Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 299

Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#1 » by uncleduck13 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:53 pm

And by star, y’all know what I mean. Someone that’s actually marketable. Someone that actually possesses the it-factor. Sure there’s been many great female players (Sheryl Swoops, Maya Moore, Lisa Leslie, etc) who have had great careers, that either no one knows, remembers, or cares about. There’s even been players who they’ve tried to force in this position and failed miserably (Candace Parker). There’s a reason why so many WNBA players are jealous of Clark. They know she’s about to come in and establish herself as a TRUE one of one and take full credit for making their league relevant.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#2 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:55 pm

Sheryl Swoopes once went 1 on 1 with Jordan.
OhMyGodBecky
Sophomore
And1: 374

Post#3 » by OhMyGodBecky » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:58 pm

Sure, if you think women's basketball started in 2023.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,776

Post#4 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:02 pm

There have been some terrific women’s players, maybe better than Clark, but if “star” means “popularity,” I think the OP is right.

For example, ESPN led off their news with the Clark’s Elite Eight game, and analysis, and then .. “oh btw, MLB had a no hitter.”
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#5 » by spanishninja » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:06 pm

It's kind of a double edge sword. On one hand, obviously this unprecedented popularity for Clark is good for her and basketball across all levels. on the other hand, there have been a lot of hall of fame level women basketball players over the years whose achievements now feel understated compared to Clark's. at the very least, should we wait until she enters the WNBA to put her on the mount rushmore with the likes of Leslie, Swoopes, Cooper, and Taurasi?
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,046

Post#6 » by Drakeem » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:06 pm

OhMyGodBecky wrote:Sure, if you think women's basketball started in 2023.
I mean, that's kinda the point. Clark has been bringing eyes to womans basketball that not a single person before her did. From a pure "star" standpoint (assuming we're using the term in the way we would with a celebrity and their popularity rather than just pure talent) she probably is the first. I see posts all about her and the game last night from people who couldn't name a single WNBA player outside of maybe Griner bc of the whole Russia situation.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#7 » by azcatz11 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:09 pm

Does she have a nickname? What I am observing is similar to Taylor Swift hysteria...her Q rating must be off the chart
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:09 pm

I’ve always been fascinated with athletes that can become popular outside of their sport. For example, people that aren’t Bulls fans, or NBA fans, or even sports fans, recognize Michael Jordan.

Are there 5 current athletes right now who are more recognized than Clark in USA? LeBron, Steph, Mahomes?, is Tiger still active?

Note that this is popularity, not ability. Jokic and Luka are incredible, but if people are’t basketball fans, they probably don’t have an opinion on them. Clark is a great player, but her story and uniqueness makes people pay attention, and feel good about themselves for supporting women.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,823

Post#9 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:11 pm

I feel like almost every fan (not women basketball fan) knew who Taurasi and Candace were, they were definitely big stars.

Also, what happened to Paige Bueckers? I see she is still in college, is there a reason for that? I mean I know most women NCAA players stay in college longer, but her hype died down. She seemed to be the most hyped up highschool player in a longest time, way more than Clark.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#10 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:14 pm

uncleduck13 wrote:And by star, y’all know what I mean. Someone that’s actually marketable. Someone that actually possesses the it-factor. Sure there’s been many great female players (Sheryl Swoops, Maya Moore, Lisa Leslie, etc) who have had great careers, that either no one knows, remembers, or cares about. There’s even been players who they’ve tried to force in this position and failed miserably (Candace Parker). There’s a reason why so many WNBA players are jealous of Clark. They know she’s about to come in and establish herself as a TRUE one of one and take full credit for making their league relevant.

All I hear is that female basketball players need alliteration
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,826

Post#11 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:16 pm

Such a cringy post.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,823

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:17 pm

shrink wrote:I’ve always been fascinated with athletes that can become popular outside of their sport. For example, people that aren’t Bulls fans, or NBA fans, or even sports fans, recognize Michael Jordan.

Are there 5 current athletes right now who are more recognized than Clark in USA? LeBron, Steph, Mahomes?, is Tiger still active?

Note that this is popularity, not ability. Jokic and Luka are incredible, but if people are’t a basketball fan, they probably don’t have an opinion. Clark is a great player, but her story and uniqueness makes people pay attention, and feel good about themselves for supporting women.

I imagine Cristiano Ronaldo would be very recognize almost anywhere, right? We had a recent thread on study that claims Messi was most popular athlete in the US currently, but that sounds like a big stretch, considering American Football in USA is far far more popular than (real) Football.

Is Ohtani recognizable? I you get 700 Mil contract, you must be recognizable there?
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,600

Post#13 » by Meat » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:17 pm

umm Cheryl Miller?
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,631

Post#14 » by Ice Man » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:17 pm

I don't know about the first TRUE star, but she is certainly the biggest ever star, as defined by general popularity. Iowa's game against Colorado -- a round of 16 game against a no-name squad -- had 6.9 million viewers. That's 1.1 million more than the highest ever viewership for a women's college game before last year, which was the 2002 Final with an undefeated UConn team that had Bird and Tauresi. And that 2002 game was played at a time when sports events had higher TV ratings, before streaming eroded viewership.

Viewership for Iowa's Elite 8 game against LSU have not been released yet, but it was probably north of 10 million.

Caitlin is at a whole 'nother level of popularity. To the point where she has pulled others along with her, because now that new viewers (like me) have turned on women's NCAA games, and have gotten to know the other teams and players, so that USC games with JuJu, UConn games with Paige, and LSU games with Angel are also getting high ratings. Not Iowa high, but much higher than women's Elite 8 games used to get.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#15 » by Ambrose » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:18 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I feel like every fan (not women basketball fan) knew who Taurasi and Candace were, they were definitely big stars.

Also, what happened to Paige Bueckers? I see she is still in college, is there a reason for that? I mean I know most women NCAA players stay in college longer, but her hyped died down. She seemed to be the most hyped up highschool player in a longest time, way more than Clark.

Paige was injured last year. She also doesn't play a role like Clark. Clark has the deep 3's, the insane vision, and the whole offense revolves around her. Paige does a lot more work off-ball, does more of the dirty work, she plays within the offense a lot more, and she's more of a jack of all trades kind of player. Her game doesn't actually lend itself that much to popularity but is equally as conducive towards winning. When she has to she can ramp things up and be more on ball and lock down opponents, but that's not how she's used that often.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,168

Post#16 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:19 pm

Well for starters she isn't insufferable like the majority of the WNBA players and she actually supports the U.S.A. The rest of the league should take note that a little humility goes a long way.
shrink
RealGM

Post#17 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:19 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
uncleduck13 wrote:And by star, y’all know what I mean. Someone that’s actually marketable. Someone that actually possesses the it-factor. Sure there’s been many great female players (Sheryl Swoops, Maya Moore, Lisa Leslie, etc) who have had great careers, that either no one knows, remembers, or cares about. There’s even been players who they’ve tried to force in this position and failed miserably (Candace Parker). There’s a reason why so many WNBA players are jealous of Clark. They know she’s about to come in and establish herself as a TRUE one of one and take full credit for making their league relevant.

All I hear is that female basketball players need alliteration

Awesome!
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Post#18 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:20 pm

shrink wrote:There have been some terrific women’s players, maybe better than Clark, but if “star” means “popularity,” I think the OP is right.

For example, ESPN led off their news with the Clark’s Elite Eight game, and analysis, and then .. “oh btw, MLB had a no hitter.”

No hitting the Blue Jays isn't newsworthy.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
shrink
RealGM

Post#19 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:21 pm

Ice Man wrote:I don't know about the first TRUE star, but she is certainly the biggest ever star, as defined by general popularity. Iowa's game against Colorado -- a round of 16 game against a no-name squad -- had 6.9 million viewers. That's 1.1 million more than the highest ever viewership for a women's college game before last year, which was the 2002 Final with an undefeated UConn team that had Bird and Tauresi. And that 2002 game was played at a time when sports events had higher TV ratings, before streaming eroded viewership.

Viewership for Iowa's Elite 8 game against LSU have not been released yet, but it was probably north of 10 million.

Caitlin is at a whole 'nother level.

And 9.9 mil for Clark’s National Championship game last year broke records. I’m anxious to see what last night’s game drew.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,327

Post#20 » by DOT » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:22 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Also, what happened to Paige Bueckers? I see she is still in college, is there a reason for that? I mean I know most women NCAA players stay in college longer, but her hyped died down. She seemed to be the most hyped up highschool player in a longest time, way more than Clark.

She's the same age as Clark, so not that weird she's still in college

In terms of why her hype died down, it's cause she dealt with injuries in her sophomore year which caused her to miss most of the season, and then missed her entire junior year due to injury.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to The General Board