Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,189

Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges 

Post#1 » by dygaction » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:40 am

Don't think Rockets would do it now..

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20
[/tweet]
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 608

Re: Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges 

Post#2 » by madskillz8 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:53 am

When someone says multiple FRPs, we often think of an haul type trades (Mitchell, Gobert, Durant to PHX, Harden to BRK, PG to LAC) but it might very well be Siakam to IND type FRPs or even less. It all depends which and how many FRPs are they? 2 or 4? 2024 Lottery protected pick, or 2028 unprotected pick? So, it is still highly likely that BRK reject this offer today, if they rejected two months ago.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,189

Re: Shams: Nets rejected Rockets' offer: Jalen Green and multiple 1sts for Mikal Bridges 

Post#3 » by dygaction » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:13 am

madskillz8 wrote:
dygaction wrote:Don't think Rockets would do it now..

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20
[/tweet]

When someone says multiple FRPs, we often think of an haul type trades (Mitchell, Gobert, Durant to PHX, Harden to BRK, PG to LAC) but it might very well be Siakam to IND type FRPs or even less. It all depends which and how many FRPs are they? 2 or 4? 2024 Lottery protected pick, or 2028 unprotected pick? So, it is still highly likely that BRK reject this offer today, if they rejected two months ago.

If I were the rockets, I would not do even a straight swap now. Bridges has been proven to be not a capable #1 at age 27. Jalen Green has much higher upside offensively.
SweaterBae
Rookie
And1: 1,572

Post#4 » by SweaterBae » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:19 am

Green is a chucker who does nothing else.
TacoLord
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,252

Post#5 » by TacoLord » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:32 am

The Nets just need to trade Bridges ASAP and get everything they can for him this offseason. I suspect they can do better than Jalen Green+picks, but they really need to move on to rebuild mode. They have no future with their current roster, they are a fringe play-in team at best. They have to shake it up and get some value for the few pieces they have.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#6 » by Decipher » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:37 am

TacoLord wrote:The Nets just need to trade Bridges ASAP and get everything they can for him this offseason. I suspect they can do better than Jalen Green+picks, but they really need to move on to rebuild mode. They have no future with their current roster, they are a fringe play-in team at best. They have to shake it up and get some value for the few pieces they have.

They were a fringe play-in team with crocked Simmons

They’re one of the worst teams in the league right now
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,554

Post#7 » by One_and_Done » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 am

Good on them. Definitely the right move.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,614

Post#8 » by Slacktard » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 am

TacoLord wrote:The Nets just need to trade Bridges ASAP and get everything they can for him this offseason. I suspect they can do better than Jalen Green+picks, but they really need to move on to rebuild mode. They have no future with their current roster, they are a fringe play-in team at best. They have to shake it up and get some value for the few pieces they have.

Houston is in the unique position of owning the NETS own picks, but really that only matters if the Nets ownership was willing to tank.

If they were willing to tank then it would put that value much higher, if they want to trade Bridges and still go after the next Durant/Kyrie/Harden then getting their own picks back would be even less desirable.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#9 » by sfernald » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:56 am

Lucky break for Rockets. Green is finally showing out as a potential superstar now that Sengun is out. They should probably trade Sengun this offseason instead of Green. They seem to play much faster and better without him. He’s holding this team back. Too short & too much control of offense and not enough defense is the worst kind of center there is.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Post#10 » by Rainwater » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:31 am

I can’t imagine them doing better than the the deal from the rockets. Bridges is a role player.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,654

Post#11 » by ogmagicfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:35 am

Rainwater wrote:

I can’t imagine them doing better than the the deal from the rockets. Bridges is a role player.

I feel the same.

If the Rockets were offering the Nets picks back, then they are just outright imbeciles for not accepting the offer

They could suck with a clear conscious knowing theyll atleast get good draft picks out of it

Their current roster construction is an awful fit
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#12 » by Dominator83 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:41 am

GMs always fall in love with their own players
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,316

Post#13 » by shi-woo » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:53 am

This was rumored at the time, and seems bad now, and back them too now knowing Nets were the ones who turned it down. Mikal isn't young, he's a known product, and will be 28 years old going into next season. There is no one on this Nets roster that is going to be on the team in 2026. Claxton, Mikal, and Cam aren't really the type of guys you want to spend the next few years building around, and their is nothing in the cupboard. Cam Thomas is a solid scorer, but a lot of us see him as a microwave off the bench instead of a Maxey clone.

Though there is reason to logically hold off. I assume given that Mikal has a pretty solid contract, literally one f the best in the league, that the Nets want to see how the draft and FA turns out first. Wait for a team to get desperate or a GM to think they are one player away after a deep playoff push,and maximize value that way.

Not every team can trade for or even want Dame, but every team can trade for and want Mikal Bridges. If Nets do decide to part wats they are going to get a fantastic package, and only history will tell if this one was better
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,903

Post#14 » by Sofia » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:03 am

15 games ago this was a good move tho
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#15 » by pipfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 am

This would have been a good move for both teams. Long term, I like Thompson/Whitmore/Smith/Seguin/Eason as the Hous core. Add in FVV/Bridges/Brooks as solid, leadership vets and win games. They'd still have most of their own picks (owing 2 to OKC, including this year's probably) but they could be something nice for years.

For BRK-I just don't see what they are doing. Their plan is to suck again next year and have Mitchell sign in the summer? EVEN if that happens, is a Mitchell/Bridges/Johnson/Claxton core really a contender?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#16 » by zimpy27 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:23 am

I still think Nets made right decision.

Nets have Brooklyn and they have glue guys.

They are primed to attract a 1st option in free agency.

If they had Jalen then they no longer are IMO. Simple as that.

Of course if they don't manage to secure someone in FA then I will seem the gamble a failure and stand corrected.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,843

Post#17 » by Karate Diop » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:03 am

It's very hard to trust Sham with these kind of things nowadays, outside of breaking a confirmed trade, everything he puts out is very clearly to push a narrative from someone he's chummy with.

We have from other rumors pretty good evidence that the Rockets were not willing to return attractive picks to the Nets...

If you believe one good stretch from Green alleviates the concerns with him, good for you, but he'll probably be back on the trading block come the off-season.

Unless there's confirmation that the Rockets did offer all of the Nets' picks back, the Nets made the right move.

Having to overpay Green as "the guy" on a rebuilding team without your own picks or other young blue chip prospects is a recipe for disaster.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 801

Post#18 » by Kiss of Death » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:35 am

Karate Diop wrote:It's very hard to trust Sham with these kind of things nowadays, outside of breaking a confirmed trade, everything he puts out is very clearly to push a narrative from someone he's chummy with.

We have from other rumors pretty good evidence that the Rockets were not willing to return attractive picks to the Nets...

Exactly.
Multiple firsts could be:
Nets 2024 pick and 2025 swap, lottery protected. Which likely means ZERO firsts.
Or Rockets own 2028 and 2030. Which will likely be 20-30.

If it is even true at all. The Nets have been leaking some outrageous offers for Bridges trying to increase his value, but no one is buying it.
Frankie
Sophomore
And1: 115

Post#19 » by Frankie » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:58 am

SweaterBae wrote:Green is a chucker who does nothing else.

Be honest, how many Rockets games have you watched this season? This seems like a very inaccurate current description of Jalen.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,411

Post#20 » by Zenzibar » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Karate Diop wrote:It's very hard to trust Sham with these kind of things nowadays, outside of breaking a confirmed trade, everything he puts out is very clearly to push a narrative from someone he's chummy with.

If you believe one good stretch from Green alleviates the concerns with him, good for you, but he'll probably be back on the trading block come the off-season.

Unless there's confirmation that the Rockets did offer all of the Nets' picks back, the Nets made the right move.

Having to overpay Green as "the guy" on a rebuilding team without your own picks or other young blue chip prospects is a recipe for disaster.

Obviously, I'm a Knicks fan and will be partial here but Brooklyn itself is not a destination as their front office and coaching staff are in flux. No star will want to go to a franchise that is unstable, trust me, the Knicks were that before Leon Rose arrived. The best move would be to get what they can for Mikal and draft super well.
Stop All Genocides

Return to The General Board