2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Mavericks vs. Clippers Series Result

Mavericks SWEEP!
2%
Mavericks 4-1
7%
Mavericks 4-2
43%
Mavericks 4-3
15%
Clippers SWEEP!
5%
Clippers 4-1
2%
Clippers 4-2
14%
Clippers 4-3
13%

Total votes: 352

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,129

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 3-2) 

Post#4221 » by sunsbg » Thu May 2, 2024 1:24 pm

Petergrifindor wrote:If Mavs pass, I think they will obliterate OKC.

Not a believer in this young OKC team either. If Kyrie keeps playing so well, Luka can rest in that series, hunting for rebounds while letting Giddey take open 3s like in the RS game Mavs obliterated them. Odds will be even so good betting opportunity.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 3-2) 

Post#4222 » by bbms » Thu May 2, 2024 3:51 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:Mavs will dummy OKC, without a doubt in my mind. Luka will remind everyone that he's on a completely different tier than SGA and that any comparisons throughout the season were foolish.

so if okc beats mavs is a reminder that sga is on a completely different tier than luka?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,698

Post#4223 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 2, 2024 4:03 pm

bbms wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Mavs will dummy OKC, without a doubt in my mind. Luka will remind everyone that he's on a completely different tier than SGA and that any comparisons throughout the season were foolish.

so if okc beats mavs is a reminder that sga is on a completely different tier than luka?

:D

Yeah odd take and a dangerous one for a Luka fan. SGA's team is the top seed. Dallas took to the last week to avoid the play-in.

Both guys are MVP candidates for reasons.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,399

Post#4224 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 2, 2024 4:11 pm

bbms wrote:

It'd be nice if we could stop pretending the best player on a team is the entire team. That goes for both people I've quoted.

If SGA completely outplayed Luka then sure, but if Luka plays fantastic and OKC as a team beats Dallas does that mean SGA is on a completely different tier than Luka? No it doesn't. SGA's team, while younger, is deeper than Dallas. Same would go if SGA played great but Dallas beat OKC.

Maybe this is the start of a rivalry where they meet up multiple times in the playoffs and one wins this time the other wins the other time. Until one shows dominance in multiple playoffs then they're not on a different tier than the other.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#4225 » by bbms » Thu May 2, 2024 5:10 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
bbms wrote:

It'd be nice if we could stop pretending the best player on a team is the entire team. That goes for both people I've quoted.

If SGA completely outplayed Luka then sure, but if Luka plays fantastic and OKC as a team beats Dallas does that mean SGA is on a completely different tier than Luka? No it doesn't. SGA's team, while younger, is deeper than Dallas. Same would go if SGA played great but Dallas beat OKC.

Maybe this is the start of a rivalry where they meet up multiple times in the playoffs and one wins this time the other wins the other time. Until one shows dominance in multiple playoffs then they're not on a different tier than the other.

both are among nba elite and the series won't change that at all (unless it develops into a rivalry wich is always great for us)

c'mon
Texas Chuck

Post#4226 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 2, 2024 5:19 pm

bbms wrote: (unless it develops into a rivalry wich is always great for us)

Shame Dallas aged out as OKC rose. We got two series but neither really competitive. First time a young OKC wasn't remotely ready for Dirk and all those veterans and by the following year the massive talent gap was just too much for an older, less-talented Dallas team.

Would be fun to have a northern rival to replace the Spurs(though they are likely coming with Wemby). But it feels like last time. If Dallas can get to OKC this year, they need to go ahead and get by them now, because at some point Presti is going to start cashing in assets and I'd expect a major addition to OKC as soon as this summer. No reason to wait now that you've seen that Chet is legit and you've won the conference.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,457

Post#4227 » by WestbrookGOATed » Thu May 2, 2024 6:22 pm

This entire comment is foolish. But, it's a great example of why I want the Mavs so bad. Because I believe this series will solidify SGA as the MVP and the Luka Lovers will have to sulk. I can already see it now, "LuKa WaSnT hEaLtHy"
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran

Post#4228 » by WestbrookGOATed » Thu May 2, 2024 6:26 pm

sunsbg wrote:

Not a believer in this young OKC team either. If Kyrie keeps playing so well, Luka can rest in that series, hunting for rebounds while letting Giddey take open 3s like in the RS game Mavs obliterated them. Odds will be even so good betting opportunity.
Giddey is shooting 50% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game in the playoffs.
Texas Chuck

Post#4229 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 2, 2024 6:27 pm

WestbrookGOATed wrote:"LuKa WaSnT hEaLtHy"

If Dallas gets past LA. And loses to OKC. You will definitely see some of this.

but as Luka himself says--if he's out there then there are no excuses. If you aren't in condition to help the team then you shouldn't be playing. There is no injury excuse.

But Luka doesn't need excuses. His team might not see the WCF, but not worried about his level of play at all.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,529

Post#4230 » by mademan » Thu May 2, 2024 6:27 pm

WestbrookGOATed wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Giddey is shooting 50% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game in the playoffs.

Giddey has shot well so i dont think westbrook-ing him will work out well. The bigger concern for OKC is size. Lively/Gafford/PJ is a big, athletic and physical trio and they gave the Thunder problems in the RS. Dort and Shai play bigger than they are, but there is a big disparity in size up front
Texas Chuck

Post#4231 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 2, 2024 6:34 pm

mademan wrote:Giddey has shot well so i dont think westbrook-ing him will work out well. The bigger concern for OKC is size. Lively/Gafford/PJ is a big, athletic and physical trio and they gave the Thunder problems in the RS. Dort and Shai play bigger than they are, but there is a big disparity in size up front

I think Dallas is going to test that shooting. Dallas encouraged him to take a high volume of 3's and basically all of them wide open and he couldn't make enough to make them defend him. If he can keep shooting 50% Dallas will have to defend him honestly, but I think they make him prove that to them before not trying to make him a volume 3-pt shooter.

I think SGA in the paint scares them far more and trying to limit that will be priorities 1, 2, and 3. If Williams and Giddey can beat them, you shake their hands.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,595

Post#4232 » by GeorgeSears » Thu May 2, 2024 6:34 pm

Luka looked like the best player in the league last night, again. It's a matter of time before it's inevitable.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,887

Post#4233 » by SK21209 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:38 pm

A lot of Thunder vs. Mavericks talk in a thread for a playoff series that isn't over yet. We've the Clippers beat Dallas twice without Kawhi, I'd be surprised but not shocked if they did it again in Game 6. But ultimately I do expect Dallas to advance and give us a really fun series against OKC.
mademan
RealGM

Post#4234 » by mademan » Thu May 2, 2024 6:40 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
mademan wrote:Giddey has shot well so i dont think westbrook-ing him will work out well. The bigger concern for OKC is size. Lively/Gafford/PJ is a big, athletic and physical trio and they gave the Thunder problems in the RS. Dort and Shai play bigger than they are, but there is a big disparity in size up front

I think Dallas is going to test that shooting. Dallas encouraged him to take a high volume of 3's and basically all of them wide open and he couldn't make enough to make them defend him. If he can keep shooting 50% Dallas will have to defend him honestly, but I think they make him prove that to them before not trying to make him a volume 3-pt shooter.

I think SGA in the paint scares them far more and trying to limit that will be priorities 1, 2, and 3. If Williams and Giddey can beat them, you shake their hands.

Ya no doubt. And i have no problem trying the strategy, but giving a 34% shooter open shots isnt a great strategy. I put him in the same category as DJJ as a shooter, and it wouldnt be a good strategy to leave him alone from the corner all game either. If he's in his head and missing shots tho, thats a big win if Gafford can stick in the paint, or theyre forced to take him off the court making the size and rebounding disparity even larger.
mademan
RealGM

Post#4235 » by mademan » Thu May 2, 2024 6:41 pm

SK21209 wrote:A lot of Thunder vs. Mavericks talk in a thread for a playoff series that isn't over yet. We've the Clippers beat Dallas twice without Kawhi, I'd be surprised but not shocked if they did it again in Game 6. But ultimately I do expect Dallas to advance and give us a really fun series against OKC.

Clippers invited this disrespect with their effort last night.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,755

Post#4236 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:44 pm

I think some people in this thread are getting a little ahead of themselves, acting as if OKC vs DAL is inevitable. This series has been completely unpredictable. I'm not sure I can remember a series with less consistency from game to game, or where the outcomes tend to stray so far from pre-game predictions. You hear Kawhi wont play game 1, you assume the Mavs should come out and send a message at the start of the series... Clips win game 1 easily. You hear Kawhi is back for game 2, and you start thinking the Mavs are in trouble... Mavs win. Game 3 was about what I expected. Game 4, again you hear Kawhi is out and youre saying to yourself, there's no way the Mavs are gonna let a Kawhi-less Clippers team beat them in another playoff game, especially not on their home court... Clips win. You hear Luka is really hurting heading into game 5, and the Clips have already won all their games without Kawhi. Heading home in a series swaying kind of game you think the Clippers will get the series lead back.... Clips lose by 30.

So do i think it would make the most sense for the Mavs to close this out at home in game 6? Of Course. Am I confident that's going to happen, knowing how everything else has gone in this series? No, I'm not confident at all. All of the players in this series are having wild consistency swings. Luka looks off, Luka looks great. Harden is on fire, Harden disappears. PG cant hit a shot, PG cant miss a shot. Who the hell knows whats gonna happen Friday?
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#4237 » by UglyBugBall » Thu May 2, 2024 6:56 pm

WestbrookGOATed wrote:
This entire comment is foolish. But, it's a great example of why I want the Mavs so bad. Because I believe this series will solidify SGA as the MVP and the Luka Lovers will have to sulk. I can already see it now, "LuKa WaSnT hEaLtHy"

Luka playng on a busted knee, you think that's funny? If he does outplay SG on one knee, it would pretty clearly establish him as a tier above, which most of that have watched the two of them already know. SGA is one of the best players in the game today. Luka is one of the best players in the history of the game. It's like comparing the Mailman to the Dream. They're both great, but one is clearly greater.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran

Post#4238 » by WestbrookGOATed » Thu May 2, 2024 7:33 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
WestbrookGOATed wrote:

Luka playng on a busted knee, you think that's funny? If he does outplay SG on one knee, it would pretty clearly establish him as a tier above, which most of that have watched the two of them already know. SGA is one of the best players in the game today. Luka is one of the best players in the history of the game. It's like comparing the Mailman to the Dream. They're both great, but one is clearly greater.
You're solidifying my comment. If Luka outplays Shai on 1 knee he's CLEARLY better. If he doesn't and the Mavs lose it was because of Lukas knee. See what I mean? You're setting up a scenario where no matter what Luka comes out on top :lol:
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran

Post#4239 » by WestbrookGOATed » Thu May 2, 2024 7:38 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
WestbrookGOATed wrote:

I get your bias as a Mavs fan, I'm also obviously a tad biased as a Thunder fan. But to say Luka is one of the best players in the history of the game? That's a knee slapper. The guy has made one conference finals appearance in 5 years. He and Shai were in the same draft yet he's accomplished nothing more except for his 1 trip to the WCF. Man, that's some really hard-core homerism :lol:
Texas Chuck

Post#4240 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 2, 2024 7:44 pm

SK21209 wrote:A lot of Thunder vs. Mavericks talk in a thread for a playoff series that isn't over yet. .

I'm intentionally disrespecting the Clippers out of pure pettiness. Can't speak for anyone else, but after 3 series in the Luka era and having lost the first two, and more of the physical nonsense on Luka, I'm over the Clip Joint.

When they come back and win the next 2, I'm here to take all the mockery anyone wants to send my way though. I promise I'll eat it all.

Return to The General Board