2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Winner

Timberwolves in 4
12%
Timberwolves in 5
14%
Timberwolves in 6
20%
Timberwolves in 7
12%
Suns in 4
3%
Suns in 5
5%
Suns in 6
26%
Suns in 7
9%

Total votes: 292

collidingNeurons
Starter
And1: 1,157

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns 

Post#121 » by collidingNeurons » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
shrink wrote:I should have expected these types of response, and regret posting. I will delete.

"these type of responses"

Translation: Three posters respectfully disagreeing with your assessment.

This might come as a shocker, but if you post an opinion online, others may actually disagree with you.

yeah i don't really get what was taken exception to in your reply, Shrink made some valid observations about the wolves situation you made some valid counter observations, didn't see anything disrespectful or disparaging in any of it. I don't think the 3 regular season games will be a barometer to how this series plays out, The Suns are the most up and down and unpredictable version of this team that has actually made the playoffs that i can recall. and I fully expect the wolves to play better than they have in the three regular season games and they have home court advantage
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns 

Post#122 » by shrink » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:16 am

collidingNeurons wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
shrink wrote:I should have expected these types of response, and regret posting. I will delete.

This might come as a shocker, but if you post an opinion online, others may actually disagree with you.

yeah i don't really get what was taken exception to in your reply, Shrink made some valid observations about the wolves situation you made some valid counter observations, didn't see anything disrespectful or disparaging in any of it.

Neither did I, but it wasn’t a path I wanted to walk down. I posted three facts about the timing of the games that I thought people were probably not aware of, but I should have expected the post would lead to some response about who had it worse, or how big the margin of victory was. I intentionally did not include an assessment of how the series would run, to try to avoid this, but it was my bad for posting it to begin with.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,241

Post#123 » by Mr Puddles » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 am

collidingNeurons wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:

yeah i don't really get what was taken exception to in your reply, Shrink made some valid observations about the wolves situation you made some valid counter observations, didn't see anything disrespectful or disparaging in any of it. I don't think the 3 regular season games will be a barometer to how this series plays out, The Suns are the most up and down and unpredictable version of this team that has actually made the playoffs that i can recall. and I fully expect the wolves to play better than they have in the three regular season games and they have home court advantage

Fully agree with this. Especially Naz playing below his usual performance is not sustainable IMO and is more an outlier than due to anything the Suns did. The Wolves are an extremely dangerous team that has as good a chance of getting to the WCF as any team in the West IMO.

Also, the last time the Suns swept the regular season series against a team with a guy named Luka on their roster it didn't work out well in the playoffs. So I'm definitely not underestimating the Wolves, regardless of if Luka Graza plays or not.
Spoiler:
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,562

Post#124 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 am

Wolves in 6.
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#125 » by OfficialRef » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:24 pm

Klomp wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Similarly, I've wondered if we could see them put Gobert on Durant for stretches. I just think whether Towns or Gobert, it just helps the rest of the defensive matchups make much more sense.

This might be the worst idea possible. This is asking to get swept.

My reasoning:
Gobert is the only player we have who can exceed Durant in length. And Durant isn't really a driver any more, this year his free throws attempted are the lowest average since his rookie year. He's looking to shoot over guys. Gobert's length can neutralize that somewhat. But where it really makes a difference is that it normalizes the rest of our matchups. Towns is fine guarding Nurkic. Have Conley chase Allen. McDaniels can check Booker and Ant can defend Beal.

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of playing Gobert moreso for the rim protection and bigger body in the paint? Having him on Durant pulls him from that and neutralizes the effect of the multi defensive player of the year. I think Towns on SmallD is the better option as he has length and more strength than him.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,521

Post#126 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:38 pm

Ambrose wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Klomp wrote:The bolded tells me all I needed to know.

I don't really love the idea of Gobert being assigned to anyone though. When he's in the paint, teams can't score in the paint. If he's on Durant, he's on the wing and even if we imagine him doing a good job on Durant, I'm worried about what's happening on the rest of the court.

I'm down with something unorthodox, I'd just need to see it before I believe that one.

Ambrose, going 5-out against Gobert hasn't worked for teams all season. He does great out there. We don't want him out of the paint, but he's good at shutting down the perimeter. There's a whole season of tape on it now. When Gobert steps out, we have an army of 6'10"+ guys who can protect the rim in a pinch (exactly what Utah was lacking to make them vulnerable). What Phoenix wants to do is invert our paint protection. They want one of our bigs guarding a shooter, and the other on Nurkic who they use as a screen setter. You can't let Nurk set a screen for Booker (or Beal or Allen) and not contest Booker on the other side. That's an auto bucket.

It's going to be a series where Phoenix tries to force Minnesota to guard from positions of disadvantage, and Minnesota will need to get creative to hold their schemes. It will be like a tower defense video game.

There's a difference between going 5-out, and going 5-out guarding Kevin Durant. You basically say as much by saying they want bigs on shooters. I think you can admit that's a terrible idea, especially against a team that's already had your number this season.

They want our bigs on shooters because that means they aren't in the paint. It's about those bigs being bad against shooters, it's about making the rim harder to defend. Phoenix knows it can get decent midrange shots whenever it wants. All season they wrestled with strategies (and player tendencies) to find ways to get more points at the rim and from 3. They had a lot of success doing that against us specifically, in the regular season.

It will be interesting to see what the first adjustments are. Phoenix scored well in bursts against our base defense by shooting really well from 3 and opening up the paint (rather than bombard us in the midrange where our defense wants you to go). I think there's no way the Wolves play that base, knowing already that it's vulnerable against Phoenix.

People are rightfully pointing out that KD is more stationary at this stage in his career. When he does drive, it's almost always to get to his pullup game. We defended him with Karl Anthony-Towns most games, and I suspect that will be what we start off. I don't personally like the idea of Gobert on Durant, because you don't want to leave Durant open and we want Gobert to be able to roam as much as possible. The Suns make it really hard to stash someone on Nurkic because he's a full-time screener. Whoever guards Nurkic has to be ready to guard anyone he screens for. In a lot of our matchups, KD was the decoy, while Booker/Beal/Grayson got more primary action run for them. It's an interesting puzzle to figure out.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 527

Post#127 » by Jay_Sizzle » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 pm

I think this should be a great matchup. Minnesota has great defense, but the Suns seem to know how to attack. I think Minnesota has to find a way to keep Gobert at home in the paint. When the lane is clear (like last game)-- Beal just scores a layup everytime and they don't make Booker and Durant work on offense. I think they could make a 3-2 zone work against the Suns. Use Edwards and McDaniels to attack 3 point shooters and Gobert stays post.

Also the T-Wolves offense looks a lot better without Towns in my opinion. Ball moves better and there are better decision makers when he is off the court. Coach needs to define his role, because the T-Wolves are much easier to guard when he posts someone up from 20 feet out. It might needs to start out as a money 3-pt shooter that crashes the boards, rather than an ISO player right now.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,100

Post#128 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:49 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Wolves suck. Not even worth showing up. Just hand the Larry O'Brien to Phoenix already because they're unbeatable.

The majority of posts here are people saying that it will be a competitive series.

Who exactly wrote that the Wolves suck and that the Suns are unbeatable?

Most of the last three pages have been Wolves fans proposing glimmers of hope and reasons they feel the series may go differently than the regular season, and they've all been immediately shot down with a tone of "how dare you even post something positive about the Timberwolves because they have no chance". That's why I posted that with the snark I did. You are correct that the general tone of the thread as a whole has been much more neutral.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,412

Post#130 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:59 pm

Has there been one post in this thread that says the Wolves don't stand a chance?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm

SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,856

Post#132 » by SkyBill40 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude couldn't look up how to spell association? I mean.. dude. Were you guessing the first time or the second, because one is correct. LOL
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#133 » by darmani » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 am

Klomp wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
Klomp wrote:Wolves suck. Not even worth showing up. Just hand the Larry O'Brien to Phoenix already because they're unbeatable.

The majority of posts here are people saying that it will be a competitive series.

Who exactly wrote that the Wolves suck and that the Suns are unbeatable?

Most of the last three pages have been Wolves fans proposing glimmers of hope and reasons they feel the series may go differently than the regular season, and they've all been immediately shot down with a tone of "how dare you even post something positive about the Timberwolves because they have no chance". That's why I posted that with the snark I did. You are correct that the general tone of the thread as a whole has been much more neutral.

Victim complex much?
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#134 » by Crives » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 am

thinktank wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
I don't really love the idea of Gobert being assigned to anyone though. When he's in the paint, teams can't score in the paint. If he's on Durant, he's on the wing and even if we imagine him doing a good job on Durant, I'm worried about what's happening on the rest of the court.

I'm down with something unorthodox, I'd just need to see it before I believe that one.

Ambrose, going 5-out against Gobert hasn't worked for teams all season. He does great out there. We don't want him out of the paint, but he's good at shutting down the perimeter. There's a whole season of tape on it now. When Gobert steps out, we have an army of 6'10"+ guys who can protect the rim in a pinch (exactly what Utah was lacking to make them vulnerable). What Phoenix wants to do is invert our paint protection. They want one of our bigs guarding a shooter, and the other on Nurkic who they use as a screen setter. You can't let Nurk set a screen for Booker (or Beal or Allen) and not contest Booker on the other side. That's an auto bucket.

It's going to be a series where Phoenix tries to force Minnesota to guard from positions of disadvantage, and Minnesota will need to get creative to hold their schemes. It will be like a tower defense video game.

There's a difference between going 5-out, and going 5-out guarding Kevin Durant. You basically say as much by saying they want bigs on shooters. I think you can admit that's a terrible idea, especially against a team that's already had your number this season.

One of the main reasons we got beat so badly was that we tried not to switch and Rudy was barely guarding shooters coming off picks.

It’s not crazy to switch Gobert into a shooter, especially if it’s to never-driving Durant.

I think you’ll be surprised on two counts: How much we switch Gobert onto shooters after PnR, and how well Gobert does in those scenarios.

If there’s a Gobert weakness, it’s the stepback threes. But those are tough shots.

I believe the Wolves beat Boston by switching everything. We’ve done it before.

KD loves driving against mismatch still
Mone 24
Ballboy
And1: 41

Post#135 » by Mone 24 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am

Simple question: Assuming McDaniels and Edwards go after Durant and Booker and Gobert fights under the basket vs Nurkic, who runs behind Allen? Who's holding Beal?

Because if I think Conley has to defende on Beal in a PO series or Towns has to run behind Allen... Suns in 5
Life ain't a rehearsal, camera's always rollin' - Drake
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,770

Post#136 » by thinktank » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

Crives wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

One of the main reasons we got beat so badly was that we tried not to switch and Rudy was barely guarding shooters coming off picks.

It’s not crazy to switch Gobert into a shooter, especially if it’s to never-driving Durant.

I think you’ll be surprised on two counts: How much we switch Gobert onto shooters after PnR, and how well Gobert does in those scenarios.

If there’s a Gobert weakness, it’s the stepback threes. But those are tough shots.

I believe the Wolves beat Boston by switching everything. We’ve done it before.

KD loves driving against mismatch still

Let’s see.

The reports are that Finch has a bunch of adjustments ready.

Check the metrics for Rudy in space this year. They’re good.

Wolves beat writer Robson:

“But I’m not whistling in the dark when I contend that the Wolves’ NBA-best defense is being sold short by the odds-makers. The main reason it has risen to this level is Gobert’s newfound flexibility, his capability as well as his willingness to meet pick-and-rolls and his coverage assignment further away from the basket when necessary. Whether that requires the “low man” filling in for him at the rim or him getting back in time is something the Wolves have frequently honed according to the opponent and prevailing scheme. And Finch has had a week to sweat the details.”
"a poor addition to the board"
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,507

Post#137 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm

ESPN roujndtable picks...

collidingNeurons
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#138 » by collidingNeurons » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 am

bwgood77 wrote:ESPN roujndtable picks...

yeah but the same group picked bulls over heat 8 to 3
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,507

Post#139 » by bwgood77 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:35 am

collidingNeurons wrote:

That's good. Then they are sure to be wrong here too.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,557

Post#140 » by TimberKat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:48 am

bwgood77 wrote:
collidingNeurons wrote:

That's good. Then they are sure to be wrong here too.

I am a Wolves fan and I am glad they have confidence in Wolves because I don't.

Return to The General Board