Is Jalen Green America's next big star?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is Green Americas next big young star?

Yes
26%
Nope calm down
74%

Total votes: 54

GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,741

Is Jalen Green America's next big star? 

Post#1 » by GIMME_DATT » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

green may be starting to put it together and he has the game that will appeal to casuals
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Re: Is Jalen Green America's next big star? 

Post#2 » by thelead » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

I dunno... I'd pump the breaks on this but it has been awesome to see him play to his expectations. He's been playing out of his mind.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#3 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

I suspect too many people have gotten invested in their idea of what he is for him to ever be un-controversial, not sure why, he’s not a bad kid or anything, but I am not voting either way because I just don’t know yet. If he keeps playing D and getting boards like he has been last couple of months it’s much more likely, because offensively his only issues have really been judgment. I wonder how bright he is, but I don’t really have anything to back that up, probably unfair.

One thing I gotta keep reminding myself is how young he was drafted. There will be plenty of guys drafted this year older than he is now.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,553

Post#4 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

Who is more athletic - green or Edwards?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

azcatz11 wrote:Who is more athletic - green or Edwards?

Edwards is much stronger, Green is quicker and has a bit more bounce/agility. Ant’s 1/2 year older. Not saying level, just type, Ant is more VC, Green more young MJ.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,991

Post#6 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

azcatz11 wrote:Who is more athletic - green or Edwards?

Jalen Green has more hops IMO. Strength goes to Antman though.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
mako
Junior
And1: 328

Post#7 » by mako » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

I would say that he'll appeal to casuals because his game is flashy and athletic, but as for becoming a superstar he'll have to show that he'll be able to play at this level for longer.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,680

Post#8 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

It's a well known thing that some guys become much better performers once they start their own family. It appears that Green is one of those guys.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,356

Post#9 » by Gusto1903 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

Anthony Edwards is him, what are you on about
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,109

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

In my view it’s Chet.

Definitely need more evidence on Green he’s been real hot but he’s very bad on defense and still gives me JR Smith with a green light vibes.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#11 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

It's time to pump the brakes now.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,248

Post#12 » by Godymas » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

he has star potential

i don't see him as a face of the league type guy at all though
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

People should watch before opining, or at least look at stats.

Just on defense, for example: Green already has 2.7 DWS this season. That’s what Scottie Barnes had last year, for example. Cam’s highest is 1.1. J.R. Smith got that high once, in his 9th season in the league; his highest by his 3rd year was, yep, 1.1. Kobe Bryant’s 3rd year was 1.5, at the age of 22 it was 2.2. Last year All D guys Jrue Holiday and Jaren Jackson this year? 2.7, tied with Green, and Caruso is at 2.2.

He has 7.8 TRB/100. Cam’s at 5.1, and his career high was 6.6. Smith only reached that level or higher twice in his career, in his 7th and 9th seasons in the league. Green has 5.2 assists/100. Cam’s highest is 4.6, Smith’s 5.1 (in his 5th season).

And on all of these, remember, are built off an early stretch where he was playing the worst ball of his career. The argument for Green is not that this season has been great from the start, it’s that he has significant improved as the season has gone on and in the last couple months been playing at an elite level.

Obviously if you believe this is just a really extended hot streak you’re not going to buy in, that’s your prerogative. If, on the other hand you think a couple months is pretty damn long for a streak and he has hit a new level, you are much more likely to buy in. But what can’t be denied is that the idea that he brings nothing but scoring is you talking about who he was in past seasons, not this one. He is definitely bringing a lot more to the table than that on the season as a whole, and people saying that he isn’t are just saying they haven’t watched him much this year. The one in which he turned 22 just last month, he was 21 for most of the season. Meaning you have decided what he is and always will be based on the seasons during which he was 19 and 20 for most of the season. If you’re comfortable with that, okay, but I sure wouldn’t be.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,441

Post#14 » by Rendei » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

Expectations breed disappointment. He's a good, young player. Let him be that.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,799

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

I think he is good example how team dynamic, coaching, all that, can impact guys actual success in a league. Sengun went down, and Sengun was great, but now they literally play with 5 athletic fast guys on the court, and it just clicked for Green way better than Sengun lineups.

Houston do play for something and their games are indeed very important, but I think we also need to remember it is March, and March is historically that period of season where individual results gets distorted sometimes. We will see how it goes from this.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#16 » by Apz » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

Meh, nothing special. Thought the thought were to make america great again, if green is that, how the mighty has fallen.
Hes got a good stretch tho, but that happens to many players from time to time. Im not buying yet
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#17 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:People should watch before opining, or at least look at stats.

Just on defense, for example: Green already has 2.7 DWS this season. That’s what Scottie Barnes had last year, for example. Cam’s highest is 1.1. J.R. Smith got that high once, in his 9th season in the league; his highest by his 3rd year was, yep, 1.1. Kobe Bryant’s 3rd year was 1.5, at the age of 22 it was 2.2. Last year All D guys Jrue Holiday and Jaren Jackson this year? 2.7, tied with Green, and Caruso is at 2.2.

He also has only 0.5 OWS. So do you believe that Jalen Green is a much more impactful defensive player than offensive player? The reality is that defensive boxscore numbers also reflect team performance and have a tendency to over-credit poor defensive players on good defensive teams (in addition to, of course, overvaluing boxscore-events by nature of it being a boxscore-derive stat).

Fact is that Houston's defense is 6.6 points per 100 possessions better when Green is on the bench as opposed to when he is on the court. That's worst on the team. His D-EPM is -1.0, which is in the 34th percentile. That appears to be a much more realistic representation of what he is on defense (not least because EPM is currently often considered the gold standard in publicly available all-in-one metrics).
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

The-Power wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:People should watch before opining, or at least look at stats.

He also has only 0.5 OWS. So do you believe that Jalen Green is a much more impactful defensive player than offensive player? The reality is that defensive boxscore numbers also reflect team performance and have a tendency to over-credit poor defensive players on good defensive teams (in addition to, of course, overvaluing boxscore-events by nature of it being a boxscore-derive stat).

Fact is that Houston's defense is 6.6 points per 100 possessions better when Green is on the bench as opposed to when he is on the court. That's worst on the team. His D-EPM is -1.0, which is in the 34th percentile. That appears to be a much more realistic representation of what he is on defense (not least because EPM is currently often considered the gold standard in publicly available all-in-one metrics).

I think his early part of the season was his worst offensive play of his career, probably due in large part for playing a very low pace/high energy defensive scheme, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that having been fairly - until he turned it all around. And his defense/rebounding jump happened before his scoring efficiency jump. Again, as stipulated, if you think his scoring is just a hot streak, I get not buying in. I am not 100% sure it isn’t myself, but it is getting pretty damn long to just be a streak, and since Sengun went down he’s been doing it while being the clear focus of opposing defences.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#19 » by ocelot17 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

I think that playing in the g league and playing for Stephen Silas affected his development as a player.

Earlier this season, udoka mentioned that the reason he’s so hard on the rookies Thompson and whitmore is because he doesn’t want them to fall in to the same pitfalls some of the young players on the team went through in the last couple of years.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,685

Post#20 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

No knock on Green specifically, but I am always a little skeptical of players that suddenly emerge for a short run in March, right before their next contract.

Return to The General Board