Main reason Jordan is the GOAT

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,031

Re: Main reason Jordan is the GOAT 

Post#121 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

NbaAllDay wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:These MJ/Lebron threads have the same 5 or so people post in circles with little to no real substance. Half of it looks copy pasted from other threads they post in.

I've tried to engage in some of them but end up hurting my head in an attempt to clarify the narratives pushed both ways.

It was entertaining at first but it's become mostly sad.

You could try to make them more entertaining yourself? Oh but you're not capable.

I don't think you realise the laugh I had when you replied directly to this but I'll let you figure out why.

I don't care what you think as I'm not here to entertain you.

You've entered a thread and posted your displeasure about the thread but nobody asked for your opinion on how the thread was going and I've seen enough of your posts to know you aren't capable of making a thread good yourself so maybe you should withhold judgment of other people and their posts/threads because you have nothing in the way of being intelligent or entertaining people.

Ignored.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,701

Post#122 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

ChipotleWest wrote:There's only so many ways you can reach to try to discredit Jordan like disregard his entire era of basketball, try to make fun of his 3 point shooting, bring up a series he sat for almost 2 years where he lost in the 90's or bring up early in his career. I think you guys are out of ammo on him because you've used all those up.

Please show me a post where I discredit Jordan. You guys keep lumping me into the "Lebron crowd" yet I haven't seen you bring up anything I've said on either side that even comes remotely close to the nonsense you post in every thread.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,701

Post#123 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

A great example of 'posting with your emotions 24/7' at least it's more entertaining than sad again.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#124 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

NbaAllDay wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:These MJ/Lebron threads have the same 5 or so people post in circles with little to no real substance. Half of it looks copy pasted from other threads they post in.

I've tried to engage in some of them but end up hurting my head in an attempt to clarify the narratives pushed both ways.

It was entertaining at first but it's become mostly sad.

I was wondering when you were gonna show up with all of your wisdom

2 of you couldn't help yourself which just proves my point all the more.

And your reply just proved mine….have a great night and next time you want to have a meaningful discussion minus the pathetic insult let me know.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,190

Post#125 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

One_and_Done wrote:Jordan would likely be a top 5 player if he played today, but I doubt anyone would consider him the GOAT. The 90s sucked compared to today's league.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :noway: :noway: :noway: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nod: :nod: :nod: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

KIDS THESE DAYS :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Bring back Defense
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,564

Post#126 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

Jta444 wrote:Jordan would feast on today’s finesse no interior defense with defensive 3 seconds league.

Lebron only started dominating when Garnett and Duncan and the last of the great big men retired. Heck he even struggled against an old Garnett and lost to a 38 year old Tim Duncan. Imaginee if he faced them in their prime. At one point he even struggled against Hibbert. And this is prime Lebron struggling against old dudes.

Lebron’s specialty is attacking the rim which opens up his passing and shooting game thats why he only dominated and had high stats when there werent great defensive big men anymore and it was the smallball era from 2015-2020z Of course he would have the best stats he faced Draymond at center who he is taller and more athletic than lol. When great big men started to appear again like Giannis and Embiid he jumped out of the East and RECRUITED the best interior defender in the NBA Anthony Davis so he wouldnt face him. So imagine if he was in the late 80s 90s facing Hakeem, Mutombo, Oakley, Smits, Eaton, Malone, Shaq, Ewing etc. He wouldnt be bigger and stronger than everybody, which is his main physical attribute. It’s not the perimeter defenders that trouble him, it’s the interior defenders and the 90s was the golden age of shot blocking big men

PS People complain oh the 90s had Mugsy and Shawn bradley, well this era had 5”7 isaiah thomas almost having the MVP. We also had brian scalabrine and jared dudley lol. It’s easy to nitpick players

Possibly the most ridiculous narrative I've ever heard.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
parapooper
Sixth Man
And1: 912

Post#127 » by parapooper » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

There’s one thing about every NBA champion and their championship runs that nobody ever talks about or even remembers; they won every game they HAD to win. Every MUST WIN game was won.
Therefore, everyone who ever won anything is the GOAT
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#128 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

Lmfao you said SGA shoots 3s but now its the threat of SGA shooting 3s???? Backtracking like ive never seen before lol. Just last week you got a discussion locked for trolling. Do you remember that?

It was so obvious I didn't think I'd have to explain it. Do you want me to explain why KD and SGA shooting midrangers has utility too? (Hint: it involves 3s).

No it wasnt obvious kid you are just backtracking. If you were old enough to have watched 90s nba you would understand that the 3 point shot wasn’t considered a “good” shot and the top offensive players in that era were not focusing on the 3 ball other than guys like Reggie Miller, Glen Rice, Ray Allen, and some others. If Jordan played today that would be more of a focus and he would add it to his arsenal. He would still dominate with his mid range, post up, and an occasional 3 pointer. Plus he would average 8-10 free throws a game and he was a career 84% free throw shooter. Your trolling is changing nobody’s mind.

It's pretty silly to claim it's backtracking when I've explained it in dozens of threads, including ones you have participated in. I guess this just proves you don't read my posts, which means there's no point replying to you.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Jta444
Sophomore
And1: 201

Post#129 » by Jta444 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Jta444 wrote:Jordan would feast on today’s finesse no interior defense with defensive 3 seconds league.

Lebron only started dominating when Garnett and Duncan and the last of the great big men retired. Heck he even struggled against an old Garnett and lost to a 38 year old Tim Duncan. Imaginee if he faced them in their prime. At one point he even struggled against Hibbert. And this is prime Lebron struggling against old dudes.

Lebron’s specialty is attacking the rim which opens up his passing and shooting game thats why he only dominated and had high stats when there werent great defensive big men anymore and it was the smallball era from 2015-2020z Of course he would have the best stats he faced Draymond at center who he is taller and more athletic than lol. When great big men started to appear again like Giannis and Embiid he jumped out of the East and RECRUITED the best interior defender in the NBA Anthony Davis so he wouldnt face him. So imagine if he was in the late 80s 90s facing Hakeem, Mutombo, Oakley, Smits, Eaton, Malone, Shaq, Ewing etc. He wouldnt be bigger and stronger than everybody, which is his main physical attribute. It’s not the perimeter defenders that trouble him, it’s the interior defenders and the 90s was the golden age of shot blocking big men

PS People complain oh the 90s had Mugsy and Shawn bradley, well this era had 5”7 isaiah thomas almost having the MVP. We also had brian scalabrine and jared dudley lol. It’s easy to nitpick players

It’s ridiculous because it’s true and an underrated often overlooked fact of Lebron’s career. He struggled against rim protectors. That’s why he had high stats vs the Warriors because Bogut was injured in 2016 and their tallest player was Draymond. 2011 he couldnt drive vs Tyson Chandler and had an 8 point game. 2013 took him game 7 to beat an old Tim Duncan who Kobe dominated at Duncan’s prime( and that was with David Robinson too imagine if Lebron faced The Twin Towers). He got spanked in 2014 by a 38 year old Tim Duncan.

He got lucky because the next wave of big men came years later with Giannis and Embiid. To counter that, he jumped out of the east and recruited Anthony Davis the league’s best rim protector so he wouldnt face him in the West. He won 2020 because of AD before AD got to the Lakers he MISSED the playoffs in the West lol.

Meanwhile Jordan out there dominating much better rim protectors like Mutombo, Shaq, Mourning, Eaton, Robinson - he ate them alive and that was WITHOUT defensive 3 seconds where rim protectors can stay in the paint. Imagine if all rin protectors can camp in paint with Lebron, he would never be able to drive and his weak footwork and lack of offensive arsenal would be exposed as defenders would just play close to him knowing they have an elite rim protector at the back and oh soft fouls werent called back then too. Lebron feasts today because while there are great perimeter defenders there is almost no more rim protection in the league. Plus fouls are called easily.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#130 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

Jta444 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

It’s ridiculous because it’s true and an underrated often overlooked fact of Lebron’s career. He struggled against rim protectors. That’s why he had high stats vs the Warriors because Bogut was injured in 2016 and their tallest player was Draymond. 2011 he couldnt drive vs Tyson Chandler and had an 8 point game. 2013 took him game 7 to beat an old Tim Duncan who Kobe dominated at Duncan’s prime( and that was with David Robinson too imagine if Lebron faced The Twin Towers). He got spanked in 2014 by a 38 year old Tim Duncan.

He got lucky because the next wave of big men came years later with Giannis and Embiid. To counter that, he jumped out of the east and recruited Anthony Davis the league’s best rim protector so he wouldnt face him in the West. He won 2020 because of AD before AD got to the Lakers he MISSED the playoffs in the West lol.

Meanwhile Jordan out there dominating much better rim protectors like Mutombo, Shaq, Mourning, Eaton, Robinson - he ate them alive and that was WITHOUT defensive 3 seconds where rim protectors can stay in the paint. Imagine if all rin protectors can camp in paint with Lebron, he would never be able to drive and his weak footwork and lack of offensive arsenal would be exposed as defenders would just play close to him knowing they have an elite rim protector at the back and oh soft fouls werent called back then too. Lebron feasts today because while there are great perimeter defenders there is almost no more rim protection in the league. Plus fouls are called easily.

Ah yes. The tried and true "Lebron won in 2016 because Bogut wasn't there to play 18.5mpg (in 4 games)" defence. There's no rebuttal to that classic argument. Just for giggles though, here's Lebron's stats in the 2015 finals vs 2016:

36-13-9 in 2015, opposed to 30-11-9 in 2016. Sure, Lebron was more efficient in 2016, but he had Kyrie and Love to help take the offensive load off in 2016. In 2015 his #2 was Mozgov. Lebron was also more efficient when Bogut was on the court!

Oh, and the 2 games Bogut missed in the 2015 finals? The Cavs lost. The game where Bogut played only 2 minutes in 2015? The Cavs lost that one too. In fact they were 2-1 in games Bogut meaningfully played in. For those watching Bogut's role reduction was why they won; the Warriors realised the Cavs couldn't stop them if they went small. You literally cited the birth of modern small ball as an argument for why Lebron feared bigger players. :lol:
Jta444
Sophomore

Post#131 » by Jta444 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Jta444 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Possibly the most ridiculous narrative I've ever heard.

Ah yes. The tried and true "Lebron won in 2016 because Bogut wasn't there to play 18.5mpg (in 4 games)" defence. There's no rebuttal to that classic argument. Just for giggles though, here's Lebron's stats in the 2015 finals vs 2016:

36-13-9 in 2015, opposed to 30-11-9 in 2016. Sure, Lebron was more efficient in 2016, but he had Kyrie and Love to help take the offensive load off in 2016. In 2015 his #2 was Mozgov.

Oh, and the 2 games Bogut missed in the 2015 finals? The Cavs lost. The game where Bogut played only 2 minutes in 2015? The Cavs lost that one too. In fact they were 2-1 in games Bogut meaningfully played in. For those watching Bogut's role reduction was why they won; the Warriors realised the Cavs couldn't stop them if they went small. You literally cited the birth of modern small ball as an argument for why Lebron feared bigger players. :lol:

Which is what Lebron-ball is. Get Lebron his much coveted stats (he won’t even heave a halfcourt shot to protect his field goal percentage lol) leads to inefficient losing basketball. Teams figured that out quick Lebron wants his stats let him pound the ball let him get all the stats meanwhile his teammates become out of rhythm and cant do anything. And it shows in the results. In 20 years of his supposed dominance he only won 4. Magic won 5 in half the time haha. Not to mention Jordan etc. But at least Lebron is happy because he can brag “oh look at my stats i lead all stats in my team i had all triple doubles my team sucks” that’s the attitude of a loser not a winner. He’s this generation’s Wilt. All stats no substance. Not a winner like Russell/Jordan.

Also it proves more the point imagine he struggled vs the limited time Bogut was on the floor Andrew freakin Bogut lol what more if Mourning, Mutombo, Hakeem was in the paint.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#132 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

Jta444 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Jta444 wrote:

36-13-9 in 2015, opposed to 30-11-9 in 2016. Sure, Lebron was more efficient in 2016, but he had Kyrie and Love to help take the offensive load off in 2016. In 2015 his #2 was Mozgov.

Which is what Lebron-ball is. Get Lebron his much coveted stats (he won’t even heave a halfcourt shot to protect his field goal percentage lol) leads to inefficient losing basketball. Teams figured that out quick Lebron wants his stats let him pound the ball let him get all the stats meanwhile his teammates become out of rhythm and cant do anything. And it shows in the results. In 20 years of his supposed dominance he only won 4. Magic won 5 in half the time haha. Not to mention Jordan etc. But at least Lebron is happy because he can brag “oh look at my stats i lead all stats in my team i had all triple doubles my team sucks” that’s the attitude of a loser not a winner. He’s this generation’s Wilt. All stats no substance. Not a winner like Russell/Jordan.

Also it proves more the point imagine he struggled vs the limited time Bogut was on the floor Andrew freakin Bogut lol what more if Mourning, Mutombo, Hakeem was in the paint.

Please stop. It's too late to pivot. You just lost the argument. Lebron was MORE efficient when Bogut was on the floor in the 2015 finals.

Games 1-3 Lebron was 401 FG%, 350 3pt%. Games 4-6 without Bogut saw Lebron with FG% of 393. and 272. from 3pt land.
Jta444
Sophomore

Post#133 » by Jta444 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Jta444 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Ah yes. The tried and true "Lebron won in 2016 because Bogut wasn't there to play 18.5mpg (in 4 games)" defence. There's no rebuttal to that classic argument. Just for giggles though, here's Lebron's stats in the 2015 finals vs 2016:

Please stop. It's too late to pivot. You just lost the argument. Lebron was MORE efficient when Bogut was on the floor in the 2015 finals.

Games 1-3 Lebron was 401 FG%, 350 3pt%. Games 4-6 without Bogut saw Lebron with FG% of 393. and 272. from 3pt land.

I dont even need to win the argument or seek to win because Lebron LOST that series lol. No matter how many arguments you make the results speak for themselves. Lebron can get all the stats he wants but it is proven to be a lesser brand of basketball not conducive to winning. It’s been proven before in Wilt’s time and proven now in Lebron’s. Lebron never dominated or swept any team in any finals. He never led an all time dominant team. He never led a dynasty. Lebron ball is inferior. Sure it gets you all the stats, but that’s what he wants you to believe. (“Look at my stats!”) That stats are the most important. But for us winners with a winning attitude like Russell, Jordan, etc. we only care about championships. 11 and 6 > 4. End of argument.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#134 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am

Jta444 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Jta444 wrote:

I dont even need to win the argument or seek to win because Lebron LOST that series lol. No matter how many arguments you make the results speak for themselves. Lebron can get all the stats he wants but it is proven to be a lesser brand of basketball not conducive to winning. It’s been proven before in Wilt’s time and proven now in Lebron’s. Lebron never dominated or swept any team in any finals. He never led an all time dominant team. He never led a dynasty. Lebron ball is inferior. Sure it gets you all the stats, but that’s what he wants you to believe. (“Look at my stats!”) That stats are the most important. But for us winners with a winning attitude like Russell, Jordan, etc. we only care about championships. 11 and 6 > 4. End of argument.

I'm glad you admitted that you don't really believe in any of the arguments you tried to advance using stats or logic. For you it's just about rings and narrative. For the more serious people the context behind those rings matters.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,518

Post#135 » by 70sFan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

How does that put him above Bill Russell?
Jta444
Sophomore

Post#136 » by Jta444 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Jta444 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Please stop. It's too late to pivot. You just lost the argument. Lebron was MORE efficient when Bogut was on the floor in the 2015 finals.

I'm glad you admitted that you don't really believe in any of the arguments you tried to advance using stats or logic. For you it's just about rings and narrative. For the more serious people the context behind those rings matters.

But Lebron is the most loser in the context argument. His only real argument is stats but we all know it’s because of inflated stats era and because he is motivated to play longer (since he only has 4 championships to Jordan’s 6 and because he needs stats to close the gap on Jordan). If Lebron played first before Jordan, Jordan would play longer too and probably win even more championships playing longer and going above 40k too since he is extra motivated to catch Lebron. (we all know Jordan is the one of the best competitors the game has ever seen)

In context department Lebron has the worst of any GOAT’s i mean jumping ship all the time and recruiting the best most in prime stars prime Wade prime Kyrie prime AD these are the best no.2 options in NBA history, playing in the weakest Eastern conference ever (1st round against the Hornets every year luxury). Dude never overcame any adversity or challenge instead he is always helped (draymond suspension, 2020 midyear break and bubble champs). How can you say context behind rings when dude formed the Heatles big 3 only to lose the 1st year and only win 2 (barely winning 2013) (imagine Jordan having Pippen then later teaming up with Barkley then later on Duncan how many more champs and stats he would accumulate as he can rest on defense) where is the dominance expected from any sport GOAT can you point it out because Jordan was popular worldwide even with non basketball fans meanwhile Lebron is mostly popular with only bball fans and statnerds DESPITE being in the age of the internet. Thank Jordan for making the world a WORLDWIDE game without him Jokic Doncic wouldnt be here
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,552

Post#137 » by 1993Playoffs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am

Wouldn’t this apply more to Russell?
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#138 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 am

1993Playoffs wrote:Wouldn’t this apply more to Russell?

Don't try and use logic. They'll just ignore you or move the goalposts.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#139 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:It was so obvious I didn't think I'd have to explain it. Do you want me to explain why KD and SGA shooting midrangers has utility too? (Hint: it involves 3s).

No it wasnt obvious kid you are just backtracking. If you were old enough to have watched 90s nba you would understand that the 3 point shot wasn’t considered a “good” shot and the top offensive players in that era were not focusing on the 3 ball other than guys like Reggie Miller, Glen Rice, Ray Allen, and some others. If Jordan played today that would be more of a focus and he would add it to his arsenal. He would still dominate with his mid range, post up, and an occasional 3 pointer. Plus he would average 8-10 free throws a game and he was a career 84% free throw shooter. Your trolling is changing nobody’s mind.

It's pretty silly to claim it's backtracking when I've explained it in dozens of threads, including ones you have participated in. I guess this just proves you don't read my posts, which means there's no point replying to you.

And its already been proven to you that when Jordan shot more 3s his 3 point percentage increased or he was more efficient. He only averaged 1.7 3 point attempts per game for his career, but the seasons in which he had the most 3 point field goal attempts were his highest 3 point percentage:

89/90
3 attempts per game
.38%

92/93
3 attempts per game
.35%

95/96
3.2 attempts per game
.43%

96/97
3 attempts per game
.37%

People have told you this before but you continue to ignore facts. It took me 5 minutes to gather this information, maybe in the future, you do the same;

- research
- facts
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#140 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
1993Playoffs wrote:Wouldn’t this apply more to Russell?

Don't try and use logic. They'll just ignore you or move the goalposts.

I just presented facts to you. How about you do some research if you want people to take you seriously. Your trolling is horrible.

Return to The General Board