OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#1 » by D.Brasco » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 pm

Read on Twitter

This would be the most money ever offered to a female basketball player coming out of college, 5 million for one season. WNBA contract would not anywhere match this.
Sources with direct knowledge of the deal tell us Cube's up and coming basketball league has already put the unprecedented offer on the table for Caitlin -- $5 million to play 8 regular season games and possibly 2 playoff games! That's it ... 10 games for $5 mil, guarantee
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIg 3 League 

Post#2 » by Statlanta » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 pm

Is this the equivalent of the Globetrotters asking Chamberlain to play for them?
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,011

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIg 3 League 

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:59 pm

Wise move by Ice Cube but I doubt she accepts.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#4 » by Pantsman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:00 pm

Just one year? It would take her like 10 years to make that in the wnba.
holdenwait
Sixth Man
And1: 1,728

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#5 » by holdenwait » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:03 pm

TIL there's a 3-on-3 basketball league co-founded by Ice Cube! lol
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,482

Post#6 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:03 pm

This is more money than she'd make from her salary throughout her entire WNBA career (more or less). Her endorsements would take a big hit though, and the novelty of her playing against men in the Big 3 league would wear off after at most a year. WNBA is the better career path for her.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,744

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#7 » by KembaWalker » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:08 pm

Could she not do this and WNBA? I thought they all do multiple leagues
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,802

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:08 pm

Does sound like a juvenile career path from first glance, and maybe it is, but knowing in how bad a shape WNBA is, it brings at least a moment of reflect and thought what to do. I mean, if she serious about her place in history of the sport and all, she will play professional women basketball as it is, but this is a bit interesting.

How much money does Ice Cube have anyway? I get that 5 Mil. is probably not that much to him, but I could not imagine him being so successful to a point he is signing PRO athletes for yearly multi million dollar contracts...
djw
Junior
And1: 605

Post#9 » by djw » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:08 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:This is more money than she'd make from her salary throughout her entire WNBA career (more or less). Her endorsements would take a big hit though, and the novelty of her playing against men in the Big 3 league would wear off after at most a year. WNBA is the better career path for her.

Maybe, but what prevents her from doing one and then the other. She can still pursue her WNBA career after cashing in the check from the Big3.
D.Brasco
General Manager

Post#10 » by D.Brasco » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:11 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Does sound like a juvenile career path from first glance, and maybe it is, but knowing in how bad a shape WNBA is, it brings at least a moment of reflect and thought what to do. I mean, if she serious about her place in history of the sport and all, she will play professional women basketball as it is, but this is a bit interesting.

How much money does Ice Cube have anyway? I get that 5 Mil. is probably not that much to him, but I could not imagine him being so successful to a point he is signing PRO athletes for year multi million dollar contracts...

It'll all come from investors and sponsors. 5 mil is a drop in the bucket to what signing one of the biggest names in basketball (almost biggest atm?) would do for an upstart league.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Post#11 » by OdomFan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Ice Cube should just make a deal with the whole WNBA. promote the hell out of it, lower the rims. Put a whole new spin on Womens basketball with talent like Caitlin Clark as the poster of it all.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,482

Post#12 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 pm

djw wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:This is more money than she'd make from her salary throughout her entire WNBA career (more or less). Her endorsements would take a big hit though, and the novelty of her playing against men in the Big 3 league would wear off after at most a year. WNBA is the better career path for her.

Maybe, but what prevents her from doing one and then the other. She can still pursue her WNBA career after cashing in the check from the Big3.

She'd lose a lot of respect among both her fans and her peers. Caitlin Clark is universally loved right now and doing something to ruin that doesn't seem like a wise move to me.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#13 » by phanman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:15 pm

HMFFL wrote:Wise move by Ice Cube but I doubt she accepts.

Reading the article, honestly I don't see why she wouldn't accept it. It really seems like a win-win situation.
We're told she would also get "substantial additional compensation" from merchandising and sponsorships -- but here's the biggest rub to the deal ... Big3 would allow her to also play in the WNBA.

Indiana Fever have made it clear they're picking Caitlin with their #1 pick. There are only 2 regular season Fever games that could potentially conflict with the BIG3 schedule -- so, we're told Cube's league sees this as a win-win-win situation for both leagues, and obviously, Caitlin.

The mere fact that the highest paid WNBA player is journeywoman 1x All Star named Erica Wheeler at 240k should make this decision easy.
Dthrill55
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#14 » by Dthrill55 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:15 pm

If it is for 1 year, she should absolutely do it and enter the WNBA Draft a year later.

Get your money and the BIG 3 season isn't even long
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,744

Post#15 » by KembaWalker » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:16 pm

If she was prioritizing money she would have stayed in college another year
D.Brasco
General Manager

Post#16 » by D.Brasco » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:18 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
djw wrote:

She'd lose a lot of respect among both her fans and her peers. Caitlin Clark is universally loved right now and doing something to ruin that doesn't seem like a wise move to me.

Man, not saying you're wrong but I wouldn't personally judge a 22 year college student for taking an offer of 5 million.

The majority of the WNBA has/had to play in places like Russia and China to make ends meet, respect only pays so much.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,221

Post#17 » by lambchop » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:19 pm

Big 3 is known for signing players with unique backgrounds. They also had Dusan Bulut play there.

She should take the deal and just enter the WNBA a year later.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#18 » by Effigy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:21 pm

She should take it. WNBA isn't going anywhere. Get $5 million then go to the league (assuming she can't do both)
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,011

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:21 pm

OdomFan wrote:Ice Cube should just make a deal with the whole WNBA. promote the hell out of it, lower the rims. Put a whole new spin on Womens basketball with talent like Caitlin Clark as the poster of it all.
Lowering the rim instantly discredits any league.

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,802

Post#20 » by UcanUwill » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:23 pm

Dthrill55 wrote:If it is for 1 year, she should absolutely do it and enter the WNBA Draft a year later.

Get your money and the BIG 3 season isn't even long

As been mentioned, and what I did not think myself prior, she probably can play in WNBA and in this, within same year, or no? Does she need to postpone her WNBA debut for this? As been mentioned, WNBA players play in other leagues anyway, since WNBA is so much of its own thing and takes place during offseason.

I wonder will Clark play overseas if anything, she probably will, or no? I am not sure if this is true, but I believe top Euro teams have bigger contracts compared to WNBA contracts anyway. Like, I believe Brittany Griner makes way more in Russia, than what she makes in Phoenix. WNBA in the end is just the brand recognition plus American thing, records and stuff, but overseas women's ball is probably a more serious sport anyway, right?

Return to The General Board