OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,596

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#241 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

shrink wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
shrink wrote:The double doubles, triple doubles, assist records etc make her more than “just a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketball.”

And she “happens” to be the best scorer of all time - nice how for her that she happened into that.

GOAT status! :D

I underlined your sentence. I said nothing about GOAT.

JustBuzzin wrote:In reality she's a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketbal.

On record Juju will be a better pro.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,746

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#242 » by shrink » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
shrink wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:GOAT status! :D

I underlined your sentence. I said nothing about GOAT.

JustBuzzin wrote:In reality she's a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketbal.

On record Juju will be a better pro.

Maybe. But since you proved so ignorant about the popular Caitlyn Clark, forgive me if I don’t trust your opinion on Juju.

But I get it. Some people just want to hear themselves talk.
LouisLitt
Sixth Man
And1: 3,120

Post#243 » by LouisLitt » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

Men are totally fine watching basketball played by men who can't dunk for crap.

Luka, Jokic, and Curry are three of the most popular players in the league today. Nobody ever talks about lowering the rim for them.

So yeah, I'm sick of this stupid argument. It's dumb and it's insulting.

There's a pretty stark difference between "99.9% of players can't dunk" and "I don't need a player to dunk every play for me to enjoy the sport". Also, Luka, Steph, and Jokic can all dunk.

Think of the biggest highlights this season, all dunks. Mostly from Ant.

I mean the NBA literally has an entire weekend that's being saved by a dunk contest.

Curry and that girl shooting 3's was the biggest event of the allstar weekend...

Does anyone watch the dunk contest? And Jokic's passes are easily half the top plays of this year.

It was a big event of literally one all-star weekend in the entire history of all-star weekends.

The dunk contest is the biggest event. Every year people pray we get a repeat of the 2016 dunk contest.

Jokic passes aren't the most watched plays of this year, dunks are. They always are.

MJ literally made an entire brand off the "Jumpman" and you're telling me they're not the most important aspect of the sport for marketability?
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#244 » by boogiezen » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

Imagine doing this in the BIG3.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

But honestly, this is just a publicity stunt from Ice Cube. Nothing more.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,144

Post#245 » by OxAndFox » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am

Clark will regret not taking this if its declined. Plenty of time to make her mark on the WNBA.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#246 » by naabzor » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 am

I don't think she is going to take 5 million to go play for a meaningless league and run the risk of being dominated by washed up NBA players or journeyman what does she have to earn from this apart from the money?
ryan in Maine
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#247 » by ryan in Maine » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:04 am

I didn't read the whole thread but I didn't see anyone bring up the most obvious reason for Clark to turn this down with the quickness -- it's Ice Cube. That's a pretty good reason to not associate with a league.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,396

Post#248 » by baldur » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am

imagine she gets dominated by 50 year old cuttino mobley, which will happen anyway.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#249 » by sisibilio » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm

sikma42 wrote:Nah I think you are really off on that. CC would look really bad against any level of college plus comp. In a lot of ways she skilled enough and it would show pretty easily. I don’t think she’d be able to handle the ball or finish, let alone defense. Someone like Juju projects to play better with men dude to her handle, burst and body control.

Not really. Realistically none of them could but at least CC has that crazy shooting going for her, so she could msybe provide some valuable spacing. Juju would still be absurdly athletically overwhelmed even by mediocre college guys so the handles and body control wouldn't matter much.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Post#250 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Big thing: When women's basketball becomes a punchline, it hurts women's basketball. Simple as that.

Re: Who's watching the Indiana Fever, let the Big3 promote the hell out of it. For perspective:

Big3 current annual revenue: $13.5 million.
WNBA current annual revenue: $180 million.

You clearly think that the WNBA is as unpopular as it could possibly get, but it's an absolute giant compared to Big3.

Is it possible that Clark to the Big3 will make way more people watch the Big3 than the WNBA has ever done before? Perhaps, but if this is the case, it will be because of Clark not because people like Big3.

Make no mistake, Ice Cube is doing this because Clark matters and the Big3 doesn't, not because his league is in a position of strength.

That's pretty comparable if it's 10 games vs 40 + playoffs on a per game revenue basis, no? Not to be annoying but that doesn't paint the WNBA in a good light given big 3 is much newer.

Uh, not really. If you quadruple the season for Big3 you'd still get something less than 1/3rd of the WNBA.

Re: impressive given Big3 is newer? I mean, maybe, but from a perspective of Clark, there's really no question about which is the bigger deal.

I assumed the WNBA had more teams...yeah math doesn't check out then.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#251 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 pm

phanman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:1. The people tuning in to watch Clark in general are going to be people excited about Clark. If they watch her get humiliated, this may well dampen their enthusiasm.

2. Since not just Clark but everyone in the women's game is invested in the bubble of hype surrounding Clark, making her next move something that humiliates her seems like a guaranteed way to puncture the bubble.

I don't get the argument for her getting humiliated in the Big 3. She can definitely hang with that level of competition even if they are in fact men. You have to remember that it is strictly a half court game which places a higher emphasis on skills vs athleticism. There are plenty of female basketball players that can easily hang with men on the basketball court, c'mon guys, its 2024.

NO the half court game places more emphasis on weight and strength. At least in a full court game the men in the big 3 would get tired.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#252 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 pm

LouisLitt wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:
There's a pretty stark difference between "99.9% of players can't dunk" and "I don't need a player to dunk every play for me to enjoy the sport". Also, Luka, Steph, and Jokic can all dunk.

Think of the biggest highlights this season, all dunks. Mostly from Ant.

I mean the NBA literally has an entire weekend that's being saved by a dunk contest.

Curry and that girl shooting 3's was the biggest event of the allstar weekend...

Does anyone watch the dunk contest? And Jokic's passes are easily half the top plays of this year.

It was a big event of literally one all-star weekend in the entire history of all-star weekends.

The dunk contest is the biggest event. Every year people pray we get a repeat of the 2016 dunk contest.

Jokic passes aren't the most watched plays of this year, dunks are. They always are.

MJ literally made an entire brand off the "Jumpman" and you're telling me they're not the most important aspect of the sport for marketability?

The 3 point contest in general is the bigger allstar weekend event. It's where actual stars compete, something they don't do in the slam dunk contest.

And I'm not saying nobody watches dunks. They make for some good entertainment sometimes. But the dunk contest doesn't generally have the top players, or even close to. There isn't anything new or exciting for people to do with dunks. And I'm tuning in to see a Jokic "sick pass" highlight reel 1000x before and ANT dunk video. And Ant's a pretty good dunker, but it's all stuff we've seen before. I've never seen the stuff Jokic is doing. Just like in 2016, I was watching Curry 3 point packages because I'd never seen someone shooting like that.

Again we just saw the most watched allstar saturday in like a decade, with peak views during the curry 3 point shooting.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#253 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
phanman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:1. The people tuning in to watch Clark in general are going to be people excited about Clark. If they watch her get humiliated, this may well dampen their enthusiasm.

2. Since not just Clark but everyone in the women's game is invested in the bubble of hype surrounding Clark, making her next move something that humiliates her seems like a guaranteed way to puncture the bubble.

I don't get the argument for her getting humiliated in the Big 3. She can definitely hang with that level of competition even if they are in fact men. You have to remember that it is strictly a half court game which places a higher emphasis on skills vs athleticism. There are plenty of female basketball players that can easily hang with men on the basketball court, c'mon guys, its 2024.

NO the half court game places more emphasis on weight and strength. At least in a full court game the men in the big 3 would get tired.

One thing to keep in mind is if the Big-3 actually pulled off this marketing coupe, would they be willing to change their rules to make it work and what would they need to do?

As someone who's never watched their product, I have no idea how physical of a game they play, but perhaps they could tone that down? Maybe require each team has at least one woman and they have to guard each other? Go full on WWWE and script the dang thing?
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Post#254 » by OdomFan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

ejftw wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
OdomFan wrote:Ice Cube should just make a deal with the whole WNBA. promote the hell out of it, lower the rims. Put a whole new spin on Womens basketball with talent like Caitlin Clark as the poster of it all.
Lowering the rim instantly discredits any league.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

This 100x.

Reminds me of when the MLS wanted to make the goals bigger to attract more fans. :lol:

Well for a league where none of its players can jump high enough. I don't see the harm in lowering it some. Attracting more fans is what it's all about. Heck. It might even help progress things if the rims get lowered. More of the WNBA players will work on their dunking, as as time goes on it could get to the point where womens basketball evolves to that point where the rims can be raised up some to to make it more challenging. Gotta start some where.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#255 » by Effigy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Effigy wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
I think the bigger force here is Nike. If Nike's happy for her to do it, no reason for her to be afraid of the NBA.

If I were Nike though, I'd want her to say "No".

Why though? Who's watching the Indiana Fever? Let her do this, let Ice Cube promote the hell out of it, then her introduction to the WNBA can also be promoted. I only see positives for Nike, no negatives.

Big thing: When women's basketball becomes a punchline, it hurts women's basketball. Simple as that.

Re: Who's watching the Indiana Fever, let the Big3 promote the hell out of it. For perspective:

Big3 current annual revenue: $13.5 million.
WNBA current annual revenue: $180 million.

You clearly think that the WNBA is as unpopular as it could possibly get, but it's an absolute giant compared to Big3.

Is it possible that Clark to the Big3 will make way more people watch the Big3 than the WNBA has ever done before? Perhaps, but if this is the case, it will be because of Clark not because people like Big3.

Make no mistake, Ice Cube is doing this because Clark matters and the Big3 doesn't, not because his league is in a position of strength.

Last year's number one pick was Aliyah Boston, who was drafted by the same team that has the number one pick this year. Aliyah made $74,000 last year. In a league with $180 million annual revenue. But A league with $13.5 million annual revenue is offering almost half of their revenue to Caitlin. This isn't an argument. You don't turn down $5 million to make $74,000. By her going with the Big 3 for a year, not only does she make a heap of money, but it further shines the spotlight on what WNBA players are making.

dhsilv2 wrote:

Yeah, it was so big you don't even remember her name. (It was Sabrina Ionescu)
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#256 » by G35 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
phanman wrote:

Yeah in a half court game, the court is more congested, no breakaway scoring opportunities, you definitely will need to move without the ball a lot more. What are the defensive rules in BIG 3 halfcourt...are there defensive 3 seconds...illegal defense...zone defenses. But I always found half court games to be harder to score.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#257 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
phanman wrote:I don't get the argument for her getting humiliated in the Big 3. She can definitely hang with that level of competition even if they are in fact men. You have to remember that it is strictly a half court game which places a higher emphasis on skills vs athleticism. There are plenty of female basketball players that can easily hang with men on the basketball court, c'mon guys, its 2024.

One thing to keep in mind is if the Big-3 actually pulled off this marketing coupe, would they be willing to change their rules to make it work and what would they need to do?

As someone who's never watched their product, I have no idea how physical of a game they play, but perhaps they could tone that down? Maybe require each team has at least one woman and they have to guard each other? Go full on WWWE and script the dang thing?

I watched some clips after people claimed she'd be able to out run these guys. Umm...she wouldn't. And in terms of toning it down, they'd need all new guys. These over weight 40+year old guys aren't nimble and quick enough to not hack each other. They'd need to change the league massively from the little I saw. Maybe those clips weren't enough...again full admit I didn't watch much. But I can't see a 6'0 women doing well with 300+ pound 6'10 guys dunk and guys on the outside bumping and grinding with all their weight.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#258 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 pm

G35 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
phanman wrote:I don't get the argument for her getting humiliated in the Big 3. She can definitely hang with that level of competition even if they are in fact men. You have to remember that it is strictly a half court game which places a higher emphasis on skills vs athleticism. There are plenty of female basketball players that can easily hang with men on the basketball court, c'mon guys, its 2024.

Yeah in a half court game, the court is more congested, no breakaway scoring opportunities, you definitely will need to move without the ball a lot more. What are the defensive rules in BIG 3 halfcourt...are there defensive 3 seconds...illegal defense...zone defenses. But I always found half court games to be harder to score.....

man it looks like a YMCA pickup game where you call your own fouls than a professional game. I might be slightly exaggerating but it's as physical as that sounds. And the bad passes are off the chart.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#259 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 pm

Effigy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

See that's just rude. I never listened long enough to learn her name! And I won't start now lol. I also haven't watched a minute of allstar weekend in a decade plus. Doesn't mean I don't know that this got huge ratings.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#260 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Effigy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

See that's just rude. I never listened long enough to learn her name! And I won't start now lol. I also haven't watched a minute of allstar weekend in a decade plus. Doesn't mean I don't know that this got huge ratings.

I watched it and I didn't remember her name. :roll:

Return to The General Board