OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#221 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Hans1984 wrote:Noone would take her serious in the league(WNBA) if she did.

Just like no one took Wilt seriously after he went to the Globetrotters for a year. Oh, wait...

So, I'm with you that the "not taken seriously by the WNBA" isn't really a danger, but let's just be clear that the Big3 now is nothing like the Globetrotters.

The Globetrotters were the biggest cash cow in professional basketball, the Big3 has no such significance, and that's why they are trying to make this move.

Asking out of ignorance, but did the globetrotters ever make such massive offers to professional players? I guess they did if Wilt played with them for a year. Still 5 million for a female is pretty massive from any league, and the globetrotters have almost certainly never offered that for a female player before. I wonder if she does take it, how much money she could expect from the big3 in future seasons.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#222 » by D.Brasco » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Asking out of ignorance, but did the globetrotters ever make such massive offers to professional players? I guess they did if Wilt played with them for a year. Still 5 million for a female is pretty massive from any league, and the globetrotters have almost certainly never offered that for a female player before. I wonder if she does take it, how much money she could expect from the big3 in future seasons.

They gave Wilt a pretty big offer for the time at least, 50k for a season in 1958 which is the equivalent to over half a million today. Wilt only actually got 30k from the NBA in his eventual rookie year.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,613

Post#223 » by NBA4Lyfe » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

unpopular opinion but if caitlin clark never played lsu in the national championship lst szn. No one would know angel reese
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,569

Post#224 » by sikma42 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Lucky for her she has endorsements, but her fame won't last very long simply because the league she's going to nobody cares about. She will be remembered for her college career. All these people calling her the GOAT are victims of the moment. I will give her a year to ride out the hype. People will pay attention her first year in the WNBA. After that the hype is over.

I just don’t think she is as good as they are making her out to be as a women’s basketball player. But I do think women’s basketball is trending in the right direction and the wnba has a real opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 252

Post#225 » by Handlez » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

I think it ultimately hurts her brand if she does it and the men dominate her.

Would take away all the mystery.

Definitely not a good move.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,569

OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIG 3 League 

Post#226 » by sikma42 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

phanman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:1. The people tuning in to watch Clark in general are going to be people excited about Clark. If they watch her get humiliated, this may well dampen their enthusiasm.

2. Since not just Clark but everyone in the women's game is invested in the bubble of hype surrounding Clark, making her next move something that humiliates her seems like a guaranteed way to puncture the bubble.

I don't get the argument for her getting humiliated in the Big 3. She can definitely hang with that level of competition even if they are in fact men. You have to remember that it is strictly a half court game which places a higher emphasis on skills vs athleticism. There are plenty of female basketball players that can easily hang with men on the basketball court, c'mon guys, its 2024.

Your timeline is also off considering that the WNBA season officially begins on May 14. A full 10 days before the BIG 3 season kicks off. So she will have plenty of time from the draft to the start of the season to showcase her skillset in practices, pre-season games and roughly 5-6 regular season games too.
Doctor MJ wrote:3. There's already a great deal of resentment among female players for the opportunities Clark is getting, and accepting this will make it worse. You might think "Why does Clark care about that?", but realistically she's going to have to play with top women if she wants to have a long, successful career.

4. If you didn't realize, there's already a specific resentment against straight, white women in the WNBA. Kelsey Plum has talked about knowing all about this before she even got to the WNBA, and working really hard to prove that she wasn't an entitled diva. Clark has also already shown a pretty deft touch in not accepting special treatment - like when Jill Biden suggested "both teams should come to the White House!" after last year's NCAA finals which left many in the women's game thinking, "She wouldn't have said that if Clark wasn't white". (For the record, I don't think Biden had any ill intentions there...but I also don't think she'd have been as aware of Iowa if not for Clark, and wouldn't have been aware of Clark if she looked different. She was foolish, and Clark & Iowa would have been foolish to embrace he suggestion, but they didn't.)

This really doesn't matter. Like you stated, why would she care that her competition resents her for the opportunities that she has earned with her play? It's not like we're talking about a fringe all star here, this is arguably one of the best prospects to ever come out woman's basketball.

As an athlete, I don't think they even give a damn about how their opponents feel about them and good riddance. You don't have to be friendly with people who are jealous of your success. With her teammates I am sure everybody on the Indiana Fever team doesn't give a damn, they just care they they are getting Clark on their team.

Nah I think you are really off on that. CC would look really bad against any level of college plus comp. In a lot of ways she skilled enough and it would show pretty easily. I don’t think she’d be able to handle the ball or finish, let alone defense. Someone like Juju projects to play better with men dude to her handle, burst and body control.

I don’t know why we can’t just enjoy her as a women’s player. Their game is trending in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Post#227 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

NBA4Lyfe wrote:unpopular opinion but if caitlin clark never played lsu in the national championship lst szn. No one would know angel reese
I hope the two have some great matchups in the future.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#228 » by xdrta+ » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:29 am

D.Brasco wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Asking out of ignorance, but did the globetrotters ever make such massive offers to professional players? I guess they did if Wilt played with them for a year. Still 5 million for a female is pretty massive from any league, and the globetrotters have almost certainly never offered that for a female player before. I wonder if she does take it, how much money she could expect from the big3 in future seasons.

They gave Wilt a pretty big offer for the time at least, 50k for a season in 1958 which is the equivalent to over half a million today. Wilt only actually got 30k from the NBA in his eventual rookie year.

Abe Saperstein had a standing offer to him which would have been higher than his NBA salaries. Over the next decade he often played for the Globetrotters in the summers for tours in Europe. He said he enjoyed playing with the Globetrotters more than the NBA teams.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,093

Re: OT Ice Cube offers Caitlin Clark 5 million dollar contract to join BIg 3 League 

Post#229 » by axeman23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
She'd lose a lot of respect among both her fans and her peers. Caitlin Clark is universally loved right now and doing something to ruin that doesn't seem like a wise move to me.

No one loses respect for someone accepting 5 million dollars to play basketball. Anyone with half a brain would accept that.

She could easily do 1 year of the Big 3 and then be rich, and play the rest of her WNBA career after.

Well then I guess I have less than half a brain. I wouldn't think less of her for taking the money, but others might see her as a sell-out, right or wrong, and I'm sure some WNBA players would resent her for it.

A bunch of people who have taken money to play in countries in a "cold war" status with the NBA (be it China/Russia/BOTH!) would view her as a sell-out for playing in an alternate league WITHIN the US? Pot, meet kettle... :lol:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,715

Post#230 » by shrink » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 am

sikma42 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Lucky for her she has endorsements, but her fame won't last very long simply because the league she's going to nobody cares about. She will be remembered for her college career. All these people calling her the GOAT are victims of the moment. I will give her a year to ride out the hype. People will pay attention her first year in the WNBA. After that the hype is over.

I just don’t think she is as good as they are making her out to be as a women’s basketball player.

Below is a list of 90 (and counting) Caitlyn Clark awards, records and honors

Spoiler:
Senior year (2023-24)

Named preseason Big Ten Player of the Year

Unanimous AP preseason All-America selection

Became Iowa's all-time leading scorer

Achieved most 30-point games by any man or woman in Division I in the past 25 seasons

Shared The Sporting News Athlete of the Year honors with Angel Reese of LSU

Became Big Ten's all-time leader in assists

Became Iowa's all-time leader in assists

Broke Big Ten Player of the Week conference record

Broke Big Ten all-time scoring record

Became Division I women's career scoring leader

Broke Iowa's single-game scoring record

Became all-time leader in points among major women's college basketball players

Set Big Ten career record for 3-pointers

Set NCAA single-season record for 3-pointers

Became all-time NCAA Division I men's and women's scoring leader

Unanimous Big Ten Player of the Year

Named first-team All-Big Ten

Achieved most three-pointers in a single season by any male or female Division I player

Became the first Division I women's player to score at least 1,000 points in two different seasons

Became career leading scorer in the Big Ten tournament

Named Most Outstanding Player in Big Ten tournament

Junior year (2022-23)

Unanimous Associated Press preseason All-America team selection

Named Big Ten preseason Player of the Year

Became Big Ten career leader in triple-doubles

Tied Elena Delle Donne as the fastest Division I women's player to reach 2,000 career points

Won Most Outstanding Player in Big Ten tournament

Achieved first triple-double in Big Ten tournament final

Became first player in men's or women's NCAA tournament history to record a 30- or 40-point triple-double

Became first Division I player to record at least 900 points and 300 assists in a single season

Named Seattle 4 Regional most outstanding player

Broke single-game scoring record for NCAA women's tournament semifinals

Became first player in NCAA tournament history with consecutive 40-point games

Achieved Iowa program single-season scoring record

Achieved Big Ten single-season scoring record

Made most 3-pointers by a men's or women's player in NCAA title game history

Broke men's and women's scoring records for single NCAA tournament

Achieved most assists by single women's player in NCAA tournament history

Won AP Player of the Year

Won Honda Sports Award

Won John R. Wooden Award

Won Naismith Player of the Year

Won United States Basketball Writers Association National Player of the Year

Won Wade Trophy

First unanimous National Player of the Year in Big Ten history

Won second Nancy Lieberman Award

Became first three-time winner of Dawn Staley Award

Unanimous first-team All-America selection

First-team All-America selection by Associated Press

First-team All-America selection by United States Basketball Writers Association

Women's Basketball Coaches Association Coaches' All-America Team selection

Led Division I in assists

Set Big Ten single-season records in points, assists, 3-pointers and free throws

Tied her own triple-double conference record

Won Best Female College Athlete ESPYS Award

Won Honda Cup

Won James E. Sullivan Award

Won Big Ten Female Athlete of the Year

Sophomore year (2021-22)

Broke Carver-Hawkeye Arena women's single-game scoring record

Became fastest Big Ten player to reach 1,000 points

Became first Division I men's or women's player to record consecutive triple-doubles with at least 30 points

Became first woman in Big Ten history with consecutive triple-doubles

Achieved 18 assists in one game, which set program and tied conference single-game records

Set women's single-game scoring record for Crisler Center

Named Big Ten Player of the Year

Named first-team All-America by Associated Press

Named first-team All-America by United States Basketball Writers Association

Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America Team selection

Became first back-to-back recipient of Dawn Staley Award

Won Nancy Lieberman Award

Became first woman to lead Division I in points and assists per game in a single season

Led Division I in points, free throws and triple-doubles

Freshman year (2020-21)

Broke single-game scoring record for Pinnacle Bank Arena

Named Big Ten Freshman of the Year

Named first-team All-Big Ten selection

Thirteen-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week

Five-time Big Ten Player of the Week

Named to Big Ten all-tournament team

Achieved Big Ten tournament assists record

Broke Big Ten single-game records for points and 3-pointers

Named second-team All America by Associated Press

Women's College Basketball Coaches Association Coaches' All-America Team selection

First freshman to win Dawn Staley Award

Shared Tamika Catchings Award and the WBCA Freshman of the Year award with Paige Bueckers of UConn

Led NCAA Division I in scoring

Set Iowa program freshman records for points and assists

“… but I don’t think she is as good as they are making her out to be.”

She has to do more. :lol:
shrink
RealGM

Post#231 » by shrink » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

She got an invite to the Team USA for this summer’s Olympics.

I think playing there will be be worth more than $5 mil in future endorsements.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,508

Post#232 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

shrink wrote:
sikma42 wrote:

I just don’t think she is as good as they are making her out to be as a women’s basketball player.

Spoiler:
Senior year (2023-24)

Achieved most 30-point games by any man or woman in Division I in the past 25 seasons

Achieved most three-pointers in a single season by any male or female Division I player

Became the first Division I women's player to score at least 1,000 points in two different seasons

Junior year (2022-23)

Tied Elena Delle Donne as the fastest Division I women's player to reach 2,000 career points

Became first player in men's or women's NCAA tournament history to record a 30- or 40-point triple-double

Became first Division I player to record at least 900 points and 300 assists in a single season

Won Honda Sports Award

Won John R. Wooden Award

Won Wade Trophy

First-team All-America selection by United States Basketball Writers Association

Set Big Ten single-season records in points, assists, 3-pointers and free throws

Won Honda Cup

Sophomore year (2021-22)

Became first Division I men's or women's player to record consecutive triple-doubles with at least 30 points

Achieved 18 assists in one game, which set program and tied conference single-game records

Became first woman to lead Division I in points and assists per game in a single season

Freshman year (2020-21)

Women's College Basketball Coaches Association Coaches' All-America Team selection

Shared Tamika Catchings Award and the WBCA Freshman of the Year award with Paige Bueckers of UConn

0 Nat'l championships.

Imagine calling someone a GOAT without a championship. This is what I mean social media has everyone thinking she's the best player they ever seen. In reality she's a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketball. Great talent, but GOAT? Not so fast my friend.
shrink
RealGM

Post#233 » by shrink » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
shrink wrote:
sikma42 wrote:I just don’t think she is as good as they are making her out to be as a women’s basketball player.

Spoiler:
Senior year (2023-24)

Junior year (2022-23)

Won Honda Sports Award

Won John R. Wooden Award

Won Wade Trophy

Won Honda Cup

Sophomore year (2021-22)

Freshman year (2020-21)

0 Nat'l championships.

Imagine calling someone a GOAT without a championship. This is what I mean social media has everyone thinking she's the best player they ever seen. In reality she's a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketball. Great talent, but GOAT? Not so fast my friend.

So not only haven’t you seen her play, you didn’t even look at the awards list I posted?
Mephariel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,651

Post#234 » by Mephariel » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

I doubt she will care about this because BIG 3 League is a clown show. The Nicole Kidman analogy is dumb, but a better one would be if Sri Lanka offer Kidman $50 million to do a movie with the worst special effects ever. Her agent probably wouldn't even tell her about the offer.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#235 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

shrink wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
shrink wrote:

Spoiler:
Senior year (2023-24)

Junior year (2022-23)

Won Honda Sports Award

Won John R. Wooden Award

Won Wade Trophy

Won Honda Cup

Sophomore year (2021-22)

Freshman year (2020-21)

0 Nat'l championships.

So not only haven’t you seen her play, you didn’t even look at the awards list I posted?
If she's your GOAT then by all means believe it.

I thought GOAT's are required to have multiple championships tho...
shrink
RealGM

Post#236 » by shrink » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
shrink wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:0 Nat'l championships.

The double doubles, triple doubles, assist records etc make her more than “just a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketball.”

And she “happens” to be the best scorer of all time - how nice for her that she happened into that.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#237 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

shrink wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
shrink wrote:So not only haven’t you seen her play, you didn’t even look at the awards list I posted?

The double doubles, triple doubles, assist records etc make her more than “just a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketball.”

And she “happens” to be the best scorer of all time - nice how for her that she happened into that.

GOAT status! :D
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#238 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

Lebron has the alltime scoring record and people will laugh if you call him the GOAT.

Harsh reality of the troll society we live in.
shrink
RealGM

Post#239 » by shrink » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
shrink wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:If she's your GOAT then by all means believe it.

And she “happens” to be the best scorer of all time - nice how for her that she happened into that.

GOAT status! :D

I underlined your sentence. I said nothing about GOAT.

JustBuzzin wrote:In reality she's a great shooter who happens to be the best scorer in college basketbal.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,959

Post#240 » by ejftw » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

HMFFL wrote:
OdomFan wrote:Ice Cube should just make a deal with the whole WNBA. promote the hell out of it, lower the rims. Put a whole new spin on Womens basketball with talent like Caitlin Clark as the poster of it all.
Lowering the rim instantly discredits any league.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

This 100x.

Reminds me of when the MLS wanted to make the goals bigger to attract more fans. :lol:

Return to The General Board