2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 3-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mavericks vs. Clippers Series Result

Mavericks SWEEP!
2%
Mavericks 4-1
8%
Mavericks 4-2
41%
Mavericks 4-3
15%
Clippers SWEEP!
5%
Clippers 4-1
2%
Clippers 4-2
14%
Clippers 4-3
13%

Total votes: 345

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,915

2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 3-2) 

Post#1 » by durden_tyler » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:10 am

Game 5: Wed May 1 at 10pmET on TNT

3 play dates to go, plus play-in games and yet here we are with this first round series set already (rather a rare one considering the chaos in the seedings in the East and West).

Disappointed in RealGM that we don’t have a stickied thread yet

Homecourt pending (likely LAC but DAL is surging so who knows, plus this is the best time for “load management” from both sides since you’d rather be healthy in that series)

So who’s advancing from this lovely rivalry (recent at least)? Which one is the favored squad? Will Kawhi play or be healthy? Can the Mavs— led by Luka and Kyrie continue their excellent form of late?

Read on Twitter
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,082

Re: West Playoffs - 1st Round: Mavericks vs. Clippers 

Post#2 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 am

I’m getting flashbacks to their 2020 and 2021 series and salivating. Those were some of the most dramatic first round series I’ve ever watched, especially ‘21 where Luka and Kawhi took turns looking superhuman. I’m not sure we give enough credit to either player for their play in those series.

The issue is, I have this pit in my stomach reading about Kawhi’s mysterious knee injury. It seems all too familiar. I’m guessing Mavs in 5/6, with Kawhi not finishing the series.
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,956

Post#3 » by Dubious Handles » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:10 am

Calling it now this will be the best series of this years Playoffs. Hoping for a healthy Kawhi as well!
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,853

Post#4 » by Quattro » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:11 am

Hmm. Do I cheer for Harden or Kyrie. Tough one
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,848

Post#5 » by RB34 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:13 am

Luka gonna go scorched earth
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,547

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:17 am

I see a 3.5 — 3.5 final result with no bigger than a +/- 0.5 margin mistake!
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,616

Post#7 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:31 am

Really crummy reward for Luka's great play. This is his worst match up.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,014

Post#8 » by Archx » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:43 am

One_and_Done wrote:Really crummy reward for Luka's great play. This is his worst match up.

I would say Wolves with long athletic defenders. He basically always had insane numbers vs LAC. I was actually hoping Mavs play LAC instead of Wolves in the 1st round.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,356

Post#9 » by SpreeS » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:45 am

DAL with Doncic has 14 wins in last 15 games. The hottest team in NBA at the moment. One side of the PO brakets could be way more loaded than other.

DEN/DAL/LAC/(LAL/GSW/SAC)
MIN/OKC/NOLA/PHO (SAC)

I could say that DAL is second best team in the West how they paly now.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,264

Post#10 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:02 pm

This is a bad matchup for the Mavericks. Both teams have gotten more talented since the last series. Last time Jalen Brunson was 8 ppg playoff scorer against the Clippers and KP was injured and not mentally in it. Rick Carlisle basically told him to stand in the corner.

Now the Mavs are healthy (the only player coming in injured is Dereck Lively) and they rolling. In the last 20 and 10 games they are number 1 one in defensive rating and number 5 in offensive rating. They are also number one in wins, winning 16 out of 20.

The challenge is the big 3 because Luka and Irving have to guard one of them.

Harden - Derrick Jones (lengthy and pesky defender that can take away passing lanes)
Mann - Irving (Dont see him guarding and there is nobody else for him)
Paul George - Luka (PG got the least "takeover" the game playstyle IMO. He will get his, but Harden will handle the ball and Kawhi will be the clutch scorer)
Kawhi Leonard - PJ. Washington (P.J has been awesome defensively. He is very strong and an annoying player to go up against)
Zubac - Gafford (It will be interesting to see how Zubac handles Gafford. Gafford brings a lot of energy and hustle)

I think the Mavs take this one. The Clippers will struggle to get going because of the defense and lose trust in the offense. The way the Clippers win is if Harden takes all bad experience from the playoffs and becomes some sort of Chris Paul player, making all the right reads and setting up Kawhi and PG. They need a lot of movement and team play. The help defense for the Mavs has been fantastic. They are rotating really well, so the Clipps have to bring their A-game.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,283

Post#11 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:08 pm

As far as the losing coach of this series:

GamecockFan1024
Junior
And1: 371

Post#12 » by GamecockFan1024 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:10 pm

All depends on the health of Kawhi quite honestly. I think LAC is a bad matchup for the Mavericks overall. Luka and Kyrie will get theirs obviously, but they don't have enough wings to slow down the Clips. I think the Clippers take it if Kawhi comes back 100%.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,457

Post#13 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:15 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:This is a bad matchup for the Mavericks. Both teams have gotten more talented since the last series. Last time Jalen Brunson was 8 ppg playoff scorer against the Clippers and KP was injured and not mentally in it. Rick Carlisle basically told him to stand in the corner.

Now the Mavs are healthy (the only player coming in injured is Dereck Lively) and they rolling. In the last 20 and 10 games they are number 1 one in defensive rating and number 5 in offensive rating. They are also number one in wins, winning 16 out of 20.

Harden - Derrick Jones (lengthy and pesky defender that can take away passing lanes)
Paul George - Luka (PG got the least "takeover" the game playstyle IMO. He will get his, but Harden will handle the ball and Kawhi will be the clutch scorer)
Kawhi Leonard - PJ. Washington (P.J has been awesome defensively. He is very strong and an annoying player to go up against)
Zubac - Gafford (It will be interesting to see how Zubac handles Gafford. Gafford brings a lot of energy and hustle)

I think the Mavs take this one. The Clippers will struggle to get going because of the defense and lose trust in the offense. The way the Clippers win is if Harden takes all bad experience from the playoffs and becomes some sort of Chris Paul player, making all the right reads and setting up Kawhi and PG. They need a lot of movement and team play. The help defense for the Mavs has been fantastic. They are rotating really well, so the Clipps have to bring their A-game.

Leonard could be a little rusty for the playoffs too as i dont see him playing until the playoffs start. Mavs definitely have the momentum and the length with Gafford and hopefully Lively to protect the paint. Kleber has been playing well too. Im a homer obviously but i like the Mavs in this one.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,457

Post#14 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:17 pm

GamecockFan1024 wrote:All depends on the health of Kawhi quite honestly. I think LAC is a bad matchup for the Mavericks overall. Luka and Kyrie will get theirs obviously, but they don't have enough wings to slow down the Clips. I think the Clippers take it if Kawhi comes back 100%.

Josh Green, Jones, and PJ are all solid defenders. PJ has been tremendous defensively.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,517

Post#15 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:18 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:This is a bad matchup for the Mavericks. Both teams have gotten more talented since the last series. Last time Jalen Brunson was 8 ppg playoff scorer against the Clippers and KP was injured and not mentally in it. Rick Carlisle basically told him to stand in the corner.

DJJ will be on PG13, one of Luka or Kyrie will be on Harden, most likely Kyrie, Harden will try to hunt Luka anyway, it'll be interesting if Kidd switches or continues to protect Luka.
It'll be small ball series IMO, PJ/Luka/DJJ/Exum/Kyrie lineup will play a lot and Maxi will play play a lot.
Huge X-factor for the Clippers was Batum, he allowed the Clippers to go small ball and killed the Mavs, interesting who their small ball 5 will be, PJ Tucker isn't the spacer Batum was or the rim protector, I'd bet Kidd will just stop guarding him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,517

Post#16 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:24 pm

Read on Twitter
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,239

Post#17 » by lambchop » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:31 pm

MavsDirk41 wrote:
GamecockFan1024 wrote:All depends on the health of Kawhi quite honestly. I think LAC is a bad matchup for the Mavericks overall. Luka and Kyrie will get theirs obviously, but they don't have enough wings to slow down the Clips. I think the Clippers take it if Kawhi comes back 100%.

Josh Green, Jones, and PJ are all solid defenders. PJ has been tremendous defensively.

The issue with defending Kawhi is that he is very strong and has those mid range and close range jumpers down. PJ Washington is a nice defender, but probably too weak overall. That said, the Clips will probably have similar issues guarding Luka. PJ Tucker might actually be the clippers best defender on Luka, given his size and strength. Even is his finishes with zero points, it's not an issue, as long as Harden, Kawhi and PG are producing.

Will be interesting to see how Kyrie plays in this series too.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 456

Post#18 » by Ssj16 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:34 pm

At this juncture, I'm easily taking the Mavs. I don't see why LAC is a bad matchup.

It's true for a period of time, LAC was looking like the best team in the nba, but they have come back to earth since the all star break and they are looking like the Clippers who discombobulate in the playoffs for one reason or another and they have to face Luka at the peak of his powers with the best team he's played on in the NBA.

I'd be shocked if Clippers pull this one out.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,264

Post#19 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:38 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

DJJ will be on PG13, one of Luka or Kyrie will be on Harden, most likely Kyrie, Harden will try to hunt Luka anyway, it'll be interesting if Kidd switches or continues to protect Luka.
It'll be small ball series IMO, PJ/Luka/DJJ/Exum/Kyrie lineup will play a lot and Maxi will play play a lot.
Huge X-factor for the Clippers was Batum, he allowed the Clippers to go small ball and killed the Mavs, interesting who their small ball 5 will be, PJ Tucker isn't the spacer Batum was or the rim protector, I'd bet Kidd will just stop guarding him.

You are right. It will most likely go small ball.

They don't really have a small ball lineup in the classic sense that everybody can shoot 3-pointers while also having some muscle on help defense unless you run a lineup of Harden, Mann, Amir Coffey, PG, and Kawhi. That takes away the matchup problem because Luka and Ky can chill on Mann and Coffey while Jones, Washington, and Kleber+Josh Green defense the big 3.
https://www.82games.com/2324/2324LAC2.HTM
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,797

Post#20 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:44 pm

Something is telling me the Mavs finally take this one.

Luke will finally prove to just be too good. And the Kawhi knee tweak really concerns me.

Kyrie is balling and is a playoff menace when healthy, too.

Mavs in 7.
Go Raps!!

Return to The General Board