Main reason Jordan is the GOAT

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,919

Re: Main reason Jordan is the GOAT 

Post#201 » by OriginalRed » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:22 am

fansse wrote:
OriginalRed wrote:
fansse wrote:Jordan didn't win ONE playoff series before Pippen lol

Lebron didn't win ONE playoff series before Larry Hughes.

See how dumb both those statements sound without context?

Larry Hughes joined the Cavs in LeBron’s third season. Pippen joined in Jordan’s 8.

You couldn't even be bothered to fact check this before you posted this blatant lie lol?
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,636

Post#202 » by knicksNOTslick » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 am

fansse wrote:
OriginalRed wrote:
fansse wrote:Jordan didn't win ONE playoff series before Pippen lol

Lebron didn't win ONE playoff series before Larry Hughes.

Larry Hughes joined the Cavs in LeBron’s third season. Pippen joined in Jordan’s 8.

Lebron fans are so desperate they are making up lies now. Jordan was drafted in 84. Pippen in 87. The maths don't make sense.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 457

Post#203 » by Hair Jordan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:06 am

Main reason Jordan is the GOAT? Because he’s the greatest player of all time. Main reason Lebron is not the GOAT? Because he’s not the greatest player of all time. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 457

Post#204 » by Hair Jordan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:08 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:
fansse wrote:
OriginalRed wrote:Lebron didn't win ONE playoff series before Larry Hughes.

Lebron fans are so desperate they are making up lies now. Jordan was drafted in 84. Pippen in 87. The maths don't make sense.

Pippen’s first season was 1987-88 which was Jordan’s 4th season. I swear this site is patrolled by 15 year old kids who try to wax intellectual on things they weren’t even alive to witness :lol:
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Post#205 » by OdomFan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:10 pm

Main reason he's the goat? leadership? its not about doing all the work on the court. It's about playing your respective role, and helping bring the best out of your teammates.

Michael helped a rookie coach with very little experience named Phil Jackson go down as arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game by accepting that triangle offense. That system brought the best out of him as a player and leader.

He within that great team system helped Scottie develop into a star player next to him by battling it out in team scrimmage practices a lot. Horace Grant became a solid number 3 along with him.

Toni Kukoc was already a decent player from overseas, but his time in Chicago elevated him to an even greater player that switched back and forth between starter, and 6th man of the year caliber.

The 1991-93, 1996-1997 are some of the greatest teams to ever step on the NBA court period, and a major part of that is because of the leadership that Michael Jordan brought to that team night in and night out. The 1998 team are the oldest team to win a ring for a reason. All in all. they earned it all together the right way in my book.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,335

Post#206 » by shi-woo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Michael Jordan is an all time great. I personally have him as number two all time- I'm definitely not one of those guys who says he'd be DeRozen if he played today.

But the talent level in the league is higher today. Look up and down a typical roster in today's NBA vs the 1990s- I really don't think there's any argument that this isn't the case. The game got more popular (in part due to Michael Jordan) both in the US and abroad. More people domestically and abroad became basketball players. The talent pool got deeper.

I don't know how people argue this, yet they do. Four teams were added from 1988 to 1989, with another two coming in 1995. That is a significant dilution of talent in a very short time frame: 4 teams in 2 years, 6 teams in 7 years. Meanwhile, the current NBA hasn't seen expansion in 20 years (and that was just one team), while also seeing a massive influx of international talent and even more talent with the G league. There's no comparison.

I get this logic, but I don't like the argument.

Teams and players didn't have to worry about the best player in the league back then just up and leaving their team. Sure there are no expansions these days, but what happened to CLE and TOR when Bosh and James bolted? They didn't exactly blow smoke up anyone's skirt the following years, and they were supposed to be the teams of the 2010's in the East :lol

Kawhii won a ring and left...
Kyrie demanded a trade from a team that made it to 3 strait finals and were the favorites to make it back.
The 2 best players of the generation have played on a combined 7 teams, and moved 8 different times...

The talent might be better right now, that is not arguable, but I don't like the argument because it's not like we don't experience something similar in the modern game.

Wolves, Pistons, Bulls, Pels, Kings, Hornets ect have all pretty much been trash for the entirety of the 2000's so far with a few decent seasons sprinkled in here and there. The idea that every game is a bloodbath in 2024 is simply not true. There are still 6 teams every year that are purposefully trying to lose games to tank. Something that didn't exist until Tim Duncan hit the draft boards. You see those old trades like how Celtics got McHale, Bulls Scotty, Lakers Magic, and players like Kobe and Franchise refusing to play for certain teams. Teams did NOT prioritize drafting and draft picks back then, and you saw those kind of lopsided trades all the time. The draft, tanking, and different ways of "competing" have changed. MJ didn't have to go against many teams that were purposefully trying to lose :lol:

Another point that I want to make, is your point has nothing to do with the argument. Unless MJ was beating those teams in the ECF and Finals, the bottom feeders don't really play a part in these stories. MJ was still smoking teams at the top of the conference with good talent. Reggies Pacers, Ewings Knicks, Paytons Sonics, Stock and Malone JAzz ect ect. These were still good teams reguardless of if the league had expansion drafts.

Go look up the standings from the 89/90 season. IT looks identical to what you would see now in the standings :lol: Both conferences had teams that were trash and won 15-30 games, and then each conference had 4-5 really solid teams. Every team that made the playoffs that year did it with a winning record. The Atlanta Hawks with Dominique, Doc, and Moses only won 41games and didn't even make the playoffs :lol:

I see no real difference in talent between teams that is worthy of bring attention to it as compared to the era players like LeBron grew up in, beating teams led of 5'7 IT, Joakim Noah, and Demar Derozen. Rosters back then really only went 7 deep, something that you might also notice is similar to how teams today really only go 7-8 deep. Just because we know the names of dudes like Luc Longley and Steve Kerr, doesn't change the fact that MJ had to play with a bunch of those stiffs too :lol:

Yes the talent between teams 15-30 is better now than it was back then. On teams 1-14? You would really have to dig deep to prove that argument
Jta444
Sophomore
And1: 201

Post#207 » by Jta444 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:31 pm

because he is the type of player who can make the STEAL (on karl malone) and then the SHOT (98 finals over bryon russell to win his 2ND three peat) to win the game

Compare to Lebron who can only do the STEAL/BLOCK but needed Kyrie to hit the tough shot to win the game
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#208 » by MavsDirk41 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:10 pm

NbaAllDay wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Michael Jordan is an all time great. I personally have him as number two all time- I'm definitely not one of those guys who says he'd be DeRozen if he played today.

But the talent level in the league is higher today. Look up and down a typical roster in today's NBA vs the 1990s- I really don't think there's any argument that this isn't the case. The game got more popular (in part due to Michael Jordan) both in the US and abroad. More people domestically and abroad became basketball players. The talent pool got deeper.

Jordan defeated the following teams in the finals:

Post-Kareem Lakers
Barkley/KJ Suns
Drexler Blazers
GP/Kemp Sonics
Stock/Malone Jazz

Those are some great teams in their own time, but all of them also had guys who'd never crack a playoff rotation today getting key minutes, even starter minutes. All of them had limited three point shooting which would make it harder to outpace the output a Jordan-based offense could put out.

Lets compare the talent level to what Lebron has faced, chronologically speaking:

Duncan/Gino/Parker Spurs
Dirk/Kidd Mavericks
KD/Westbrook/Harden Thunder
Later Spurs
Butler Heat

Oh, and the Warriors FOUR TIMES IN A ROW.

I'd personally argue that both versions of the Spurs were better than anything Jordan faced. Heck, from a pure talent standpoint you can probably put the Thunder there too.

And NONE of those teams hold a candle to the Warriors, a team prime Lebron had the fortune of running into FOUR TIMES.

You can say Jordan would have still gotten six titles than Lebron when faced with those opponents, but there isn't a solid body of proof of that when looking at the opponents he actually had to face.

What are you going off of to say the teams James faced were stronger competition? Stats like SRS and Overall Net Rating will say otherwise. Kidd was 38 and Caron Butler was injured in 2011. That Miami Heat team was missing their 3rd best player (Dragic) the entire series and their second best player (Bam) missed two games in the finals. That Miami team is the worst out of all the funals teams either player faced. Miami was playing Olynk and Meyers Leonard at center with Bam out.

The 2012 OKC team were young and the underdog by far. Golden St and San Antonio were legit but James played with two of the best players in the nba in Miami and the same in Cleveland. James played with more talent than Jordan. Pick whoever you want between the two but look at the other side of the spectrum.

This is where we probably dig a little deeper. The original comment just looking at Finals is also a fairly narrow scope.

No one should argue Miami were a strong team. It's not like it was a breeze for LA to make the Finals although it looked easier because LeBron played like the best player in the League alongside AD.

2011 a clear downside for Lebron that is obvious, but throwing out a few old ages is a bit dishonest to that Mavs team. They swept the defending champs and 4-1 the up and coming OKC. You can argue they are lower across MJs opponents if you wish but it is in bad faith the way it's described.

2012 I'd agree they were favourites. OkC again underrated by your explanation of them but sure.

2013 Wade and Bosh were not even close to 'best players in the league' anymore. Lebron needed a lot of monster games to drag them through. Ray Allen was also 37, 1 year Removed from Kidd for reference.

Similar above to 2014.

15 is unique with all the injuries I won't go there with time in mind.

16 to 18 GSW were better than any Team Jordan faced.

Now yes Lebron had 'more' help collectively because he played with more elite players. It doesn't mean he always had a 'better' team. Plenty of context goes into aging Wade, Love. Diminished role of a 3rd player on every single roster. Top heavy = less depth teams.

You could go back and forth about it but tldr

I could agree that LeBron had a better team at times, while also be confident that he played better teams at times too.

Which is why the team v team arguement is silly imo. Let's analyse what they did on the court and how they helped their teams rather than 'he had more help' narratives. Not saying that's what you are doing but it doesn't actually add value to how good a particular player is unless you extrapolate their individual impact specifically.

Lets look into the Bulls finals opponents:

1991: Magic was runner up to Jordan for league MVP that year. He was awesome that year. Worthy was still an all star level player and played well in the finals. They were big with Divac, Perkins, and Campbell. They had depth/role players with AC Green, Byron Scott, and Teagle. Great team.

1992: similar to the 2011 Mavs they were led by one all time super star in Drexler who was runner up to Jordan for league mvp that year. They were great defensively, rebounded well, and had depth. Terry Porter, Buck Williams, Jerome Kersey, Aine, Duckworth, and Cliff Robinson. This was a veteran team that was well coached too.

1993: Barkley won league mvp over Jordan that year. He was unstoppable in the regular season and finals. Prolly his best year in the league. KJ was a great point guard. Thunder Dan Majerle was the prototypical 3 and D player. Chambers, Ainge, and Dumas. They were an offensive juggernaut, not so great defensively.

1996: Kemp and Payton were a great duo. Payton garnered some mvp votes several years in the mid 90s. Kemp was one of the best power forwards in the league. Detlef Schrempf was a multi talented euro player who could do score, shoot the ball, pass, defend. Hawkins and McMillian were great defensively. They also had Sam Perkins.

97/98: Utah was awesome throughout the mid 90s. Malone won mvp in 97 and was runner up to Jordan in 98. Stockton was the best point guard in the league. They were a veteran team with some good role players in Hornacek, Ostertag, Russell, Eisley, Anderson, and Antoine Carr. They also had an all time great coach in Sloan.

Just like James, Jordan had help. James has played with more all star players, especially in their prime, but Jordan had a great sidekick in Pippen along with Rodmam, Kukoc, Horace Grant, and some really good role players. Other than the GS teams, i would put any of these teams up against the teams James faced.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#209 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:19 pm

One_and_Done wrote:Jordan would likely be a top 5 player if he played today, but I doubt anyone would consider him the GOAT. The 90s sucked compared to today's league.

Peak Jordan would be the MVP of the current NBA.
The only thing better about the current NBA players is their 3 point shooting.
Current 3 point shooters remove the help defenders that are needed to stop Jordan in the paint.
It is OK that Jordan waa not a good 3 point shooter as along as he is surrounded by 3 point shooters.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#210 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:24 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Jordan would likely be a top 5 player if he played today, but I doubt anyone would consider him the GOAT. The 90s sucked compared to today's league.

Current 3 point shooters remove the help defenders that are needed to stop Jordan in the paint.
It is OK that Jordan waa not a good 3 point shooter as along as he is surrounded by 3 point shooters.

I agree in the sense that I think overall comparing today's nba to MJ's he would be somewhere between 98%-105% as effective in today's era. The explosion of 3 pt shooting in the last 10 years wouldn't render him less effective by much if at all because I think he'd adapt(by becoming slightly better at it) and also the spacing and more lax rules on dribbling/traveling would also help him. So I think he'd win his 3-4 mvps in today's league as well.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,071

Post#211 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:25 pm

It's really a false narrative that Jordan was a bad 3 point shooter. What brought his average down was actually the seasons where he didn't shoot them. He would average 1 or less a game probably had some half court heaves at the buzzard and averaged 20 percent. When Jordan shot 3 or more 3 pointers per game he shot an average percentage even before those seasons they moved up the 3 point line, it's just that most seasons he didn't shoot them at all. He would be an average to above average 3 point shooter in today's game. Larry Bird was a good 3 point shooter but in the years he shot 1 or less per game his average was around 20% as well.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,701

Post#212 » by NbaAllDay » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:28 pm

MavsDirk41 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

What are you going off of to say the teams James faced were stronger competition? Stats like SRS and Overall Net Rating will say otherwise. Kidd was 38 and Caron Butler was injured in 2011. That Miami Heat team was missing their 3rd best player (Dragic) the entire series and their second best player (Bam) missed two games in the finals. That Miami team is the worst out of all the funals teams either player faced. Miami was playing Olynk and Meyers Leonard at center with Bam out.

The 2012 OKC team were young and the underdog by far. Golden St and San Antonio were legit but James played with two of the best players in the nba in Miami and the same in Cleveland. James played with more talent than Jordan. Pick whoever you want between the two but look at the other side of the spectrum.

This is where we probably dig a little deeper. The original comment just looking at Finals is also a fairly narrow scope.

No one should argue Miami were a strong team. It's not like it was a breeze for LA to make the Finals although it looked easier because LeBron played like the best player in the League alongside AD.

2011 a clear downside for Lebron that is obvious, but throwing out a few old ages is a bit dishonest to that Mavs team. They swept the defending champs and 4-1 the up and coming OKC. You can argue they are lower across MJs opponents if you wish but it is in bad faith the way it's described.

2012 I'd agree they were favourites. OkC again underrated by your explanation of them but sure.

2013 Wade and Bosh were not even close to 'best players in the league' anymore. Lebron needed a lot of monster games to drag them through. Ray Allen was also 37, 1 year Removed from Kidd for reference.

Similar above to 2014.

Now yes Lebron had 'more' help collectively because he played with more elite players. It doesn't mean he always had a 'better' team. Plenty of context goes into aging Wade, Love. Diminished role of a 3rd player on every single roster. Top heavy = less depth teams.

I could agree that LeBron had a better team at times, while also be confident that he played better teams at times too.

Which is why the team v team arguement is silly imo. Let's analyse what they did on the court and how they helped their teams rather than 'he had more help' narratives. Not saying that's what you are doing but it doesn't actually add value to how good a particular player is unless you extrapolate their individual impact specifically.

1991: Magic was runner up to Jordan for league MVP that year. He was awesome that year. Worthy was still an all star level player and played well in the finals. They were big with Divac, Perkins, and Campbell. They had depth/role players with AC Green, Byron Scott, and Teagle. Great team.

1992: similar to the 2011 Mavs they were led by one all time super star in Drexler who was runner up to Jordan for league mvp that year. They were great defensively, rebounded well, and had depth. Terry Porter, Buck Williams, Jerome Kersey, Aine, Duckworth, and Cliff Robinson. This was a veteran team that was well coached too.

1993: Barkley won league mvp over Jordan that year. He was unstoppable in the regular season and finals. Prolly his best year in the league. KJ was a great point guard. Thunder Dan Majerle was the prototypical 3 and D player. Chambers, Ainge, and Dumas. They were an offensive juggernaut, not so great defensively.

1996: Kemp and Payton were a great duo. Payton garnered some mvp votes several years in the mid 90s. Kemp was one of the best power forwards in the league. Detlef Schrempf was a multi talented euro player who could do score, shoot the ball, pass, defend. Hawkins and McMillian were great defensively. They also had Sam Perkins.

97/98: Utah was awesome throughout the mid 90s. Malone won mvp in 97 and was runner up to Jordan in 98. Stockton was the best point guard in the league. They were a veteran team with some good role players in Hornacek, Ostertag, Russell, Eisley, Anderson, and Antoine Carr. They also had an all time great coach in Sloan.

Just like James, Jordan had help. James has played with more all star players, especially in their prime, but Jordan had a great sidekick in Pippen along with Rodmam, Kukoc, Horace Grant, and some really good role players. Other than the GS teams, i would put any of these teams up against the teams James faced.

Anyone saying Jordan's finals were easy are silly. I don't disagree there were some strong teams. However I would take the 17/18 GSW over anything MJ faced fairly convincingly. 16 likely too. Spurs 14 also very slept on.

The only reason that any of this matters is if you claim Lebron had more help, it only matters comparatively to what they faced. Outside of 11 there is no Finals he should have won (argument for 15 if no injuries) and In almost all other cases unless he goes supernova they don't win 16 (+ a few things that went there way)

So the whole finals opponent thin is silly because there are plenty of factors
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#213 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:30 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

It's really a false narrative that Jordan was a bad 3 point shooter. What brought his average down was actually the seasons where he didn't shoot them. He would average 1 or less a game probably had some half court heaves at the buzzard and averaged 20 percent. When Jordan shot 3 or more 3 pointers per game he shot an average percentage even before those seasons they moved up the 3 point line, it's just that most seasons he didn't shoot them at all. He would be an average to above average 3 point shooter in today's game. Larry Bird was a good 3 point shooter but in the years he shot 1 or less per game his average was around 20% as well.

Jordan only had one decent 3 point shooting year without the shortenned 3 pont line.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,071

Post#214 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:35 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

Jordan only had one decent 3 point shooting year without the shortenned 3 pont line.

And the rest were all 1 or less per game which basically means he didn't shoot them. If there's 2 seconds left and he throws up a half court buzzard beater and it misses which it usually will it counts against him. He wasn't sitting there trying to nail 3's as part of the offense. Again Larry Bird nobody calls him a bad 3 point shooter but in the years he shot 1 or less he had averages of 20% like Jordan did. That doesn't mean he was incapable of shooting them. Do you think he just magically could shoot them that one year but not the others? The way the offense was set up was not for him to shoot 3s. Find me anyone that shot 1 or less on average per game and I bet their averages are low. The more he shot the more the better the percentage, he just didn't shoot them very often.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#215 » by MavsDirk41 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:41 pm

NbaAllDay wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:

Similar above to 2014.

Anyone saying Jordan's finals were easy are silly. I don't disagree there were some strong teams. However I would take the 17/18 GSW over anything MJ faced fairly convincingly. 16 likely too. Spurs 14 also very slept on.

The only reason that any of this matters is if you claim Lebron had more help, it only matters comparatively to what they faced. Outside of 11 there is no Finals he should have won (argument for 15 if no injuries) and In almost all other cases unless he goes supernova they don't win 16 (+ a few things that went there way)

So the whole finals opponent thin is silly because there are plenty of factors

Minus the 2020 Miami Heat (because of injuries) im not saying he faced weak opponents at all. I agree that the Warriors with Durant were a juggernaut. I would love to see the 96 Bulls face them. James has has some great finals as Jordan has had some great finals. Ive seen all 16 of these finals.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#216 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:43 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

And the rest were all 1 or less per game which basically means he didn't shoot them. If there's 2 seconds left and he throws up a half court buzzard beater and it misses which it usually will it counts against him. He wasn't sitting there trying to nail 3's as part of the offense. Again Larry Bird nobody calls him a bad 3 point shooter but in the years he shot 1 or less he had averages of 20% like Jordan did. That doesn't mean he was incapable of shooting them. Do you think he just magically could shoot them that one year but not the others? The way the offense was set up was not for him to shoot 3s. Find me anyone that shot 1 or less on average per game and I bet their averages are low.

Don’t waste Jordan by having him shoot 3s which is not the strength of his game. But surround Jordan with better 3 point shooting teamtes than he had in his own time.Give Jordan Curry and a center that sets screens for Curry and give Jodan a pair of fowards that must be gurded for open corner 3s and you have an unstoppable offense.
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 604

Post#217 » by Chessboxer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:29 am

Archx wrote:
Chessboxer wrote:MJ would average 40, quite easily if he wanted too. The amount of spacing in todays' league, MJ would have a freeway to the rim. Also with MJs' ability to cause turnovers (3X steals leader), he would be piling up points in transition.

If you forget all the double or triple teams and blitzes... sure. But in a real world it doesn't always go like that. Otherwise nr1 scorer in the league right now would also average over 40ppg. If anything i would argue he could have potentially averaged more assists than anyone rather than points.

I'll concede that doubes/triples/blitzes are an issue of course, but its nothing MJ hasn't dealt with in his career. If Harden can average 35ppg in this league, I'm quite certain MJ could average 40.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,570

Post#218 » by One_and_Done » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:30 am

ChipotleWest wrote:

And only hit them when wide open using his slow release.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,570

Post#219 » by One_and_Done » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:44 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:

I agree in the sense that I think overall comparing today's nba to MJ's he would be somewhere between 98%-105% as effective in today's era. The explosion of 3 pt shooting in the last 10 years wouldn't render him less effective by much if at all because I think he'd adapt(by becoming slightly better at it) and also the spacing and more lax rules on dribbling/traveling would also help him. So I think he'd win his 3-4 mvps in today's league as well.

The problem with saying Jordan would be 105% as effective, even if we accepted it for the sake of argument, is that today's league is 200-300% as good as Jordan's era. Even if he ends up similarly impactful after trading off his strengths and weaknesses, he'll still be less impactful in the aggregate because of the improved quality of the league

I'm not a Jordan hater, I moved him down my all-time list slowly and reluctantly. Even now, with him nominally in 4th place, I'm worried I've grossly overrated him based on nostalgia.

I agree that the man with the ball is the one you least need to be a 3pt shooter... but boy, it would help if he could shoot 3s. I also look around the league and ask "who is the archetype for MJ?" Guys who handle the ball have to be able to run the offence. Jordan showed he couldn't do that when they played him at PG. The offense was meh, even for the clogged toilet era of bball. Maybe he could run plays sometimes, but he can't run a team like SGA. As discussed Shai also can hit 3s, which activates his drive and mirange game by creating the spacing he needs for separation. With Jordan you can give him more cushion and hedge.

I think Wade is a good archetype, but Wade would have reduced effectiveness in the modern game for the exact same reasons.

Jordan is a great player, a legend, etc, but I have to be honest and say I can't see him getting GOAT hype if he played today.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,293

Post#220 » by TheMartian » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:09 am

Now i know that One_and_Done is just a troll, and it's all captured in this thread.

Kawhi better in all facets than Jordan?
SGA better than Jordan?
Kobe wouldn't be a top 10 player in the league today? (and I'm a Celtic fan)
Jordan would only be top 5 at best today?

LOLOL

Return to The General Board