2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mavericks vs. Clippers Series Result

Mavericks SWEEP!
2%
Mavericks 4-1
7%
Mavericks 4-2
42%
Mavericks 4-3
15%
Clippers SWEEP!
5%
Clippers 4-1
2%
Clippers 4-2
14%
Clippers 4-3
13%

Total votes: 351

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,251

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1841 » by Clemenza » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:54 pm

Swish77 wrote:Crazy thing is The Clippers still haven't see the Real Luka or Kyrie yet and that's really scary.

And the Mavs haven't seen the real Kawhi yet. Also 40 plus minutes for Luka and Kyrie and them having to do 75% of the scoring might take its toll as the series goes on.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,028

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1842 » by Archx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:57 pm

og15 wrote:Yea, sounds about right, can't score if you don't take shots, and I'm not particularly sure the Mavs have anyone in mind they want to push more shots to.

Crazy to think Tim Hardaway jr. used to be Mavs 2nd or 3rd scorer in previous LAC series. And that was still with KP on the team. We hoped THJ could provide serious boost from the bench but his downfall has been simply incredible.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,092

Post#1843 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:40 pm

og15 wrote:[

Yea, sounds about right, can't score if you don't take shots, and I'm not particularly sure the Mavs have anyone in mind they want to push more shots to.

Oh they'd love to have Gafford/Lively combine for 15-20 shots a night because those are all going to be at the rim mostly dunks. And I think they'll still take wide open 3's even if this current rotation is really light on knockdown shooting.

But Clippers have mostly been defending Luka with one, only on occasion going to the blitz. Which means more shots are going to get used by Luka.

But yeah make no mistake there is no 3rd option here. They talked after the trade about wanting PJ to be that, but he's not up for that. Timmy hasn't been right in months. And there is nobody else.

Can Gafford get out of his head and can his back be right and put pressure on the rim? That would really help. Barring that expect the Mavs offense to ride or die with the stars.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,442

Post#1844 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:12 am

Archx wrote:
og15 wrote:Yea, sounds about right, can't score if you don't take shots, and I'm not particularly sure the Mavs have anyone in mind they want to push more shots to.

Crazy to think Tim Hardaway jr. used to be Mavs 2nd or 3rd scorer in previous LAC series. And that was still with KP on the team. We hoped THJ could provide serious boost from the bench but his downfall has been simply incredible.

Stat-wise he's still the 3rd highest scorer for the Mavs this season, with his 40% from the floor shooting percentage. I hope that changes this summer. That is my biggest concern is who's going to score besides Luka/Kyrie who can give you 60 in their sleep, the playoff average for a team is 100 we just need 40 from the rest of the team and haven't gotten it yet in either game.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,341

Post#1845 » by og15 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:35 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
og15 wrote:[

Yea, sounds about right, can't score if you don't take shots, and I'm not particularly sure the Mavs have anyone in mind they want to push more shots to.

Oh they'd love to have Gafford/Lively combine for 15-20 shots a night because those are all going to be at the rim mostly dunks. And I think they'll still take wide open 3's even if this current rotation is really light on knockdown shooting.

But Clippers have mostly been defending Luka with one, only on occasion going to the blitz. Which means more shots are going to get used by Luka.

But yeah make no mistake there is no 3rd option here. They talked after the trade about wanting PJ to be that, but he's not up for that. Timmy hasn't been right in months. And there is nobody else.

Can Gafford get out of his head and can his back be right and put pressure on the rim? That would really help. Barring that expect the Mavs offense to ride or die with the stars.

Yea, definitely would like to get the rim runners more looks, but like mentioned, those guys rely on the two main guys to produce those looks based on how the defense guards them.
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#1846 » by MassimoPayne » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 am

I mean this series can obviousley go either way.
We did not see the real Kawhi yet. Can we? I don't know. Tbh it does not look like it.
We also did not see the real Luka yet nevertheless he hit big shots in last game.
The Mavs won in LA without Gafford and Lively being a factor and without Luka or Kyrie scoring 40+. This sounds pretty promising as a Dallas fan.
Big questions for me is now: Who is more scared to lose it all now? Dallas or LA? Looking at how the Clippers team is built aged and contract wise I would say for them is a lot to lose. Higher pressure than the Mavs that just won 3/4 quarters before caming back home.
Let's see how Harden and co. can deal with this pressure
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#1847 » by Swish77 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:47 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Swish77 wrote:Crazy thing is The Clippers still haven't see the Real Luka or Kyrie yet and that's really scary.

And the Mavs haven't seen the real Kawhi yet. Also 40 plus minutes for Luka and Kyrie and them having to do 75% of the scoring might take its toll as the series goes on.

I'm not scared of Kawhi. It wont take a toll there's days off between games and 2 days off for travel. Luka and Kyrie will be fine. Our roll players haven't really got going yet.
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#1848 » by Swish77 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:I mean this series can obviousley go either way.
We did not see the real Kawhi yet. Can we? I don't know. Tbh it does not look like it.
We also did not see the real Luka yet nevertheless he hit big shots in last game.
The Mavs won in LA without Gafford and Lively being a factor and without Luka or Kyrie scoring 40+. This sounds pretty promising as a Dallas fan.
Big questions for me is now: Who is more scared to lose it all now? Dallas or LA? Looking at how the Clippers team is built aged and contract wise I would say for them is a lot to lose. Higher pressure than the Mavs that just won 3/4 quarters before caming back home.
Let's see how Harden and co. can deal with this pressure

AAC will be really really loud. Fans will be going NUTS. I can't wait!
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,341

Post#1849 » by og15 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:32 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

I'm not scared of Kawhi. It wont take a toll there's days off between games and 2 days off for travel. Luka and Kyrie will be fine. Our roll players haven't really got going yet.

Healthy Kawhi is the only guy to be truly "scared" of on the Clippers. If the Kawhi we saw last game is what we're getting this series though, then there's nothing to be scared of. His movement looked like he aged 10 years.

Of course as Clippers fans we're hoping that was just rust and his body ramping up and we see the version who averaged 30/8/5 on 53/38 his previous 26 playoffs games as a Clipper.

Kawhi closed out the past series' vs Dallas with:
32 pts, 67% TS, 7 rebs, 4 ast
33 pts 67% TS, 14 rebs, 7 ast

45 pts 84% TS, 6 rebs, 3 ast
28 pts 77% TS, 10 rebs, 9 ast
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,530

Post#1850 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:46 pm

I personally have hard time thinking of scarier player than Kawhi Leonard...
I think both teams understand and appreciate the offensive threats the other team poses, and that's why we're seeing the level of defense being played.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,583

Post#1851 » by Bob8 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:49 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I personally have hard time thinking of scarier player than Kawhi Leonard...
I think both teams understand and appreciate the offensive threats the other team poses, and that's why we're seeing the level of defense being played.

I can, 3 years younger Kawhi, playing against team with no wing defenders and 0 rim protection. ;)
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,092

Post#1852 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 pm

yeah Kawhi still scares me. And I'm sure Maxi still has PTSD.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1853 » by Bob8 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:yeah Kawhi still scares me. And I'm sure Maxi still has PTSD.

Unless Washington gets one quickly Mavs should be ok and I'm pretty sure I won't see Boban on C this year. It was not exactly the coincidence that Kawhi had the best series of his life against Mavs.
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#1854 » by Swish77 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 pm

og15 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:And the Mavs haven't seen the real Kawhi yet. Also 40 plus minutes for Luka and Kyrie and them having to do 75% of the scoring might take its toll as the series goes on.

Healthy Kawhi is the only guy to be truly "scared" of on the Clippers. If the Kawhi we saw last game is what we're getting this series though, then there's nothing to be scared of. His movement looked like he aged 10 years.

Of course as Clippers fans we're hoping that was just rust and his body ramping up and we see the version who averaged 30/8/5 on 53/38 his previous 26 playoffs games as a Clipper.

Again I'm not scare of Kawhi healthy or not it doesn't scare me. Luka is the best player in this series. Plain and simple. This Mavs team isnt the same as the 2 teams yall played before.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,596

Post#1855 » by Baz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 pm

Swish77 wrote:
og15 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Again I'm not scare of Kawhi healthy or not it doesn't scare me. Luka is the best player in this series. Plain and simple. This Mavs team isnt the same as the 2 teams yall played before.

You would be very naive to not be scared of a healthy Kawhi Leonard. He's certainly capable of being the best player in the series. Whether the Mavs or Clippers win this series it's going 6 or 7 games and will be hard fought.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1856 » by Bob8 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 pm

Baz wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
og15 wrote:Healthy Kawhi is the only guy to be truly "scared" of on the Clippers. If the Kawhi we saw last game is what we're getting this series though, then there's nothing to be scared of. His movement looked like he aged 10 years.

You would be very naive to not be scared of a healthy Kawhi Leonard. He's certainly capable of being the best player in the series. Whether the Mavs or Clippers win this series it's going 6 or 7 games and will be hard fought.

I don't understand why anyone should be scared of anyone? And when someone plays Jokic, they better forfeit the series? Luka is clearly better player than Kawhi at the moment, that doesn't mean Clippers can't win or should be scared of Luka, they just need to limit him.

Nobody knows how long will the series last, but we know that the team, who/if wins next 2 will be in pretty good position. Mavs are playing next 2 at home so should feel optimistic.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,442

Post#1857 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:07 pm

More than Kawhi I'm scared of the Mavs scoring outside of Luka and Kyrie, because they've scored only 29 points and 35 points in the first two games. That got us 1-1 because of our defense but that's not sustainable. Or should I say Clippers shooting 36% is not sustainable.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,028

Post#1858 » by Archx » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:08 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:More than Kawhi I'm scared of the Mavs scoring outside of Luka and Kyrie, because they've scored only 29 points and 35 points in the first two games. That got us 1-1 because of our defense but that's not sustainable. Or should I say Clippers shooting 36% is not sustainable.

The only thing consistent with Mavs in the past few months was their defense, while their role players were pretty much a roller coaster ride. So, if their defense continues to hold then i'm optimistic.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,084

Post#1859 » by sunsbg » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 pm

I want Gm7 like Gm1 I won't hide it though I have bet on the Mavs. :lol:
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,731

Post#1860 » by Clav » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 pm

og15 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:And the Mavs haven't seen the real Kawhi yet. Also 40 plus minutes for Luka and Kyrie and them having to do 75% of the scoring might take its toll as the series goes on.

On point. If there's a player to be scared about, it's Kawhi. The one caveat here for Swish's side is that KAwhi didn't look that effective in G2 so we all wonder about that knee of his. Hope it's feeling better so we get all players near the top of their game for G3
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:

Return to The General Board