Have we been underrating Luka?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,888

Re: Have we been underrating Luka? 

Post#81 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:56 pm

shi-woo wrote:No, there is just still a bunch of people in this world that see white/euro and think "bad at basketball" or are just racist and refuse to come to terms with the fact that basketball isn't exactly exclusive to their culture anymore and is more of an inclusive global game now.

Past players, many of them, don't even hide this fact.

I call it the Larry Bird paradox, where a dude is considered the GOAT until 1988, ripped the hearts out of everyones favorite legends, but for some reason would be worse than Spencer Hawes if he played in the modern game to some people :lol:

We saw how slow it took people to finally appreciate Jokic. Dude put up essential 19/11/6 on close to 50/40/90 and wasn't even an All-Star :lol: People refuse to give Luka that LeBron treatment even though he's had a similar start to his career, just hasn't teamed up with other ATG's yet, and came in as a messiah type of prospect.

Unbiased/nonracist fans know what Luka is, 1 of the 3 players that is going to run his generation, and end up in the Top 15 ATG if he wins a ring. Which he no doubt will.

Hopefully people don't turn him into TJ McConnel though when he retires

yeah this isn't it. Not sure why you think poor white people never get their flowers, but let's not.

People realize Bird is an all-time great. People realize Luka is great. Even though they are white.... :roll:

But this level of victimhood based on race? no, please no.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,256

Post#82 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:01 pm

Archx wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Archx wrote:
You brought up 2 guys. One was constantly injured but when he played, he was great. And the other one Cuban let go for nothing when he started to become the player he is today.

All in all, both were doing fine with Doncic until they were traded or front office didn't resign at the right time. And i didn't know Gafford had 16-1 runs or was almost close to breaking Wilt's record with his previous teams. Interesting.

Again, where is the proof that he doesn't make his teammates better?

Yes gafford has always been ultra efficient which is why wiz fans was mad we didn’t get enough back for him

Are you saying he’s made kyrie better?
Pj been playing the same as he was a hornet
Exum is exum
They are better than they were last year obviously , but what about the years before with the bad players you named, record still the same as now? Or marginally better?

"Exum is Exum.." He was Exum in Serbia last year, probably no one expected him to even sniff NBA again.

So i have to apologize because i don't know if you're asking a serious question or you just want to start a riot with Mavs community :lol:

Otherwise my response and explanation would be 2 pages long dating all the way back to 2018 probably. So i'll just say you have your own opinion, it's fine, but Mavs fans and (luckily) a lot of other fans, know better.

Dante exum???
The top draft pick that was plagued by injuries?
And pretty much given up like the other Australian
That’s what you chose to nitpick out my last post?

Again where is the proof he deserves mvp over jokic or sga

Mavs are still a 5th seed team, would be 6th if Ingram didn’t get injured
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#83 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm

Luka is great but unfortunately James harden did it 1st and better with worse… and still lost the mvp to giannas, you gotta win
losmi
Junior
And1: 563

Post#84 » by losmi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:08 pm

Petergrifindor wrote:
losmi wrote:
Stealth1 wrote:Mavs would be second in the East. If nuggets finish in 3rd place with maybe 5 more wins is that really enough to give Jokic a 3rd MVP over this guy, when seeding is really the only argument against Luka?

No, seeding is not an argument against Luka. The argument is that Jokic has had statistically better season and 8 wins more. There's actually no argument for Luka over Jokic other than some made up nonsense from social media.

It’s funny how people just choose to ignore 8 points and 1 assist per game difference in favor of the advanced stats. Just because they are so “advanced”.

8 points difference it’s HUGE at the level these two are playing.

It's funny how people just choose to single out 8 points and 1 assist per game while ignoring everything else because it is "advanced".
losmi
Junior

Post#85 » by losmi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:12 pm

zzzyyxyyxzzz wrote:
losmi wrote:No, seeding is not an argument against Luka. The argument is that Jokic has had statistically better season and 8 wins more. There's actually no argument for Luka over Jokic other than some made up nonsense from social media.

Wow, just wow. If seeding isn't an argument, then Luka should be the MVP. And I'm not even going to give my thoughts as to why (just look at what MVP stands for - definitely not most efficient or best advanced metrics...), because I assume you'll say I got it off social media.

Nikola is the best player in the world today. It doesn't make him the 2023-24 NBA MVP (although he'll get the award).

Can't wait for next year when Luka will be denied because his stats will be down across the board, regardless of seeding.

So you're saying Luka should be the MVP but you don't want to explain why. Thank you for your contribution.
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,130

Post#86 » by mpoo_sin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:16 pm

deneem4 wrote:Luka is great but unfortunately James harden did it 1st and better with worse… and still lost the mvp to giannas, you gotta win

He will have the best season from a offensive production point in NBA history. Do not belittle this achievement by trying to put him on the same lvl as prime Harden. This season tops Hardens best.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,004

Post#87 » by Archx » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:21 pm

deneem4 wrote:
Archx wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Yes gafford has always been ultra efficient which is why wiz fans was mad we didn’t get enough back for him

Are you saying he’s made kyrie better?
Pj been playing the same as he was a hornet
Exum is exum
They are better than they were last year obviously , but what about the years before with the bad players you named, record still the same as now? Or marginally better?

"Exum is Exum.." He was Exum in Serbia last year, probably no one expected him to even sniff NBA again.

So i have to apologize because i don't know if you're asking a serious question or you just want to start a riot with Mavs community :lol:

Otherwise my response and explanation would be 2 pages long dating all the way back to 2018 probably. So i'll just say you have your own opinion, it's fine, but Mavs fans and (luckily) a lot of other fans, know better.

Dante exum???

You argued that he doesn't make his teammates better, i never even mentioned MVP race.

Then what was your point of Exum, why did you bring him up? Exum is having his best NBA year so far.

Mavs are "only" 5th seed because they got plagued by injuries in the 1st half ot he season. Half of the rotational guys missed a lot of games. So, the fact that they're now 5th seed when finally somehow healthy, is quite an accomplishment. They also have 2nd best record since the trade deadline after the Celtics.

But i don't know what even is your argument anymore at this point, MVP race or how Luka doesn't make his team better? I'm actually confused.
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:23 pm

mpoo_sin wrote:
deneem4 wrote:Luka is great but unfortunately James harden did it 1st and better with worse… and still lost the mvp to giannas, you gotta win

He will have the best season from a offensive production point in NBA history. Do not belittle this achievement by trying to put him on the same lvl as prime Harden. This season tops Hardens best.

No it doesn’t harden had the rockets as the 1st seed please don’t disrespect prime harden
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:26 pm

Archx wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Dante exum???

You argued that he doesn't make his teammates better, i never even mentioned MVP race.

Then what was your point of Exum, why did you bring him up? Exum is having his best NBA year so far.

Mavs are "only" 5th seed because they got plagued by injuries in the 1st half ot he season. Half of the rotational guys missed a lot of games. So, the fact that they're now 5th seed when finally somehow healthy, is quite an accomplishment. They also have 2nd best record since the trade deadline after the Celtics.

But i don't know what even is your argument anymore at this point, MVP race or how Luka doesn't make his team better? I'm actually confused.

It correlates, kyrie is kyrie
Gafford n pj are playing the same as the was on the other teams
I don’t see a luka effect on those 3 guys

U also brought up his old teammates who he also ended with the same record with 2 years ago….so where’s the mvp difference
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,130

Post#90 » by mpoo_sin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:35 pm

:noway:
deneem4 wrote:
mpoo_sin wrote:

No it doesn’t harden had the rockets as the 1st seed please don’t disrespect prime harden
losmi
Junior

Post#91 » by losmi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:41 pm

hagredionis wrote:
losmi wrote:
Stealth1 wrote:Mavs would be second in the East. If nuggets finish in 3rd place with maybe 5 more wins is that really enough to give Jokic a 3rd MVP over this guy, when seeding is really the only argument against Luka?

No, seeding is not an argument against Luka. The argument is that Jokic has had statistically better season and 8 wins more. There's actually no argument for Luka over Jokic other than some made up nonsense from social media.

There absolutely is an argument for Luka, the Mavs had a terrible luck with injuries this season with Kyrie, Lively, J.Green, Exum and Kleber all missing many games. That's 3 starters btw. That Luka managed to keep the team above .500 during those injuries is nothing short of incredible considering how competitive the Western Conference is this season. The 8 wins more is simply the results of the Mavs struggling with the injuries and can't be used as argument to have Jokic over Luka.

And Jokic managed to keep the team with no bench, no stars, no accolades, no other consistent players, and 2nd option missing 23 games, at .700 for the whole season. That's nothing short of incredible.
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:48 pm

mpoo_sin wrote::noway:
deneem4 wrote:
mpoo_sin wrote:

Nobody knocking luka, jus reminding you, we seen this before and with better win results and less help
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,340

Post#93 » by Bornstellar » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:48 pm

I think the fact that he has so many 1st team appearances already proves that he has been rated fairly. When discussing the top 5 players in the NBA he is always one of the players mentioned and is routinely in the MVP discussions. Have we grown accustomed to the crazy stats he puts up nightly? Maybe. But that doesn't mean he's underrated
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,660

Post#94 » by bisme37 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:13 pm

I was down on Luka as MVP just a month or two ago when the Mavs were in the play-in bracket but now that the team is winning at a high rate I have him #2 behind Jokic. And it's so close I really wouldn't mind if Luka won MVP. He's been incredible.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#95 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:20 pm

Luka is a Finals appearance away from being the best player in the league.

I had him #6 before the season. He's clearly proven he's at worst the 3rd best player in the league.

My top 3 in order Jokic/Embiid/Luka
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#96 » by Ambrose » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:25 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Luka is a Finals appearance away from being the best player in the league.

I had him #6 before the season. He's clearly proven he's at worst the 3rd best player in the league.

Glad to see you've updated your rankings.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#97 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:27 pm

Ambrose wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Luka is a Finals appearance away from being the best player in the league.

Glad to see you've updated your rankings.
I'm fair minded. Always was a fan of Luka. He's made me a believer so far. Hopefully he finally gets his team over the hump in the playoffs. He's quickly coming for Jokic as the best player in the league.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,540

Post#98 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:38 pm

Luka is absolutely amazing, but any team that requires a guy to put up those kind of stats regularly ain’t going far.

But he’s definitely not underrated lol. Feel like everyone acknowledges he’s a bad mofo.
hagredionis
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#99 » by hagredionis » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:45 pm

losmi wrote:
hagredionis wrote:
losmi wrote:

There absolutely is an argument for Luka, the Mavs had a terrible luck with injuries this season with Kyrie, Lively, J.Green, Exum and Kleber all missing many games. That's 3 starters btw. That Luka managed to keep the team above .500 during those injuries is nothing short of incredible considering how competitive the Western Conference is this season. The 8 wins more is simply the results of the Mavs struggling with the injuries and can't be used as argument to have Jokic over Luka.

And Jokic managed to keep the team with no bench, no stars, no accolades, no other consistent players, and 2nd option missing 23 games, at .700 for the whole season. That's nothing short of incredible.

The Mavs had the following missing games due to injury:
Kyrie 22
Lively 24
J.Green 25
Kleber 38
Exum 26

It's clear that the Mavs had a much worse luck with the injuries this season than the Nuggets. Just check how many starting line-up they had to you use.
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,475

Post#100 » by Yuri36 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:47 pm

So you put Embiid above Luka and at the same time, you're saying he is a Finals appearance away from being the best player in the league? Despite the fact Luka has already performed FAR better than Embiid coming POs time?

That's some really strange logic to say the least.

Return to The General Board