Reggie Miller is REALLY REALLY BAD at Commentary

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Re: Reggie Miller is REALLY REALLY BAD at Commentary 

Post#21 » by phanman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 pm

I don't like Reggie Miller as a commentator either, but you really picked an terrible example to illustrate this point. Giannis' ability to miss a free throw is unmatched and Reggie was honest in his assessment on where the ball will go for the rebound. Reggie is going on 20 years next season with TNT and he hasn't done anything to warrant change to his status as the guy

I don't know how you guys watch a game on mute/silence/music. I may not like the commentators but I think you need the play-by-play at least to get invested into the game. It's a big reason why I hate watchin games at bars or even going to live ones at times since I can't really follow the flow of the game.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,751

Post#22 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:48 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:yeah, if its a choice between suffering through his "commentary" so I can hear the game, and literally watching with no volume... im hitting the mute button without hesitation.

A lot of people say this but I feel like no one actually does it. Unless a game is on in the background and/or there's a group of people, no one intently watching a game mutes it because of a bad commentator.

Why do you feel like that? Tell me more about your feelings...
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#23 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:52 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:Anyone else catch him last night after a big 3 by Reaves during the comeback in regulation?

"Anthony REAVES!!!!"

Nah, I missed that. But I laughed a lot when he said, "A LOT of Nervous NELLIES out here!!"
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#24 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:55 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:yeah, if its a choice between suffering through his "commentary" so I can hear the game, and literally watching with no volume... im hitting the mute button without hesitation.

A lot of people say this but I feel like no one actually does it. Unless a game is on in the background and/or there's a group of people, no one intently watching a game mutes it because of a bad commentator.

Why do you feel like that? Tell me more about your feelings...

I'm just messing with you. What I meant was, why do you assume people are lying, just because what they're saying is different than how you feel? Maybe other people aren't exactly like you...

I watch games on mute all the time because of bad commentators.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,262

Post#25 » by Capn'O » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:57 pm

boomershadow wrote:He is not my favorite of the commentators, but he is my favorite basketball player ever so he gets a pass from me.

Very touching that after all these years you continue to honor him with your avatar photo.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,700

Post#26 » by RB34 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:00 pm

Petition to for the NBA to start a game sounds only stream.
The4thHorseman
General Manager
And1: 4,515

Post#27 » by The4thHorseman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:Anyone else catch him last night after a big 3 by Reaves during the comeback in regulation?

"Anthony REAVES!!!!"

Nah, I missed that. But I laughed a lot when he said, "A LOT of Nervous NELLIES out here!!"

I caught that, got a good chuckle myself.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#28 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:43 pm

RB34 wrote:Petition to for the NBA to start a game sounds only stream.

TNT has one in the NBA app if you have LP. It's really great.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,700

Post#29 » by RB34 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:03 pm

scrabbarista wrote:

I didn’t know that! I’ll have to check it out, thanks!
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#30 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:22 pm

RB34 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

I didn’t know that! I’ll have to check it out, thanks!

It takes getting used to because of the camera angle, but once you get used to it, it's awesome.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#31 » by WolfAddict » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:30 pm

Capn'O wrote:Also, he's an alien and he probably has bad breath.

boomershadow wrote:He is not my favorite of the commentators, but he is my favorite basketball player ever so he gets a pass from me.

Confirmed. boomershadow IS Reggie Miller
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,342

Post#32 » by Dr Aki » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:44 pm

Memories wrote:

“These free throws from Giannis…they can come from ANYWHERE” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then the “mmmm” when Giannis misses the first one. :banghead: It’s so cringe that it made me want to turn the volume all the way down.

Like, what? All game, he has had absolutely stupid quotes like that that make me think this guy is talking to a bunch of 5 year olds. Combined with his awful natural voice, I don’t understand why the powers that be, keep giving this guy jobs at commentary when he’s terrible at it. Always has been.

FTFY

use the [streamable][/streamable] BBCode to show the video
Tim Kempton
Starter
And1: 4,901

Post#33 » by Tim Kempton » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 am

His voice is dreadful and should not be heard by the public. He's like the male version of Doris Burke. Maybe he's got some nudes of some of the execs' wives or something. He's known for that.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,826

Post#34 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 am

Memories wrote:https://streamable.com/l80the

“These free throws from Giannis…they can come from ANYWHERE” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then the “mmmm” when Giannis misses the first one. :banghead: It’s so cringe that it made me want to turn the volume all the way down.

Like, what? All game, he has had absolutely stupid quotes like that that make me think this guy is talking to a bunch of 5 year olds. Combined with his awful natural voice, I don’t understand why the powers that be, keep giving this guy jobs at commentary when he’s terrible at it. Always has been.

You figure out yet got his quote wrong on the freethrows? And what he means?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#35 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 am

One_and_Done wrote:It's very clear Reggie neither likes nor understands the modern game.

I mean, Reggie's entire style of play is essentially what the modern NBA has become...
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 763

Post#36 » by bballfan1three3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 am

Hard disagree... He is generic and says a lot of catch phrases. PERFECT. Just like a good play by play guy

I don't want someone trying to turn everything into their personal sandbox. I want someone with a decent sounding voice who gets to the point and you can listen to them from a room over and they Actually SAY WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE GAME.

Nothing is worse than a 5 minute SVG rant about the state of the league at 1130 pm when I'm tryna watch the game from the other side of the house. I don't care about your opinions. Describe the basketball game to the audience!
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,000

Post#37 » by Dan33185 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 am

Guess I'm one of the few who actually doesn't mind Reggie.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,569

Post#38 » by One_and_Done » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:It's very clear Reggie neither likes nor understands the modern game.

I mean, Reggie's entire style of play is essentially what the modern NBA has become...

Except in today's NBA where the entire defensive scheme is set up to stop the 3pt shot Reggie would get fewer open looks. That would be fine if Reggie could punish defenses for overhelping by blowing to the rim Harden style... but he can't. Ray Allen is the prototype for "he'd be better today", not Reggie.

When Reggie played nobody took the 3 seriously and left him way too open. Reggie would still be good, but not the star some people imagine. More like the player he actually was, not the one fans think he was in hindsight.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
doogie_hauser
Senior
And1: 792

Post#39 » by doogie_hauser » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 am

He called Reaves Anthony yesterday too.

He is a shocker.

If I am forced to listen to only TNT commentary during Celtics games, I put it on mute.

Sometimes I honestly feel like he tries his best to antagonise opposition fans and viewers as caller, like he did as a player.

He is the worst
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#40 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 am

One_and_Done wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

Except in today's NBA where the entire defensive scheme is set up to stop the 3pt shot Reggie would get fewer open looks. That would be fine if Reggie could punish defenses for overhelping by blowing to the rim Harden style... but he can't. Ray Allen is the prototype for "he'd be better today", not Reggie.

When Reggie played nobody took the 3 seriously and left him way too open. Reggie would still be good, but not the star some people imagine. More like the player he actually was, not the one fans think he was in hindsight.

There is no way you actually believe any of this.

Return to The General Board