OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,503

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#101 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:24 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:This honestly sounds like a good deal for her.

The WNBA is just not very popular. Sure she goes to her dream league growing up, but do we really think people are going to start watching WNBA games because of Clark?

She makes more money in the Big 3 while also having better travel. The WNBA has shown us they don't really care about their players from the travel to the hotels it's all a joke for a professional athlete.

Clark please take this offer and don't think twice about it! She could be the face of that league and grow it bigger than the WNBA. Hell maybe she opens up opportunities for women coming out of college. They could totally become more popular than the WNBA.

I disagree. If there is anyone right now who can draw attention to the WNBA and get people to tune in, its Caitlin Clark. Personally speaking, if I know Caitlin Clark will be playing in town, I will buy a ticket just to watch her play. I can't say that for anybody else in the WNBA.

The problem with Clark playing in the Big-3 league is that I think she would look like a scrub there against men. That is not a good look for the WNBA and make it even a bigger laughing stock. For the sake of the WNBA, I hope she does not sign.
I say this with all due respect I don't even think she's the best player in college basketball. Juju from USC looks like a better pro prospect . Clark will be great don't get me wrong, but the WNBA has never been popular. To think Clark is going to change that after so many great players over the years couldn't do it.

Its why I think she has a better chance at making a impact in another league. She can be the face of the big 3. That league has been around, but it's never had a face of their brand. Clark could really turn that into something special with her marketability. Like I said she gets more money and better travel. For all we know the current WNBA players might join her down the line. I'm just looking at the WNBA and how the league is so cheap.

Clark going to the WNBA is kind of a low class move. Change the culture go start your own path. Be the face of the big 3. Women will join her down the line. By then she probably has ownership stake in the franchise.

Just my opinion.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,347

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIg 3 League 

Post#102 » by Scalabrine » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:25 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:This is more money than she'd make from her salary throughout her entire WNBA career (more or less). Her endorsements would take a big hit though, and the novelty of her playing against men in the Big 3 league would wear off after at most a year. WNBA is the better career path for her.

It's only 10 games. She could probably do it for one year then go to the W.
Go Knicks!
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,594

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#103 » by JayMKE » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:41 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Battle of the sexes is one of the biggest marketing tropes there is and the only risk is for the guys to get embarrassed, its a win-win for female athletes even if they get smoked since it speaks to their courage and perseverance. They are ex NBA players who are way bigger than her not some high school team but real pros, if she shows she can hang it would be defining moment in women’s & American sports in general. If not, who cares? At least she tried and should be respected for it.

Its bonkers some of you guys are like don’t do it, the WNBA is not the equivalent to the NBA and something like this grows the game which indirectly will boost the WNBA too.

I disagree. I think it has disaster potential for the WNBA. She would not be able to hang in the BIG3 and it would finally put a cap on the “could a woman play in the NBA” argument. Currently there is an air of mystery about a woman playing in the NBA and it spawns arguments and interest on both sides. If she plays and get destroyed (I’d wager she would do very poorly) it closes the door on the argument and makes the WNBA look really bad by association. It hurts a league that to many already looks like a joke and only exists because the NBA subsidizes it. If she failed people would not forget and I’d have the odds of her failing miserably 10x more likely than her succeeding.

Its not a mystery to anyone besides the most naive that she’d be at a severe disadvantage against professional male players but Americans love underdog stories, other than the obvious windfall this would probably be the biggest promotion of the WNBA ever. WNBA needs all the eyes on it that it can get, it doesn’t have the infrastructure of the NBA and a promotion like this will be a huge benefit to it. There is historical precedence to this in American sports, this will open doors for other women and increase the paychecks for everyone. Women players literally get paid more in the ex Soviet bloc than they do in the US, that avenue for women largely got shut down with the war in Ukraine so something else needs to take its place.
FREE GIANNIS
Goomba3666
Veteran
And1: 3,315

Post#104 » by Goomba3666 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:46 pm

OdomFan wrote:Ice Cube should just make a deal with the whole WNBA. promote the hell out of it, lower the rims. Put a whole new spin on Womens basketball with talent like Caitlin Clark as the poster of it all.

This would be smart and would put a LOT of eyes on talented women who play basketball.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,598

Post#105 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:This honestly sounds like a good deal for her.

The WNBA is just not very popular. Sure she goes to her dream league growing up, but do we really think people are going to start watching WNBA games because of Clark?

She makes more money in the Big 3 while also having better travel. The WNBA has shown us they don't really care about their players from the travel to the hotels it's all a joke for a professional athlete.

Clark please take this offer and don't think twice about it! She could be the face of that league and grow it bigger than the WNBA. Hell maybe she opens up opportunities for women coming out of college. They could totally become more popular than the WNBA.

I disagree. If there is anyone right now who can draw attention to the WNBA and get people to tune in, its Caitlin Clark. Personally speaking, if I know Caitlin Clark will be playing in town, I will buy a ticket just to watch her play. I can't say that for anybody else in the WNBA.

The problem with Clark playing in the Big-3 league is that I think she would look like a scrub there against men. That is not a good look for the WNBA and make it even a bigger laughing stock. For the sake of the WNBA, I hope she does not sign.
I say this with all due respect I don't even think she's the best player in college basketball. Juju from USC looks like a better pro prospect . Clark will be great don't get me wrong, but the WNBA has never been popular. To think Clark is going to change that after so many great players over the years couldn't do it.

Its why I think she has a better chance at making a impact in another league. She can be the face of the big 3. That league has been around, but it's never had a face of their brand. Clark could really turn that into something special with her marketability. Like I said she gets more money and better travel. For all we know the current WNBA players might join her down the line. I'm just looking at the WNBA and how the league is so cheap.

Clark going to the WNBA is kind of a low class move. Change the culture go start your own path. Be the face of the big 3. Women will join her down the line. By then she probably has ownership stake in the franchise.

Just my opinion.

Whether or not she is the best woman player is irrelevant. She is the only player people tune in for. Truth is, there is no way she can hang with male players in the big-3. People like to tune in and watch Clark do Steph Curry-lite things. She would look like a scrub in the big-3 league. How is that going to help her marketability, and most importantly how would that impact people's views on women's basketball?
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#106 » by phanman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:58 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Battle of the sexes is one of the biggest marketing tropes there is and the only risk is for the guys to get embarrassed, its a win-win for female athletes even if they get smoked since it speaks to their courage and perseverance. They are ex NBA players who are way bigger than her not some high school team but real pros, if she shows she can hang it would be defining moment in women’s & American sports in general. If not, who cares? At least she tried and should be respected for it.

Its bonkers some of you guys are like don’t do it, the WNBA is not the equivalent to the NBA and something like this grows the game which indirectly will boost the WNBA too.

I disagree. I think it has disaster potential for the WNBA. She would not be able to hang in the BIG3 and it would finally put a cap on the “could a woman play in the NBA” argument. Currently there is an air of mystery about a woman playing in the NBA and it spawns arguments and interest on both sides. If she plays and get destroyed (I’d wager she would do very poorly) it closes the door on the argument and makes the WNBA look really bad by association. It hurts a league that to many already looks like a joke and only exists because the NBA subsidizes it. If she failed people would not forget and I’d have the odds of her failing miserably 10x more likely than her succeeding.

Disaster how?
- The majority of people already universally agree that WNBA players can't hang with NBA players due to their physical limitations. Just look at the simple fact that the best player in A'ja Wilson is only 6'4 but dominating the center position. For context, Pat Connaughton has the same measurements at 6'4 with a 6'8 wingspan and he is primarily a guard in the NBA.

If she fails against the older, overseas and fringe NBA players that make-up the Big 3, than it just reinforces what we everybody knew all along. If she struggles, nobody will really care as long as she is still dominating on the other side. A 6ft, she has decent size to be competitive out there, and its not like these guys are going to go out of their way to punish her with post-ups every possession. Remember the Big 3 is in a half court setting, so her skill-set is much more conducive to thrive in that type of environment, instead of in the open court where her physical limitations are more glaring.

I also disagree with the notion that the WNBA is a joke league. They are currently in the best position of their existence as a whole and are most likely opting out of their CBA at the end of this season to renegotiate.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,503

Post#107 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:

Just my opinion.

Whether or not she is the best woman player is irrelevant. She is the only player people tune in for. Truth is, there is no way she can hang with male players in the big-3. People like to tune in and watch Clark do Steph Curry-lite things. She would look like a scrub in the big-3 league. How is that going to help her marketability, and most importantly how would that impact people's views on women's basketball?
The big 3 is more about shot making. They have a point system for different areas on the court. It's not a real competitive league. It's more for the kids. She can shoot from distance that's all that matters.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#108 » by King4Day » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 pm

She def should accept.
Small number of games. Heavy payday. Then jump to the WNBA. Unless they keep paying her...
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Post#109 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:21 pm

She should do it
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,708

Post#110 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Lowering the rim instantly discredits any league.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Well the wnba is losing money every year and is subsidized by the nba.

Wnba players are already using smaller balls so its not the same game anyway. If there were more dunks due to lowered rims, I bet viewership would go up.

At any rate its not like they are doing well currently anyway....

Lowering the rim IMO, is just basically giving up. Like, I shared many times that I have depression, and my psychiatrist sometimes say that I should get a dog or cat, but I feel, if I do that - that is just giving up. So yeah, lowering the rim, is an equivalent of lonely person getting a cat, I do not like the idea.

Also, WNBA is just not NBA. WNBA as mentioned, probably not even the most prestigious league in Womens basketball, it probably has some prestige because it borrows NBA's IP, but thats it, all the women players also play in foreign leagues, so will they just play 10 foot rim basketball for 7 months, but then gather to play WNBA 0n 8 foot rims for those two months? WNBA already suck as it is, it would be just nail in the coffin, I do not think many people would take it more seriously if they do that.

Cats taking strays!

Spoiler:
But seriously, hard disagree there, unless it's just a cultural thing. Over here in the States it seems like every single person has a pet if they can afford it and their landlord is cool with it. Definitely zero stigma around it.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#111 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:35 pm

It's probably not worth it long term for her image/brand. She's going to continue to get good endorsement deals. This has sideshow vibes and we know how **** people can be when it comes to women in sports.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#112 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:36 pm

ConSarnit wrote:

There's no mystery about whether a woman could play in the NBA, lol.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#113 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:41 pm

I'm curious about how the larger ball would affect her shooting, if at all.

Or, would the magnets take care of this?
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#114 » by jc23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 pm

many players play over seas after the wnba season; if the seasons dont overlap she can do both.
Be curious, Not judgmental
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#115 » by RRyder823 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:22 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
phanman wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:There's no chance in hell she's taking that lol. Big3 is a dumb gimmick. She's not going to lower her brand value by doing that crap.

Maybe if they offered her $50M but yeah...$5M is chump change for her

I'm sorry, how the hell is 5m chump change for her? She isn't some sort of mega earning professional athlete or business professional. 5m isn't even chump change to someone like LeBron. For context:
It's the first year of the two-year, $97.1 million contract extension he signed with the Lakers last year. He has a player option for the 2024-25 NBA season worth $51,415,938. There are 82 games in the regular season, so James makes $580,577.44 per game

5mil for a maximum 10 games = 500k/game. It would put her on an earning scale similar to the superstars of the league today.

Well, she is arguably the most popular current athlete in the United States
. I'd be surprised if she takes $5M to play in a gimmick league. It's like PornHub paying Nicole Kidman $20M for a porno...I just doubt she takes it.

People really don't think about what they typed before they hit that "post" button do they?

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#116 » by phanman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:28 pm

scrabbarista wrote:I'm curious about how the larger ball would affect her shooting, if at all.

This has always irked me. Why the hell do they play with a smaller ball? WNBA athletes are still bigger/taller than the average person. Why the hell do Woman need to play with a ball that is only 1 inch smaller.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#117 » by D.Brasco » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:39 pm

phanman wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:I'm curious about how the larger ball would affect her shooting, if at all.

This has always irked me. Why the hell do they play with a smaller ball? WNBA athletes are still bigger/taller than the average person. Why the hell do Woman need to play with a ball that is only 1 inch smaller.

For people who just see her in pictures and short clips they may not even realize she's actually 6'. Isaiah Thomas was able to average almost 29 ppg with his 5'8" hands a few years back.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#118 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:46 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
phanman wrote:

For people who just see her in pictures and short clips they may not even realize she's actually 6'. Isaiah Thomas was able to average almost 29 ppg with his 5'8" hands a few years back.

IT has giant hands, but 5'8" is a stretch. That's the size of a whole person.
payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,245

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIg 3 League 

Post#119 » by payton2kemp » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:53 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:This is more money than she'd make from her salary throughout her entire WNBA career (more or less). Her endorsements would take a big hit though, and the novelty of her playing against men in the Big 3 league would wear off after at most a year. WNBA is the better career path for her.

It's only 10 games. She could probably do it for one year then go to the W.

She could do both the WNBA and Big three. No reason she cant play both games probably as long as its not the exact same schedule.
BlueHeat
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,619

Post#120 » by BlueHeat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 am

nikster wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Lowering the rim instantly discredits any league.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Well the wnba is losing money every year and is subsidized by the nba.

Wnba players are already using smaller balls so its not the same game anyway. If there were more dunks due to lowered rims, I bet viewership would go up.

At any rate its not like they are doing well currently anyway....

Yeah smaller ball and shorter 3 point line already. Not sure why shorter rims would be such a big deal. Would require drastic changes to women's league development tho, probably not easy for shooters to adjust right away etc...

Lowering the rims is a no brainer. Women are shorter than men. Why do they play with disproportionately higher rims? If you reframe it, the men have a relative advantage compared to the women.

Return to The General Board