What's next for Sac town?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Re: What's next for Sac town? 

Post#61 » by Wagonband » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

They have a bright future.

However, i can't see how they become true championship contenders. But there's a lot of value in having a young team that is an outside threat to reach the conference finals and a perennial playoff team, even in the ringz culture of today.

If i'm the Kings i'm keeping the core together and try to make that 1 miracle trade when it appears, i'm not mortgaging my entire future to overpay for 1 player, and once he leaves the Kings are again at the bottom for 10 years on the slim opportunity to actually win a chip
TyFrekey
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#62 » by TyFrekey » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Wagonband wrote:They have a bright future.

However, i can't see how they become true championship contenders. But there's a lot of value in having a young team that is an outside threat to reach the conference finals and a perennial playoff team, even in the ringz culture of today.

If i'm the Kings i'm keeping the core together and try to make that 1 miracle trade when it appears, i'm not mortgaging my entire future to overpay for 1 player, and once he leaves the Kings are again at the bottom for 10 years on the slim opportunity to actually win a chip

I agree. 20 years in the basement of the league middling in inferiority. Now they're a play in team at their worst and like you said a dark horse to make the conference finals at their best. Akin to the Blazers with Dame and CJ. That's a great spot to be in and you obviously keep trying to improve the team through draft, FA, and trades and hope that you take the next step that the Blazers never could.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#63 » by Wingy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:That leaves us with very little to work with to use to acquire a bonafide #3. I'm seemingly alone because I don't think Murray is quite going to be that. And since he's the only bargaining chip we have except for future 1st round picks, any move we make to acquire a #3 would include him and I just can't see McNair moving him.

Seems like your perception is closely aligned with mine as an outsider. Makes total sense on Monk and the money. I’m not as high on Murray as most, and feel like they’ve got too many eggs in that basket.

I’m not even gonna say rich. He feels like a well off man’s version of my team’s Patrick Williams, who despite having more years in the league is actually a year younger than KM. Just don’t see Keegan as having the skill set to initiate much. Tough spot as he is a good player, and understand him to be a strong defender (a big deal on this particular squad), but I feel like the Kings are waiting for him to turn into something he’s not.

There’s literally nothing they can do to become a Boston, Denver, OKC type. I’d cash in on Murray + picks to get the best player I could to pair with Domas/Fox. Get more defenders / rim protectors (esp at the 4) to try to hide Domas’s deficiencies. Then all you can do is enjoy a really competitive team that’s just outside the real contenders…and pray like most everyone that they hit gold with that completely lucky pick landing a Maxey, Jimmy Butler, Gobert, etc late star pick. About all they can realistically do.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,843

Post#64 » by Karate Diop » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Theyre good and they are very young. Upgrading from Barnes and getting a defensive minded F/C would go a long way for them

I kind of feel bad for Barnes, he's a stopgap / placeholder everywhere he goes :lol:
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#65 » by dirkforpres » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Theyre good and they are very young. Upgrading from Barnes and getting a defensive minded F/C would go a long way for them

I kind of feel bad for Barnes, he's a stopgap / placeholder everywhere he goes :lol:

He got a ring and hundreds of millions of dollars. Don’t ever feel bad for him lol
FIRE JASON KIDD
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,250

Post#66 » by Godymas » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:00 pm

I don’t think the Kings will make the playoffs

Every player outside of their core guys are some real randos.

Malik Monk might walk in FA to Orlando.

Idk, the West is competitive and Sac just haven’t adapted

Mind you, Sac has basically the same winning % as last year when they were the 3 seed. Last year feels like a lost opportunity though.

Return to The General Board