2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 3-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
16%
Cavs in 6
26%
Cavs in 7
12%
Magic in 4
3%
Magic in 5
3%
Magic in 6
27%
Magic in 7
11%

Total votes: 259

Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 355

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic 

Post#181 » by Mad Guru » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
eyriq wrote:Does Orlando start Jonathan Isaac?

Dunno, does Jamahl Mosley typically recognize when one of his players has been wreaking havoc on an opponent and play that guy more?

Isaac can't give you 40 minutes, so you can start him or not, you are getting maybe 25 prime minutes from him either way
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,011

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic 

Post#182 » by davey_wavy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:06 am

Interesting that the NBA TV series has the second most pages out of the playoff threads :wink:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#183 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 am

davey_wavy wrote:Interesting that the NBA TV series has the second most pages out of the playoff threads :wink:

I kinda mentioned that before that we had the nost pages despite posters saying this is probably the nost overlooked series this PO :wink:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,133

Post#184 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 am

I was wondering if at some point they just go Suggs plus the 4 tall guys.

I know last season they did it a bit but maybe it was out of necessity.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#185 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:40 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:

You mean the so-called " death lineup " of Suggs, Franz, Paolo , WCJ/Mo, JI??

We did that at crunch time a couple of times this season to secure the win. Who knows, we might see it again in the POs.
JT3000
Bench Warmer
And1: 218

Post#186 » by JT3000 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 am

Franz can't guard shooting guards, so no, that's not happening.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#187 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:58 am

RookieStar wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

We did that at crunch time a couple of times this season to secure the win. Who knows, we might see it again in the POs.
Yeah, that one.

Cavs have like no depth behind Allen or Mobley so if one gets in foul trouble, Garland and Mobley are a tiny back court, and regardless who is at 3 for the Cavs, they have no size.

I just wonder if throwing all that length at the Cavs would cause problems, bc we know jb wouldn't be able to adjust.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#188 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:07 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I was wondering if at some point they just go Suggs plus the 4 tall guys.

Yeah, that one.

Cavs have like no depth behind Allen or Mobley so if one gets in foul trouble, Garland and Mobley are a tiny back court, and regardless who is at 3 for the Cavs, they have no size.

I just wonder if throwing all that length at the Cavs would cause problems, bc we know jb wouldn't be able to adjust.

Okoro is only 6'5 right? Franz feasts on those kind of SF. I would think JB would put Mobley on him, JA on Paolo and Okoro on JI/WCJ who are not noted inside scorers.

If Franz is forced to play the 2, he can. However not if he is matched up against small apeedy guards which Garland/DON belongs to.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,756

Post#189 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:28 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I was wondering if at some point they just go Suggs plus the 4 tall guys.

Yeah, that one.

What about Wade?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 465

Post#190 » by uraverage » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:38 am

JT3000 wrote:Franz can't guard shooting guards, so no, that's not happening.

This is an underrated statement. Most magic fans will not agree but what if we spent the whole truck on OG. The line up of Suggs, OG, F.Wagner, Paolo, Isaac would crush most teams.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#191 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:40 am

basketballRob wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Yeah, that one.

What about Wade?

He's been out for 19 straight games with no timeline for his return, he woulda been nice to have in this series for sure.

6'5 Strus will start at 3 and one of Okoro or LeVert will rotate in for him.

Outta shape Niang will be the only "big" off the bench.

It will be an interesting series for sure, i envision the Magic's length is gonna be problematic for the Cavs.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#192 » by John Murdoch » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:43 am

Garland needs to wake tf up..hes been azz since coming back
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,489

Post#193 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 am

Damn, two of the first four games are on NBATV. I'm guessing every non-weekend game will be on that channel (unless other series end sooner).
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,730

Post#194 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:52 pm

Kinda wild that Magic in 6 is winning the poll.

Yes, JB Bickerstaff is a BAD playoff coach.

Yes, The Cavs have struggled post all star break

Yes, the Cavs have never shown the ability to win big games

but who the heck is going to score on the Magic? Is Paolo gonna be your offensive engine? Good luck. Franz? He's fine but do you want him running a playoff offense?

I don't think this Cavs team is particularly good and JB has proven to be a terrible coach when it matters but the talent discrepancy is too wide.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,582

Post#195 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:00 pm

If Isaac is healthy enough to play 25+ minutes the whole series and Mosley comes to his senses and takes Fultz out of the rotation we have a decent shot at winning the series. Yes, we won't score much, but we have the defensive personnel to ensure the Cavs won't do it either, especially with Mitchell and Garland's health still being somewhat questionable. The Cavs are the favourites due to their experience and more firepower, but we can upset them.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,632

Post#196 » by 3ddman23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:17 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:Kinda wild that Magic in 6 is winning the poll.

but who the heck is going to score on the Magic? Is Paolo gonna be your offensive engine? Good luck. Franz? He's fine but do you want him running a playoff offense?

I don't think this Cavs team is particularly good and JB has proven to be a terrible coach when it matters but the talent discrepancy is too wide.

Look I don't expect the magic to win this series but people have been saying how are the magic gonna score all season and yet they some how won 47 games....

Quite honestly the magic are kinda built for the playoffs. Defensive minded, slower pace, a guy that you can give the ball to and get a bucket( paolo) strong bench unit, etc.

It comes down to this with the magic, if they can limit the self inflicted wounds ( turnovers, second chance points, 50/50 balls, fouling shooters, etc) they can without question make this an intresting series.

Now of course that comes with them being able to atleast hit some OPEN 3s( which they have struggled with) to go along with that.

I have Cleveland in this one in 6 but orlando I think can make it intresting if they lock in.
GO MAGIC
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,803

Post#197 » by Jadoogar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:19 pm

RookieStar wrote:
davey_wavy wrote:Interesting that the NBA TV series has the second most pages out of the playoff threads :wink:

I kinda mentioned that before that we had the nost pages despite posters saying this is probably the nost overlooked series this PO :wink:

tbf huge fanbases like the Celtics and Sixers can't comment yet because they don't know their opponents.
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,730

Post#198 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:26 pm

3ddman23 wrote:

Look I don't expect the magic to win this series but people have been saying how are the magic gonna score all season and yet they some how won 47 games....

Quite honestly the magic are kinda built for the playoffs. Defensive minded, slower pace, a guy that you can give the ball to and get a bucket( paolo) strong bench unit, etc.

It comes down to this with the magic, if they can limit the self inflicted wounds ( turnovers, second chance points, 50/50 balls, fouling shooters, etc) they can without question make this an intresting series.

Now of course that comes with them being able to atleast hit some OPEN 3s( which they have struggled with) to go along with that.

I have Cleveland in this one in 6 but orlando I think can make it intresting if they lock in.

Are we sure Paolo is that guy? He had pretty bad efficiency on really high usage this season. He can't really shoot, isn't great at the rim, isn't a great ball handler, and isn't that good of a playmaker.

Miami is a pretty similar team to the Cavs in terms of defense & pace and Orlando scored an average of 100.5 pts and went 1-3 across 4 games. Again, Cleveland isn't a good team but they do have a good defense, and a lot more offensive firepower than the Magic.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,756

Post#199 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:52 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
3ddman23 wrote:

Are we sure Paolo is that guy? He had pretty bad efficiency on really high usage this season. He can't really shoot, isn't great at the rim, isn't a great ball handler, and isn't that good of a playmaker.

Miami is a pretty similar team to the Cavs in terms of defense & pace and Orlando scored an average of 100.5 pts and went 1-3 across 4 games. Again, Cleveland isn't a good team but they do have a good defense, and a lot more offensive firepower than the Magic.
Paolo will surprise you at how well he can shoot. His percentages are low because he takes a lot of mid range shots. Those aren't good shots, but those are the type of shots you get in the playoffs. In theory, Paolo's play shouldn't drop off in the playoffs.

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,792

Post#200 » by bisme37 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:33 pm

Return to The General Board