2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,323

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1661 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 pm

miamiheat319 wrote:What the hell happened in that third quarter??
The Cavs are averaging 17 points in the 3rd quarter through 4 games in this series.

Aka jb is a terrible coach and the Cavs would be better off firing him before game 5, if they wanted any shot at winning that game and the series.
Magiclee
Sophomore
And1: 114

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1662 » by Magiclee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Magiclee wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:He had a bad game today but he was all over Mobley last game.

Yeah he had a bad game, but this has been all series long. When he went off it was with fadeaway jumpers. I want to see him put his shoulder into Mobley's chest like Mo's done and take it at him.

Paolo doesn’t really play that way. Yeah, he’ll put his shoulders to his man’s chest and just turn around and try and hit a middy or a long 2. But he’s young, getting to the rim will be part of his shooting repertoire soon.

I'd be fine with him dropping a shoulder and taking a step back. When Mobley is in front of him he pump fakes two times and passes out. He's not even pretending to challenge him. Mobley would have fouled out today if Paolo had challenged him a few times. He didn't do it once.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,836

Post#1663 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm

Magiclee wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Magiclee wrote:
Yeah he had a bad game, but this has been all series long. When he went off it was with fadeaway jumpers. I want to see him put his shoulder into Mobley's chest like Mo's done and take it at him.

Paolo doesn’t really play that way. Yeah, he’ll put his shoulders to his man’s chest and just turn around and try and hit a middy or a long 2. But he’s young, getting to the rim will be part of his shooting repertoire soon.

I'd be fine with him dropping a shoulder and taking a step back. When Mobley is in front of him he pump fakes two times and passes out. He's not even pretending to challenge him. Mobley would have fouled out today if Paolo had challenged him a few times. He didn't do it once.

Bad game. He’ll adjust.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 2-1) 

Post#1664 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 pm

Magiclee wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Magiclee wrote:
The Cavs won two games pretty convincingly doing exactly what they've been doing. There's no reason to panic yet. Make us do it on the road. If we do it for a third time in a row then by all means, change it up. But there's a reason Morris doesn't play much. He's washed. Paolo would devour him and the game might already be over by the time you realize it.
No he wouldn't devour him. He would be getting pissed with all the dirty stuff Morris would be doing to him.

And no the Cavs wins were not convincing... Winning by 40 is convincing, not whatever the Cavs did.

A pissed off Paolo is the last thing you want. If they're both on, you're toast. There's nothing you can do. You can't guard them both. But they're young and can be inconsistent. Your best bet is to put Mobley on Paolo and make Franz do this again. He looked like last year's Franz today. He hasn't looked like that much this year.
That's a terrible plan.

I want Morris on Paolo being cheap and dirty for 6 fouls and i want Mobley on Franz. That will leave Allen free to protect the rim.

I want Suggs to try and beat me and he very well could but if he started getting too hot, I'd put Okoro on him, just need Okoro to take the open shots.

If the Cavs come out on Tuesday with Garland/Mitchell/Strus/Mobley/Allen as their starting 5 and Niang as the only big off the bench, the Cavs will be down 3-2 heading back to Orlando for game 6 on Friday.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,171

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 2-1) 

Post#1665 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:33 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Magiclee wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:No he wouldn't devour him. He would be getting pissed with all the dirty stuff Morris would be doing to him.

And no the Cavs wins were not convincing... Winning by 40 is convincing, not whatever the Cavs did.

A pissed off Paolo is the last thing you want. If they're both on, you're toast. There's nothing you can do. You can't guard them both. But they're young and can be inconsistent. Your best bet is to put Mobley on Paolo and make Franz do this again. He looked like last year's Franz today. He hasn't looked like that much this year.
That's a terrible plan.

I want Morris on Paolo being cheap and dirty for 6 fouls and i want Mobley on Franz. That will leave Allen free to protect the rim.

I want Suggs to try and beat me and he very well could but if he started getting too hot, I'd put Okoro on him, just need Okoro to take the open shots.

If the Cavs come out on Tuesday with Garland/Mitchell/Strus/Mobley/Allen as their starting 5 and Niang as the only big off the bench, the Cavs will be down 3-2 heading back to Orlando for game 6 on Friday.

The weird thing is that Paolo and Suggs play passively and blow up when contested. Not sure that would work.

Like Suggs wasn’t playing his usual great defense in this game until the 3rd when he went head to head with Garland. Then the defense held you guys to 10 points in the quarter. The game was over after that.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,747

Post#1666 » by ConSarnit » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 pm

Well, I was dead wrong. I thought ORL would be the one to struggle scoring this entire series. Not saying the Cavs can’t win this series but they can’t continue like this knowing the their offense craters in the playoffs right?
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#1667 » by tooler » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 pm

Cavs fans must be nervous if they’re calling for a Morris goon!

Magic will have to counter with Joe Ingles to talk enough **** to him that he gets ejected.

It’s a chess match.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#1668 » by RookieStar » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:45 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Message Boar wrote:I voted Cavs in 5, happy to take that L

same here :nod:

Same. I was Cavs in 5. So happy to be wrong
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,446

Post#1669 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
It's an issue when Mitchell and Garland stink and our shooters can't shoot. Jbbs inability to adjust in game sure sucks too.

I mean we've played the Pacers, the Friday before the playoffs started in a game they wanted badly, and we had no problem scoring. We played the Pacers in March without Mitchell, and had no problem scoring. It's not hard to score against teams who don't have impressive defenses.

We averaged 112 .vs. the Magic in the regular season for all the good that did us. We scored 60 in the first half today and still found a way to not break 100.

Sure smells like good game plan followed by an inability to adjust after Orlando talked things over at the half. Amateur hour on the bench and from the supposed floor leaders.

It was a 4 point game until Suggs hit a 3 with with 2:54 left in the 3rd. But that Mobley/Niang lineup kills us when the Magic have Mo/Issac in and the lead was over 20 by the time Allen checked back in a couple minutes into the 4th.

But yes, Mitchell had an absolutely awful second half.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1670 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Magiclee wrote:
That's a terrible plan.

The weird thing is that Paolo and Suggs play passively and blow up when contested. Not sure that would work.

Like Suggs wasn’t playing his usual great defense in this game until the 3rd when he went head to head with Garland. Then the defense held you guys to 10 points in the quarter. The game was over after that.
Well then you can put Morris on Franz to try and irritate him and take him outta his game mentally. Strus can't guard Franz, that is what I know without the shadow of a doubt. Especially when he's called for touch fouls.

Cavs have to do everything in their power to take away Franz AND Paolo for these final 2 maybe 3 games. No more 30 pieces from either one or the series is over.

I know Allen can guard Paolo, i watched him do it today but you need him offensive rebounding and rim protecting. I guess you could try starting Jones since he can hit corner 3s at like a 44% clip or something but i think WCJ and Mo are gonna steal his lunch money.

Cavs lack toughness and Morris brings that in abundance.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1671 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm

tooler wrote:Cavs fans must be nervous if they’re calling for a Morris goon!

Magic will have to counter with Joe Ingles to talk enough **** to him that he gets ejected.

It’s a chess match.
No it's not, jb can't even win at checkers, guy hasn't made a single adjustment this series lol

He got outcoahced by McMillan in the 2022 post season, he got outcoahced by Thibs in the 2023 post season, and is currently getting outcoahced by Mosley in the 2024 post season.

Doesn't matter how much talent a team has if their head coach is a wet paper bag.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,875

Post#1672 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

If the Cavs go down 3-2, I think Dean Wade will play.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic 

Post#1673 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
hippesthippo wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:i'm not sure Bickerstaff is a real coach with how he's been running things on the court these past two seasons
wouldn't be shocked if this series goes either way in any fashion, but I think this Cavs team is the opposite of synergetic, meaning - it's considerably worse than the sum of it's parts

my pick is Magic in 6

True. Very true.

I just can't shake the image of Donovan Mitchell going supernova in the playoffs.
That happened once so long ago it's almost more like a shooting star, just quickly passing in the night.

His history shows he's much more likely to get about 23 ppg on 44.32 eFG% but if he is able to recreate either of his covid restriction years from a scoring and efficiency standpoint then the Magic don't stand a chance.
Well, through 4 games, history is repeating itself.

Mitchell averaging 21 points on an inefficient 42.5% FG 25% 3FG 83.3% FT

This guy was NOT worth 6 first rounders and a future All-Star. Koby "the drunkard" Altman was fleeced in that trade.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1674 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 pm

basketballRob wrote:If the Cavs go down 3-2, I think Dean Wade will play.

He's already been ruled out for the entire series.

I would just love to know how he sprained his knee while on paternity leave, mind boggling stuff.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,875

Post#1675 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:25 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:

I would just love to know how he sprained his knee while on paternity leave, mind boggling stuff.
It'll probably change if they go down in the series. I don't think they expected the Magic to give them a series. It was easy to say he's out for the series while they were up 2-0.

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1676 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

It'll probably change if they go down in the series. I don't think they expected the Magic to give them a series. It was easy to say he's out for the series while they were up 2-0.

The guy can't run, he's not playing in this series. Ty Jerome has a better shot of playing in this series and he's not played since October 27th.

jb is gonna actually have to coach, something he's shown zero ability to do in his 5 seasons as the Cavs head coach.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,592

Post#1677 » by WuTang_OG » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 pm

Magic have FK U to them. I love that
Also happy for Isaac coming back and playing well. Top 3 wing defender in NBA
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,458

Post#1678 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:To be clear, this is still Cleveland’s series to lose. The fact of the matter is, Orlando did not once lead at any point in games one and two. Cleveland can at least say they did at Orlando, hell they had the lead going into the half.

As long as Cleveland’s still got homecourt, there’s no reason to panic.

It’s a completely different game than G1/G2.

Mosley adjusted. Swapped Isaac w/ Carter in the starting lineup.

Also as Keith Smith also mentioned, the Magic have brought their screeners for Paolo Banchero & Franz Wagner up close to halfcourt. It's causing the Cavs to defend in a lot of space and Orlando is starting to get downhill off those screens.

Orlando has now found their shooting rhythm.

Chess not checkers. Playoffs are all about the small adjustments and it seems as Mosley is winning in that matchup.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,113

Post#1679 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:58 pm

DowJones wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:To be clear, this is still Cleveland’s series to lose. The fact of the matter is, Orlando did not once lead at any point in games one and two. Cleveland can at least say they did at Orlando, hell they had the lead going into the half.

As long as Cleveland’s still got homecourt, there’s no reason to panic. But with that said, there’s definitely reasons to be very concerned. I’m not even talking in terms of what’s to come next, because I fully expect Cleveland to lose to Boston if they advance. But Mitchell has been pretty bad offensively after the first game where he scored 30. He’s part of the reason as to why we’re losing right now. In my opinion, if this continues, I am still of the belief that he is the one we need to cut ties with, not Garland and sure as hell not Mobley.

Also, I’ve defended Bickerstaff, but this is the second straight playoff series where he’s very clearly getting out coached. It will be third straight if we make it to the second round. And if we somehow make it past Boston, that would be number four. Doesn’t matter how far we make it, the guy needs to go.

If we lose Mitchell, where are we going to get offense? I can see trading Mitchell if he refuses to extend, but that is the only reason to trade him.

The same way we were before… through Garland, Mobley and Allen. I want us to continue building and developing the talent that we have, not trying to win it all when we’re still so young.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,113

Post#1680 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

As long as Cleveland’s still got homecourt, there’s no reason to panic.

It’s a completely different game than G1/G2.

Mosley adjusted. Swapped Isaac w/ Carter in the starting lineup.

Also as Keith Smith also mentioned, the Magic have brought their screeners for Paolo Banchero & Franz Wagner up close to halfcourt. It's causing the Cavs to defend in a lot of space and Orlando is starting to get downhill off those screens.

Orlando has now found their shooting rhythm.

Chess not checkers. Playoffs are all about the small adjustments and it seems as Mosley is winning in that matchup.

That’s great and all, but we saw how Orlando shoots on the road. They’re going to have to find a way to overcome that. It’s definitely possible, but as I said, this is still Cleveland’s series to lose.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!

Return to The General Board