Lebron won’t be on top 10 GOAT lists in 30 years

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,812

Re: Lebron won’t be on top 10 GOAT lists in 30 years 

Post#121 » by NZB2323 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
MacGill wrote:Yup - it certainly is possible. I have him in the top 10 right now but aside from fantastic regular season and some post season campaigns, he has some of the worst top 10 player post season meltdowns of any of the greats. When you realize that in the nba you don't have to be the best at everything on your team to become the best player and/or have the greatest impact you'll understand why others, even if modern statistical measurements don't show them as such, were superior players as they could work within a system, while exceling their own game and teammates beyond a simple statisical measurement that looks more and more empty each year as this era continues to balloon to heights not seen since the 60's.

Only if you compare him to Jordan. Everyone else has stinkers:

Lebron 2011 Finals: 18, 7, and 7, 54.1 TS%, 13.7 GmSc
Kobe 2004 Finals: 23, 4, and 3, 45.6 TS%, 11.6 GmSc
Shaq 2007 1st round: 18, 9, and 1, 52.9 TS%, 11.3 GmSc
Hakeem 1990 1st round: 19, 12, and 2, 47.8 TS%, 17.1 GmSc
Curry 2016 Finals: 23, 5, and 4, 58 TS%, 13.1 GmSC
Duncan 2011 1st round: 20, 3, and 5, 50 TS%, 10.6 GmSc

Magic 1981 1st round: 17, 14, and 7, 44.1 TS%
Kareem 1973 1st round: 23, 16, and 3, 44.7 TS%

Wilt 1969 Finals: 12, 25, and 3, 50% FG, 36.4 FT%
Russell 1967 Division Finals: 11, 23, and 6, 35.8 FG%, 67.9 FT%
Bird 1983 ECF: 18, 14, and 7, 41.2/20/73.1 shooting splits

That's what seperates Jordan. His worse series is probably in 1995 coming back from baseball, but even that wasn't that bad:

Jordan 1995 ECSF: 31, 7, and 4, 53.9 TS%, 21.6 GmSc

I guess you could say Hakeem wasn't that bad, but he had a real stinker in 1998 also. You could say he was past his prime, but he was the same age as Jordan who won Finals MVP that year.

If anyone knows how I could find the GmSc stats for Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, and Bird in those series I would appreciate it.

Also, Lebron put up great stats from 2007-2016, which is similar to the 1990s in terms of scoring. And even today's numbers aren't as inflated as 1962.

And Wilt is the opposite of a player who could work within a system. Dude refused to practice before noon for a season.

Unfortunately a lot of this stuff gets lost over time, or newer fans come along and never knew or learned about it to begin with.

Larry Legend, patron saint of clutchness, was awful in that series with the Sixers -- he failed to surpass his scoring average in the final six games, shooting terribly in the process -- and a couple of others. Magic Johnson remains my favorite player of all time, and while he had good counting stats in the 84 Finals he also screwed up not one but two end-of-regulation possessions in games the Lakers lost in OT (bricking two critical FTs in the second for good measure). L.A. should have swept that series and they lost in 7 in no small part because of those F ups. As great as Kobe was, much like Brett Favre with his unforced interceptions there was always a chance he was going to shoot you right out of a game. And so on.

The 2011 Finals remains probably the biggest WTF performance I've ever seen from a big gun. At that point I was ready to pretty much write LeBron off. But he proceeded to turn in monster performance after monster performance over the next decade, to the point that I have to laugh when people say he doesn't pass the "eye test" or whatever other BS. I had a list at one point of like 15 games where the Heat/Cavs were facing a 3-1 deficit or outright elimination that he came up huge. He's got the highest Game 7 scoring average in history. He's got the highest elimination scoring average in history. Totally redeemed in my eyes.

At the end of the day it just comes down to personal biases. But you should still be able to put that crap aside. Like it would be hard to put into words just how much I loathed Jordan while he was playing. But at no point did I try to twist myself into pretzels to deny his greatness. How so many people continue to do that with LeBron honestly boggles my mind sometimes. The notion that he's not going to be Top 10 in 30, 40, even 50 years with everything he's done is preposterous.

I mean, we also have this website from 1999 that claims that Michael Jordan isn’t a top 50 player, and came up with Power Points that have Derrick Coleman, Gus Johnson, Bill Bridges, Harry Galatin, Gerald Govin, Alex Groza, Jim Lison, John Raymond, and Johnny Kerr ranked ahead of Jordan.

https://airjudden2.tripod.com/ejf/indexf.html

Jordan haters can be just as silly as Lebron haters. It’s silly because they both should be appreciated for their greatness.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,985

Post#122 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 am

NZB2323 wrote:I mean, we also have this website from 1999 that claims that Michael Jordan isn’t a top 50 player, and came up with Power Points that have Derrick Coleman, Gus Johnson, Bill Bridges, Harry Galatin, Gerald Govin, Alex Groza, Jim Lison, John Raymond, and Johnny Kerr ranked ahead of Jordan.

https://airjudden2.tripod.com/ejf/indexf.html

Jordan haters can be just as silly as Lebron haters. It’s silly because they both should be appreciated for their greatness.

lol, that's so wild. The intentional name misspelling...
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 603

Post#123 » by Chessboxer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

I don't see it happening, however one thing that will push Lebron out of the top 5 is if there are 2 or 3 players in the next 30 years that establish some type of dynasty. Similar to Steph in Golden State, only players more dominant hypothetically. Its at that point Lebrons' Thanos method of collecting championship rings will hurt him significantly, and he'll be viewed as a highly decorated mercenary.

Lebrons' inability to establish any type of dynasty given the talent he has, and the talent he's played with, is one of the main reasons he is nowhere near the GOAT in my eyes. Mainly because it is first and foremost a team game, and there is no sport where an individual impacts a team outcome more than basketball. I honestly think that's why Lebron has been in panic mode the last couple of season racking up as many longevity stats as he can, because he knows his team accomplishments can be picked apart, especially his Finals record.

That being said, he will still he top 10 in 30 years I think but being locked into the top 3-5 is not certain.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,488

Post#124 » by RHODEY » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 am

Hair Jordan wrote:Wilt owns more records than anyone in NBA history. It’s not even close. Some of his records are truly mind boggling. You’d think a guy who owns the NBA record book would be bulletproof over the course of history. He’s not. He’s also upside down in the NBA Finals (2-4). He was only able to beat Bill Russel’s Celts one time and lost to him the rest of the time. Wilt always fell short of Russell in the GOAT debate and his historical ranking has aged poorly over time. Most basketball fans dismiss his record breaking statistical dominance by claiming he was a physical specimen who just overwhelmed inferior athletes or opponents. In the 90’s, Wilt was on most everyone’s top 10 list but over the last ten years he’s dropped off of most top 10 lists. I think the same will happen to Lebron. He’ll age poorly. Future fans will dismiss his record breaking stats and claim he was just a physical specimen who bullied his opponents (like Wilt). He’s also upside down in the Finals (4-6) like Wilt was. He was only able to beat Curry once and lost to him the rest of the time (again, like Wilt). In 30 years time we’ll probably see Lebron backslide off of a lot of top 10 lists. Jordan has been able to withstand the test of time though, maybe because he’s not an impossible specimen and maybe it’s because he’s not upside down in the Finals. It’s been 33 years since his first title and he’s still 1 or 2 on most GOAT lists. However, I think Lebron will get the Wilt treatment over time. Am I right or wrong?

He's barely on my top 10 list right now.

Jordan
Kobe
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Hakeem
Russel
Curry
Lebron (maybe -tied with Isiah Thomas)
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#125 » by Meat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

Hair Jordan wrote:Wilt owns more records than anyone in NBA history. It’s not even close. Some of his records are truly mind boggling. You’d think a guy who owns the NBA record book would be bulletproof over the course of history. He’s not. He’s also upside down in the NBA Finals (2-4). He was only able to beat Bill Russel’s Celts one time and lost to him the rest of the time. Wilt always fell short of Russell in the GOAT debate and his historical ranking has aged poorly over time. Most basketball fans dismiss his record breaking statistical dominance by claiming he was a physical specimen who just overwhelmed inferior athletes or opponents. In the 90’s, Wilt was on most everyone’s top 10 list but over the last ten years he’s dropped off of most top 10 lists. I think the same will happen to Lebron. He’ll age poorly. Future fans will dismiss his record breaking stats and claim he was just a physical specimen who bullied his opponents (like Wilt). He’s also upside down in the Finals (4-6) like Wilt was. He was only able to beat Curry once and lost to him the rest of the time (again, like Wilt). In 30 years time we’ll probably see Lebron backslide off of a lot of top 10 lists. Jordan has been able to withstand the test of time though, maybe because he’s not an impossible specimen and maybe it’s because he’s not upside down in the Finals. It’s been 33 years since his first title and he’s still 1 or 2 on most GOAT lists. However, I think Lebron will get the Wilt treatment over time. Am I right or wrong?

You think nostalgia wont kick in once current fans start greying and they start hating whatever going to be the "new nba."

also lebron captured in 4k, nobody's gonna go back and watch grainy all wilt games
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,689

Post#126 » by NbaAllDay » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

Said it before and it should go without saying:

Lebron will have/already has one of the Greatest highlight packages of all time.

The vast majority of casual Fans have based their opinion on highlights of MJ and how he is portrayed by the media.

Lebron has an equal strong (likely better due to quality) highlight reel, and unless a Skip takes over main stream media, has a at minimum top 2 to 3 plyer of all-time narrative argument.

You can not compare the 'plumbers' argument from 60 years ago, because people have limited footage to see, and the footage they do doesn't do justice to what those players accomplished.

So the comparison is very far off base for those making the argument.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#127 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

Roger Murdock wrote:There’s a chance that LeBron isn’t viewed as a top 10 player in 30 years but if it happens it means that we have an *explosion* of NBA talent starting basically right now, that pushes everyone down.

LeBron has a top 3 peak and top 2 longevity in NBA history. His career overlaps directly with the wave of social media. Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc have romanticized careers because they played when sports coverage was handled by analysts and broadcasters. At the start of LeBrons career, social media, message boards, and blogs were in their infancy. Sports coverage went from analysis to hot take culture led by Skip Bayless. Fast forward a few years, Twitter, podcasts, everyone has a voice and the more critical and negative voices get more clicks. Negativity sells considerably easier than positivity and LeBron has been the post boy for hot takes because he was pegged as the chosen one.

LeBron has been in the league for 20 years. Nobody that has joined the NBA has been anywhere even close to usurping him as the next GOAT level player.

-KD, Wade and Steph - worse peaks, worse playoff performances, less longevity
-Harden - lol
-Davis and Zion failed to live up to the hype
-Jokic and Giannis are the surprise superstars but both peaks hit too late and Giannis already has more playoff failures than LeBron and a worse peak. I can’t see Jokic getting there
-Doncic looked like the next guy but hasn’t had same trajectory as LeBron
-Maybe Wemby?

That’s 20 years and 0 players with comparable peak or longevity. You need both.
How has Jokic peaked too late? He could be in the middle of a 3peat right now!
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#128 » by NZB2323 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

RHODEY wrote:

Jordan
Kobe
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Hakeem
Russel
Curry

So you have Isiah Thomas ahead of Shaq and Wilt and tied with Lebron?
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,680

Post#129 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

You are reaching if you put Hakeem ahead of LeBron. Hakeem would need four rings for me to even consider it. LeBron has the distinction of being the unquestioned best player for an "era." That makes him a GOAT in the same category as MJ, Wilt, and Kareem.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Slade3
Sixth Man
And1: 805

Post#130 » by Slade3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

hauntedcomputer wrote:Certainly there will be a more rational and less emotional examination of his career once he's "forgotten." He'll probably still be scoring champ in 30 years most likely--but people will claim it's a byproduct of the inflated offense of his era, the three-ball and emasculation of the defense and that he was doing it against day traders and G-Leaguers.

I think the six losses will eventually weigh heavily against him. Mikan has a rational near-GOAT case but nobody makes it anymore because the weight of bias is just too great to overcome. The same will hold true in the future. Jordan's 6-0 seems more mystical than 40k career points. And people 30 years from now will be inflating whatever guy they currently like.

Oh you mean the guy who didn't even make the playoffs some seasons or lose in the first round. Oh yeah, real mythical that guy.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#131 » by RHODEY » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

NZB2323 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Jordan
Kobe
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Hakeem
Russel
Curry

Wilt should be in the Mix , I just never actually watched him. I think Isiah is underrated his leadership and superhuman toughness . But 8-12 are kind of a tossup , with Lebron trailing the pack Imo.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,036

Post#132 » by BeiBeau » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

This entire conversation is **** stupid. Anyone who says Lebron isn’t currently top 2 doesn’t know basketball or is a troll. Anyone who is in here defending Lebron has fallen for the most unserious rage bait of all time.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#133 » by NZB2323 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

RHODEY wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Jordan
Kobe
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Hakeem
Russel
Curry

Wilt should be in the Mix , I just never actually watched him. I think Isiah is underrated his leadership and superhuman toughness . But 8-12 are kind of a tossup , with Lebron trailing the pack Imo.

This is what I'm talking about when I call IT the most overrated player of all time. I routinely see him on top 10 lists and his career is much closer to Chauncey Billups than a top 10 player. For some reason there is a narrative that IT beat Magic, Bird and Jordan but there isn't a narrative that Billups beat Shaq, Kobe, and Dirk. Let's look at some playoff stats of IT, Billups, Wilt, Shaq, and Lebron.

Thomas 1989: 18, 8, and 4, 48.1 TS%, 18.6 PER
Billups 2004: 16, 6, and 3, 54.6 TS%, 18.8 PER

Thomas 1990: 22, 8, and 6, 56 TS%, 21 PER
Billups 2009: 21, 7, and 4, 66.4 TS%, 22.9 PER

Wilt 1967: 22, 29, and 9, 54.6 TS%, 25.3 PER
Wilt 1972: 15, 21, and 3, 56.2 TS%, 17.8 PER
Shaq 2000: 31, 15, and 3, 55.6 TS%, 30.5 PER
Shaq 2001: 30, 15, and 3, 56.4 TS%, 28.7 PER
Shaq 2002: 29, 13, and 3, 56.9 TS%, 28.3 PER
Lebron 2012: 30, 10, and 6, 57.6 TS%, 30.3 PER
Lebron 2013: 26, 8, and 7, 58.5 TS%, 28.1 PER
Lebron 2016: 26, 10, and 8, 58.5 TS%, 30 PER
Lebron 2020: 28, 11, and 9, 64.7 TS%, 30.2 PER

IT didn't put up Wilt, Shaq, or Lebron numbers. He put up Chauncey Billups numbers.

All time leading scorers:
Lebron: 1st
Wilt: 7th
Shaq: 11th
Thomas: 72nd
Billups: 132nd

VORP
Shaq: 18th
Billups: 49th
Thomas: 60th
We don't have this stat for Wilt

BPM
Lebron: 3rd
Shaq: 22nd
Billups: 60th
Thomas: 89th

Championships
Lebron: 4
Shaq: 4
Wilt: 2
Thomas: 2
Billups: 1

Finals MVPs
Shaq: 3
Wilt: 1(should be 2, the award didn't exist in 1967)
Thomas: 1

MVPs
Wilt: 4
Shaq: 1
Billups: 0
Thomas: 0

All-NBA teams
Lebron: 19
Shaq: 15
Wilt: 10
Thomas: 5
Billups: 3

All-star teams
Lebron: 20
Wilt: 13
Thomas: 12
Billups: 5

All-defensive teams
Lebron: 6
Wilt: 2(the 1st all-defensive team was in 1969, Wilt's 10th year)
Billups: 2

There is no criteria to have IT in the top 10, other than some mythological "superhuman strength" and "leadership" jargon that for some reason applies to him but not Chauncey Billups.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,689

Post#134 » by NbaAllDay » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

NZB2323 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

This is what I'm talking about when I call IT the most overrated player of all time. I routinely see him on top 10 lists and his career is much closer to Chauncey Billups than a top 10 player. For some reason there is a narrative that IT beat Magic, Bird and Jordan but there isn't a narrative that Billups beat Shaq, Kobe, and Dirk. Let's look at some playoff stats of IT, Billups, Wilt, Shaq, and Lebron.

IT didn't put up Wilt, Shaq, or Lebron numbers. He put up Chauncey Billups numbers.

VORP

BPM

Championships

Finals MVPs

MVPs

All-NBA teams

All-star teams

All-defensive teams

There is no criteria to have IT in the top 10, other than some mythological "superhuman strength" and "leadership" jargon that for some reason applies to him but not Chauncey Billups.

Don't waste your time. Look at the posters history and you'll see he just wants a reaction.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#135 » by perempe20 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

Why does he always make the headlines? Rui scored 32 points with seven three-pointers, and it's "LeBron James has triple-double to help Lakers beat Grizzlies, 136-124" on ESPN. Did he play better than Rui?
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#136 » by NZB2323 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

NbaAllDay wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

VORP

BPM

Championships

Finals MVPs

MVPs

All-NBA teams

All-star teams

All-defensive teams

Don't waste your time. Look at the posters history and you'll see he just wants a reaction.

I argue this because people have IT in their top 10. Shaq does. Jordan called him the 2nd best point guard of all time.

ESPN’s 75 team ranked had him at 27, ahead of Wade and Kawhi, which is crazy to me. There was a point in time where Kawhi was regarded as the best player in the NBA. There was a point in time where Wade was regarded as the best player in the NBA. There was never a time where IT was regarded as the best player at his position. I’m not even sure he was the best player on his team.

Playoff Stats
Wade 2006: 28, 6, and 6, 59.3 TS%, 26.9 PER
Kawhi 2019: 31, 9, and 4, 61.9 TS%, 27.9 PER
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,791

Post#137 » by Iwasawitness » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

NZB2323 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

VORP

BPM

Championships

Finals MVPs

MVPs

All-NBA teams

All-star teams

All-defensive teams

I argue this because people have IT in their top 10. Shaq does. Jordan called him the 2nd best point guard of all time.

ESPN’s 75 team ranked had him at 27, ahead of Wade and Kawhi, which is crazy to me. There was a point in time where Kawhi was regarded as the best player in the NBA. There was a point in time where Wade was regarded as the best player in the NBA. There was never a time where IT was regarded as the best player at his position. I’m not even sure he was the best player on his team.

Playoff Stats

You’re putting way too much effort into something that already goes without saying. LeBron is leagues above Thomas. This is Rhodey we’re talking about here.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,112

Post#138 » by art_tatum » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Lebron is somewhere in the top 5 and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future

Jordan
Lebron
Kaj
Russell
Wilt

But hard for me to say he was the player of the era when it was pretty much the 3 point shooting curry warriors era from 2015 on.
The only clear Lebron era was the heatles super team era, 2011-2014 before that was Duncan and Kobe.
And while Lebron was consistently a top 5 player ( to extend his range) since like 2007 to 2020, the only years I can say he was undisputed best player was 2012 2013
Dirk was 2011 and many will say Kobe Duncan dirk before that
2014 to 2018 was mix of KD and curry
2019 klaw or kd/curry
2020 2021 Giannis
2022- 2024 joker
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#139 » by RHODEY » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

VORP

BPM

Championships

Finals MVPs

MVPs

All-NBA teams

All-star teams

All-defensive teams

Playoff Stats

You cant just lookk at pure stats. You have to look at who they went through to get their rings . And also the ability to come up big when it counts and Bill Russel did it and so did IsaihThomas ...sometimes on a bum ankle.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,771

Post#140 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

Weird thread, lol.

It's been over 30 years since Bird, Magic and Kareem have retired but nobody would put them outside of the top 10.

It's been over 20 years since MJ retired and most people still have him at #1.

Lebron will firmly be #2 (maybe #1 in some people's eyes) until a player's accomplishments come remotely close to his...that would be 4 MVPs, 4FMVPs, 4 championships, over a dozen all NBA 1st teams, and a bunch of other accolades etc etc etc.

Right now the only people in the league close to him are KD and Curry but they won't be able to catch him and are already slowing down.

In terms of younger players, guys like Jokic or Giannis would need at least another couple MVPs and another 2-3 championships to even get in the conversation.

Return to The General Board