OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#281 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 pm

Optms wrote:
The majority of the world basically understands the differences between men and women. So even if a few million in the US foolishly believe otherwise, I'm of the mind that they can't be helped.

On the flip side, I want to see Clark in the Big 3 just for the entertainment reasons. Its a gimmick league. She's also getting paid way more than what she can earn elsewhere which is great for her. Now if you put her in actual established men's basketball teams, than yeah, no. I wouldn't care how much she earns. That is doing a diservice to her and women in general and making a mockery of mens basketball.

Exactly, its a gimmick in a gimmick league. Ice Cube may even tell guys not to go that hard on her because why? Because all pro sports leagues are about viewership and money above all else. That's the whole reason he's offering her $5m to come play. Some posters on here don't understand that this isn't about the whole men/women are equal agenda nonsense. It's just about getting views and people wanting to see how she does. The problem is that if she does do ok people are going to feel the need to try and tear her down for it instead of just understanding its meant to be entertainment. It's not that serious and its not a threat to your masculinity if they go slightly easy on her.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#282 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
This is a terrible idea.

1. She's been playing against men her whole life. All the women's college teams play against guys on campus who aren't good enough to make a D3 roster and they get dominated. So there's no benefit here. Obviously those guys aren't going 100% but they don't want to hurt them.
2. It'll bring negative attention in that she'll get dominated in a pretty embarrassingly bad way. This would be horrible for her brand and women's basketball on the whole. There's a reason more women don't do this.
3. Leg up? Because she embarrassed herself and ruined her nike brand deals because it turned into a joke?
4. She's already making about this off endorsements. There's no reason to hurt her brand. This would cost her money long term, likely a lot.

I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but people need to just accept that men and women are physically too far apart to compete in sports outside of a few really rare exceptions (like those 100+ mile marathons). But because so many people just seemingly refuse to accept it, spelling it out on the court would just be bad for the women's game and marketing of it.

I don't agree. Even if she isn't able to legitimately compete on the court she'll still be known as the woman who tried and as they say in marketing 'there's no such as bad publicity'. Plus she'll make 10-20x what she would in the wnba. So for her personally I think its the right move to make. Don't agree it would cost her anything in the long term either. Much more so if she can actually sort of compete in Ice Cube's league. Then when she does go to the wnba she'll bring that much more attention to her games there.

Oh god. You're still implying she has a chance to compete...she doesn't!

But lets move past that. No...No and NO! There are legit millions of her fans so stupid they think she'd do well in the big 3. That 100% hurts her marketing! Again people are freaking stupid!

Now here is the bigger issue. I'm nike and I want her in my brand. I don't want 10 games in a league where she's going to play horrible. I want 40 games where I can run commercials where she'll I hope be good! And he brand is going to lower in value every year she's a pro because and I hate to say this. But college basketball is as popular as the NBA in the states, maybe more. Women's college basketball is WAY more popular then WNBA!
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#283 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:Oh god. You're still implying she has a chance to compete...she doesn't!

But lets move past that. No...No and NO! There are legit millions of her fans so stupid they think she'd do well in the big 3. That 100% hurts her marketing! Again people are freaking stupid!

Now here is the bigger issue. I'm nike and I want her in my brand. I don't want 10 games in a league where she's going to play horrible. I want 40 games where I can run commercials where she'll I hope be good! And he brand is going to lower in value every year she's a pro because and I hate to say this. But college basketball is as popular as the NBA in the states, maybe more. Women's college basketball is WAY more popular then WNBA!

You're acting like it would cause so much harm just for her to try. It won't. She has nothing left to prove to people who are already fans tbh. The fact you are using all caps and exclamations here to make a point though tells me I think its gone far enough. We disagree on this. Life goes on.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#284 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Oh god. You're still implying she has a chance to compete...she doesn't!

You're acting like it would cause so much harm just for her to try. It won't. She has nothing left to prove to people who are already fans tbh. The fact you are using all caps and exclamations here to make a point though tells me I think its gone far enough. We disagree on this. Life goes on.

I think you've lost sigh of the world we live in.

Just to show how stupid people are! And this is sooooooooooo wild. And marketing people want people to think woman can compete with men. They can't! But here this is who they want to market to! This is not nearly as insane as people want to believe.

Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#285 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:I think you've lost sigh of the world we live in.

Just to show how stupid people are! And this is sooooooooooo wild. And marketing people want people to think woman can compete with men. They can't! But here this is who they want to market to! This is not nearly as insane as people want to believe.

I'm fully aware some people believe it and for some people its a big deal. I just don't think it has much of anything to do with why Ice Cube made the offer and I think they'd actually go semi easy on her so she could play. Which is a win win for her and for big 3 because she will bring viewership. Nothing to do with equality between the sexes in sports. Will some of those people then use that as proof that the gap between the sexes is very small? Probably but that's not relevant to why I'm saying she should take Ice Cube's offer.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#286 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I think you've lost sigh of the world we live in.

I'm fully aware some people believe it and for some people its a big deal. I just don't think it has much of anything to do with why Ice Cube made the offer and I think they'd actually go semi easy on her so she could play. Which is a win win for her and for big 3 because she will bring viewership. Nothing to do with equality between the sexes in sports. Will some of those people then use that as proof that the gap between the sexes is very small? Probably but that's not relevant to why I'm saying she should take Ice Cube's offer.

You are missing my point completely.

Ice Cube wants her there because people will watch, which I think we all agree on!

It's NOT a win for her if she's as horrible as you'd expect a rail thin women who's physically not capable of playing in that league. It's a win to get the views. It might be a win if the fans of a woman's basketball player think women vs men is a joke....but I don't believe for a second this is reality. This is where we could agree to disagree. But...I think you're insane to believe that there isn't a huge subset if not majority set of her fans who think she could compete with men. And that's the issue here.

And as for money...it's just better for her to be the "dream of little girls" to sell shoes. It's just a better long term marketing deal given she's making already a 4 million a year marketing ad. An extra 5 mil to look stupid doesn't make sense.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,168

Post#287 » by Pelon chingon » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 pm

Homgirl needs to take that bread. The WNBA is going to be there as long as the NBA keeps funding it. She can make her own way instead of messing with a league that is a proven failure.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#288 » by xdrta+ » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:I think you're insane to believe that there isn't a huge subset if not majority set of her fans who think she could compete with men. And that's the issue here.

Depends what you mean by men. The NBA? I doubt if one in a million of her fans thinks she could compete in the NBA. Fat old guys waddling around the court? Yeah, probably a lot of people think she could compete with them. But you seem irrationally invested in the conviction that she'll be destroyed in the Big 3. If she is, so what? And if she stars in that gimmick league, it will still be the case that hardly anyone thinks she could do the same in the NBA.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#289 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

Ice Cube wants her there because people will watch, which I think we all agree on!

It's NOT a win for her if she's as horrible as you'd expect a rail thin women who's physically not capable of playing in that league. It's a win to get the views. It might be a win if the fans of a woman's basketball player think women vs men is a joke....but I don't believe for a second this is reality. This is where we could agree to disagree. But...I think you're insane to believe that there isn't a huge subset if not majority set of her fans who think she could compete with men. And that's the issue here.

And as for money...it's just better for her to be the "dream of little girls" to sell shoes. It's just a better long term marketing deal given she's making already a 4 million a year marketing ad. An extra 5 mil to look stupid doesn't make sense.

Dude.. I am not missing your point at all. I just don't agree with you that she'll actually fail that hard or that it would be that bad for her if she did. You aren't willing to acknowledge that there could be any upside to her doing it but that's fine. I'm ready to stop discussing it now.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#290 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I think you're insane to believe that there isn't a huge subset if not majority set of her fans who think she could compete with men. And that's the issue here.

Depends what you mean by men. The NBA? I doubt if one in a million of her fans thinks she could compete in the NBA. Fat old guys waddling around the court? Yeah, probably a lot of people think she could compete with them. But you seem irrationally invested in the conviction that she'll be destroyed in the Big 3. If she is, so what? And if she stars in that gimmick league, it will still be the case that hardly anyone thinks she could do the same in the NBA.

Her market are men and women who don't get reality. What's confusing?
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#291 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Dude.. I am not missing your point at all. I just don't agree with you that she'll actually fail that hard or that it would be that bad for her if she did. You aren't willing to acknowledge that there could be any upside to her doing it but that's fine. I'm ready to stop discussing it now.

OK so you're wrong. You think an 8th grader could play vs nba players effectively.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#292 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
OK so you're wrong. You think an 8th grader could play vs nba players effectively.

I'm not sure why you'd use such a ridiculous straw man while also throwing out all context I already tried to convey in previous posts but w/e. You seem so desperate to make this point re female bb players vs retired nba players that I don't think you see the forest for the trees. She'd be making something like 50x what the average big 3 player makes. Do you think Ice cube is paying her that so she can barely play? Her skill level is also likely way higher than that of even the best 8th grade prospects. So its more a question of how to fit her into a team so she can actually use her skills. Not do their best to prove the point that she can't hack it with ex nba players. I mean maybe it would go that way but I don't think it would. I think a. these guys aren't putting that much effort into defense b. she'd be able to get some shoots off and play some minutes without it seeming that ridiculous c. they'd probably go slightly easy on her because they understand that a lot of people would be buying tickets or watching just to see her play. So that's what I've been trying to say here all along though if you still want to make it into something else that's your prerogative. Which would only make her into a bigger star then she already is and she'd only need to do it for one summer.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#293 » by xdrta+ » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Her market are men and women who don't get reality. What's confusing?

Yeah, you've kind of gone off the rails now. She'll most likely turn it down, anyway, more's the pity.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,025

Post#294 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 pm

Mephariel wrote:I doubt she will care about this because BIG 3 League is a clown show. The Nicole Kidman analogy is dumb, but a better one would be if Sri Lanka offer Kidman $50 million to do a movie with the worst special effects ever. Her agent probably wouldn't even tell her about the offer.
The WNBA is viewed as a clown show too by many people.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,368

Post#295 » by D.Brasco » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 am

HMFFL wrote:
Mephariel wrote:I doubt she will care about this because BIG 3 League is a clown show. The Nicole Kidman analogy is dumb, but a better one would be if Sri Lanka offer Kidman $50 million to do a movie with the worst special effects ever. Her agent probably wouldn't even tell her about the offer.

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,595

Post#296 » by JayMKE » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:29 am

$75k WNBA salary is a joke, women’s sports isn’t at the point you can turn down $5m you gotta secure the bag for everyone
FREE GIANNIS
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,569

Post#297 » by sikma42 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:38 am

JayMKE wrote:$75k WNBA salary is a joke, women’s sports isn’t at the point you can turn down $5m you gotta secure the bag for everyone

Yea that’s not even a liveable salary in nyc w a family.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Mephariel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,651

Post#298 » by Mephariel » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:28 am

HMFFL wrote:

But it is not. The WNBA is real organized basketball with the best female players.

Sent from my SM-S908U using RealGM mobile app
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#299 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:19 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd use such a ridiculous straw man while also throwing out all context I already tried to convey in previous posts but w/e. You seem so desperate to make this point re female bb players vs retired nba players that I don't think you see the forest for the trees. She'd be making something like 50x what the average big 3 player makes. Do you think Ice cube is paying her that so she can barely play? Her skill level is also likely way higher than that of even the best 8th grade prospects. So its more a question of how to fit her into a team so she can actually use her skills. Not do their best to prove the point that she can't hack it with ex nba players. I mean maybe it would go that way but I don't think it would. I think a. these guys aren't putting that much effort into defense b. she'd be able to get some shoots off and play some minutes without it seeming that ridiculous c. they'd probably go slightly easy on her because they understand that a lot of people would be buying tickets or watching just to see her play. So that's what I've been trying to say here all along though if you still want to make it into something else that's your prerogative. Which would only make her into a bigger star then she already is and she'd only need to do it for one summer.

I don't have any issue with WHY they'd pay her more. She's a huge draw. I get that 100%. And if these guys for some reason take it easy, maybe? But the reality is the big 3 is a sloppy league with guys getting overly physical. It's not just bad, it's terrible for a woman to compete in. Even if we ignored that she's not remotely strong or fast enough to compete.

It would 100% be worth it for the views for the big 3. But it would do far more to hurt women's basketball as those people watching would see her just getting...to say it lightly. Man handled.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#300 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:23 am

sikma42 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:$75k WNBA salary is a joke, women’s sports isn’t at the point you can turn down $5m you gotta secure the bag for everyone

Yea that’s not even a liveable salary in nyc w a family.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I'll never get this stuff. OK you cant have a FAMILY on 75k in NYC. Cool, most of the rich and the poor who work in NYC don't live there. 75k is a lot of money for anyone in their 20's just about anywhere in the country. That's far more than minor league baseball makes for example. And we got multiple levels of guys playing that for legit not enough to for a single person to fully live on!

Return to The General Board