2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 2-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mavericks vs. Clippers Series Result

Mavericks SWEEP!
2%
Mavericks 4-1
8%
Mavericks 4-2
41%
Mavericks 4-3
16%
Clippers SWEEP!
4%
Clippers 4-1
2%
Clippers 4-2
14%
Clippers 4-3
13%

Total votes: 339

Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks 

Post#181 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:36 pm

jigga_man wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:For all of J-Kidd's coaching faults, he at least deserves credit for how well he had the Mavs prepared when they went into each round of the 2022 playoffs. Luka, Kyrie, DJJ, Exum, and Gafford are all too athletic. I just think the Clips are too old to hang with any team with that style over a 7 game matchup.. Especially if Kawhi is compromised.

If Lively is playing, I say Mavs in 5. Without him, I say Mavs in 7.

I understand fans tend to overstate the importance of their players but a rookie role player is not going to decide a series between 5 or 7 games. That's literally all star type of impact.

Lively's importance to the team is actually extremely high. When he's there, Dallas can play a good defensive big who can rim run for a full 48 minutes. When he's not, they have to make things work with Washington/Kleber/Powell when Gafford is off, guys who offer neither of those things.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,004

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks 

Post#182 » by Archx » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:45 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Well, when Chet is ignoring PJ Washington, we'll see how it goes.

Again, you know there were already two games where Chet played PJ/Gafford and couldn’t do jack? :roll:

The point isn't what Chet scores.

The point is that Luka will have to score against Jalen Williams and rim protection while SGA gets to fillet Kyrie/Luka and the Mavs have no one in the paint because PJ Washington is standing next to Chet and Gafford and Lively are out of the game.

What the hell are all those hypotheticals when you already had actual game examples of that? What you're talking is pure nonsense.

Also, the only guy who showed any resemblence of slowing down Doncic was Dort.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#183 » by dirkforpres » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:14 pm

jigga_man wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:For all of J-Kidd's coaching faults, he at least deserves credit for how well he had the Mavs prepared when they went into each round of the 2022 playoffs. Luka, Kyrie, DJJ, Exum, and Gafford are all too athletic. I just think the Clips are too old to hang with any team with that style over a 7 game matchup.. Especially if Kawhi is compromised.

I understand fans tend to overstate the importance of their players but a rookie role player is not going to decide a series between 5 or 7 games. That's literally all star type of impact.

The impact differential between Lively and Powell/Kleber cannot be overstated. He changes the entire way the Mavs operate on offense and defense when he’s healthy.

I have a feeling every single one of these Mavs-Clippers games will come down to the wire. Lively is the difference
FIRE JASON KIDD
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#184 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:32 pm

PeteyPablo wrote:ESPN is giving the Clippers a 56.8% chance to win game 1 on Sunday

ESPN always goes against the Mavs, they predicted Kyrie would fail in Dallas and Luka would leave, and then they gave us a D for our trade deadline LOL. So usually when ESPN goes against us good things happen. :lol:
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,462

Post#185 » by Slim Charlez » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm

Hopefully nephew is healthy so we get another classic series. Got Mavs in 7 but the Clippers looked like the best team in the league at one point so it could go either way.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,017

Post#186 » by ejftw » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:44 pm

PeteyPablo wrote:ESPN is giving the Clippers a 56.8% chance to win game 1 on Sunday

RGM gives Mavs a 500% to sweep, apparently
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,158

Post#187 » by jigga_man » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:45 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

ESPN always goes against the Mavs, they predicted Kyrie would fail in Dallas and Luka would leave, and then they gave us a D for our trade deadline LOL. So usually when ESPN goes against us good things happen. :lol:

LAC is playing at home and those odds are slightly better than a coin flip
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#188 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:49 pm

jigga_man wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Has the status of Kawhi been clarified? They've been very quiet on him. If he plays and is 100% I get it, but we don't know that.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,050

Post#189 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:04 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

They also predicted that the Mavs would trade Kyrie to the Lakers for all their bad contracts.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,320

Post#190 » by Scoundreldays » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:30 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
jigga_man wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Has the status of Kawhi been clarified? They've been very quiet on him. If he plays and is 100% I get it, but we don't know that.

Probably won't know until late Saturday early Sunday knowing Kawhi
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 711

Post#191 » by UglyBugBall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:35 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Again, you know there were already two games where Chet played PJ/Gafford and couldn’t do jack? :roll:

The point is that Luka will have to score against Jalen Williams and rim protection while SGA gets to fillet Kyrie/Luka and the Mavs have no one in the paint because PJ Washington is standing next to Chet and Gafford and Lively are out of the game.

And Gafford and Lively are out because....you said so?

Lol.

First of all, Mavs small ball unit with PJ and Maxi has a 99 Def Rating, by far the best in the league. Even with the 'bigs' out, the Mavs crush opponents defensively. In fact if anything, they crush even more.

The Mavs rim protection is elite since the trades regardless of what combo they put out there. So yeah, if anyone's plan is to dominate the mavs in the paint, then they might as well plan for Cancun too.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 711

Post#192 » by UglyBugBall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:38 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
jigga_man wrote:

The impact differential between Lively and Powell/Kleber cannot be overstated. He changes the entire way the Mavs operate on offense and defense when he’s healthy.

I have a feeling every single one of these Mavs-Clippers games will come down to the wire. Lively is the difference

Lively is good, but PJ and Gafford are the difference. Our rim protection and rebounding have been elite with or without Lively since the trade. Kleber with PJ has been an elite small ball unit with a nearly 20 net rating. The problem is when you combine Kleber with Powell or some other abomination like Hardaway + Green, which I don't think we'll see anymore.
famicommander
Freshman
And1: 286

Post#193 » by famicommander » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:44 pm

If Kawhi isn't himself or doesn't play, Mavs in 5.
If Kawhi is close to 100%, Clippers in 6.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#194 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 pm

Mavs in 6. Doesn't matter who the Clippers have out there. This team is different then the past teams. I think Luka and Kyrie will avg 80-90 Per game together.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,678

Post#195 » by Swish1906 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:36 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

The point is that you totally ignore the actual games where these players already played against each other :roll:
advent11
Sophomore
And1: 287

Post#196 » by advent11 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:31 pm

Credible reporter saying Kawhi has a lot of swelling in his knee.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,302

Post#197 » by canada_dry » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:36 pm

I saw the report about still a lot of swelling in kawhis knee. As i mentioned in an above prediction, even if he plays and he isnt comfortable with that knee to take that luka matchup late in games(which it seems like he wont be) mavs are winning. If he misses games Mavs are winning comfortably.

As an aside In both cases PG is likely gone in free agency. Probably philly

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,892

Post#198 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 pm

Not betting it, but taking Mavs in 6. Luka has been elite recently. Kawhi and George haven't been consistently healthy enough to build cohesion. But I wouldn't put it past Dallas to play Tim Hardaway Jr. meaningful minutes and blow the series.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,678

Post#199 » by Swish1906 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:05 pm

advent11 wrote:Credible reporter saying Kawhi has a lot of swelling in his knee.

Still almost a whole week until game 1. totally expect him to turn up for game 1 and win at least two games in this series on his own :nonono:
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#200 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm

JasonStern wrote:Not betting it, but taking Mavs in 6. Luka has been elite recently. Kawhi and George haven't been consistently healthy enough to build cohesion. But I wouldn't put it past Dallas to play Tim Hardaway Jr. meaningful minutes and blow the series.

That's a given. It almost feels like it's in his contract to play 20 minutes every game and most of the time he'll stink it up. I know there wasn't anything to play for against OKC yesterday but he was 1-9 from the field. He shouldn't have a role on this team anymore but he does and it seems like every time him and Maxi are in the game it goes -10. It feels like big leads disappear in a minute or two when he clunks a 3 the opponents get it and go down and score easily. He has averaged around 40% not 3 point % but FG % 3 years in a row. I'm not sure what the average is but I would assume that's below average. He also plays no defense and is not a high IQ player.

Return to The General Board