2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,474

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1721 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:51 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I can appreciate the confidence but it is not at all warranted after getting spanked by 38 points and 23 points in a 44 hour period.

Cleveland was clearly better at home. Orlando was clearly better at home. I have every reason right now to believe Cleveland will take game 5 in the same fashion they did in games 1 and 2. Granted, they have some issues to figure out (they’ve lost out on their major rebounding advantage after Orlando shifted WCJ back to the starting unit), but tad long as Orlando can’t find their shooting, they’re going to continue to have the same issues as before. I could absolutely be wrong, but still.
After the 2 beat downs i think you are absolutely wrong.

jb needs to make adjustments and he's not going to.

Mosely has at minimum made 3 adjustments in this series and none of em really that complex. Swapping a guy into his starting 5, starting the PnR action higher on offense, and switching the PnR coverage on defense.

I think there will be adjustments as there are two-days between games and Luke Walton is an assistant coach. JBB is really bad at in-game adjustments. The problem is that the options aren't great with Wade out. When Allen rests, and Mosely counters with Mo/Issac. Either TT or D. Jones needs to go in with Mobley. Those are two guys who probably won't be in the league next year but would still be better options than Niang against that front court.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,141

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1722 » by Iwasawitness » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:15 pm

Creativetran wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Cleveland was clearly better at home. Orlando was clearly better at home.

True, but even when Orlando lost they did not give up. The Cavs straight up quit when things got tough, don’t know if that means anything but even if they beat the Magic. I wouldn’t want that trait on a real championship level team.

I don’t think it’s a matter of them quitting. After all, the Cavs built a reputation throughout the season from dramatic come from behind victories. They definitely don’t quit.

The big problem here is that one team knows how to adjust. The Cavaliers don’t know how. I do think they’re the better team but it’s close enough to the point where the Magic adjusting are all they need to do in order to regain the advantage. It’s how they won game four when Cleveland went into halftime with a nine point lead.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,337

Post#1723 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Cleveland was clearly better at home. Orlando was clearly better at home. I have every reason right now to believe Cleveland will take game 5 in the same fashion they did in games 1 and 2. Granted, they have some issues to figure out (they’ve lost out on their major rebounding advantage after Orlando shifted WCJ back to the starting unit), but tad long as Orlando can’t find their shooting, they’re going to continue to have the same issues as before. I could absolutely be wrong, but still.
After the 2 beat downs i think you are absolutely wrong.

Mosely has at minimum made 3 adjustments in this series and none of em really that complex. Swapping a guy into his starting 5, starting the PnR action higher on offense, and switching the PnR coverage on defense.

I think there will be adjustments as there are two-days between games and Luke Walton is an assistant coach. JBB is really bad at in-game adjustments. The problem is that the options aren't great with Wade out. When Allen rests, and Mosely counters with Mo/Issac. Either TT or D. Jones needs to go in with Mobley. Those are two guys who probably won't be in the league next year but would still be better options than Niang against that front court.
jb had like 10 or 14 days last season to prep for the Knicks seires and still rolled out the same regular season gameplan, so i have 0 confidence in him to make any adjustments be it in-game or game to game.

He's going to start Garland, Mitchell, Strus, Mobley, and Allen.

LeVert and Niang will come in about halfway through the quarter for Garland and Mobley. Okoro follows behind shortly after to sub Strus. Before the quarter is over, Mobley and Garland come back for Mitchell and Allen, that is when we get screwed.

That Garland/Okoro/LeVert/Niang/Mobley line-up is atrocious it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that line-up sucks and stop using it. I would love to see the stats for that line-up in this seires.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1724 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:After the 2 beat downs i think you are absolutely wrong.

jb had like 10 or 14 days last season to prep for the Knicks seires and still rolled out the same regular season gameplan, so i have 0 confidence in him to make any adjustments be it in-game or game to game.

LeVert and Niang will come in about halfway through the quarter for Garland and Mobley. Okoro follows behind shortly after to sub Strus. Before the quarter is over, Mobley and Garland come back for Mitchell and Allen, that is when we get screwed.

That Garland/Okoro/LeVert/Niang/Mobley line-up is atrocious it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that line-up sucks and stop using it. I would love to see the stats for that line-up in this seires.

I don't think any of lineups with Niang are good, but he's so mismatched against Isaac, at every facet of basketball, that he can't be on the floor against Mo and Issac. When the Magic were starting Isaac, and Niang wa subbing in against other players, the five minute runs weren't happening.

That said, go back and read the play-by-play for the 3rd quarter. Mitchell was really, really bad with Garland off the floor.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1725 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:36 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't think any of lineups with Niang are good, but he's so mismatched against Isaac, at every facet of basketball, that he can't be on the floor against Mo and Issac. When the Magic were starting Isaac, and Niang wa subbing in against other players, the five minute runs weren't happening.

That said, go back and read the play-by-play for the 3rd quarter. Mitchell was really, really bad with Garland off the floor.
I think Mitchell just is kind of checked out. I appreciate him acknowledging his poor play after game 4 but it just has to be more than a physical ailment.

His fg% just keeps getting worse every game. I know Mosley made the adjustment where Suggs is being his primary defender more now but jb is doing absolutely nothing to get Mitchell, Strus, Niang, and Merrill good looks. When playing a team with this much length, they are gonna have to run more floppy action or something.Image
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1726 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:jb had like 10 or 14 days last season to prep for the Knicks seires and still rolled out the same regular season gameplan, so i have 0 confidence in him to make any adjustments be it in-game or game to game.

I think Mitchell just is kind of checked out. I appreciate him acknowledging his poor play after game 4 but it just has to be more than a physical ailment.

His fg% just keeps getting worse every game. I know Mosley made the adjustment where Suggs is being his primary defender more now but jb is doing absolutely nothing to get Mitchell, Strus, Niang, and Merrill good looks. When playing a team with this much length, they are gonna have to run more floppy action or something.Image

I don't think he's checked out (and why would he be checked out for Game 2 after we won Game 1). I think his knee got a week of rest and felt better. After he played on it, the tendinitis flared up, and he's trying to play through it. This is the downside of a top-heavy roster. Everyone has to be healthy.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1727 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't think he's checked out (and why would he be checked out for Game 2 after we won Game 1). I think his knee got a week of rest and felt better. After he played on it, the tendinitis flared up, and he's trying to play through it. This is the downside of a top-heavy roster. Everyone has to be healthy.
I mean we won game 2 but like he said himself after game 4, only 4 shots in the 2nd half is inexcusable.

Cavs need him to have one of those covid restriction type playoff games where he shoots 30 times.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#1728 » by uraverage » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 pm

4 games in both teams have defended their home courts. This comes down to can ORL steal one and defend their home court or do the Cav do as needed to advance. Game 5 will be a must watch for me.
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#1729 » by meatwad4343 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 pm

uraverage wrote:4 games in both teams have defended their home courts. This comes down to can ORL steal one and defend their home court or do the Cav do as needed to advance. Game 5 will be a must watch for me.

Orlando would have swept this or won in 5 if they didn't shoot historically bad the first two. They aren't a great road team but since they got the young guys settled in to their first playoff series, I think they will be good enough to get one on the road. I don't think going from Orlando to Cleveland is going to be a 30 plus point swing for the cavs to make up for how bad they lost in Orlando. Cavs are just getting out coached and Orlando's defense has really tightened up.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,041

Post#1730 » by SOUL » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:31 am

meatwad4343 wrote:
uraverage wrote:4 games in both teams have defended their home courts. This comes down to can ORL steal one and defend their home court or do the Cav do as needed to advance. Game 5 will be a must watch for me.

Orlando would have swept this or won in 5 if they didn't shoot historically bad the first two. They aren't a great road team but since they got the young guys settled in to their first playoff series, I think they will be good enough to get one on the road. I don't think going from Orlando to Cleveland is going to be a 30 plus point swing for the cavs to make up for how bad they lost in Orlando. Cavs are just getting out coached and Orlando's defense has really tightened up.

It's never as simple as that - there were lots of reasons they shot bad, and we're a team that has shot kinda bad all year. We also missed 11 free throws and had a bunch of bad turnovers.. so of course if you don't do those things you give yourself a better shot.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,697

Post#1731 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:05 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:After the 2 beat downs i think you are absolutely wrong.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2024/lineups/

Scroll down, the playoff numbers are below the regular season numbers.

In the regular season, D. Garland | C. LeVert | E. Mobley | G. Niang | I. Okoro was +19.9 per 100 possessions.

In the postseason, D. Garland | C. LeVert | E. Mobley | G. Niang | I. Okoro has been -32.6 per 100 possessions.

I'm pretty sure when we take Allen out, we need to put both Mobley and TT in at the same time. Let TT guard the center and let Evan roam.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,438

Post#1732 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:08 pm

Creativetran wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Cleveland was clearly better at home. Orlando was clearly better at home.

True, but even when Orlando lost they did not give up. The Cavs straight up quit when things got tough, don’t know if that means anything but even if they beat the Magic. I wouldn’t want that trait on a real championship level team.

It's not in their nature to quit - one of the good qualities Bickerstaff has instilled in his players - but they may have quit on him and his game plan. The hero shots in the 3rd quarter were a sign of desperation and a lack of trust.

Like I've been saying all series, it comes down to Garland and Mitchell's health. They were in a bad place at the end of the season and a week off helped but did not fix them. Even the two wins happened more because the Magic couldn't shoot than because Garland and Mitchell played complete games.

A lot of weird things have happened in the playoffs over the years, and even a blow out can be productive at times; but the second half collapse after they responded to the blowout with a 60pt first half does smell a lot like series over.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1733 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

In the regular season, D. Garland | C. LeVert | E. Mobley | G. Niang | I. Okoro was +19.9 per 100 possessions.

In the postseason, D. Garland | C. LeVert | E. Mobley | G. Niang | I. Okoro has been -32.6 per 100 possessions.

I'm pretty sure when we take Allen out, we need to put both Mobley and TT in at the same time. Let TT guard the center and let Evan roam.
Thanks toooskies!

Yeah, it has been painful to watch those 5 in this series.

jbk actually made that same suggestion, especially since JI is back on that bench unit, it has been even worse.

They could try swapping TT for Niang in the 8 man rotation, at least in the non Allen minutes. If Okoro keeps being hesitant maybe try Morris.

I'm not sure but i am sure I would stop running that 5 man unit ever again in this series.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1734 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:34 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:jb had like 10 or 14 days last season to prep for the Knicks seires and still rolled out the same regular season gameplan, so i have 0 confidence in him to make any adjustments be it in-game or game to game.

Thanks toooskies!

jbk actually made that same suggestion, especially since JI is back on that bench unit, it has been even worse.

They could try swapping TT for Niang in the 8 man rotation, at least in the non Allen minutes. If Okoro keeps being hesitant maybe try Morris.

I'm not sure but i am sure I would stop running that 5 man unit ever again in this series.

I think Allen+Niang still works better than an Allen+TT lineup, so I wouldn't abandon Niang completely. (I would if Wade were back.)
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,438

Post#1735 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2024/lineups/

Thanks toooskies!

I think Allen+Niang still works better than an Allen+TT lineup, so I wouldn't abandon Niang completely. (I would if Wade were back.)

Technically, the Cavs could start Niang and save their two big lineup for when Orlando goes to their bench; but they'd be inviting all sorts of problems on the defensive side. Of course they could try to put Niang on WCJ instead of Banchero. And if they really wanted to get Orlando thinking they could use JA on Franz and Strus on Paolo; but hardly matters unless they get their offense clicking or the Magic forget how to shoot again.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1736 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Thanks toooskies!

Technically, the Cavs could start Niang and save their two big lineup for when Orlando goes to their bench; but they'd be inviting all sorts of problems on the defensive side. Of course they could try to put Niang on WCJ instead of Banchero. And if they really wanted to get Orlando thinking they could use JA on Franz and Strus on Paolo; but hardly matters unless they get their offense clicking or the Magic forget how to shoot again.

I do not believe this would be a good idea. Of our top 10 player combinations, Mobley + Allen is actually the highest at a net of... 0.0.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#1737 » by tooler » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 pm

One simple adjustment would be to stop attacking Jonathan Isaac.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1738 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:02 pm

tooler wrote:One simple adjustment would be to stop attacking Jonathan Isaac.

Eh, that hasn't been the problem. Issac is great help defender but he's been out on Niang at the perimeter and Niang can't his shot off against him from 3. Meanwhile, Niang has no hope of contesting Issac's corner 3s, when he's even in position to do so. He can't out rebound Issac as Issac is taller, longer, and quicker. Niang is getting killed in that matchup and it's killing the team.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,187

Post#1739 » by KokoKaizer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
tooler wrote:One simple adjustment would be to stop attacking Jonathan Isaac.

Eh, that hasn't been the problem. Issac is great help defender but he's been out on Niang at the perimeter and Niang can't his shot off against him from 3. Meanwhile, Niang has no hope of contesting Issac's corner 3s, when he's even in position to do so. He can't out rebound Issac as Issac is taller, longer, and quicker. Niang is getting killed in that matchup and it's killing the team.

Isaac
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 891

Post#1740 » by Niko23 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:24 pm

Might be time for a lineup change and sadly Garland may have to come off the bench. What was our record again when he was out early this year?

Return to The General Board