Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,826

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#401 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:04 pm

BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I don't think Clark's impact will translate to the WNBA. Not because she's not amazing and capable, but because her opponents (and likely her teammates) will resent and hate her and will sell out to stop her at all costs even at the detriment to their team winning. She'll likely adjust and easily lead the league in assists but that's not what got her famous. After awhile, people will get bored and the ratings will crater. Hopefully she'll cash in on the initial craze so she can set her and future generations up for life.
Do you think she has the type of personality that will make her teammates "likely" to resent her? I have a hard time believing that. There's that famous video of some of Lebron's future Cavs' teammates not being impressed by him. They turned around pretty quickly.. why wouldn't Caitlin's teammates? Caitlin is a more mature, self-aware person and leader than an 18 year old Lebron.

The genders tend to differ emotionally, just in case you were not aware. LeBron had to deal with NBA males who tend to be a bit less catty.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,923

Post#402 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:12 pm

Pettiness is a form of an outward expression of insecurity. Certain groups that have been oppressed or marginalized (e.g. black, women, LBGT) have good reason to feel insecure or threatened. In the case of the WNBA, you can see why they'd be threatened by Clark, Bueckers, etc... who are poised to diminish their legacies. It's no different than the NBA old heads constantly crapping on the new guys.
BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,823

Post#403 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:19 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I don't think Clark's impact will translate to the WNBA. Not because she's not amazing and capable, but because her opponents (and likely her teammates) will resent and hate her and will sell out to stop her at all costs even at the detriment to their team winning. She'll likely adjust and easily lead the league in assists but that's not what got her famous. After awhile, people will get bored and the ratings will crater. Hopefully she'll cash in on the initial craze so she can set her and future generations up for life.
Do you think she has the type of personality that will make her teammates "likely" to resent her? I have a hard time believing that. There's that famous video of some of Lebron's future Cavs' teammates not being impressed by him. They turned around pretty quickly.. why wouldn't Caitlin's teammates? Caitlin is a more mature, self-aware person and leader than an 18 year old Lebron.

The genders tend to differ emotionally, just in case you were not aware. LeBron had to deal with NBA males who tend to be a bit less catty.
lol are we following the same NBA? NBA players are some of the pettiest drama queens in the world. Michael Jordan's ex-teammates are currently on a tour because they felt slighted by a Netflix series that didn't glorify them enough.
hauntedcomputer wrote:Jokic is just a stranger dribbling a basketball. The humility bit could well be a carefully crafted business model for all we know. It's actually getting as tiresome as egotistical bloviating at this point. "Look at me, look how humble I am!!"
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,742

Post#404 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:27 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
you might be right... but women bb has never been as this relevent as right now, thanking to this little girl...

Its relevance right now is largely because of espn choosing to cover and hype the women's game as much as the men's in the last 5-6 years. I often use espn's website to check scores and all that stuff and I'd wager that women bb players have been on the front page of their website more than men have been over the last 5 years. Same with college softball compared to college baseball. Clark is great by the standards of women's bb players but I don't think she really stands out that much compared to previous women's players nearly as much as people think. She shoots a lot of 3's with range and is now the all time leading scorer but other women have had a lot more team success. espn was just dying to have a women's player to promote imo and she is the latest/greatest so to speak so filled that role for them. I think they actually wanted it to be Bueckers if you recall the attention she was getting but Clark has just been better and Bueckers was hurt.

Media plays a part, but they can only do so much… I still remember the Diana Turasi UConn days in espn and Britney Griner days in espn… they were on espn 24/7, won all type of awards … but they never reached the height of Caitlin Clark… not media favorites one or another… Caitlin Clark created this… a little girl plays a modern NBA game with NBA range, dominated the scoring.., that what draws people in…She is a phenomenon.. you can nitpick the flaws of her game, but she is unique and no woman bb player has done what she does
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,742

Post#405 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:31 pm

Caitlin Clark reminds me a lot a great tennis player Justine henin, a little girl who had men’s game… she was regarded as the female Federer when she was at her best… she did not have the power of Serena or Sharapova… but she won with her superior skills… very pleased to the eye
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#406 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:32 pm

Nope. Candace Parker was a star. Maya Moore was a star.

The difference is Clark is playing in the prime of social media. Put any any of the past greats in today's era they would have been just as popular.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#407 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:04 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Nope. Candace Parker was a star. Maya Moore was a star.

The difference is Clark is playing in the prime of social media. Put any any of the past greats in today's era they would have been just as popular.

That's cool and all, but Caitlin is still the biggest star they've ever had. She wasn't the first, and there is certainly context to why, but it's a fact. She's the biggest female basketball star ever.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#408 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:08 pm

Ambrose wrote:

That's cool and all, but Caitlin is still the biggest star they've ever had. She wasn't the first, and there is certainly context to why, but it's a fact. She's the biggest female basketball star ever.

Yeah I agree on her star power.

I'm just not ready to say she's the best. She got those numbers because she was at a lesser program. Everyone else went to big time programs and had better players around them.

Here's where I'm at with Clark. If she proves to do this at the next level she will go down as the GOAT of women's basketball. I'm on record saying Juju will be a better pro. Clark I believe the hype, but I'm just curious to see if her game translates to the next level vs the best of the best.

Im in wait and see mode on Clark as the GOAT women's basketball player.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#409 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:12 pm

BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:Do you think she has the type of personality that will make her teammates "likely" to resent her? I have a hard time believing that. There's that famous video of some of Lebron's future Cavs' teammates not being impressed by him. They turned around pretty quickly.. why wouldn't Caitlin's teammates? Caitlin is a more mature, self-aware person and leader than an 18 year old Lebron.

lol are we following the same NBA? NBA players are some of the pettiest drama queens in the world. Michael Jordan's ex-teammates are currently on a tour because they felt slighted by a Netflix series that didn't glorify them enough.

LOL True. But while we overdramatize what NBA players do, i still do not think they are on the WNBA player levels with it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#410 » by Mags FTW » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:12 pm

They also have different styles. Even in the NBA, post players don't move the needle like Steph does. That's the difference with Clark.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,813

Post#411 » by jc23 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:30 pm

social media did not just pop up and get real popular with people in the last two years. thats silly talk. And if it were the case then there would be other female players that were as big of a draw as her. Fact is she moved the needle more then any other female basketball player ever has. No adjectives needed.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,522

Post#412 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:39 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:Caitlin Clark reminds me a lot a great tennis player Justine henin, a little girl who had men’s game… she was regarded as the female Federer when she was at her best… she did not have the power of Serena or Sharapova… but she won with her superior skills… very pleased to the eye

Worth noting that Henin never had the mainstream popularity of those others.

This relates to why I say that while the judgment of female appearance in society is indeed a factor in mainstream star ability, it’s more complicated than people just wanting to cheer for “little white girls” in sports.

To the extent it applies in basketball generally, I’d say it’s because:

1. People just prefer to watch non-bigs. They like the David vs Goliath dynamic in a sport built on the shoulders of Goliaths. They prefer the moves we think of as finesse to those we think of as brute force. This has everything to do with, for example, why kids love Steph Curry.

2. She’s a minority in this sport. In tennis or golf being a non-White race helps people notice you. In basketball it’s being non-Black. Doesn’t mean it’s not “racist”, but there’s more going on here than broader society’s White dominant racism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#413 » by Mags FTW » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:40 pm

Not sure if posted already:

Read on Twitter
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#414 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:42 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote: Media plays a part, but they can only do so much… I still remember the Diana Turasi UConn days in espn and Britney Griner days in espn… they were on espn 24/7, won all type of awards … but they never reached the height of Caitlin Clark… not media favorites one or another… Caitlin Clark created this… a little girl plays a modern NBA game with NBA range, dominated the scoring.., that what draws people in…She is a phenomenon.. you can nitpick the flaws of her game, but she is unique and no woman bb player has done what she does

I don't recall them getting anywhere near the attention Clark was getting this year. Women's bb is covered in a completely different way now than it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It also helped that she broke the all time scoring mark.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,813

Post#415 » by jc23 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:47 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:.

she is 6 foot and 22 years old, quit being weird calling her a little girl.
Be curious, Not judgmental
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,781

Post#416 » by KamikazeK » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:00 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:

You're disgusting.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#417 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:43 pm

KamikazeK wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:Do you think she has the type of personality that will make her teammates "likely" to resent her? I have a hard time believing that. There's that famous video of some of Lebron's future Cavs' teammates not being impressed by him. They turned around pretty quickly.. why wouldn't Caitlin's teammates? Caitlin is a more mature, self-aware person and leader than an 18 year old Lebron.

You're disgusting.

I could be.

In addition to being disgusting, i could also know a few WNBA players. :wink:
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,626

Post#418 » by NBA4Lyfe » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:44 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
NBA4Lyfe wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:LeBron was actually backing Clark today and telling people they were dumb for hating on her.

See, yall say the absolute stupidest shyt about him as he squats in your abandoned dome and will not vacate.

trying to sign clark to klutch sports.. hopefully clark is not that stupid

Why would that be stupid? They get the best deals for everyone they sign.

clark is breaking tv ratings and has her own following, attaching herself to a toxic figure like lebron would be stupid

clark has iowa beating the nba finals and world series in tv ratings. she doesnt need him
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,626

Post#419 » by NBA4Lyfe » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:46 pm

Mags FTW wrote:

They also have different styles. Even in the NBA, post players don't move the needle like Steph does. That's the difference with Clark.

meh even steph curry wasnt this huge draw like the media would have you believe. Pretty much all of the series the warriors set tv ratings marks were when they went up againist players who corporate america did not like .,. harden/lebron/durant

when the warriors played the blazers/jazz/grizzlies their tv ratings were pretty much in line with every other series
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#420 » by xdrta+ » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:47 pm

NBA4Lyfe wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
NBA4Lyfe wrote:

trying to sign clark to klutch sports.. hopefully clark is not that stupid

Why would that be stupid? They get the best deals for everyone they sign.

clark is breaking tv ratings and has her own following, attaching herself to a toxic figure like lebron would be stupid

clark has iowa beating the nba finals and world series in tv ratings. she doesnt need him

You have no clue about the real world, do you?

Return to The General Board