Who is winning the title?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins it all?

Boston
29%
Denver
40%
Bucks
4%
Suns
2%
Clippers
3%
Lakers
3%
OKC
1%
Wolves
4%
Mavs
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 149

Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,459

Re: Who is winning the title? 

Post#61 » by Yuri36 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

ChipotleWest wrote:I'm pretty impressed this board is giving Mavs 4th highest percentage in the poll.

Mavs are 11-0 when both Doncic and their new center Gafford are starting (and that includes wins against OKC, Denver or Kings).....perhaps it has something to do with that?
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,564

Post#62 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

Yuri36 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:I'm pretty impressed this board is giving Mavs 4th highest percentage in the poll.

Mavs are 11-0 when both Doncic and their new center Gafford are starting (and that includes wins against OKC, Denver or Kings).....perhaps it has something to do with that?

What is their record on Mondays?
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,026

Post#63 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

Yuri36 wrote:

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't mean the whole board is.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#64 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am

One_and_Done wrote:
stuporman wrote:I don't think they are going to win it but how could you not put the Knicks in the options in place of the Suns?

Sure, the Suns have names but haven't shown any ability to string any sustained great play or enough wins together to be a serious threat to any of the top 4 west teams let alone the second 4 teams.

While the Knicks have been battling injuries for the better part of 3 months but still in the 3rd seed and in striking distance of the 2nd seed. They are maybe the biggest threat to the Celtics if, big IF, healthy.

Either way, I'm picking the Nuggets out of the west and for the title, they are gelling at the right time and have the best player in the league. Wolves match up well with them so second choice, maybe OKC but still kinda young and small yet wow, they are good. Mavs real solid since the trade deadline, too.

The Celtics probably still come out of the east if healthy, of course, but the Knicks or Bucks may be able to take them down, too, even if healthy. They are the most talented and probably the deepest team in the east but still feel vulnerable for some reason, maybe it's a mental thing. Magic surging but too soon.

Except for an unexpected run like the Heat did last year, I don't see a team outside of the top 3 in either conference getting to the finals.

Knicks can't beat the top teams in the playoffs.

How do you know? The Knicks have played 17 games with OG and they’re 15-2. Their ceiling is sky high. They might just be that good. The Suns have played 44 games with Beal and they’re 27-17. We know they’re nothing special. Plus the Knicks get to go through a pretty wide open East while the Suns have to get through the play-in just to even lose the postseason and then will likely have 3 very tough Western opponents.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#65 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 am

It's about what their theoretical path to victory is. If I look at the Suns, I can see the way they can play that matches up well enough with teams like Denver to beat them. It may not happen, but they have that high end outcome with their personnel.

Can the Knicks and Heat win alot of games? Yes. Can they match up with top teams like Denver in a way that can get them a win? I don't see how. They have nobody to guard Jokic, and worse they have nobody to go 5 out with. If Thibs coaches differently to how he's always coached, which sounds preposterous as I type it, maybe they could play OG at the 5? I guess if they did that you could try and construct a path to victory... but not when you haven't played that way all season.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#66 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

Yuri36 wrote:

PJ is playing better lately as well. His versatility defensively is pretty impressive. Hopefully we will get Josh Green back for the playoffs and Exum will stay healthy. I feel pretty confident against any team in the west besides Denver. Even that series would be really competitive. Nico did a great job this trade deadline.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,784

Post#67 » by durden_tyler » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

i still see Boston as the top favorite. Locking down that #1 seed and HC advantage for all of the playoffs, we see them relax and rest their stars and maybe give away a few Ws here and there as the regular season winds down. But i think ,the past few postseasons struggles and disappointments have already thought them the invaluable lessons on poise and playing the right way at the right time and that should happen this season.

It does not help that there is no real East title contender. Perhaps the surging Bucks could take them down and Philly if Embiid is healthy but even then the Celtics are still the better team vs those two teams. The rest of the East will be manhandled by Boston and this "easy way" to the Finals will be big come championship round compared to the West where it's going to be a bloodbath.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 773

Post#68 » by Gatorade Sax » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

Whoever comes out of the west will have run a hectic gauntlet to get there.

The East is basically Boston/Milwaukee, with the Heat having to be given a look in based on recent history.

The East team better be ready to play a playoff hardened Western counterpart, honestly keen to see how it shakes out this year.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,097

Post#69 » by stuporman » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

The West will probably end up with 3 teams that win at least 55 games at the top of the conference and the Suns still have to finish the season with games against OKC, SAC, 2 against MIN, 2 against NO, 2 against LAC with their 'easy game' against CLE.

They are 2 games ahead of 9th seed LAL, don't own the tiebreaker with them and that brutal 9 game schedule to end it. It doesn't even look that good to get out of the play-in let alone path to the finals...sheesh, it's a gauntlet.

The Knicks still have a chance to be the 2 seed.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,459

Post#70 » by Yuri36 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Well, nobody cares which is not quite the same for a stat involving the new team starting 5 post trade's record :wink:
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,626

Post#71 » by bisme37 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 pm

I'm chuckling because there have been several threads/polls like this all season and the Nuggets have won pretty much every poll.

But this particular poll went up after the Nuggets lost to the Suns the other night, and for the first time the Celtics were leading the poll and were going to win the title.

But now the Celtics lost a game and the Nuggets are winning the title again.

It's just funny how the most recent night of games seems to the determining factor in these things haha.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,454

Post#72 » by AleksandarN » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 pm

bisme37 wrote:I'm chuckling because there have been several threads/polls like this all season and the Nuggets have won pretty much won every poll.

But this particular poll went up after the Nuggets lost to the Suns the other night, and for the first time the Celtics were leading the poll and were going to win the title.

It's just funny how the most recent night of games seems to the determining factor in these things haha.

Are you trying to suggest that realgm posters overreact. You don’t say. News to me. After 20 some years on this board.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 552

Post#73 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 pm

Yuri36 wrote:

Sounds like last season after the Suns traded for Durant and then went like 10-0 with him and Booker both playing.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#74 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:25 pm

Yuri36 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Well, nobody cares which is not quite the same for a stat involving the new team starting 5 post trade's record :wink:

It depends. Are the games consecutive, or is Gafford only starting certain games against weak foes. I listed the Mavs, so I'm giving them more chance than most, but not sure this stat proves much yet.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,859

Post#75 » by jkvonny » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Sounds like an ESPN stat thing. lol
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 811

Post#76 » by NY2k1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:00 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
They are #6 in clutch offensive rating, and #6 in clutch net and defensive rating.

They are 20-11 in clutch games while Denver is 25-12. Denver has been better in clutch games but it's not by some wide margin, and they are in that situation a lot more because Boston has been generally blowing teams out.

I’m sure they’re fine in the last 3-5 minutes of a game, but if it comes down to one possession at the end of a game to tie or take the lead, I honestly can’t even remember the last time they scored. It feels like it hasn’t happened all season.

That's only if the game comes down to 1 shot. Boston is so much more talented and better than everyone else I honestly would not suspect that 4 out of 7 games in a series are going to come down to the last shot against anyone other than the Nuggets. They're going to win before that point more often than not versus any non-Denver team.

Against Denver in the finals yeah it's a legitimate worry, but Boston is so much more likely to make the finals than Denver is. The East isn't very good and no Eastern team is on their level anyway. The Celtics will be in the finals. If their opponent is anyone other than Denver I think Boston winning the title is a pretty safe bet. Denver is a bit of a nightmare scenario, but if that ends up being the finals matchup, I still think Boston has a good chance. Yes Denver is on average going to have better offensive possessions in the clutch than Boston is but it's not like the last 2 or 3 possessions determine the outcome of every basketball game. You can win by having enough of a lead before you get there, or sometimes the ball bounces your way and you win despite not getting an awesome last shot for the game.

A fully healthy Knicks team would give the Celtics a run for their money. That series would go the distance.
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 811

Post#77 » by NY2k1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:02 pm

durden_tyler wrote:i still see Boston as the top favorite. Locking down that #1 seed and HC advantage for all of the playoffs, we see them relax and rest their stars and maybe give away a few Ws here and there as the regular season winds down. But i think ,the past few postseasons struggles and disappointments have already thought them the invaluable lessons on poise and playing the right way at the right time and that should happen this season.

It does not help that there is no real East title contender. Perhaps the surging Bucks could take them down and Philly if Embiid is healthy but even then the Celtics are still the better team vs those two teams. The rest of the East will be manhandled by Boston and this "easy way" to the Finals will be big come championship round compared to the West where it's going to be a bloodbath.

Celtics would likely still have the edge, but a fully healthy Knicks team would give them a big fight.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,725

Post#78 » by thinktank » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:37 pm

I like my Wolves more than Denver. That’s for sure.

We’ve been beating up on Denver this year.

Our defense is just so insanely driven and athletic.

We’re at the top of the West for good reason.

Plus, like Conley and Ant are saying, we can be even better, so it sure looks like we’re peaking at the right time. In fact, we’re the hottest team in the West besides the #11 Rockets. But we’re on top.

:D
"a poor addition to the board"
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,725

Post#79 » by thinktank » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:41 pm

bisme37 wrote:I'm chuckling because there have been several threads/polls like this all season and the Nuggets have won pretty much every poll.

If that were the case more posters would be voting Wolves.

We absolutely smacked them in the mouth last night.
"a poor addition to the board"
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,026

Post#80 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm

I'd be nervous if I were a team OKC or Minnesota and you find yourselves in the WCF against the Lakers somehow. I think they want to rig it for Lebron to win a ring from the play in so that he's the GOAT. They have the largest free throw discrepancy 2 years in a row which in a 100% fair sport would be practically impossible. Beware.

Return to The General Board