnson for Isaac/Black (Orlando) - Nets get 2 defensive players on short or inexpensive contracts, move off of long term Johnson money. Orlando gets a shooter to spread the floor for the Banchero/Carter/Wagner.

Remake the Nets into a younger that can grow over the next 2 years.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#26 » by God Squad » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:49 pm

I can't believe this is true, especially with how garbage Mikal has been.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,844

Post#27 » by Karate Diop » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:It's very hard to trust Sham with these kind of things nowadays, outside of breaking a confirmed trade, everything he puts out is very clearly to push a narrative from someone he's chummy with.

We have from other rumors pretty good evidence that the Rockets were not willing to return attractive picks to the Nets...

If you believe one good stretch from Green alleviates the concerns with him, good for you, but he'll probably be back on the trading block come the off-season.

Unless there's confirmation that the Rockets did offer all of the Nets' picks back, the Nets made the right move.

Having to overpay Green as "the guy" on a rebuilding team without your own picks or other young blue chip prospects is a recipe for disaster.

Obviously, I'm a Knicks fan and will be partial here but Brooklyn itself is not a destination as their front office and coaching staff are in flux. No star will want to go to a franchise that is unstable, trust me, the Knicks were that before Leon Rose arrived. The best move would be to get what they can for Mikal and draft super well.

I'm leaning towards that direction as well, but with the Rockets not offering the Nets all of their picks there was no reason to rush into a deal.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,250

Post#28 » by Godymas » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:37 pm

Brooklyn's entire franchise is a disgrace to everything about the NBA
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,598

Post#29 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:38 pm

Jalen Green: 19.6/5.0/3.4 on 54 TS%.
D'Angelo Russell: 18.1/3.2/6.4 on 59 TS%.

Jalen Green is IMO going to end up between Jordan Clarkson and D'Angelo Russell, that is not worth Mikal Bridges.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#30 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:54 pm

wait, people are making fun of the Nets for turning down Green and likely a bunch of conditional 1sts for Bridges? Bridges isn't a #1 but he's a very solid low-end #2 with a great contract that plays both ends. With Claxton and Bridges you've got something to work with. High usage chuckers that play no defense can easily be found throughout drafts, undrafted, or are currently sitting on G-League and NBA benches just waiting for opportunity for touches. You can't easily find 6'8" two-way players like Bridges. There's maybe a dozen in the entire league.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,961

Post#31 » by Shock Defeat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:Jalen Green: 19.6/5.0/3.4 on 54 TS%.
D'Angelo Russell: 18.1/3.2/6.4 on 59 TS%.

Jalen Green is IMO going to end up between Jordan Clarkson and D'Angelo Russell, that is not worth Mikal Bridges.

these are stats on the season, not necessarily where his potential is. He has shown flashes of superstardom
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#32 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 am

Zenzibar wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:It's very hard to trust Sham with these kind of things nowadays, outside of breaking a confirmed trade, everything he puts out is very clearly to push a narrative from someone he's chummy with.

We have from other rumors pretty good evidence that the Rockets were not willing to return attractive picks to the Nets...

If you believe one good stretch from Green alleviates the concerns with him, good for you, but he'll probably be back on the trading block come the off-season.

Unless there's confirmation that the Rockets did offer all of the Nets' picks back, the Nets made the right move.

Having to overpay Green as "the guy" on a rebuilding team without your own picks or other young blue chip prospects is a recipe for disaster.

Obviously, I'm a Knicks fan and will be partial here but Brooklyn itself is not a destination as their front office and coaching staff are in flux. No star will want to go to a franchise that is unstable, trust me, the Knicks were that before Leon Rose arrived. The best move would be to get what they can for Mikal and draft super well.

I don’t like a lot of decisions made by the Nets and Tsai has an enormous ego, but Brooklyn is 184% a major free agent destination.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#33 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 am

Karate Diop wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

I'm leaning towards that direction as well, but with the Rockets not offering the Nets all of their picks there was no reason to rush into a deal.

From a supposed “insider”, the offer did not include either of the swaps returned(‘25,’27 for non-Nets fans), and may even have had top 1 protection for the ‘24, so Houston would have kept it if it wound up jumping to first overall.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,569

Post#34 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

Green is putting up some numbers man...37 pts tonight. I can't believe people wrote off a 22 year old kid
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#35 » by reamily » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 am

azcatz11 wrote:Green is putting up some numbers man...37 pts tonight. I can't believe people wrote off a 22 year old kid

To be fair its not writing off.. its just that for him to grow you need go get rid of cam and I dont think the frp houston os offering is enticing enough for them
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,194

Post#36 » by dygaction » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:wait, people are making fun of the Nets for turning down Green and likely a bunch of conditional 1sts for Bridges? Bridges isn't a #1 but he's a very solid low-end #2 with a great contract that plays both ends. With Claxton and Bridges you've got something to work with. High usage chuckers that play no defense can easily be found throughout drafts, undrafted, or are currently sitting on G-League and NBA benches just waiting for opportunity for touches. You can't easily find 6'8" two-way players like Bridges. There's maybe a dozen in the entire league.

Bridges is a lot closer to 6'5 than 6'8.. The problem is he is the only valuable piece in finding a potentail #1.
Jalen still has huge upside, can be next Wade/Harden light. Don't think Rockets will pick up teh phone anymore
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,682

Post#37 » by kingr » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

He recently started playing very well. Bridges was definitely better and the player to pick when they rejected the trade.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Post#38 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

Jalen Green’s had one really good month, but before that, he was the exact same player he’d been since he got drafted. I don’t think the Nets exactly missed out not taking this deal.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Post#39 » by MrBigShot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

iggymcfrack wrote:Jalen Green’s had one really good month, but before that, he was the exact same player he’d been since he got drafted. I don’t think the Nets exactly missed out not taking this deal.

Some guys take longer to figure it out, and his role on this team was a bit up and down. The guy has incredible athletic gifts.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#40 » by Wingy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

People get way too excited and make unjustified conclusions when a guy’s on a hot shooting streak. i.e. - Jalen Green

Shot 38 of 77 from 3 his last 7 games. Do people think that’s sustainable?

Even with that big streak on volume, he’s at exactly his career 34% 3p on the season.

Look at how much Jaden McD got paid. The Bridges archetype of player is the most coveted in the league outside of true superstars, or young bonafide all stars.

Should the Nets trade Bridges? Unless they have some star wanting to come to Brooklyn (Ben Simmons expiring for someone who specifically wants them?), yes they should. But the price should be very, very high.

Green and a couple of meh firsts wouldn’t have gotten it done for me either. Wait til the offseason when some teams have disappointed and flamed out again, and teams are making major moves.

Return to The General Board