Main reason Jordan is the GOAT

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,097

Re: Main reason Jordan is the GOAT 

Post#41 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

therealbig3 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
FuShengTHEGreat wrote:Love how EVERY SINGLE Jordan Jockers conveniently skip over the 95 playoffs because some other team were the ones ushering he and Chicago out the playoffs*.

* denotes "Wahhhh...Jordan was so outta shape Bulls team doctors had to hoist him in a wheelchair before and after games"

So you want to ignore the 6 other championships and focus on one series loss where he missed a full year then all but 17 games in the season? Lebron doesn't get enough of this scrutiny with an eye glass.

Ok I'll even give you that one with Jordan, why does he still have more rings than any of the GOAT contenders since Russell? Lebron played longer, why isn't he at least tied? Not even one less LOL!

It’s a team game, wtf. Nobody counts rings like this, it’s nonsensical. Jordan left his team, they didn’t replace him with anyone of significance, and they won 55 games, won a playoff series, and went game 7 of the second round.

Tell me ANY of LeBron’s teams that could do that without him. I’ll wait.

Also if we’re going to talk about competition, we should talk about the absolute weak sauce competition Jordan faced in the playoffs. Both from an individual standpoint and from a team standpoint. Especially the mid to late 90s, with a record rate of league expansion and watering down of talent.

Sure I want you list all all of Jordan's tough opponents but also let's do Lebron's tough opponents in the East where he had a cakewalk. Then when he got to the Finals he was 3-6 (before he joined the Lakers).

Jordan had Knicks Pacers Magic that's not a cakewalk. Jazz in the Finals two years in a row Malone and Stockton was weak sauce? Tell me you don't know 90's basketball without saying it.
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,858

Post#42 » by Iwasawitness » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
So you want to ignore the 6 other championships and focus on one series loss where he missed a full year then all but 17 games in the season? Lebron doesn't get enough of this scrutiny with an eye glass.

Ok I'll even give you that one with Jordan, why does he still have more rings than any of the GOAT contenders since Russell? Lebron played longer, why isn't he at least tied? Not even one less LOL!

It’s a team game, wtf. Nobody counts rings like this, it’s nonsensical. Jordan left his team, they didn’t replace him with anyone of significance, and they won 55 games, won a playoff series, and went game 7 of the second round.

Also if we’re going to talk about competition, we should talk about the absolute weak sauce competition Jordan faced in the playoffs. Both from an individual standpoint and from a team standpoint. Especially the mid to late 90s, with a record rate of league expansion and watering down of talent.

Sure I want you list all all of Jordan's tough opponents but also let's do Lebron's tough opponents in the East where he had a cakewalk. Then when he got to the Finals he was 3-9 (before he joined the Lakers).

Jordan had Knicks Pacers Magic that's not a cakewalk. Jazz in the Finals two years in a row Malone and Stockton was weak sauce? Tell me you don't know 90's basketball without saying it.

When your team is significantly better than the competition… yeah it kind of is.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#43 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Sure I want you list all all of Jordan's tough opponents but also let's do Lebron's tough opponents in the East where he had a cakewalk. Then when he got to the Finals he was 3-9 (before he joined the Lakers).

When your team is significantly better than the competition… yeah it kind of is.

Well at some point when you're the greatest basketball player of all time you're going to beat some teams, without having to run to other teams. That's what Jordan did, and the later is what Lebron did.

What you guys are trying to say is because Jordan dominated the 90's so much, the 90's sucked. No no no, Jordan dominated the 90's so much, because he's the GOAT. 90's had plenty of all time great players that's a failed argument.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,573

Post#44 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

therealbig3 wrote:I’m all about smacking down the Jordan mythologizing, LeBron is clearly the GOAT imo. I have Jordan probably 3rd or 4th, depending on how I feel about Russell.

But the guy would clearly be the best player in the league today imo, with LeBron no longer in his prime. Maybe Jokic would have a case, but I’d go Jordan. Jordan WAS a monster, no doubt about that. Not the untouchable myth 90s heads think, but still legendary.

I'm of 2 minds about it whether he'd really be #1 today. Who is the modern archetype for Jordan? It's not Shai, because Shai can hit 3s, which opens up his drive game and keeps defenders honest. Shai also can run your offense.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,440

Post#45 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

One_and_Done wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Jordan would likely be a top 5 player if he played today, but I doubt anyone would consider him the GOAT. The 90s sucked compared to today's league.

Jordan would be Lebron's daddy.

If Jordan were in the East with Lebron oooooooooooooh man Lebron might not have made a Finals until he joined the Lakers.

Jordan wouldn't even be better than prime Kawhi.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Troll better next time or follow a different sport

Basketball isn't for you
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#46 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

One_and_Done wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:I’m all about smacking down the Jordan mythologizing, LeBron is clearly the GOAT imo. I have Jordan probably 3rd or 4th, depending on how I feel about Russell.

But the guy would clearly be the best player in the league today imo, with LeBron no longer in his prime. Maybe Jokic would have a case, but I’d go Jordan. Jordan WAS a monster, no doubt about that. Not the untouchable myth 90s heads think, but still legendary.

I'm of 2 minds about it whether he'd really be #1 today. Who is the modern archetype for Jordan? It's not Shai, because Shai can hit 3s, which opens up his drive game and keeps defenders honest. Shai also can run your offense.

Jordan could run an offense just fine, now I know you don't know MJ.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#47 » by therealbig3 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Jordan had Knicks Pacers Magic that's not a cakewalk.

Idk, he played and beat plenty of teams that are right up there with anyone Jordan faced in the East. Plenty of 50 and 60 win teams.

I mean let’s be honest here, Jordan wasn’t getting out of the East until the toughest competition got old and injured (Celtics and Pistons)…and when he finally got out of the East, he went up against another 80s juggernaut that was old and injured (Lakers). I mean the other teams he beat in the Finals were good teams (Blazers, Suns, Sonics, Jazz) but nothing amazing and certainly not close to what LeBron has faced. The toughest East competition Jordan faced in the 90s were the Knicks and Pacers…again, good teams, not anything that crazy though. Is there any evidence they were any better than the 2010s Celtics, Bulls, Raptors, Hawks? Or the 07 Pistons?
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,143

Post#48 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

KembaWalker wrote:
FuShengTHEGreat wrote:Love how EVERY SINGLE Jordan Jockers conveniently skip over the 95 playoffs because some other team were the ones ushering he and Chicago out the playoffs*.

* denotes "Wahhhh...Jordan was so outta shape Bulls team doctors had to hoist him in a wheelchair before and after games"

might have something to do with that 3 peat thing he did after

Hol up. Wasn't Game 6 at home vs Orlando in the 1995 playoffs a "must win" game for Jordan and his Bulls?

Regarding must win games, i find it quite amusing how he goes from 1993 to 1997.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,531

Post#49 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

Why is the troll recognition on this site so poor. People, he said it in his first sentence:

There’s one thing about Jordan and the Bulls championship run that nobody ever talks about or even remembers; they won every game they HAD to win. Every MUST WIN game was won.

This is true of literally every team that's ever won a championship, and OP knows this (or he's just Magic Johnson).
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#50 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

therealbig3 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Only because he couldn’t have an all time great gift wrapped to him like Jordan, right?

Jordan made Pippen not the other way around, make no doubt about that.

Feel like you’re a LeBron hater that wasn’t actually around in the 90s to know enough to talk about this.

Pippen being “made” by Jordan is one of the most hilariously incorrect statements ever.

I watched all the 90's I don't think most Lebron homers did or they wouldn't say Lebron's the GOAT, if Pippen was so great why didn't he win an MVP or two or maybe a Finals MVP? Because he was behind the guy who won all of those things. He was a very good #2, but went on his own with the Rockets and won nothing.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,959

Post#51 » by KyRo23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

Isn't this your 3rd LeBron/Jordan thread this week? Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,858

Post#52 » by Iwasawitness » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Well at some point when you're the greatest basketball player of all time you're going to beat some teams, without having to run to other teams. That's what Jordan did, and the later is what Lebron did.

What you guys are trying to say is because Jordan dominated the 90's so much, the 90's sucked. No no no, Jordan dominated the 90's so much, because he's the GOAT. 90's had plenty of all time great players that's a failed argument.

I’m not sure where you’re getting this idea that LeBron avoided great teams when his finals competition is far superior to what Jordan had to face. It’s funny that Jordan’s never been able to beat superior teams. LeBron on the other hand has two finals wins as the underdog, upset the pistons in 07 via the greatest playoff performance of all time, and pulled off the rare feat of advancing to the finals in 18 while beating every single team with a greater SRS rating than his. But yeah, sure, LeBron was the one who avoided facing great teams, not Jordan.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,573

Post#53 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

Jordan could run an offense just fine, now I know you don't know MJ.

No. He couldn't. Shai runs the 3rd best offense in today's supercharged offensive era. Jordan's ill fated time at point guard wasn't even a good offense for that era.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#54 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

FuShengTHEGreat wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

might have something to do with that 3 peat thing he did after

Hol up. Wasn't Game 6 at home vs Orlando in the 1995 playoffs a "must win" game for Jordan and his Bulls?

Regarding must win games, i find it quite amusing how he goes from 1993 to 1997.

Are you saying Jordan's not human and not allowed to be the best player on a team and lose a series? Why is it allowed for Lebron as many times as Jordan won in the Finals to lose in the Finals? That does not compute.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,440

Post#55 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

I’m not sure where you’re getting this idea that LeBron avoided great teams when his finals competition is far superior to what Jordan had to face. It’s funny that Jordan’s never been able to beat superior teams. LeBron on the other hand has two finals wins as the underdog, upset the pistons in 07 via the greatest playoff performance of all time, and pulled off the rare feat of advancing to the finals in 18 while beating every single team with a greater SRS rating than his. But yeah, sure, LeBron was the one who avoided facing great teams, not Jordan.

You're a LeBron fan and you don't even know what his greatest playoff performance is.

It's not game 5 vs the Pistons.
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,143

Post#56 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

ChipotleWest wrote:

What does LBJ have to do with any of this? Where have I said anything about him? LOL.... I'm not someone who gets into these Shannon vs Stephen A Smith LBJ vs MJ debates. It matters not to me who people think is better between the two.

I'm just asking as to why what I mentioned gets skipped over by the OP and the bulk of his fanbase. Wasn't game 6 at home a must win game?
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#57 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

therealbig3 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Jordan had Knicks Pacers Magic that's not a cakewalk.

Idk, he played and beat plenty of teams that are right up there with anyone Jordan faced in the East. Plenty of 50 and 60 win teams.

I mean let’s be honest here, Jordan wasn’t getting out of the East until the toughest competition got old and injured (Celtics and Pistons)…and when he finally got out of the East, he went up against another 80s juggernaut that was old and injured (Lakers). I mean the other teams he beat in the Finals were good teams (Blazers, Suns, Sonics, Jazz) but nothing amazing and certainly not close to what LeBron has faced. The toughest East competition Jordan faced in the 90s were the Knicks and Pacers…again, good teams, not anything that crazy though. Is there any evidence they were any better than the 2010s Celtics, Bulls, Raptors, Hawks? Or the 07 Pistons?

Oh so you don't know when it comes to Lebron but you know everything about Jordan. You don't know that Lebron was the only All NBA player in the East from 2011-2018 except Derrick Rose. You don't know he only had to get through teams like the Raptors. Funny how you don't know that but know everything about Jordan.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#58 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

FuShengTHEGreat wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

What does LBJ have to do with any of this? Where have I said anything about him? LOL.... I'm not someone who gets into these Shannon vs Stephen A Smith LBJ vs MJ debates. It matters not to me who people think is better between the two.

I'm just asking as to why what I mentioned gets skipped over by the OP and the bulk of his fanbase. Wasn't game 6 at home a must win game?

Who cares if he lost a series? He's a human being, since you won't accept that he was out for nearly two full years ok he lost a series he's human no one cares but you not even his biggest haters bring that up.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#59 » by therealbig3 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

Jordan is a better version of Kobe. They were essentially twins with Jordan being a bit better. Play style, shot selection, BBIQ, mentality, it’s all basically the same.

Would you say Kobe could “run” an offense? I mean yeah, he ran an effective offense but his way of running it was so that he was the guy getting all the shots. Which is fine, he was a great shot maker. It’s the same thing with Jordan. The actual PG for the Bulls if anything was Pippen.

LeBron otoh is up there with Magic and Nash as one of the greatest overall offensive minds ever as a primary ball handler…while being able to score in a way they could only dream of.
Jta444
Sophomore
And1: 201

Post#60 » by Jta444 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

One_and_Done wrote:Jordan would likely be a top 5 player if he played today, but I doubt anyone would consider him the GOAT. The 90s sucked compared to today's league.

Lol when an old Draymond is the toughest, most physical player in the league it tells you alot about the current state of the league - soft entitled men with too much money on their hands

Return to The General Board