NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 5: So who's winning MVP? )

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who SHOULD and WILL win the 2024 NBA MVP award? (Vote for 2 options)

Nikola Jokic SHOULD win MVP
31%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander SHOULD win MVP
6%
Luka Doncic SHOULD win MVP
15%
Giannis Antetokounmpo SHOULD win MVP
2%
Jayson Tatum SHOULD win MVP
1%
Nikola Jokic WILL win MVP
36%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander WILL win MVP
3%
Luka Doncic WILL win MVP
6%
Giannis Antetokounmpo WILL win MVP
1%
Jayson Tatum WILL win MVP
0%

Total votes: 436

famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 295

Re: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 5: So who's winning MVP? ) 

Post#881 » by famicommander » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:21 pm

Mr B wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview

Perkins and SAS voted for SGA, of course. Racist scumbags.

I have a question about this tracker, is this being calculated based on what the guys with an actual vote has said on tv?

Just read the table. There are links on it to where the vote came from and the confirmation that the voter has an official ballot.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,633

Post#882 » by AleksandarN » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:41 pm

Mr B wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview

Perkins and SAS voted for SGA, of course. Racist scumbags.

I have a question about this tracker, is this being calculated based on what the guys with an actual vote has said on tv?

And print media. Yes this tracker has been accurate for years now.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,404

Post#883 » by zero rings » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 pm

Mr B wrote:I heard Nick Wright say yesterday that with Jokic and Luka so close in the voters eyes (those actually with a vote not the talking heads) in the past voters would look Jokic and Luka and that with a race this close would give the award to the guy that doesn’t already have an MVP award. That is how/why Karl Malone en the MVP in ‘97 instead of Jordan. He suggested that even if Jokic is slightly ahead they would likely give the award to Luka since he doesn’t have an MVP yet and Jokic has 2 already.

Nick Wright will get behind any voting criteria that has Jokic losing. He’s been doing the same schtick for 4 years.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,250

Post#884 » by tsherkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

dhsilv2 wrote:There's objective right and wrong in the world.

More than none and less than most think, but yes.

I think we've gone down this path with SAS before so I don't know that we need to go here again. But I remain of the opinion what he's doing is bad for society in a way that it's wrong to do as a person. While I agree doing this exclusively in sports is less bad, he's promoting this being done in politics where people lose their lives. And I think he's a leader not a follower in this. Meaning people in politics are following his model.

We can agree to disagree on this.

TL/DR - People are dead because of SAS. Not directly, he's not a killer. But his brand is deadly and shouldn't exist.

Anyone willing to cause enough of a ruckus to kill people over something SAS has said isn't worth considering because they would have been a problem regardless.

But anyway, back to the MVP discussion in terms of the sport itself, and not its peripherals. Couple of pretty solid candidates right now, no question.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,009

Post#885 » by CobraCommander » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm

Mr B wrote:I heard Nick Wright say yesterday that with Jokic and Luka so close in the voters eyes (those actually with a vote not the talking heads) in the past voters would look Jokic and Luka and that with a race this close would give the award to the guy that doesn’t already have an MVP award. That is how/why Karl Malone en the MVP in ‘97 instead of Jordan. He suggested that even if Jokic is slightly ahead they would likely give the award to Luka since he doesn’t have an MVP yet and Jokic has 2 already.

Which would essentially invalidate the value of the award…again.

If someone considers anything other than merit to give Luka the award then it’s essentially as bad as Perk giving his vote to Embiid because of…. Well what we all heard Perk say…

It’s the same BS wrapped in a diffent package

The mvp is a merit based award or it’s worthless
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#886 » by CobraCommander » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 pm

This vote shouldn’t be close - it’s Jokic and then any of the other 3 guys far behind him can be second.

Luka Giannis or SGA could get 2-4 and it would be acceptable-

Giannis is getting slept on but Giannis numbers would have him a solid number 2 to Jokic if the bucks were the number1 seed and not a perceived dumpster fire for most of the year.

SGA has a strong argument for MVP because he is number 1 seed and honestly his roster ain’t really that good… the roster is ultra young and full for potential - but they actually are the 1 seed while the Timberwolves and others with more established players are not.

Luka could be number 2 because his offensive numbers are great -

But no one deserves this award more than jokic - he is the best player on the best team (current champs) and no one would be surprised if they repeat.

To not give jokic the mvp falls into the area of BS to keep a current great out of the category with Lebron and Bird and MJ and The other 3 time winners - he is as good as anyone in history and not give this award to Luka or SGA would hurt his legacy in an unfair way. There is no guarantee he will ever be this good again so why punish him for greatness
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#887 » by CobraCommander » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:41 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
We're talking about SAS...there's not one sliver of decency in that thing. I agree SGA has a case for MVP. But these two didn't vote for him based on his basketball play.

I have heard SAS talk on the PBD podcast and I don’t think he is racist - but who knows- big Perk… yikes I don’t know how to process some of the BS he has said lol.

Either way a vote for Luka or SGA is legit in my book… but it’s still not based on the reality that Jokic is the best player on earth and should be the MVP this year.

Luka and SGA are just not on the same level as Jokic.

With Giannis starting to break down when it matters(twice is a trend if it happens in 2 years in a row of a 8 year peak) it might be time to put SGA and Luka ahead of Giannis.

Maybe SAS isn't a racist and is just a horrible person. Either way there's nothing good about him. He's one of the worst people in media. But he voted Embiid last year and SGA this year either means he has no basketball knowledge or he's absolutely voted with a massive race bias.

At the end of the day, he's just a bad person who add no value anywhere be it sports or in life.

I have heard SAS speak beyond sports and I think his sports points are made because it’s what his “bosses” want him to say. He is so honest about his “bosses” being the people he wants to keep happy that it’s almost sickening. He essentially ask his bosses and they find out from the marketing people what should be said and he says it. I’m not even sure what is authentic about his sports takes.

He essentially said the oddest thing on the PDB podcast about thinking and being conservative but voting democrat… which should tell you all you need to know about him and his principles. It’s not about politics at all- it tells you how illogical he is and how he knows it and lives with it… his beliefs don’t shape his actions … which is crazy

If he voted for SGA because he THOUGHT SGA was the MVP… which is reasonable - sga is a monster on defense and his on and off the floor stats - plus his offensive efficiency - plus his team is number 1 - gives him a strong argument for mvp… but if he is doing it because the NBA and ESPN bosses don’t want jokic to be on par with Bird and other 3 time mvps - then it’s sad…

And honestly If Luka or SGA get the mvp it will be because the nba doesn’t think it can market Jokic … cause he is a marketing nightmare in the same way Duncan was… trust me when I tell you no one hates SA and Duncan and POP more than the NBA marketing and sales departments -

The nba and espn has a “anyone but jokic” policy
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,549

Post#888 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:21 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
I have heard SAS talk on the PBD podcast and I don’t think he is racist - but who knows- big Perk… yikes I don’t know how to process some of the BS he has said lol.

Either way a vote for Luka or SGA is legit in my book… but it’s still not based on the reality that Jokic is the best player on earth and should be the MVP this year.

Luka and SGA are just not on the same level as Jokic.

With Giannis starting to break down when it matters(twice is a trend if it happens in 2 years in a row of a 8 year peak) it might be time to put SGA and Luka ahead of Giannis.

Maybe SAS isn't a racist and is just a horrible person. Either way there's nothing good about him. He's one of the worst people in media. But he voted Embiid last year and SGA this year either means he has no basketball knowledge or he's absolutely voted with a massive race bias.

At the end of the day, he's just a bad person who add no value anywhere be it sports or in life.

I have heard SAS speak beyond sports and I think his sports points are made because it’s what his “bosses” want him to say. He is so honest about his “bosses” being the people he wants to keep happy that it’s almost sickening. He essentially ask his bosses and they find out from the marketing people what should be said and he says it. I’m not even sure what is authentic about his sports takes.

He essentially said the oddest thing on the PDB podcast about thinking and being conservative but voting democrat… which should tell you all you need to know about him and his principles. It’s not about politics at all- it tells you how illogical he is and how he knows it and lives with it… his beliefs don’t shape his actions … which is crazy

If he voted for SGA because he THOUGHT SGA was the MVP… which is reasonable - sga is a monster on defense and his on and off the floor stats - plus his offensive efficiency - plus his team is number 1 - gives him a strong argument for mvp… but if he is doing it because the NBA and ESPN bosses don’t want jokic to be on par with Bird and other 3 time mvps - then it’s sad…

And honestly If Luka or SGA get the mvp it will be because the nba doesn’t think it can market Jokic … cause he is a marketing nightmare in the same way Duncan was… trust me when I tell you no one hates SA and Duncan and POP more than the NBA marketing and sales departments -

I"m not sure SAS is capable of thinking, but even if he does. There's no possible reason someone watching the league thought SGA and Embiid where better than Jokic. He either is doing on racial bias or because he just wants to get clicks/views with his terrible votes. Not sure which one is worse, but there's no world I believe SAS did that based purely on basketball reasons. I frankly don't think he actually watches sports in the first place. Though on that...not really his fault. ESPN has the dude working 24/7.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#889 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:29 pm

Swish77 wrote:Is it just me or does everyone wish the MVP award included what players did/do in the playoffs as well?

I wish we had a playoff MVP, but no i don't want to include the playoffs for MVP.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#890 » by CobraCommander » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I"m not sure SAS is capable of thinking, but even if he does. There's no possible reason someone watching the league thought SGA and Embiid where better than Jokic. He either is doing on racial bias or because he just wants to get clicks/views with his terrible votes. Not sure which one is worse, but there's no world I believe SAS did that based purely on basketball reasons. I frankly don't think he actually watches sports in the first place. Though on that...not really his fault. ESPN has the dude working 24/7.

If you throw Giannis and Luka in there as well - I’m with you-

The next 3 are close to each other this year but no where neeeeaaarrrrr Jokic

Luka has not had a better year than SGA
SGA has not separated himself from Luka
Giannis has not been better than or worse than Luka and SGA
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#891 » by AleksandarN » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:Is it just me or does everyone wish the MVP award included what players did/do in the playoffs as well?

I wish we had a playoff MVP, but no i don't want to include the playoffs for MVP.

They have 3 playoff mvp awards now. I think that is enough
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,404

Post#892 » by zero rings » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Didn’t Perkins come out and say “I support my own kind” or something like that?

There’s nothing wrong with voting for SGA, he had a phenomenal year. But Perkins doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. He actively votes against Jokic because he’s white.

Stephen A does the same thing, but he’s a little smarter than Perk and knows not to let the cat out of the bag.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,082

Post#893 » by slick_watts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:36 pm

i don't think sga over jokic is more egregious than derrick rose over dwight howard. these voters have all sorts of criteria for mvp that have nothing much to do with how the player actually performs when they are on the court.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#894 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:59 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:I have heard SAS speak beyond sports and I think his sports points are made because it’s what his “bosses” want him to say. He is so honest about his “bosses” being the people he wants to keep happy that it’s almost sickening. He essentially ask his bosses and they find out from the marketing people what should be said and he says it. I’m not even sure what is authentic about his sports takes.

I just looked it up, SAS didn't even vote Jokic in 2022. So he's done this for 3 straight seasons.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#895 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

They have 3 playoff mvp awards now. I think that is enough

All of which I'd want to get rid of. I just want a playoff MVP.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#896 » by AleksandarN » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:58 pm

Looks like Luka is in third now
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Post#897 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 pm

CobraCommander wrote:

Which would essentially invalidate the value of the award…again.

If someone considers anything other than merit to give Luka the award then it’s essentially as bad as Perk giving his vote to Embiid because of…. Well what we all heard Perk say…

It’s the same BS wrapped in a diffent package

The mvp is a merit based award or it’s worthless

Regardless of all that, that is the way a lot of the actual voters vote when it comes to the MVP. If two players deserve it on merit the award will usually go to the guy who hasn’t already won an MVP.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Post#898 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:39 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:I have heard SAS speak beyond sports and I think his sports points are made because it’s what his “bosses” want him to say. He is so honest about his “bosses” being the people he wants to keep happy that it’s almost sickening. He essentially ask his bosses and they find out from the marketing people what should be said and he says it. I’m not even sure what is authentic about his sports takes.

Not everyone sees it the same way as you. Luka and SGA are just as deserving of the MVP as Jokic. You can point to this obscure stat or that obscure stat as reason why Jokic should win but the reality is most people view these 3 as extremely close in the MVP race. All three are deserving.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#899 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:53 pm

Mr B wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Not everyone sees it the same way as you. Luka and SGA are just as deserving of the MVP as Jokic. You can point to this obscure stat or that obscure stat as reason why Jokic should win but the reality is most people view these 3 as extremely close in the MVP race. All three are deserving.

You can point to the most talked about and used stats out there to push for Jokic. You don't need anything obsure. That said...jokic and sga had the same team records where it's pretty clearly we all agree SGA has the better teammates. And luka doesn't have much worse and didn't finish as well.
hagredionis
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#900 » by hagredionis » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:If you throw Giannis and Luka in there as well - I’m with you-

You can point to the most talked about and used stats out there to push for Jokic. You don't need anything obsure. That said...jokic and sga had the same team records where it's pretty clearly we all agree SGA has the better teammates. And luka doesn't have much worse and didn't finish as well.

However the Mavs had a far worse luck with the injuries this season. But for some reason the media doesn't talk about that much if at all.

Return to The General Board