Reggie Miller is REALLY REALLY BAD at Commentary

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Re: Reggie Miller is REALLY REALLY BAD at Commentary 

Post#41 » by OdomFan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

Not sure why its hard to just tune it out. I think its clear that these ex players aren't hired to be some to the book traditional commentators. They're there to be themselves. To be the personalities that many loved when they came up to the mic during their playing days. I have no problem with that.

There's still professional commentators there for that who hadn't played in the NBA. Sounds like those are the people that the OP should watch rather than Reggie Miller or Shaquille O'Neal if what they are doing is a problem.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,472

Post#42 » by Myth » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

Memories wrote:
“These free throws from Giannis…they can come from ANYWHERE” :lol: :lol: :lol:

First of all, you missed an important word he said: “off.”

“These free throws from Giannnis… They can come off from anywhere.”

Nothing wrong with that. He is saying that he is inconsistent that his shots can be long, short, left, right; therefore everybody needs to be ready to rebound.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,472

Post#43 » by Myth » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

scrabbarista wrote:
RB34 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
TNT has one in the NBA app if you have LP. It's really great.

I didn’t know that! I’ll have to check it out, thanks!

It takes getting used to because of the camera angle, but once you get used to it, it's awesome.

Yeah, terrible angles is why I don’t watch that. Also, do they keep the score on the screen? I remember some steam that doesn’t and can’t remember if that was TNT or not since it has been a while since I tried it.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#44 » by jg77 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 am

Dan33185 wrote:Guess I'm one of the few who actually doesn't mind Reggie.

He doesn't bother me either.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,750

Post#45 » by scrabbarista » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 am

Myth wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
RB34 wrote:
I didn’t know that! I’ll have to check it out, thanks!

It takes getting used to because of the camera angle, but once you get used to it, it's awesome.

Yeah, terrible angles is why I don’t watch that. Also, do they keep the score on the screen? I remember some steam that doesn’t and can’t remember if that was TNT or not since it has been a while since I tried it.

I forget about the scores.

However, I actually grew to prefer the camera angle. It's just not what you're used to at first.

Also, you get to hear a ton of chatter - clearly - from the crowd, players, etc., on some feeds.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,566

Post#46 » by One_and_Done » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:I mean, Reggie's entire style of play is essentially what the modern NBA has become...

Except in today's NBA where the entire defensive scheme is set up to stop the 3pt shot Reggie would get fewer open looks. That would be fine if Reggie could punish defenses for overhelping by blowing to the rim Harden style... but he can't. Ray Allen is the prototype for "he'd be better today", not Reggie.

When Reggie played nobody took the 3 seriously and left him way too open. Reggie would still be good, but not the star some people imagine. More like the player he actually was, not the one fans think he was in hindsight.

There is no way you actually believe any of this.

Explain the part that is wrong.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,511

Post#47 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 am

One_and_Done wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Except in today's NBA where the entire defensive scheme is set up to stop the 3pt shot Reggie would get fewer open looks. That would be fine if Reggie could punish defenses for overhelping by blowing to the rim Harden style... but he can't. Ray Allen is the prototype for "he'd be better today", not Reggie.

When Reggie played nobody took the 3 seriously and left him way too open. Reggie would still be good, but not the star some people imagine. More like the player he actually was, not the one fans think he was in hindsight.

There is no way you actually believe any of this.

Literally all of it?

For one, Reggie could always attack the basket. Two, the idea teams weren't defending him shooting 3s is hilarious. Three, the idea that teams play more defense now is wild. Not to mention pretty much every advanced stat we have, says Reggie was always underrated, and his impact would be even more significant today's NBA.

We could go back and forth, but honestly, the fact that you think he'd face harder defenses today pretty much tells me there isn't a conversation to be had.
JnewFTW
Sophomore
And1: 382

Post#48 » by JnewFTW » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 am

Still better than JVG bitching and whining about literally anything happening in the game.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,566

Post#49 » by One_and_Done » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:There is no way you actually believe any of this.

Literally all of it?

For one, Reggie could always attack the basket. Two, the idea teams weren't defending him shooting 3s is hilarious. Three, the idea that teams play more defense now is wild. Not to mention pretty much every advanced stat we have, says Reggie was always underrated, and his impact would be even more significant today's NBA.

We could go back and forth, but honestly, the fact that you think he'd face harder defenses today pretty much tells me there isn't a conversation to be had.

They weren't defending him anything like today. Guys could get space to shoot the 3 far easier.

Reggie was not an explode to the rim kind of guy either.

Honestly, the fact you think today's D is easier tells me all I need to know. Today you get less elbows thrown. Instead you have to run around like a lunatic through screens and stop on a dime and sprint back to contest at full explosion. Go watch old games. Guys are mostly standing around on D.

Also do you think Reggie's awesome efficiency might be related to the fact nobody is taking his 3pt shot as seriously as today?
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.

Return to The General Board