Is Joe Mazzula a good coach or not really?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DLoMor
Junior
And1: 491

Is Joe Mazzula a good coach or not really? 

Post#1 » by DLoMor » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am

What do you guys think of him as a coach? Is he good, or the Celtics are just good and he doesn’t have an affect. What are Celtics and non Celtics fans opinions of him.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Is Joe Mazzula a good coach or not really? 

Post#2 » by Up-And-Coming » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

Don’t know too much about him but from what I’ve seen he’s pretty good. Not an elite coach but not a bottom half coach imo. Looks like he studies basketball and other coaching styles and is young enough to relate with his players and improve with more experience
SweaterBae
Rookie
And1: 1,572

Post#3 » by SweaterBae » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am

He'd be a much better coach if he had Nikola Jokic.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,089
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#4 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

This the 3rd bad coach of the Celtics Jay duo?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,922

Post#5 » by AussieCeltic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

I think he’s been great this season. All coaches make mistakes, but he tends to learn from his quickly.

His team currently has the best record in the league and secured the #1 seed a month before the season ended.

It hasn’t been said much, but the Celtics have been resting players for the last few weeks and still winning at a high clip (sans the Hawks b2b losses). Each of the top 6 have been in and out of the lineup to make sure they’re ready to go for the playoffs.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
OnlyTheTruth
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#6 » by OnlyTheTruth » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Take away Tatum, Brown etc and give him bellow .500 team..he would grt fired in a week
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,008

Post#7 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am

Second Row Joe

(I just wanted to say it)
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,362

Post#8 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 am

Potential to be a great coach, but I thought it was a strange hire for a win-now team when it happened.
This season he has a lot more experience, and has shown huge improvement I'd say (better assistants probably deserves some credit too).
Still a bit risky as THE guy for such a loaded team and title co-favorite, but a more inspired choice than say Doc Rivers or something like that and could be a home run long term.
But right this very moment I'd say he's probably just average to above average, though he'll be more properly graded in the playoffs...

But can we say definitively already that Brad Stevens has stolen the mantle of best GM/executive from Ujiri/West/Presti/whoever? He's been aggressive when he didn't need to be and come up roses and it doesn't get talked about enough.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,342

Post#9 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am

I think he's very good and still learning while at it.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,953

Post#10 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

Tough to say how much credit he deserves or doesn't deserve on that team. Would any coach have them with the best record or not? No way of knowing. But I think many thought adding both Holiday and Porzingis would put them over the top talent wise and so far it's been right none of us were even considering the coach. That said he hasn't screwed anything up so that's a positive.

Like for example Eric Spo didn't really earn his money to me when he had Lebron Wade and Bosh but when he made these two Finals in the 2020's that good coaching.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#11 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am

is the winningest head coach over the past two seasons good? Yes, clearly. But don't ask Celtics fans. I'm sure most long for the days when Stevens and Udoka were coaching despite similar end of game issues that they miraculously escaped getting any blame for.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,794

Post#12 » by jkvonny » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:I think he's very good and still learning while at it.

This
Deshaun Taden
Junior
And1: 411

Post#13 » by Deshaun Taden » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:is the winningest head coach over the past two seasons good? Yes, clearly. But don't ask Celtics fans. I'm sure most long for the days when Stevens and Udoka were coaching despite similar end of game issues that they miraculously escaped getting any blame for.

Udoka is definitely a better coach, there's no question on that. Udoka would still be coaching the Cs if he didn't cuck the owner.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,490

Post#14 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:I think he's very good and still learning while at it.

Like the whole team, will be judged more based on our playoff performance.

Right now it’s tough to tell whether some of the things that frustrate fans are poor coaching or simply Joe using our position to play mad scientist.

I think he might be sneaky good, but it is based off my belief he a doing an awful lot of tinkering right now, leaving the players to have growth in tough situations and keeping some cards close to his chest for the playoffs. If I’m wrong on that then there are a number of worrying signs.

However regardless of the lineup we have on court, each player looks clear on their role in offense and defense and everyone plays together. There is clarity of message and the players are even talking his language now. These are the signs of a good coach.

We’ll see I guess.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#15 » by Mavrelous » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

Kristaps Prozingis was never this good of a player at any point of his career, is it just KP being healthy and motivated? Maybe, but he's playing exactly to his strengths on both ends.
The team looks dominant, every player is maximized to his best potetnial, while playing amazing defense, the roster is good, but Bucks also have a good roster and Nuggets also have a good roster they aren't playing as good as the Celtics.
He's a great coach IMO, another thing in his favour, Celtics have the best FO in the business, they don't hire bums, the fact they chose him is also very telling.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,490

Post#16 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

Deshaun Taden wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:is the winningest head coach over the past two seasons good? Yes, clearly. But don't ask Celtics fans. I'm sure most long for the days when Stevens and Udoka were coaching despite similar end of game issues that they miraculously escaped getting any blame for.

Udoka is definitely a better coach, there's no question on that. Udoka would still be coaching the Cs if he didn't cuck the owner.

I wouldn’t say that’s definitive. Ime had Rob Williams at his best and an extremely switchable team to implement his defense that got to the finals, but it was a Butler 3 shot away from falling short of the finals which would have left him about the same result as Joe.

His offense was pretty ordinary. I think Ime was good for us at the right time to come in and yell at the Jays but a bit of a one trick pony. Switch everything and force above the break 3s. We really could have done with more defensive scheme flexibility, especially in the finals.

IMO Mazzulla is a better Xs and Os coach and a different thinker. It might end up being the best thing for us to have a year of Ime to slap our guys around then Joe. Impossible to know for sure though.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,756

Post#17 » by Calvin Klein » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am

Game 7 of the nba finals. Boston vs Denver.

Jokic shoots a 40 footer at the buzzer and it bounces 3 times on the rim before finally going in. Mazzulla is a terrible coach and should be fired.

The shot bounces 3 times and finally drops out. Boston wins. Mazzulla is a great coach and will get into the HOF.

That’s how it works for most people.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#18 » by zimpy27 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am

I think he will be the reason the Celtics don't win this year
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,802

Post#19 » by UcanUwill » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:03 am

zimpy27 wrote:I think he will be the reason the Celtics don't win this year

I think the reason will be Serbian dude who drank a lot of Pepsi, but then decided to not drink Pepsi anymore.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,258

Post#20 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 am

It is impossible to say. When you have such a good team, you just have to make simple adjustments. If he does not make the finals this playoffs I consider him a below-average coach. His team has so much playoff experience, skills, and defense. It's his job not to screw it up, like being outcoached by Spo.

Return to The General Board