The Only Way to Solve this Gambling x NBA/Other Sports "Problem"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,756

The Only Way to Solve this Gambling x NBA/Other Sports "Problem" 

Post#1 » by durden_tyler » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

... is to allow the players to bet. BUT ONLY if it involves their game (and stats) and only if it's for the positive outcome (Winning the game, betting on their OVER totals (points, rebounds, assists etc)). This should also be made transparent, they declare it before the game with the official betting receipt and we'll watch these players now really play hard. LOL.

Maybe some will also kill each other, if it's like a $1M bet. LOL
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Re: The Only Way to Solve this Gambling x NBA/Other Sports "Problem" 

Post#2 » by zimpy27 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

This both solves nothing and creates more problems
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Post#3 » by nomansland » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

The last thing you want is players betting on their own games. It creates too many problematic motivations. Imagine a guy bets on his own # of rebounds- he could fight his own teammates to get the last one, but to the detriment of the team because they needed him to run out in transition. It's just one of thousands of imaginable scenarios.

Even allowing them to bet on other games...they're all friends. Imagine a phone call, "hey I bet $20k you're getting 3 3's. Do me a solid and I'll get you back later."

Bad idea with massive potential to pollute the game.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,221

Post#4 » by lambchop » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

I wouldn't solve much. I'm pretty sure players do exactly what that Raptors player did, however, none of them are dumb enough to place the bets themselves. Just have your friends and other members of your entourage place the bets. You essentially keep the wealth in the family and spread it among friends who will be grateful for it.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,804

Post#5 » by UcanUwill » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

I hate Westbrooks shot selection already, I dont want him to bet on his over.

This does not solve any problem, rather just makes problem not illegal, so we would not have hastle in dealing with consequences. betting on yourself, leaking inside information, fixing results, insider trading, all that stuff is illegal for a reason and it is really not hard at all to follow the rules. Cheaters will always exist, that is just how it is, but you do not make betting on your own game legal, because it obviously creates ridiculous problems. You could argue that betting on plain game outcome and only when its positive, maybe that does not create many problems, but betting on particular stats, it obviously compromises the game, because players will check to the court simply to chase that goal instead of doing their real objectives.

Sport Bet booking job also instantly becomes harder, since they need to adjust odds, just because guy x announced he bet on his rebound over, and it instantly sways the betting. Bookies would never allow such a thing, and they are too much of a financial partners to ignore.
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 938

Post#6 » by rapluva » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am

Your thought sounds interesting.. but then there are so many other scenarios where players will find loop holes and mess with the system.

Firstly keep in mind.. these betting companies are making a stink of the situation because it's not in their favor.. if they made money off of it and there was a player involved they would keep their mouths shut...because they are about making money for themselves.

Jontay Porter will be protected by the players union.. NBA will do an investigation and find nothing..it's not that they can pull up Jontay Porter putting the bet on himself..as a Raptor fan.. dude is trying to stick in the league..he already got a guaranteed contract overseas and gave it up to try and make an NBA roster.. doesn't make sense to jeopardize that.. plus..his brother could just put his hand in his own pocket and give him the amount he would have won by laying down that bet..

I think it's the betting companies that are hurt..that some fans out there figured out how to make some money..
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#7 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 pm

The only way to solve gambling: ban gambling.
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,442

Post#8 » by Rendei » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 pm

lambchop wrote:I wouldn't solve much. I'm pretty sure players do exactly what that Raptors player did, however, none of them are dumb enough to place the bets themselves. Just have your friends and other members of your entourage place the bets. You essentially keep the wealth in the family and spread it among friends who will be grateful for it.

I doubt this. Based on that story, the maximum bet that most sites would allow you to place on a prop like that is $1,000. That's chump change in comparison to the NBA contracts that these guys are fighting for by playing well, not to mention the risk involved.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,026

Post#9 » by cgf » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 pm

Lifetime bans for anyone betting on their sport, otherwise you'll end up with a Tonali.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#10 » by UcanUwill » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 pm

rapluva wrote:Your thought sounds interesting.. but then there are so many other scenarios where players will find loop holes and mess with the system.

They would not need to find new loop hole, because OP suggestion fixes nothing. These guys fixed the game, their stats, whatever, not because they wanted to bet... I mean, ok, you allow them to bet on their overs... So? He would have still bet on unders which is in either scenario equally illegal.

If that Porter guy was indeed leaking and fixing his stats, it wasnt because he had urge to bet on his basketball game, he just wanted his people to profit.

rapluva wrote:
Jontay Porter will be protected by the players union.. NBA will do an investigation and find nothing..it's not that they can pull up Jontay Porter putting the bet on himself..as a Raptor fan.. dude is trying to stick in the league..he already got a guaranteed contract overseas and gave it up to try and make an NBA roster.. doesn't make sense to jeopardize that.. plus..his brother could just put his hand in his own pocket and give him the amount he would have won by laying down that bet..

I think it's the betting companies that are hurt..that some fans out there figured out how to make some money..

Obviously betting companies getting hurt, because they fixing the game to win money from them. But do not underestimate their power, from my understanding, they find their evidence almost every time. We can argue that evidence is not conclusive, we cant really prove Porter faked an injury there, but if they find any connection between Porter and the people who placed the bets, from my understanding, it will be enough to put the hammer down on the guy.

Betting companies getting hurt, but we literally having a guy who fixing his unders in a game, so every fan of that league is getting hurt, let not pretend the only guys getting the stick are the people who lost the money. I do not want to watch the sport thinking and most likely knowing there are players litterally fixing the game. At this point, this is not conspiracy theory anymore, this is literally games outcome being altered in a falty way.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#11 » by UcanUwill » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 pm

cgf wrote:Lifetime bans for anyone betting on their sport, otherwise you'll end up with a Tonali.

Would they really gamble that much and give a lifetime ban? It would be easy to ban Porter for life, he is a nobody, but if you ban him for life, you send a precedent, for good and for bad. What if the next guy caught doing this is top 3 superstar in the world, and life time ban precedent is already set... It would be brutal, I get these guys want to keep integrity of the game, but at the same time, they know who makes their league - its the stars.

Would be interesting to see what they do, but they have no guts to dish a lifetime ban, unless they do not feel uncomfortable in being inconsistent, and if big star gets caught doing the same, punishment will not be the same.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,026

Post#12 » by cgf » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
cgf wrote:Lifetime bans for anyone betting on their sport, otherwise you'll end up with a Tonali.

Would they really gamble that much and give a lifetime ban? It would be easy to ban Porter for life, he is a nobody, but if you ban him for life, you send a precedent, for good and for bad. What if the next guy caught doing this is top 3 superstar in the world, and life time ban precedent is already set... It would be brutal, I get these guys want to keep integrity of the game, but at the same time, they know who makes their league - its the stars.

Would be interesting to see what they do, but they have no guts to dish a lifetime ban, unless they do not feel uncomfortable in being inconsistent, and if big star gets caught doing the same, punishment will not be the same.

If someone's gambling addiction is so bad that they risk being a top 3 superstar in the world even though they know that gambling on their sport comes with a lifetime ban, then it's unlikely that player would've reached their potential anyway. It's hard enough to maintain the discipline needed to be an elite athlete for most, when battling a crippling addiction it's nearly impossible.

But you're right, even in football where we're seeing significant players like Tonali facing lengthy bans because he couldn't stop himself from gambling even after he knew he was under investigation, lifetime bans aren't yet on the table. But I think we'll reach that point, especially with how much advertising money certain leagues are taking from betting sites.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,756

Post#13 » by durden_tyler » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:The only way to solve gambling: ban gambling.

But but, where is the fun in that? LOL.

But seriously, legal or not, it is a billion dollar industry so no, gambling is here to stay. Fortunately and unfortunately.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,708

Post#14 » by shrink » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

This reminds me of Pete Rose’s old argument, that betting was ok, because he only bet on his team to win.

But for Pete, does that mean you rest a closer the game before? For NBA players, do they tank a few previous games so that when they bet, their money line is more easily achieved?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm

durden_tyler wrote:

But seriously, legal or not, it is a billion dollar industry so no, gambling is here to stay. Fortunately and unfortunately.

Like it or not, it is a simple right that people should have, in my opinion. I will not go out of my usual way again, but people probably know how I feel about certain American right, and it is rather sad how people so easy to make a lot of rights illegal, but some other, far crazier one is their definition of freedom.

Personally, I do not like alcohol for example, I do not get how and why people figured to consume it, does not seem like something intended to be consumed, I grew up in alcoholic family, so I can even testify how harmful it is, but over centuries it became a part of humanities beverage, consumable product, and I guess people have right to consume it. You aren't banning it because some people drink themselves stupid. I mean, some of us could probably argue that we should do that, but it is the same thing.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,576

Post#16 » by Harry Garris » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 pm

durden_tyler wrote:

Other than the fortune that the NBA and the gambling sites make off of the enterprise I fail to see what else is fortunate about legalized sports betting.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,408

Post#17 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 pm

Lifetime bans solve it. I don't care if it's Lebron or Jokic.

Pete Rose didn't get a pass and he was a top-tier legend in baseball as both a player and manager. MLB cut that **** out quick when players saw not even greatness would spare them from punishment.

NBA is actually really fortunate their first case, assuming he's proven to be guilty, is Porter. They can ban him and lose basically nothing while sending a clear and unambiguous message. Ideally with a press conference or press release that bluntly states 'this is the punishment for everyone, even MVPs and All-NBA performers, so choose wisely'.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,795

Post#18 » by jkvonny » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 pm

What?

SMDH...
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#19 » by NZB2323 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:Lifetime bans solve it. I don't care if it's Lebron or Jokic.

Pete Rose didn't get a pass and he was a top-tier legend in baseball as both a player and manager. MLB cut that **** out quick when players saw not even greatness would spare them from punishment.

NBA is actually really fortunate their first case, assuming he's proven to be guilty, is Porter. They can ban him and lose basically nothing while sending a clear and unambiguous message. Ideally with a press conference or press release that bluntly states 'this is the punishment for everyone, even MVPs and All-NBA performers, so choose wisely'.

Exactly. The sports books did a great job catching this and they can give him a lifetime ban. Problem solved.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,242

Post#20 » by levon » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 pm

That's like saying the only way to solve drug abuse is banning drugs. Banning doesn't wipe it from existence; it just drives it into the shadows.

I think it's a terrible, lame vice that's ruining the sports experience, but drinking also destroys families and yet there's an alcohol commercial every break.

Return to The General Board