OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,289

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#61 » by MrGoat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:45 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:I think it's more of a risk than it seems at first glance, but could also be a big reward.

Right now Clark is on pace to be the GOAT women's basketball player, at least in the public's opinion. It is universally acknowledged she's really good. If she goes to BIG 3 and gets smoked by some fringe NBA guys it will not be a great look and potentially hurt her mystique. On the other hand if she hangs in there and excels, even if it's only against fringe NBA talent, it would be a major feather in her cap and boost the hype even further.

Major risk/reward.

Does BIG3 actually have ''fringe NBA guys'' though? In real basketball, of course fringe NBA guy would smoke Caitlin Clark, I mean obviously, but I doubt BIG3 has those guys, or do they?

I wonder how much impact her actual play do, if men beat on her on court, would it really hurt that much? Personally I do not think so, I am not under impression Caitlin Clark is as good as ''fringe NBA guys'', so I would never expect her to dominate these type of players, I wonder how the move itself would just be perceived, I imagine that would have bigger impact on her actual brand. Some people think BIG3 is cool, but some see it as a joke...

They actually have some pretty decent names, but they're old. I look at the current rosters and I'm seeing blasts from the past like Tony Allen, Rashard Lewis, Joe Johnson, Reggie Evans, Leandro Barbosa (also an assistant coach with the Kings), 48 year old Cuttino Mobley, and the name I was most surprised to see of all, Larry Sanders. Way lower injury risk because the average age of the league is so high they don't play nearly as fast and reckless as in the NBA.

If Clark did this it actually might open an avenue for retired women's players to give the big 3 a chance. They'd probably make an extra effort to try to get her open shots, she'd be a huge defensive liability but just hitting a few open shots would be enough for good PR
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#62 » by UcanUwill » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:47 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:I think it's more of a risk than it seems at first glance, but could also be a big reward.

Right now Clark is on pace to be the GOAT women's basketball player, at least in the public's opinion. It is universally acknowledged she's really good. If she goes to BIG 3 and gets smoked by some fringe NBA guys it will not be a great look and potentially hurt her mystique. On the other hand if she hangs in there and excels, even if it's only against fringe NBA talent, it would be a major feather in her cap and boost the hype even further.

Major risk/reward.

Does BIG3 actually have ''fringe NBA guys'' though? In real basketball, of course fringe NBA guy would smoke Caitlin Clark, I mean obviously, but I doubt BIG3 has those guys, or do they?

I wonder how much impact her actual play do, if men beat on her on court, would it really hurt that much? Personally I do not think so, I am not under impression Caitlin Clark is as good as ''fringe NBA guys'', so I would never expect her to dominate these type of players, I wonder how the move itself would just be perceived, I imagine that would have bigger impact on her actual brand. Some people think BIG3 is cool, but some see it as a joke...

Honestly I've never seen BIG 3, I just assumed it was NBA washouts.

I agree that informed observers would already realize Clark can't hang with G-Leaguers, but I think the general public doesn't realize that. Or the detractors would just use it as a wedge to unjustly undermine her accomplishments in her own division.

I don't even mean it as an insult, but I'm not sure the WNBA brand has more credibility than BIG 3 so that didn't cross my mind.

I do not think general public thinks that at all. Personally, I do not know people who really even flirted with idea that women can actually compete with men in basketball, at top levels I mean. And I am not trying to insult anyone, but they can't, that is just how it is. Over the years, Interned always had takes claiming otherwise, but that is not a general public opinion, Internet is full of stupid takes that in reality is nowhere close to being popular enough to explore. I think the move itself could be more damning, because as you said, not sure what credibility BIG3 has, but I imagine, for athlete who has aspirations to be GOAT in a sport, then to join this, a sport that is just a branch and isn't perceived as anything else but just fast food gimmick, thats the worriesome part IMO.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#63 » by UcanUwill » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:50 pm

MrGoat wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Major risk/reward.

They actually have some pretty decent names, but they're old. I look at the current rosters and I'm seeing blasts from the past like Tony Allen, Rashard Lewis, Joe Johnson, Reggie Evans, Leandro Barbosa (also an assistant coach with the Kings), 48 year old Cuttino Mobley, and the name I was most surprised to see of all, Larry Sanders. Way lower injury risk because the average age of the league is so high they don't play nearly as fast and reckless as in the NBA.

If Clark did this it actually might open an avenue for retired women's players to give the big 3 a chance.

Yes, you reminded me of that. Cuttino Mobley basically resurfaced just because of BIG3, I just remember him having crazy white hair at this point, but still being in great physical shape. It is probably an interesting watch in all honestly, would be interesting to see some of those match ups, I mean, If Clark needed to get a bucket against Larry Sanders, even bad version of Larry Sanders, that probably could be a sad watch, and that is the worriesome part, but overall, yeah, it would be interesting.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,741

Post#64 » by KembaWalker » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:52 pm

She wouldn’t be the worst player they’ve ever had. Allen Iverson was practically immobile in the big 3. It was honestly depressing to watch. Caitlin Clark would have absolutely cooked him
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,368

Post#65 » by Ambrose » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:58 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Honestly I've never seen BIG 3, I just assumed it was NBA washouts.

I agree that informed observers would already realize Clark can't hang with G-Leaguers, but I think the general public doesn't realize that. Or the detractors would just use it as a wedge to unjustly undermine her accomplishments in her own division.

I don't even mean it as an insult, but I'm not sure the WNBA brand has more credibility than BIG 3 so that didn't cross my mind.

I do not think general public thinks that at all. Personally, I do not know people who really even flirted with idea that women can actually compete with men in basketball, at top levels I mean. And I am not trying to insult anyone, but they can't, that is just how it is. Over the years, Interned always had takes claiming otherwise, but that is not a general public opinion, Internet is full of stupid takes that in reality is nowhere close to being popular enough to explore. I think the move itself could be more damning, because as you said, not sure what credibility BIG3 has, but I imagine, for athlete who has aspirations to be GOAT in a sport, then to join this, a sport that is just a branch and isn't perceived as anything else but just fast food gimmick, thats the worriesome part IMO.

People in this thread do, and the general public are even less aware.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#66 » by sikma42 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:03 pm

Would need to be 10 times more to even make sense

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,864

Post#67 » by DirtybirdGA » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:06 pm

I wondered why he was trending, but didn't click on his name.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,358

Post#68 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:08 pm

Man those 8 games would be must-watch tv for me.
She won't do it, but I hope she does. Would be fun as hell.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,553

Post#69 » by azcatz11 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:09 pm

sikma42 wrote:Would need to be 10 times more to even make sense

Exactly
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,318

Post#70 » by rapstarter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:16 pm

I would watch, but the risk seems high not just for her but for women's basketball.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,660

Post#71 » by PlatinumState » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:20 pm

I wanna know how does Ice Cube have 5 million to offer and how he intends to actually make that money back? As far as I know all those retired nba players played for peanuts in his league (around 100K)
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,894

Post#72 » by theforumblue » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:21 pm

internet says she makes 3million from endorsement deals. not sure she'll make more in pros or not, exposure is definitely lower. but 5mil all of a sudden doesnt look quite life-changing.

what her sponsors have to say will weigh big i think.
screw these absolute garbage refs
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#73 » by sikma42 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:24 pm

PlatinumState wrote:I wanna know how does Ice Cube have 5 million to offer and how he intends to actually make that money back? As far as I know all those retired nba players played for peanuts in his league (around 100K)

If he doesn’t have 5 million to offer than something is wrong. He should have investor money, lines of credit, advertising etc. CC’s popularity would bring astronomical levels of attention but it would never happen and especially not for these peanuts.

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Post#74 » by Profound23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:29 pm

10 games for 5 mil, do it for a year. If they offer another 5 mil per 10 games then take it, if not then you can go to the WNBA.

Or use this to leverage and force the WNBA and endorsements to pay you more.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,111

Post#75 » by art_tatum » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:30 pm

Why not throw her name in the nba draft or workouts . I'm sure some team would take her instead of some 15th bench scrub. Marketing + she can shoot in limited minutes or blowouts. Especially at a time where perimeter 1 on 1 D is at a all time low so Clark getting targeted won't be too bad on limited mins
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#76 » by Optms » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:30 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:This honestly sounds like a good deal for her.

The WNBA is just not very popular. Sure she goes to her dream league growing up, but do we really think people are going to start watching WNBA games because of Clark?

Not for me. As an outsider, I'm not touching that league even with her in it.

I would tune in to see her in the big 3 though. That would make me more inclined to start following her. But yeah no, I know of her because of the hype. Still didn't touch her college games. Won't change when she's in the wnba.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Post#77 » by Profound23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 pm

PlatinumState wrote:I wanna know how does Ice Cube have 5 million to offer and how he intends to actually make that money back? As far as I know all those retired nba players played for peanuts in his league (around 100K)

Ice Cube is worth about 160 mil.

He would make the money back by gaining more viewers, fans, and receiving more exposure making the Big three more of an antagonist to the NBA/WNBA and forcing them to buy him out with a substantial amount of money.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#78 » by MrGoat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:33 pm

KembaWalker wrote:She wouldn’t be the worst player they’ve ever had. Allen Iverson was practically immobile in the big 3. It was honestly depressing to watch. Caitlin Clark would have absolutely cooked him

Getting AI was supposed to be the big get for the Big 3's first season. He was so cooked. And he even no showed the team one week which was really tasteless because there paying fans at that game who were largely there to see him.

The Big 3 has spots on the court that count as 4 point shots. They're extra deep and at difficult angles. Probably the best way to use her would just be to put her in and let her bomb away a few 4 pointers because the defense probably wouldn't even bother to defend her unless she made more than 1, and by that time she and the big 3 league would have her highlights anyway.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,684

Post#79 » by shrink » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:35 pm

ON3 estimates that Caitlin Clark’s 11 known NIL deals are worth a total of $3.1 million. She is ranked #1 in women’s college basketball and ranks fourth overall. Meanwhile, the base pay for rookies chosen in the top four overall picks of the 2024 Women’s National Basketball Association draft is $76,535 for their first professional season. Though, she is expected to keep a large amount of her sponsorship deals when she joins the WNBA.

WNBA would hate her when she got there though, since they want her popularity to expand the game (and paychecks) now.

(Edit: I didn’t know she could do both. Thanks for the head’s up!)
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,368

Post#80 » by Ambrose » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:52 pm

shrink wrote:
ON3 estimates that Caitlin Clark’s 11 known NIL deals are worth a total of $3.1 million. She is ranked #1 in women’s college basketball and ranks fourth overall. Meanwhile, the base pay for rookies chosen in the top four overall picks of the 2024 Women’s National Basketball Association draft is $76,535 for their first professional season. Though, she is expected to keep a large amount of her sponsorship deals when she joins the WNBA.

WNBA would hate her when she got there though, since they want her popularity to expand the game (and paychecks) now.

Being in the Big 3 would not keep her from joining the WNBA right away.

Return to The General Board