Only 4 Contenders Remain... (Final Prediction)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,845

Re: Only 4 Contenders Remain... (Final Prediction) 

Post#41 » by GiannisAnte34 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 pm

sol537 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:
sol537 wrote:
Always trust the gut, my friend :lol:

Really? If you always trust your guts and experience methodology, how much money did you lose with this prediction?

sol537 wrote:GSW are like Rocky in the beginning of Rocky 3. Celtics are Mr T. GSW has been coddled and distracted. BOS in 5.

Solid prediction at the time... Boston had a fair chance of winning the title if Tatum and co. didn't crumble under the pressure. Nearly half or more of the analysts picked Boston as well... :D

Boston nearly choked to Rivers, Embiid, and Harden last year. Why are they not choking this year?
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#42 » by sol537 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:38 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
sol537 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:
Really? If you always trust your guts and experience methodology, how much money did you lose with this prediction?

Solid prediction at the time... Boston had a fair chance of winning the title if Tatum and co. didn't crumble under the pressure. Nearly half or more of the analysts picked Boston as well... :D

Boston nearly choked to Rivers, Embiid, and Harden last year. Why are they not choking this year?

Boston's a clearly better team this year than they were last year... by a decent margin. Don't you think?
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,543

Post#43 » by SFour » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 pm

So there's only 4 contenders and 2 of them are the 9th & 10th ranked team in the standings....not sure how that works.

Clippers and Bucks are contenders if the Mavs and Knicks are.
GiannisAnte34
Starter

Post#44 » by GiannisAnte34 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:43 pm

sol537 wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
sol537 wrote:

Boston's a clearly better team this year than they were last year... by a decent margin. Don't you think?

While I agree, I think the Jays view themselves as a Jordan/Pippen duo and therefore try to do too much to live up to the hype that surrounds them. If the Jays played more within their actual ability, which I think is more in line with Billups and Hamilton, then I think they could win.

I think how Boston could end up losing is by forcing Tatum to win 1 on 1 and shoots them out of the series (similarly to how Golden State was able to beat them even though on paper Boston was more talented)
sol537
RealGM

Post#45 » by sol537 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:46 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
sol537 wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:

While I agree, I think the Jays view themselves as a Jordan/Pippen duo and therefore try to do too much to live up to the hype that surrounds them. If the Jays played more within their actual ability, which I think is more in line with Billups and Hamilton, then I think they could win.

I think how Boston could end up losing is by forcing Tatum to win 1 on 1 and shoots them out of the series (similarly to how Golden State was able to beat them even though on paper Boston was more talented)

Yes, but they have a greater margin for error this season than the last few. Their starting line-up is really, really good. Tatum may choke again in the ECF or Finals... who knows.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#46 » by jpengland » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:46 pm

I still think the Bucks come out of the east.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,187

Post#47 » by dygaction » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:52 pm

lol, if DAL vs NYK becomes the finals, I will bankrupt myself and be ready to fly up to 7 times.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,277

Post#48 » by mademan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 pm

sol537 wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
sol537 wrote:

They had a pretty big gap against an injured Philly team last year, and they needed to be outchoked to get to the finals. Who knows. They may have finally amassed enough talent to be choke proof
GiannisAnte34
Starter

Post#49 » by GiannisAnte34 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:59 pm

sol537 wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
sol537 wrote:

Yes, but they have a greater margin for error this season than the last few. Their starting line-up is really, really good. Tatum may choke again in the ECF or Finals... who knows.

I guarantee Tatum chokes again because he tries to do too much to prove himself
sol537
RealGM

Post#50 » by sol537 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:12 pm

dygaction wrote:lol, if DAL vs NYK becomes the finals, I will bankrupt myself and be ready to fly up to 7 times.

me too :lol: :lol:
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 708

Post#51 » by UglyBugBall » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:21 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:Dallas isn't winning anything so long as their best player doesn't play defense.

I guess it's good that doncic has been playing great defense then. Someone doesn't watch the team they're talking about...
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,771

Post#52 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:26 pm

I mean there are a few tiers:

1st tier contenders: Denver, Boston, Milwaukee
2nd tier contenders: OKC, Clippers

Dangerous dark horses: Suns, Dallas, Philly and New York

I really think one of Denver, Boston or Milwaukee will win...these are proven teams with a ton of experience that have made the finals before.

I think teams like OKC, Minny and Cleveland don't have the experience yet.

Teams like the Suns, Mavericks and Clippers have an outside shot if they are healthy because they have the core championship pieces with a ton of playoff experience and proven pedigree. Like I wouldn't be surprised if any of those teams beat the Nuggets in a 7 game series if they get hot.

Should be fun.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,767

Post#53 » by Jadoogar » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
sol537 wrote:The KAT injury took them out of it IMO. Still really good, but not enough.

And yet, Towns is scheduled to be back by the playoffs...

does it make sense for him to come back and immediately start playing in the most competitive part of the season? Surely he's going to be rusty after missing so much time.
sol537
RealGM

Post#54 » by sol537 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:26 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:I mean there are a few tiers:

I really think one of Denver, Boston or Milwaukee will win...these are proven teams with a ton of experience that have made the finals before.

Teams like the Suns, Mavericks and Clippers have an outside shot if they are healthy because they have the core championship pieces with a ton of playoff experience and proven pedigree. Like I wouldn't be surprised if any of those teams beat the Nuggets in a 7 game series if they get hot.

Should be fun.

Bucks don’t belong in tier 1. See my reasoning above..
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,771

Post#55 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:30 pm

sol537 wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:I mean there are a few tiers:

Should be fun.

Bucks don’t belong in tier 1. See my reasoning above..

Boston is ahead of Milwaukee but you can't discount a team with prime Giannis and 4th quarter playoff killer in Lillard. Middleton has been playing better off late and Lopez is still effective. A dangerous team regardless.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,840

Post#56 » by Exp0sed » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:39 pm

sol537 wrote:
Rishkar wrote:I really like Minnesota's chances. I think Denver are the favorites, narrowly followed by Boston. I then have the T-Wolves third

The KAT injury took them out of it IMO. Still really good, but not enough.

KAT will be back
Reid is filling in extremely well and they ample depth, they should be able to advance to the 2nd rd. even without KAT or with KAT not at full capacity which will give him some more time to get more ready

I like Minny's chances alot, they have a better shot than the Mavs imo, but i'd put Mavs 3rd in the West in title odds, pretty close to Minny probably about the same
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#57 » by Statlanta » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 am

The field is so weak, a bunch of inconsistent young teams and veteran teams who have a broken switch.

This is not Cleveland/Golden State 2016-2018 but it’s as close as you can get with the turmoil in both conferences.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#58 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 am

Jadoogar wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
sol537 wrote:The KAT injury took them out of it IMO. Still really good, but not enough.

And yet, Towns is scheduled to be back by the playoffs...

does it make sense for him to come back and immediately start playing in the most competitive part of the season? Surely he's going to be rusty after missing so much time.

He wasn’t last year. His first game back, they went to him for the game-winner.

I don’t dismiss your point though, I guess we’ll see.
AIfan3
Head Coach
And1: 3,683

Post#59 » by AIfan3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

jpengland wrote:I still think the Bucks come out of the east.

They'd have to get a very favorable bracket to maximize their odds, avoiding heavy guard dominant teams all the way to the ECF. They're currently slotted to have the Heat or Pacers. The absolute worst matchups for them in the first round. Followed by the Knicks in the 2nd.

It's going to be tough. But you never know..

The teams I see with the best odds:

1. Denver
2. Clips
3. Celtics
4. Heat
5. Bucks
6. Knicks

I don't see any other team having a legit shot. Suns are not a cohesive unit. Mavs don't play enough defense. T-Wolves / Thunder will need an additional year of experience. Sixers are not going to be healthy enough. Kings/Pels/Cavs are paper tigers.
76ersForLife
Junior
And1: 358

Post#60 » by 76ersForLife » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

sol537 wrote:
Am I wrong? Is there less than a ~88% chance that one of DEN or BOS wins it all this year?

It's too high because of the possibility of injuries. If Joker or Murray go down Denver won't win it. Same thing if Boston loses Tatum or Brown.

Return to The General Board