2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
16%
Cavs in 6
27%
Cavs in 7
12%
Magic in 4
3%
Magic in 5
3%
Magic in 6
28%
Magic in 7
10%

Total votes: 256

bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic 

Post#141 » by bmurph128 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:26 pm

Mad Guru wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:You guys shamelessly tanked to face the playoff newbies, you aren't exactly the darlings of the moment.

Trust me when I say this, the Cavs didn’t tank at all.

You guys had Tristan Thompson running point for the final 5 minutes of the season and you are saying that the Cavaliers were *trying* to win the game?

As opposed to the incredibly talented ball handling of Isaac Okoro or Max Strus?

Mitchell and Garland were out, which I don't imagine ANYONE would have an issue with. Both guys got injured off and on all season long, not worth playing them when you have a top 4 seed locked up, MAYBE unless you can get the 1 seed, which obviously we couldn't.

Then the only active PG went down with an injury early on. Most of those turnovers at the end of the game were by Bates, and he's about the caliber player the Hornets had on the floor too. **** happens sometimes.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,204

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic 

Post#142 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:26 pm

Mad Guru wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:You guys shamelessly tanked to face the playoff newbies, you aren't exactly the darlings of the moment.

You guys had Tristan Thompson running point for the final 5 minutes of the season and you are saying that the Cavaliers were *trying* to win the game?

In fairness, they were giving Emoni Bates at shot at PG and TT just took the ball away after the 18th turnover.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,778

Post#143 » by Jadoogar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:54 pm

Dirk wrote:
Froob wrote:Magic in 6, this is the end of JB Bickerstaff in Cleveland

If you put things that way, Cavs Realgmers will be rooting for the Magic here.

every fanbase hates their coach. We see maybe 20% of what actually goes into coaching. Raptors' fans were excited to get rid of Nick Nurse, the grass isn't always greener.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,847

Post#144 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:23 pm

Huh... a lot believe we can with this...

Man for man we are probably the team with the most playoff virgins...
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,661

Post#145 » by orlando_joe » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:This is the Tru TV series.

Knicks getting ahead of themselves. Weve all seen that episode. :nod:

rich...coming from a team magic beat 3 out of 4 times this season
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,778

Post#146 » by Jadoogar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:38 pm

RookieStar wrote:Huh... a lot believe we can with this...

I'm picking the Magic, but idk if it's because i believe in the Magic but moreso that i don't believe in the Cavs.
Magic play a lot like last year's Knicks (big and physical, strong rebounders) and the Cavs were completely destroyed by that playstyle last year. I don't think they've done anything to address those issues.

Of course the Magic have no one as explosive as Mitchell so if he really goes off, Cavs can still win.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,735

Post#147 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:38 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:The matchup nobody cares about

It has a good chance to be the best first round series. I think it's going 6 or 7 IF ORL does crater offensively. They are a feisty group who's defense will show up each game

Nah Clippers vs Dallas will be the best.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 355

Post#148 » by Mad Guru » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

In fairness, they were giving Emoni Bates at shot at PG and TT just took the ball away after the 18th turnover.

lol, I just can't believe how mad the basketball world is about this Cavs thing.

Every single podcast has a segment about it. A few agreed with the Cavs, then you had Tim Bontemps go on like a 20 minute rant about how shameful this was.

I thought it was pretty surprising watching it unfold, the Cavs sub is even having an absolute schism over it.

Frankly, I think you guys definitely got the easiest matchup in the East, the Magic are going to get steamrolled by a more experienced team.
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,882

Post#149 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:06 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Huh... a lot believe we can with this...

I'm picking the Magic, but idk if it's because i believe in the Magic but moreso that i don't believe in the Cavs.
Magic play a lot like last year's Knicks (big and physical, strong rebounders) and the Cavs were completely destroyed by that playstyle last year. I don't think they've done anything to address those issues.

Of course the Magic have no one as explosive as Mitchell so if he really goes off, Cavs can still win.

The Knicks physical style of play isn’t the only reason they lost.

The Knicks had a clear coaching advantage on top of having a deep big man rotation that created a matchup advantage for them, where they could play their bigs significantly less minutes than the Cavs, who were forced to play Mobley and Allen 38+ minutes regularly. Obi being the backup PF was ridiculous, as he was able to spread the floor and still play a very physical brand of basketball. Robinson was the best offensive rebounding big in the NBA, and Hartenstein was a top ten offensive rebounding big… and he was coming off the bench! The Knicks were also an experienced playoff team and the deepest team in the league.

The Cavs on the other hand lacked shooters and depth. They had no one who could provide good minutes for Mobley/Allen and they had no wings apart from LeVert who could provide good minutes while keeping the floor spread. The Cavs were also inexperienced in the postseason and had clear chemistry issues.

Things are very different this year.

The Magic are not an experienced playoff team. They’re young and their best player is a two year wing with inconsistent and often times inefficient offense. Franz himself lacks a consistent three point shot. WCJ does not have the same offensive rebounding capabilities Robinson and Hart have. They may play a physical brand of basketball, but it’s not anywhere close to the same extent that the Knicks did. I fully expect Allen to give WCJ more problems than he did Robinson, which were almost non existent.

The Cavaliers meanwhile are deeper this year with more options. They have more shooting and two additional bigs in Morris and Thompson who play a physical brand of basketball. Morris especially could be helpful with his ability to spread the floor. And even if Wade and Merrill can’t play, cavaliers still have Strus and Niang, along with an improved Okoro and Morris to provide shooting. But most importantly, Mobley has demonstrated an improved three point shot, and if that continues to be the case, that could prove problematic for the Magic.

Can the Magic win? Sure. But they have a lot more working against them and they are inexperienced.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,204

Post#150 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm

Mad Guru wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:You guys had Tristan Thompson running point for the final 5 minutes of the season and you are saying that the Cavaliers were *trying* to win the game?

lol, I just can't believe how mad the basketball world is about this Cavs thing.

Every single podcast has a segment about it. A few agreed with the Cavs, then you had Tim Bontemps go on like a 20 minute rant about how shameful this was.

I thought it was pretty surprising watching it unfold, the Cavs sub is even having an absolute schism over it.

Frankly, I think you guys definitely got the easiest matchup in the East, the Magic are going to get steamrolled by a more experienced team.

What's funny to me is it was one game AFTER the Cavs secured the 4th spot by beating the Pacers on Friday night. When the Clippers ducked the Nuggets a couple years ago, they rested guys over multiple games.

People are just angry their teams are going to have a tough matchup. One Knicks pundit on Twitter was opining that the 1st and 2nd seeds should be able to pick their opponents.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,775

Post#151 » by picc » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:26 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:The matchup nobody cares about

This is actually the first round series I'm most looking forward to

Yeah me too. If you don't care about this series you're missing out on some good basketball and matchups for no reason.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,775

Post#152 » by picc » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:28 pm

Jonathan Isaac is about to make himself a kajillionaire.

He's the closest thing to Bill Russell (tongue in cheek) we've ever seen and he's playing a team that plays two bigs, one of which can't shoot outside of 10 feet and the other you want taking as many long jumpers as possible. With two guards who are quick enough to beat anyone off the dribble into the paint but are both short.

Quote me on this. After this series Isaac will be offered the league's first bajillion dollar contract. There's ZERO chance he doesn't become the world's first batrillionaire after this season.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,543

Post#153 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:46 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:This is the Tru TV series.

Knicks getting ahead of themselves. Weve all seen that episode. :nod:

rich...coming from a team magic beat 3 out of 4 times this season

I don't get it lol, why are you guys perceiving that post as anti-Magic? And what does it have to do with the Knicks? Weird reactions.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,847

Post#154 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 am

Yeah... Cavs are going all in with this.

1.) Coach might get fired after another 1st round exit.
2.) Might be DONs last season with them
3.) The shame of losing after tanking to target a team
4.) Facing the most PO virgin group of players ever.
5.) Cavs are desperate while Magic is just happy to be here/there.

You might say its the Cavs who have their backs against the wall and desperate.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,695

Post#155 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:35 am

Unironically, if Dean Wade plays I 'm more scared. I feel like Paolo could not get by him when they played lol, and he can hit threes.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,499

Post#156 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 am

As annoyed as I was listening to Ceruti be a homer all year on Russillo’s pod, and though I feel Magic’s core is overrated, I really hope they sweep the coward Cavs.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,109

Post#157 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:01 am

SOUL wrote:Unironically, if Dean Wade plays I 'm more scared. I feel like Paolo could not get by him when they played lol, and he can hit threes.
His injury is so odd. He was perfectly healthy, then went on paternity leave for a couple games and then never played in the season ever again with a knee injury.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,312

Post#158 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 am

Cavs have a "contender" gear they can hit. When they hit it they are a buzz saw and can beat anyone.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 355

Post#159 » by Mad Guru » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 am

People forget how good Donovon Mitchell is.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 464

Post#160 » by uraverage » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 am

eyriq wrote:Cavs have a "contender" gear they can hit. When they hit it they are a buzz saw and can beat anyone.

Agreed. This series is all about who elevates. Do the Cavs hit their gear or does the Magic’s defense hit theirs.

Wonder what it looks like when 2 buzz saws hit each other.

Return to The General Board