NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 5: So who's winning MVP? )

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who SHOULD and WILL win the 2024 NBA MVP award? (Vote for 2 options)

Nikola Jokic SHOULD win MVP
31%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander SHOULD win MVP
6%
Luka Doncic SHOULD win MVP
15%
Giannis Antetokounmpo SHOULD win MVP
2%
Jayson Tatum SHOULD win MVP
1%
Nikola Jokic WILL win MVP
36%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander WILL win MVP
3%
Luka Doncic WILL win MVP
6%
Giannis Antetokounmpo WILL win MVP
1%
Jayson Tatum WILL win MVP
0%

Total votes: 436

Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,604

Re: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 5: So who's winning MVP? ) 

Post#861 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:13 pm

Jedi32 wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview

Perkins and SAS voted for SGA, of course. Racist scumbags.

They're not racist scumbags. SGA has a great case for MVP. That young man just took the thunder to the #1 seed in the west and he doesn't have a jaylen brown next to him. That is impressive.

both things can be true
Слава Украине!
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,584

Post#862 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:28 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview

SGA has a legitimate MVP case, but with those two (SAS and Perkins) there's obviously a hidden agenda that goes beyond basketball. I actually think that - in and of itself - topic of bias that Perkins brought up last year was interesting, but my biggest issue is that it was brought up in a way whereby Perkins or anybody who voted for Embiid couldn't possibly prone to bias as well. Especially when the more neutral impact metrics all painted Jokic as the more valuable player. It created a toxic environment, where some voters were essentially pressured into voting for one specific player out of fear for their reputation, and it eventually led to the wrong result.

If Jokic wins this year it will even out as Embiid was the leading candidate for MVP and the better player before he got hurt. So I wouldn't mind it so much in retrospect if Jok wins.

I don't see how Jokic getting it, when he was the clear best choice, fixes last year's toxic vote. While Embiid may well have been leading after 39 games...he played 39 games! Who knows how he would have finished out the year.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#863 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 pm

Jedi32 wrote:

They're not racist scumbags. SGA has a great case for MVP. That young man just took the thunder to the #1 seed in the west and he doesn't have a jaylen brown next to him. That is impressive.

Oh come on. While SGA has a legit case, that doesn't make those two not what they clearly have always been.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 668

Post#864 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:30 pm

Will MVP be announced this week?
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,525

Post#865 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:33 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

SGA has a legitimate MVP case, but with those two (SAS and Perkins) there's obviously a hidden agenda that goes beyond basketball. I actually think that - in and of itself - topic of bias that Perkins brought up last year was interesting, but my biggest issue is that it was brought up in a way whereby Perkins or anybody who voted for Embiid couldn't possibly prone to bias as well. Especially when the more neutral impact metrics all painted Jokic as the more valuable player. It created a toxic environment, where some voters were essentially pressured into voting for one specific player out of fear for their reputation, and it eventually led to the wrong result.

If Jokic wins this year it will even out as Embiid was the leading candidate for MVP and the better player before he got hurt. So I wouldn't mind it so much in retrospect if Jok wins.

I don't see how Jokic getting it, when he was the clear best choice, fixes last year's toxic vote. While Embiid may well have been leading after 39 games...he played 39 games! Who knows how he would have finished out the year.

I'm not saying it fixes it. I'm just saying that it's fine by me that both end up with one MVP each over the past two seasons. Embiid was running away with it before the injury - something I can sympathize with to an extent. Of course, it doesn't right the wrong of last year's discourse. But I'm thinking of the players.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#866 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:SGA has a legitimate MVP case, but with those two (SAS and Perkins) there's obviously a hidden agenda that goes beyond basketball. I actually think that - in and of itself - topic of bias that Perkins brought up last year was interesting, but my biggest issue is that it was brought up in a way whereby Perkins or anybody who voted for Embiid couldn't possibly prone to bias as well. Especially when the more neutral impact metrics all painted Jokic as the more valuable player. It created a toxic environment, where some voters were essentially pressured into voting for one specific player out of fear for their reputation, and it eventually led to the wrong result.

I'm not saying it fixes it. I'm just saying that it's fine by me that both end up with one MVP each over the past two seasons. Embiid was running away with it before the injury - something I can sympathize with to an extent. Of course, it doesn't right the wrong of last year's discourse. But I'm thinking of the players.

I feel like "justice" would have been Embiid ran away with it, like Jokic last year, and then some idiots started to argue that because Embiid "let off the gas" while his team cruised to the 1 seed...they decided to take it from him despite every practical stat and logical argument was for him to be MVP.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 668

Post#867 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:52 pm

Dan Patrick calls out Perkins and Stephen A:

“The push is on to somehow try to prevent the Joker from winning MVP.”

https://youtu.be/V4TWRs3R2Ss?si=r2s2i5Mx2uAGZAVC
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#868 » by CobraCommander » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:27 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:

Oh come on. While SGA has a legit case, that doesn't make those two not what they clearly have always been.

SGA has a very strong case for MVP- and it’s not racist

I don’t think anyone has a case over Jokic....

if it’s not racist to pick Luka it’s not racist to pick SGA....it’s just wrong cause Jokic is the best player on earth
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#869 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:37 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:They're not racist scumbags. SGA has a great case for MVP. That young man just took the thunder to the #1 seed in the west and he doesn't have a jaylen brown next to him. That is impressive.

if it’s not racist to pick Luka it’s not racist to pick SGA....it’s just wrong cause Jokic is the best player on earth

We're talking about SAS...there's not one sliver of decency in that thing. I agree SGA has a case for MVP. But these two didn't vote for him based on his basketball play.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#870 » by CobraCommander » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

We're talking about SAS...there's not one sliver of decency in that thing. I agree SGA has a case for MVP. But these two didn't vote for him based on his basketball play.

I have heard SAS talk on the PBD podcast and I don’t think he is racist - but who knows- big Perk… yikes I don’t know how to process some of the BS he has said lol.

Either way a vote for Luka or SGA is legit in my book… but it’s still not based on the reality that Jokic is the best player on earth and should be the MVP this year.

Luka and SGA are just not on the same level as Jokic.

With Giannis starting to break down when it matters(twice is a trend if it happens in 2 years in a row of a 8 year peak) it might be time to put SGA and Luka ahead of Giannis.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,355

Post#871 » by tsherkin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pm

CobraCommander wrote:I have heard SAS talk on the PBD podcast and I don’t think he is racist

I doubt he's racist.

What he is, however, is a highly-skillful provocateur. He knows what his role is, what his function in media is to do. He stirs the pot with ridiculous takes. Things so non-sensical that they incense people. He raises ire and gets people talking, and he is quite proficient at doing so. I bet he's quite a bit more sensible in his private life, but his whole job is essentially to piss people off into talking about stuff and shouting him down.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#872 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:SGA has a very strong case for MVP- and it’s not racist

I have heard SAS talk on the PBD podcast and I don’t think he is racist - but who knows- big Perk… yikes I don’t know how to process some of the BS he has said lol.

Either way a vote for Luka or SGA is legit in my book… but it’s still not based on the reality that Jokic is the best player on earth and should be the MVP this year.

Luka and SGA are just not on the same level as Jokic.

With Giannis starting to break down when it matters(twice is a trend if it happens in 2 years in a row of a 8 year peak) it might be time to put SGA and Luka ahead of Giannis.

Maybe SAS isn't a racist and is just a horrible person. Either way there's nothing good about him. He's one of the worst people in media. But he voted Embiid last year and SGA this year either means he has no basketball knowledge or he's absolutely voted with a massive race bias.

At the end of the day, he's just a bad person who add no value anywhere be it sports or in life.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#873 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:21 pm

tsherkin wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:I have heard SAS talk on the PBD podcast and I don’t think he is racist

I doubt he's racist.

What he is, however, is a highly-skillful provocateur. He knows what his role is, what his function in media is to do. He stirs the pot with ridiculous takes. Things so non-sensical that they incense people. He raises ire and gets people talking, and he is quite proficient at doing so. I bet he's quite a bit more sensible in his private life, but his whole job is essentially to piss people off into talking about stuff and shouting him down.

In short - he's evil, harmful, and lacks any fiber of morality! I'll leave off what I wish on him...
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,355

Post#874 » by tsherkin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:33 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
In short - he's evil, harmful, and lacks any fiber of morality! I'll leave off what I wish on him...

That's probably a little aggressive. That's just... entertainment media. It's not a new job, but someone will always be doing it because it works. I don't know that it reflects any on him in terms of morality, though. It's performance theater.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 7,752

Post#875 » by AleksandarN » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:48 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Do we have an update on the votes?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview?pli=1

It is currently 16 first place votes and 1 second place votes. The question is not will Jokic win it is how many third place votes he ends up getting.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#876 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:59 pm

I heard Nick Wright say yesterday that with Jokic and Luka so close in the voters eyes (those actually with a vote not the talking heads) in the past voters would look Jokic and Luka and that with a race this close would give the award to the guy that doesn’t already have an MVP award. That is how/why Karl Malone en the MVP in ‘97 instead of Jordan. He suggested that even if Jokic is slightly ahead they would likely give the award to Luka since he doesn’t have an MVP yet and Jokic has 2 already.
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 320

Post#877 » by famicommander » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:02 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Do we have an update on the votes?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview?pli=1

It is currently 16 first place votes and 1 second place votes. The question is not will Jokic win it is how many third place votes he ends up getting.

It's actually 19, they're not counting Mahoney, Aschburner, and Powell officially yet but we know they voted for Jokic.

So he has over 86% of the vote with 21% of the votes counted.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#878 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:12 pm

tsherkin wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

That's probably a little aggressive. That's just... entertainment media. It's not a new job, but someone will always be doing it because it works. I don't know that it reflects any on him in terms of morality, though. It's performance theater.

There's objective right and wrong in the world. I think we've gone down this path with SAS before so I don't know that we need to go here again. But I remain of the opinion what he's doing is bad for society in a way that it's wrong to do as a person. While I agree doing this exclusively in sports is less bad, he's promoting this being done in politics where people lose their lives. And I think he's a leader not a follower in this. Meaning people in politics are following his model.

TL/DR - People are dead because of SAS. Not directly, he's not a killer. But his brand is deadly and shouldn't exist.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#879 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm

I have a question about this tracker, is this being calculated based on what the guys with an actual vote has said on tv?
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 320

Post#880 » by famicommander » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:19 pm

Windhorst's vote is in too. Jokic.

That's 21/24 known 1st place votes for Jokic.

Return to The General Board