2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Winner

Timberwolves in 4
12%
Timberwolves in 5
14%
Timberwolves in 6
20%
Timberwolves in 7
12%
Suns in 4
3%
Suns in 5
5%
Suns in 6
26%
Suns in 7
9%

Total votes: 292

VicG
Head Coach
And1: 2,026

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#1161 » by VicG » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 am

I think I’d the Wolves had some other mid-star (say Siakam) instead of Towns they’d be favourites to win the title.

Let’s be real, no team with KAT is winning a championship. The further you get in the playoffs the more of a liability he will become.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,618

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#1163 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:31 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:and hats off to the t-wolves.
they have a formidable supporting cast in Reid, NAW, Anderson and Conley
they earned their status and will have a huge match up vs the nuggets

I wouldn't be so quick to list Anderson.

Last year, 22-23, he was FANTASTIC but this year he has been pretty meh at best. He is absolutely capable but he seemingly fell off a cliff vs. What he was last year.

He still flashes what he was like last year but he has been the most inconsistent player this year.

I have no idea what to make of it but it is what it is

It's mostly a product of his shooting and the trickle down effect it has on his scoring game. He's not shooting 3s so he's also not taking advantage of close outs and getting to the rim. Tons of shots in the midrange to compensate.

It's also a role and roster thing. Last year he played most of the year without Conley or Towns, which made him not only a starter but eventually he was our defacto point guard. He was really the only one you could fully trust to make decisions with the ball in his hands. This year there's a full year of Conley, which shrinks the needs for SloMo, and Towns being healthy means he's coming off the bench.

The spacing was also better for him last year, with fewer bigs in the paint. Oh and Monte Morris now means we have a real backup PG so SloMo might not even be a consistent rotation guy in the playoffs if we play an 8-man rotation.

He's still been a very good playmaker utility guy (assists per 100 are actually up!), but hasn't had the same scoring confidence in a smaller role and his shot has abandoned him.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1164 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:35 pm

VicG wrote:I think I’d the Wolves had some other mid-star (say Siakam) instead of Towns they’d be favourites to win the title.

Let’s be real, no team with KAT is winning a championship. The further you get in the playoffs the more of a liability he will become.

I don't know what you mean by this.
Liability at what? Have you watched him play defense this year?

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1165 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:37 pm

Phoenix has looked completely unable to crack the T-Wolves defense so far, and the size problem won't be going away.

But... let's wait to see Phoenix at home before we start calling this series over. Continuing to hold Phoenix under 100 points is not automatic. The offensive firepower is there so if they find a crack they could get back in this series.

Series hasn't started until someone loses at home.

Doranku
Analyst
And1: 5,917

Post#1166 » by Doranku » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:37 pm

Loaded_Hollows wrote:KD lookin shakyyyyy babyyyyy

This one, I approve.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,542

Post#1167 » by Worm Guts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:38 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:and hats off to the t-wolves.
they have a formidable supporting cast in Reid, NAW, Anderson and Conley
they earned their status and will have a huge match up vs the nuggets

I wouldn't be so quick to list Anderson.

Last year, 22-23, he was FANTASTIC but this year he has been pretty meh at best. He is absolutely capable but he seemingly fell off a cliff vs. What he was last year.

He still flashes what he was like last year but he has been the most inconsistent player this year.

I have no idea what to make of it but it is what it is

It's mostly a product of his shooting and the trickle down effect it has on his scoring game. He's not shooting 3s so he's also not taking advantage of close outs and getting to the rim. Tons of shots in the midrange to compensate.

It's also a role and roster thing. Last year he played most of the year without Conley or Towns, which made him not only a starter but eventually he was our defacto point guard. He was really the only one you could fully trust to make decisions with the ball in his hands. This year there's a full year of Conley, which shrinks the needs for SloMo, and Towns being healthy means he's coming off the bench.

The spacing was also better for him last year, with fewer bigs in the paint. Oh and Monte Morris now means we have a real backup PG so SloMo might not even be a consistent rotation guy in the playoffs if we play an 8-man rotation.

He's still been a very good playmaker utility guy (assists per 100 are actually up!), but hasn't had the same scoring confidence in a smaller role and his shot has abandoned him.

I think it's mostly that he's lost confidence in his shot. Last year he shot 41% from 3 at 1.5 attempts per game, this year he shoots 23% at 0.6 per game.
He was never a volume shooter, but last year he was making the open shots. This year he's missing them and over time has become completely afraid to shoot threes.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,438

Post#1168 » by shi-woo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:59 pm

I just love this Wolves team, man. It's a shame how many teams are likable this year because just like in 22 it's going to be a bittersweet year as a Celtic fan watching them either beat a tam I love, or get beat by a team I would love to see win it all.

Minny is a legit contender when everything is humming, and they have the defense and 1v1 ability to squeak out those tough wins. They would smoke any team out West and out East not named Denver, Boston, or MIL with Giannis. So far their roleplayers have looked ready to play, and that's the most important part of a team looking to make a push. It's been NAW this series, could be Morris or Reid next series if they advance. Fun team to watch

I love the development of Ant, again showing everyone that the Low IQ label given to him coming out was a joke. I've been very very impressed with his willingness to let the game come to him so far these past two games, knowing when to go for it, and when to let others have a bite. The announcers were going at him a little last game for not hulking out, but I think him not doing that allowed the Wolves to stay consistent in their offense, unlike the Suns who just kept going 1v1 for long stretches. Love Ant, want him to get a ring so bad (unless it's against the Celtics this year :lol: )

Why so much hate for KAT btw? I get that he's kind of a feminine energy guy and a former #1, but he's been a solid player, and a steady option next to Ant. He's the main reason for this franchises turn around. Wolves were a laughing stock before drafting Karl, and every time you put another good player around him, they've made the playoffs. That's urualy a barometer for a solid impactful Big Man.
Rubio9Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,370

Post#1169 » by Rubio9Guy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:22 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
VicG wrote:I think I’d the Wolves had some other mid-star (say Siakam) instead of Towns they’d be favourites to win the title.

I will say, his decision making can be a liability. His third foul last night, that foul on KD when he jsut walked into him, and some of his turnovers last night were all just horrendous decisions.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 996

Post#1170 » by firedavidkahn » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 pm

So refreshing that when Ant is struggling on offense that he still finds a way to impact the game with his defense.

None of that shows up in a box score. It's why I laugh when he is compared to Booker and people say Booker is better (that's changing now) because his offensive stats are a bit better. Same with Rudy and McDaniels.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1171 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:31 pm

Rubio9Guy wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

I will say, his decision making can be a liability. His third foul last night, that foul on KD when he jsut walked into him, and some of his turnovers last night were all just horrendous decisions.

Oh I definitely agree with that, haha.
Keeping things simple for Towns is paramount for us having good offensive possessions. I'm always happy if he's shooting any kind of 3, attacking a driving lane that presents itself, or making quick passes in the flow of the offense. The second things slow down and Towns has the ball in his hands for an iso or postup, I'm not expecting any good to come of that.

I think Finch has done a good job nudging him towards his more ideal role. I've always said he has to be more like a big man version of Steph/Klay rather than trying to be like Jokic (which you can tell is what he wants). He's still a good passer when he's being reactive. It's really important for him to stay in the flow and not be thinking.

phnart
Junior
And1: 457

Post#1172 » by phnart » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 pm

Wolves are really good.

Suns.are.toast.
The moon is a ufo.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,445

Post#1173 » by Ambrose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:18 pm

Phoenix strikes me far more as a frontrunning team than a resilient one, so they're probably screwed. Their path to winning is so much harder than Minnesota's. This one seems over.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,843

Post#1174 » by Jadoogar » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 pm

Beal has a no trade clause btw.
I'll admit i was wrong about the Wolves, the defense has been amazing. Gobert was let down by the terrible Jazz perimeter defense and he took all the blame. He doesn't get played off the court when he has competent defenders in front. Suns, in theory, should be able to punish the drop defense but it's clearly not happening.
Quentin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,238

Post#1175 » by Quentin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:27 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:So refreshing that when Ant is struggling on offense that he still finds a way to impact the game with his defense.

None of that shows up in a box score. It's why I laugh when he is compared to Booker and people say Booker is better (that's changing now) because his offensive stats are a bit better. Same with Rudy and McDaniels.

Struggling? Being double and triple teamed but still working the offense in other ways?
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#1176 » by spanishninja » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:46 pm

I'm sorry Nuggets fans, we won't have softened the Wolves at all for you. Not that you needed the help but if anything Minnesota will be super confident after sweeping us bums.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,452

Post#1177 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm

spanishninja wrote:I'm sorry Nuggets fans, we won't have softened the Wolves at all for you. Not that you needed the help but if anything Minnesota will be super confident after sweeping us bums.

We'll never forgive you for this.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,792

Post#1178 » by thinktank » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:57 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Beal has a no trade clause btw.
I'll admit i was wrong about the Wolves, the defense has been amazing. Gobert was let down by the terrible Jazz perimeter defense and he took all the blame. He doesn't get played off the court when he has competent defenders in front. Suns, in theory, should be able to punish the drop defense but it's clearly not happening.

We're not dropping much.

For the Suns to win a game, Suns would need to find Nurkic rolling and he would have to play out of his mind.
"a poor addition to the board"
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,109

Post#1179 » by Laimbeer » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:50 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Phoenix has looked completely unable to crack the T-Wolves defense so far, and the size problem won't be going away.

But... let's wait to see Phoenix at home before we start calling this series over. Continuing to hold Phoenix under 100 points is not automatic. The offensive firepower is there so if they find a crack they could get back in this series.

Series hasn't started until someone loses at home.

Yup. KD, Booker and Beal were 18 of 45 from the field and 3 of 12 from three. I wouldn't count on that continuing. This could look very different back in Phoenix.
Rubio9Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,370

Post#1180 » by Rubio9Guy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Rubio9Guy wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

Oh I definitely agree with that, haha.
Keeping things simple for Towns is paramount for us having good offensive possessions. I'm always happy if he's shooting any kind of 3, attacking a driving lane that presents itself, or making quick passes in the flow of the offense. The second things slow down and Towns has the ball in his hands for an iso or postup, I'm not expecting any good to come of that.

I think Finch has done a good job nudging him towards his more ideal role. I've always said he has to be more like a big man version of Steph/Klay rather than trying to be like Jokic (which you can tell is what he wants). He's still a good passer when he's being reactive. It's really important for him to stay in the flow and not be thinking.

Yeah, KAT would be so much better off with thr Naz Reid approach. Get the ball and just go

Return to The General Board